Start by marking “The Realms Of Gold” as Want to Read:
The Realms Of Gold

Margaret Drabble

The Realms Of Gold

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Florence Wingate, a successful archeologist, is a divorcee with a family. She has been separated from her married lover, Karel Schmidt, for several years, but now realizes that she truly loves him. She writes to him but the post card gets delayed. Unhappily she goes on with her family and professional life, discovers some unknown relatives in the English Midlands and tries ...more
Published (first published October 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Realms Of Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Realms Of Gold

David
I've always liked Margaret Drabble's work more than that of her (more successful?) sister, A.S. Byatt. This may be just a residual consequence of having "met" her while I was in college. She had been invited to lecture by someone in the English department, and at the time I used to hang out with some of the women in English lit, so we ended up after the lecture having tea and biscuits in Josephine's flat with the eminent speaker, who was totally charming.

I think the reason I enjoy her fiction is
The beginning of my love affair with Margaret Drabble's work, and precedes her other opus: The Radiant Way. Realms of Gold is the kind of book that will always evoke the memory of where you were and what you were doing when you first read it. Intelligent writing and an intelligent but flawed heroine whose thoughts and corresponding narrative weave through her relationships and the British class/economic system of the later 20th century. This is not chick lit., it is Women's Literature!
Linda
It's been a long time since I've read "the Margarets" - Lawrence, Drabble, and Atwood.
This one was published in the '70's and shows it a bit. The main character, Frances Wingate, is
a well-known archaeologist yet also the mother of four children, divorced, and having a serious
affair with a married man. This is a character driven book. Drabble has made Frances an intriguing woman, and I enjoyed being inside her head. The plot meanders somewhat but does a good job of taking you through ordinary liv
Esther
I've read nearly everything MB has written, she's like the book equivalent of sinking into a hot bath - stimulating but relaxing. All her books are very much of their time - this one written in the mid 1970s revolves around a divorced archeologist discovering her family roots.
Shellye M.
I discovered Margaret Drabble when this book was assigned for a class my last quarter in college. And it was a transformative novel -- it was like pulling back a curtain and flooding a room with sunlight. Even though I'd read novels by women writers throughout my undergrad years, this was a serious, contemporary novel by a woman and featured a complex, distinctive, female protagonist and it ROCKED my world! When I talked to my professors about serious contemporary writers, here's who came up -- ...more
zespri
Hilarious. I think Margaret Drabble must have a lot of fun writing, as i just find her books so enjoyable in a quirky, off-beat sort of way.

This one written in 1975 is the story of Frances Wingate, an archaeologist with a major find under her belt, who seems to travel the world on speaking tours and conferences, leaving her 4 children behind to sort of fend for themselves. All very liberated woman stuff, but Frances still is hankering for more. How the author thinks of the odd situations Frances
Annis Pratt
This is only one of Margaret Drabble's wonderfully detailed (often like the interior of a Dutch painting) and funnily conceived tragi-comic novels about life among intelligent women loving and living in England during the last decades of the twentieth century. These novels (see also The Middle Ground and The Radiant Way) have marvellous plots, a lot of deep thinking that only underlines her deft characterization. My all time favorite novels.
Erica
Not quite perfect - the narrator stepped in too often, the plot was tidier than it needed to be - but pretty close. I loved Frances Wingate, her messy glamorous life, her family and lovers, but I love Margaret Drabble more, for writing something that feels more interesting and honest than anything I've read recently.
Rachel Jones
This was recommended to me by a The World According to Garp fan and I'm such a John Irving fiend that I thought for sure I'd love this novel.

I got 15 pages in and I had to give up. The never-ending neurotic inner monologue of an average, middle aged woman? Not exactly compelling material.
Seraphina
I couldn't finish this book. Perhaps it was due more to the incredibly small type face than to the very slowly developing plot. Perhaps I'll try another day.
Fay
I've read most most of her books a very long time ago.....just remember enjoying them.
Cicy
I haven't been able to finish it... it just doesn't move fast enough for me
Carolyn
Enjoyed this. It rings true and avoids the obvious. Also fun to read.
Emma
Sep 04, 2011 Emma marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Same isbn Penguin different cover
Christine
I adored this book in college and read it many times since. I especially appreciate Drabble's empathetic view of her characters and her juxtaposition of the beauty of the mundane with the difficulties of living in a modern world.
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Jacques Willems
Jacques Willems marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Janetlnorrisgmail.com
Janetlnorrisgmail.com marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Starsinthesky
Starsinthesky marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
  • A Glass of Blessings
  • The History Man
  • Little Wilson and Big God: The First Part of the Confession
  • A Misalliance
  • Cheerfulness Breaks In (Barsetshire #9)
  • At Mrs Lippincote's
  • Tunc
  • The Officers' Ward
  • Bilgewater
  • The Thirtieth Year: Stories
  • Mother and Two Daughters
  • A Proper Marriage (Children of Violence, #2)
  • The Nice and the Good
MARGARET DRABBLE is the author of The Sea Lady, The Seven Sisters, The Peppered Moth, and The Needle's Eye, among other novels. For her contributions to contemporary English literature, she was made a Dame of the British Empire in 2008.

Drabble has famously been engaged in a long-running feud with her novelist sister, A.S. Byatt, over the alleged appropriation of a family tea-set in one of her nove
More about Margaret Drabble...
The Red Queen The Millstone The Seven Sisters The Radiant Way The Pure Gold Baby

“Too much of the world was inhospitable, intractable... Why prove that it had ever once been green?” 3 likes