Start by marking “Sympathy Between Humans” as Want to Read:
Sympathy Between Humans

Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  28 reviews
On the streets of Minneapolis, Sarah has worked everything from vice to missing persons. But six months after the death of a small-town criminal in rural Minnesota, Sarah is still protecting the identity of a killer. And now a zealous D.A.'s investigator has come to town, determined to make an arrest. With her ex-partner half a world away and her husband in prison, only Sa ...more
Published 2006 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sympathy Between Humans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sympathy Between Humans

Linda
Jodi Compton has toned up her plotting skills in Sympathy Between Humans, the sequel to her debut novel, The 37th Hour. In 37th, protagonist Detective Sarah Pribeck embarked on a search for her missing husband, only two months after their marriage. It becomes evident that his disappearance is connected to the murder of her partner's daughter. Although the murderer got off on a technicality, his later death in an arson fire remains an open case. As Sympathy Between Humans opens, her husband has b ...more
Karschtl
Although I read the first book of this series only 18 months ago, I only remembered the rough storyline. But not exactly why Sarah and her husband fell out. It's not explained in this book either, and it's not necessarily important for the story, I was just curious.
Anyway, here Sarah is confronted with actually 3 cases at one:
1. the investigation of her own role in the death of Shorty (which took place in the first book)
2. finding Aidan Hennessy (a 17 year old runaway)
3. stopping a doctor from p
Bookmarks Magazine

Compton's second police procedural reintroduces the emotionally unstable Sarah Pribek and advances the storyline from The 37th Hour. Once again, Compton delivers a compelling plot and fully-realized characters with convincing problems of the mind and heart__as one character notes, "the mathematics of the human psyche." Disarmingly complex, the novel asks tough questions about law and morality; Sarah, for better or for worse, takes matters into her own hands when the law does not deliver justice.

Ann
Sympathy Between Humans, Jodi Compton's second novel with main character, Hennepin County Sheriff's Detective Sarah Pribek, is a stunning and powerful story. I didn't imagine that Compton could deliver as edgy and intense a book to match the first, The 37th Hour, but I was wrong - Sympathy Between Humans does it again.
Sarah is unequaled in her zeal to do her job and is a loner who lives under the shadow of her husband's actions and her own, striving to survive the upheaval of having both her pa
Cathy
A great follow-up to "The 37th Hour". Detective Sarah Pribek is being investigated for murder - many law enforcement officials believe she's guilty - one in particular is determined to bring her to justice and others are pleased she took that scumbag out and got away with it. A young woman comes into the sheriff's department wanting help in finding her missing twin brother; as the family is temporarily without a parent, Sarah gets assigned to supervise them. She's also sent out to hunt down a ma ...more
Josh
‘Sympathy Among Humans’ focuses around local cop Sara and her four investigations; runaway teen, illegal practicing doctor, liquor store holdups, and the murder of Shorty (bad guy from the first book). All added a little something to Sara’s character development with the doctor investigation proving particularly entertaining – each of these combined to maintain a solid pacing and easy to follow plot. I can’t help but think would’ve liked this book even more if I’d read the first in the series. W ...more
Lester
Hmmnnn..I did enjoy this book. I read it in two 'sittings'..staying up until just after 4am to finish it!! Thankx Jodi Compton.
Mariola Clark
Gritty engaging but not happy sunshine
Yvonne Mendez
I enjoyed this book very much, it was a great sequel to 37th Hour and I'm hoping for a third book in the series since I can't believe Sara's and Shiloh's marriage is over, though I'm very glad she was able to keep herself out of jail.

It was interesting to see how, in the middle of all her personal problems, Sara Pribek is still able to concentrate on solving a case that involves a strange family.

