Start by marking “Bible: The Story of the King James Version 1611–2011” as Want to Read:
Bible: The Story of the King James Version 1611–2011

Bible: The Story of the King James Version 1611–2011

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Produced during the lifetime of Shakespeare and Donne, the King James Version of the Bible has long been viewed as the most elegantly written and poetic of the many English translations. Now reaching its four hundredth anniversary, it remains one of the most frequently used Bibles in the English-speaking world, especially in America.
Lavishly illustrated with reproductions...more
Published October 15th 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published October 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bible

Central Beat
Gordon Campbell is a scholar in his own right. He is a professor at Oxford and Oxford happens to play a central role in developing the most popular translation of the Holy Bible. It was commissioned by King James and came to fruition in 1611.

400 years later, Campbell uses historical documents to chronicle how the King James version of the Holy Bible came to be. It is an amazing look at the development of the most incredible book there ever was.

After reading this book, you realize the importance...more
Paula
Gordon Campbell thoroughly examines the history of the King James Version of the bible from all aspects of it’s development over 400 years. While sketching in the political and social background of each century of KJV, Campbell describes the impact of various translators, editors, printers, and publishers on the shaping of it. In giving a detailed “affectionate biography” of the King James Version, Campbell provides an educational account of the evolution of book publishing which I found especia...more
Truehobbit
Written on commission for the 400th anniversary of the publication of the KJV, this book traces the history of the KJV from its predecessors via the actual writing process to its reception up to the present day, as well as the history and reception of the various revisions. It is scholarly enough to satisfy the historian and brief enough to be a pleasant and entertaining read.

I got the book when it was on special offer for the Kindle. The Kindle version is well made, retains the illustrations,...more
Leslie
Why read a book about another book you say? It's all Stephanie's and Lisa's and Nikki's fault for raising the intellectual reading bar off the charts high. And that darn new release shelf at the library. And because it makes me look and feel smarter than I actually am. Way. Smarter. Scriptures. I hear they're amazing when you actually read and understand them. This is something I've always struggled with. Especially the Old Testament. Way too boring. And I love to read. So, I'm learning a little...more
Gary
Deals with the original translation process, the various 17th Century editions and subsequent updates and re-translations in a calm, scholarly way. The author makes few open judgements but his bias still is obvious enough: he is in favour of an evolving, eclectic textual base and a modernised English text. He may also be liberal in his theology, as evidenced by his choice of translation issues and the way in which he handles later criticism of 'the new translations'.

Still, he understands the gro...more
Melinda
Wonderful to see how the original texts were translated and formulated into the KJV that is the top book for all Chrisitans
Conyers
I'm really enjoying this more than I thought I would. He has divided the chapters really well, so that you deal with the printers, the illustrations, etc., in their appropriate section. And, he has some very humorous observations sprinkle throughout.

I would recommend this to anyone interested in the history of the King James Version, without getting too bogged down. And, there the examples are usually accompanied with photos, so that helps a lot!
Jack Getz
Love this story and Campbell tells it with good humor and amazing scholarship. More than dry history for me. It's yet another step in my understanding of where we get our modern and often errant ideas about our faith. There's a lot of dogma floating around Christianity that need light as that found in this book. Somewhat scholarly in nature so it requires a serious approach from the reader.
Michelle
I didn't finish the very last chapter as it got more technical about the differences between the early Bibles and the nuances in translations. I preferred the earlier chapters that told about the beginnings of the KJV, the stories of the people involved, and the controversy surrounding the different bibles including the KJV.
Audrey Breen
An accessible exploration of the compilation, writing and publishing of the King James Bible. Not a religious book, it's a book about the English language. It slows down when it gets to the publishing section, but you can't beat the Sinister Bible where the publisher "accidentally" printed "thou shall commit adultery!"
Joshua Foote
KJV

very in depth study on the history of the king James bible a history and not really a persuasive argument to the kjvo camp
Volsung
Dec 18, 2010 Volsung marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm really looking forward to this book. (And it arrives just in time for the 400th anniversary of the "Authorized" translation of the Bible!)
Margaret D'Anieri
The king James version celebrates it's 400th year, and this is a detailed but very readable account of its production and evolution.
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2011 Stephanie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Someone had the nerve to reserve this (Leslie, was it you?!?) so I had to return it to the library without finishing it. Bah.
PWRL
Aug 23, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Juho
Juho is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2014
Joe
Joe added it
Jul 16, 2014
Mallory Hall
Mallory Hall marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
John Gowan
John Gowan marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Gordon Campbell is a professor, a Renaissance and seventeenth-century specialist with a particular interest in John Milton, and well known for his expertise regarding the King James Bible. His broader interests in cultural history include art, architecture, Biblical studies, classical antiquity, garden history, legal history, historical theology and the Islamic world.
More about Gordon Campbell...
The Holy Bible: King James Version, Quatercentenary Edition The Hermit in the Garden: From Imperial Rome to Ornamental Gnome John Milton: Life, Work, and Thought Ben Jonson: The Alchemist and Other Plays The Grove Encyclopedia of Classical Art & Architecture: Two Volumes