Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR): Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This volume provides the definitive guide to Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), the psychotherapeutic approach developed by Francine Shapiro. EMDR is one of the most widely investigated treatments for posttraumatic stress disorder, and many other applications are also being explored. Presenting background on EMDR's development, theoretical constructs, an...more
ebook, Second Edition, 472 pages
Published August 1st 2001 by Guilford Publications (first published April 24th 1995)

Cooper Cooper
This is the textbook for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing—as opposed to the popular book titled EMDR. The popular book is much more readable, citing numerous case examples and transcripts of actual therapy sessions, while the textbook is much more thorough, presenting the nitty-gritty, step-by-step details on how to perform the therapy.
EMDR is a technique for treating psychological problems caused by trauma. Initially, it was applied primarily to combat veterans and rape victims s...more
James
Mar 07, 2008 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Counselors, therapists, and social workers who use EMDR with clients
The primary clinical manual on an unconventional but often highly effective treatment method for PTSD and other problems, by the creator of that treatment. Having been trained in EMDR and used it with clients for years, I can attest to the fact that for many people, though not all, it works powerfully to help them get over the lasting effects of whatever trauma they have survived, to move on. It also works for phobias, addictions, and some other problems.
The book is not a substitute for the form...more
Carri
Well written book on basic principles & procedures used in EMDR therapy. Primarily geared for Professionals utilizing the techniques in psychotherapy, yet still a good read for those interested in broadening understanding in alternate methods, perspectives, therapies & theories with trauma treatment. I purchased to expand possible healing alternatives for a Vietnam VET experiencing PTSD. Turns out to be extremely beneficial in these instances. A recommended read.
Joanie
I've been reading this since January for a certification program in EMDR and I finally finished today. As far as textbooks go this one is pretty readable but I'm still really glad to be done!

The book does a great job of explaining the whole protocol but it definitely needs to be used in conjunction with coursework and clinical supervision-the book alone is not enough by any means.
Linda
Read through majority of book (first 8 chapters) and will complete as I use the technique and further my formal training on subject. Is clearly a text book and it best accompanied by the formal training to appreciate the topic.
Stanley Hall
I love this stuff! I don't even use the eye-movement with my clients anymore because LDSFS doesn't allow it, but the techniques and the concepts taught in this book have helped me reduce post-trauma in hundreds of clients.
Amy
good book to learn the basics of EMDR, primarily written for clinicians who are getting trained to implement this form of psychotherapy.
Nate
Outlines EMDR work. Not for non-licensed clinicians.
Noelle
Breakthrough treatment for trauma...
Laura is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2014
Hubert
Hubert marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Darcia
Darcia marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Anaïs
Anaïs marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Nick
Nick added it
Jun 01, 2014
Michelle Shelley
Michelle Shelley marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Jane Cohen
Jane Cohen marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Greg
Greg added it
Jul 04, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
EMDR: The Breakthrough "Eye Movement" Therapy For Overcoming Anxiety, Stress, And Trauma Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy Handbook of EMDR and Family Therapy Processes EMDR: The Breakthrough Therapy for Overcoming Anxiety, Stress, and Trauma