The mystery is very good as is the storytelling, I look forward in reading more from Jodi Compton
Linda
I "read" this as an unabridged audiobook, read by Marie St. Clair. The reading was excellent.
Characterization was excellent, Sarah Pribek really came to life, she's an intriguing character. Toward the end, I felt things seemed a bit rushed.
I enjoyed this book, but it was a little bit heavy on the "language" and violence; this wouldn't qualify as a "gentle book", but then cop stories aren't usually gentle--it's a rough world out there.
Aine Dunne
I liked this book. It's not really a detective story..the fact that the main character is a detective is almost incidental. The detective becomes guardian of a group of children who's father is ill. The story centers around finding our about a missing brother. Interesting read, reasonably well written and a bit of a twist at the end....no nobel prize winner but not bad at all.
Maryann
The ramifications of the murder of Shorty, the man who had murdered the daughter of Detective Sarah Pribeck's partner from the first book is still following Sarah around. It effects everything in her professional career, and that causes Sarah's judgement in personal and professional issues to be clouded. Many of the events from the first book shape what happen in the second book.
Pete Aldin
This I think is the second in a series. Not having read the first didn't seem to affect my enjoyment of this novel, largely because the author refers back to its events enough for me to understand what's come before.

A slow-paced but enjoyable crime novel. It dealt with issues I hadn't seen in a novel before and kept my interest til the end.
Sandy
I am so frustrated that this came out in 2005. Will there be more about Sarah Pribeck? I want more.
Very sad story compounded by choices and consequences that lead into more and more difficulty and heartbreak.
Super good writing and storytelling!
Kari
Much better than the first one. There was real growth in Sarah. It was a great character study. I wish she had given us more closure in the relationship with her husband. It doesn't look like she is continuing the series. That is a shame.
Kae Cheatham
May 13, 2011 Kae Cheatham marked it as didnt-finish  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculous character development. I had NO sympathy for whatever happened to the protagonist, the same character as in The 37th Hour.
VMom
I liked this better than the prequel, The 37th Hour. In fact, I think this book redeemed the ending of the prequel.
I really admire the way Compton draws the characters; they are quite three-dimensional.
Jill
Jul 06, 2012 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: police, suspense, jodi compton
This book took me a bit longer to finish, but I thought it was good. I had read the first book The 37th Hour a while back and was happy to see the follow up. Can't wait to read more of this series.
Erika
See review of "The 37th Hour" for my thoughts on this author. (And this book is really good, too. A wonderful second chapter in what I hope will be an ongoing series featuring Sarah Pribek.)
Frederic
Fulfills the promise of "The 37th Hour"...Sarah Pribek is a heroic but very believable protagonist...much better than the formulaic,but enjoyable,"Hailey's War"...
Eunira
I enjoyed this book better than her first, The 37th Hour. Characters were more developed and the storyline was flowed better.
Derla
I was glad I had read/listened to her first book as some of the incidences in that book were referred to in this book.
Sharon Zink
I hope there's a sequel! She does a good job of tying up loose ends.
Kristine Cornman
Read it in a couple hours-was very good! :)
Lydia
the 37th hour was better..
Chris
Ned. Titel: Het kille huis
Samantha
I read this in 2 days before visiting China for the summer.
the ending actually surprised me; and I usually predict plot lines pretty well. kinda made me think back on the book for the next 2 weeks. which for me is a sign of a good book
Alfonsina
Alfonsina marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • The Half Life of Stars
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Hades
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Dolled Up For Murder (Gretchen Birch, #1)
  • Getting Old Is the Best Revenge (Gladdy Gold, #2)
  • Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet
  • Children of the Street
  • Lying With the Dead
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Our Little Secret
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • Instruments of Darkness (Bruce Medway, #1)
  • For Whom the Minivan Rolls (Aaron Tucker Mystery #1)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
Jodi Compton, like Hailey Cain, is "Californian in a way a lot of people are Californian; I was born someplace else." Jodi has lived in California since the age of one, excepting a brief stint in Minneapolis. She is the author of two previous crime novels, The 37th Hour and Sympathy Between Humans. She currently lives in Northern California with her Lab mix, Lady Bird.
More about Jodi Compton...
The 37th Hour (Sarah Pribek #1) Hailey's War (Hailey's War #1) Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot (Hailey's War #2)