Start by marking “Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR): Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures” as Want to Read:

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  176 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This volume provides the definitive guide to Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), the psychotherapeutic approach developed by Francine Shapiro. EMDR is one of the most widely investigated treatments for posttraumatic stress disorder, and many other applications are also being explored. Presenting background on EMDR's development, theoretical constructs, an ...more
ebook, Second Edition, 472 pages
Published August 6th 2001 by Guilford Publications (first published April 24th 1995)

Be the first to ask a question about Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)

Cooper Cooper
Aug 02, 2009 Cooper Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the textbook for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing—as opposed to the popular book titled EMDR. The popular book is much more readable, citing numerous case examples and transcripts of actual therapy sessions, while the textbook is much more thorough, presenting the nitty-gritty, step-by-step details on how to perform the therapy.
EMDR is a technique for treating psychological problems caused by trauma. Initially, it was applied primarily to combat veterans and rape victims s
James
Mar 07, 2008 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Counselors, therapists, and social workers who use EMDR with clients
The primary clinical manual on an unconventional but often highly effective treatment method for PTSD and other problems, by the creator of that treatment. Having been trained in EMDR and used it with clients for years, I can attest to the fact that for many people, though not all, it works powerfully to help them get over the lasting effects of whatever trauma they have survived, to move on. It also works for phobias, addictions, and some other problems.
The book is not a substitute for the form
Tamsiwoo
Jan 07, 2015 Tamsiwoo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An accurate and helpful account by the founding therapist of this therapy. A must have for anyone training to be an EMDR practitioner!
Carri
Aug 03, 2011 Carri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written book on basic principles & procedures used in EMDR therapy. Primarily geared for Professionals utilizing the techniques in psychotherapy, yet still a good read for those interested in broadening understanding in alternate methods, perspectives, therapies & theories with trauma treatment. I purchased to expand possible healing alternatives for a Vietnam VET experiencing PTSD. Turns out to be extremely beneficial in these instances. A recommended read.
Joanie
May 04, 2008 Joanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been reading this since January for a certification program in EMDR and I finally finished today. As far as textbooks go this one is pretty readable but I'm still really glad to be done!

The book does a great job of explaining the whole protocol but it definitely needs to be used in conjunction with coursework and clinical supervision-the book alone is not enough by any means.
Jason
Mar 12, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
The textbook for EMDR; an indispensable tool for the modern trauma therapist. A modality that has forced the field to rethink what therapy looks like.

The text outlines the basic procedure of EMDR with additional attention given to specific situations and populations. Read it while taking a training to enrich the whole learning experience.
Linda
Feb 15, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read through majority of book (first 8 chapters) and will complete as I use the technique and further my formal training on subject. Is clearly a text book and it best accompanied by the formal training to appreciate the topic.
Stanley Hall
I love this stuff! I don't even use the eye-movement with my clients anymore because LDSFS doesn't allow it, but the techniques and the concepts taught in this book have helped me reduce post-trauma in hundreds of clients.
Jerry Lane
May 25, 2015 Jerry Lane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Just real technical and definitely a textbook type read which is difficult for my brain to maintain focus so that's more about me and not about the author so I will change my 4 stars to a 5
Amy
Jun 30, 2010 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counseling
good book to learn the basics of EMDR, primarily written for clinicians who are getting trained to implement this form of psychotherapy.
Nate
Sep 02, 2012 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Outlines EMDR work. Not for non-licensed clinicians.
Noelle
Jul 18, 2011 Noelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breakthrough treatment for trauma...
Jessica Brazeal
Jul 18, 2016 Jessica Brazeal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: therapy
Changed the way I practice.
Connie Cox
Connie Cox rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Amanda Diane
Amanda Diane is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2016
Carrie Matheson
Carrie Matheson marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Mege1973
Mege1973 is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Sara
Sara is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2016
Kathy Kirstner
Kathy Kirstner rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Cassie
Cassie is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2016
Carol O'Brien
Carol O'Brien rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
kat deary
kat deary rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Leslie P
Leslie P is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2016
James Chembeni
James Chembeni marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Carolyn Martone
Carolyn Martone marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Jamey
Jamey rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Marne
Marne added it
Jun 18, 2016
  • Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and Society
  • Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders: A Step-by-Step Treatment Manual
  • Inside Out and Outside in: Psychodynamic Clinical Theory and Practice in Contemporary Multicultural Contexts
  • The Making and Breaking of Affectional Bonds
  • Narrative Therapy: The Social Construction of Preferred Realities
  • Schema Therapy: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists
  • Cognitive Therapy of Depression
  • Overcoming Low Self Esteem: A Self Help Guide To Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Mindfulness and Psychotherapy
  • Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010
  • Almost a Psychopath: Do I (or Does Someone I Know) Have a Problem with Manipulation and Lack of Empathy?
  • Affective Neuroscience: The Foundations of Human and Animal Emotions
  • Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder
  • In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness
  • Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: An Experiential Approach to Behavior Change