Start by marking “Bible: The Story of the King James Version 1611–2011” as Want to Read:
Bible: The Story of the King James Version 1611–2011

Bible: The Story of the King James Version 1611–2011

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Produced during the lifetime of Shakespeare and Donne, the King James Version of the Bible has long been viewed as the most elegantly written and poetic of the many English translations. Now reaching its four hundredth anniversary, it remains one of the most frequently used Bibles in the English-speaking world, especially in America.
Lavishly illustrated with reproductions
Published October 15th 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published October 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bible

Central Beat
Jan 03, 2013 Central Beat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gordon Campbell is a scholar in his own right. He is a professor at Oxford and Oxford happens to play a central role in developing the most popular translation of the Holy Bible. It was commissioned by King James and came to fruition in 1611.

400 years later, Campbell uses historical documents to chronicle how the King James version of the Holy Bible came to be. It is an amazing look at the development of the most incredible book there ever was.

After reading this book, you realize the importance
Audrey Breen
May 18, 2013 Audrey Breen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
An accessible exploration of the compilation, writing and publishing of the King James Bible. Not a religious book, it's a book about the English language. It slows down when it gets to the publishing section, but you can't beat the Sinister Bible where the publisher "accidentally" printed "thou shall commit adultery!"
Paula
Nov 12, 2011 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Gordon Campbell thoroughly examines the history of the King James Version of the bible from all aspects of it’s development over 400 years. While sketching in the political and social background of each century of KJV, Campbell describes the impact of various translators, editors, printers, and publishers on the shaping of it. In giving a detailed “affectionate biography” of the King James Version, Campbell provides an educational account of the evolution of book publishing which I found especia ...more
Truehobbit
Nov 26, 2012 Truehobbit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written on commission for the 400th anniversary of the publication of the KJV, this book traces the history of the KJV from its predecessors via the actual writing process to its reception up to the present day, as well as the history and reception of the various revisions. It is scholarly enough to satisfy the historian and brief enough to be a pleasant and entertaining read.

I got the book when it was on special offer for the Kindle. The Kindle version is well made, retains the illustrations,
Leslie
Why read a book about another book you say? It's all Stephanie's and Lisa's and Nikki's fault for raising the intellectual reading bar off the charts high. And that darn new release shelf at the library. And because it makes me look and feel smarter than I actually am. Way. Smarter. Scriptures. I hear they're amazing when you actually read and understand them. This is something I've always struggled with. Especially the Old Testament. Way too boring. And I love to read. So, I'm learning a little ...more
Gary
Oct 01, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deals with the original translation process, the various 17th Century editions and subsequent updates and re-translations in a calm, scholarly way. The author makes few open judgements but his bias still is obvious enough: he is in favour of an evolving, eclectic textual base and a modernised English text. He may also be liberal in his theology, as evidenced by his choice of translation issues and the way in which he handles later criticism of 'the new translations'.

Still, he understands the gro
Melinda
May 19, 2014 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful to see how the original texts were translated and formulated into the KJV that is the top book for all Chrisitans
Conyers
Sep 27, 2011 Conyers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm really enjoying this more than I thought I would. He has divided the chapters really well, so that you deal with the printers, the illustrations, etc., in their appropriate section. And, he has some very humorous observations sprinkle throughout.

I would recommend this to anyone interested in the history of the King James Version, without getting too bogged down. And, there the examples are usually accompanied with photos, so that helps a lot!
Jack Getz
Oct 15, 2012 Jack Getz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this story and Campbell tells it with good humor and amazing scholarship. More than dry history for me. It's yet another step in my understanding of where we get our modern and often errant ideas about our faith. There's a lot of dogma floating around Christianity that need light as that found in this book. Somewhat scholarly in nature so it requires a serious approach from the reader.
Michelle
Nov 14, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish the very last chapter as it got more technical about the differences between the early Bibles and the nuances in translations. I preferred the earlier chapters that told about the beginnings of the KJV, the stories of the people involved, and the controversy surrounding the different bibles including the KJV.
Joshua Foote
Dec 30, 2013 Joshua Foote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
KJV

very in depth study on the history of the king James bible a history and not really a persuasive argument to the kjvo camp
Volsung
Dec 18, 2010 Volsung marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm really looking forward to this book. (And it arrives just in time for the 400th anniversary of the "Authorized" translation of the Bible!)
Margaret D'Anieri
The king James version celebrates it's 400th year, and this is a detailed but very readable account of its production and evolution.
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2011 Stephanie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Someone had the nerve to reserve this (Leslie, was it you?!?) so I had to return it to the library without finishing it. Bah.
PWRL
Aug 23, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Aaron Matthews
Aaron Matthews is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2016
Salim Soukieh
Salim Soukieh marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Benjamin Lowery
Benjamin Lowery rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Steve Laube
Steve Laube marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Sarah Watkins
Sarah Watkins marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
John Hill
John Hill marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Doug Frazier
Doug Frazier marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Kevin Davies
Kevin Davies rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Kevin
Kevin added it
Sep 28, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
David Newton
David Newton marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Gordon Campbell is a professor, a Renaissance and seventeenth-century specialist with a particular interest in John Milton, and well known for his expertise regarding the King James Bible. His broader interests in cultural history include art, architecture, Biblical studies, classical antiquity, garden history, legal history, historical theology and the Islamic world.
More about Gordon Campbell...