Start by marking “Infidel (The Lost Books, #2)” as Want to Read:
Infidel (The Lost Books, #2)

Infidel (The Lost Books #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  4,729 ratings  ·  165 reviews
From Chosen to Traitor?

After being stretched to their limits, the four heroic young Forest Guard recruits Johnis, Silvie, Billos, and Darsal face new dangers on their mission to secure the seven lost Books of History.

Unknown Binding, 272 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published December 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Infidel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infidel

Ben
I definitely enjoyed Infidel a lot more than Chosen, which is the first book in the series. You can really tell that these books are written for a YA audience, but that doesn't make them not worth your time.

They aren't as well written as the Circle Trilogy, but one thing I do enjoy about these books is that we get to explore the world through the eyes of other characters.

Primarily, you experience it through the main four teenage characters in the Forest Guard. Thomas Hunter returns as a seconda
Kassandra
THis books was the first books to hit me hard. The ending when Karas saved Johnis he was brought before the court in the Forrest of Middle. And he said he loved Kara as he did his own sister because she reminded him so much like her. He loved a Scab. That is like Jesus loving me, a sinner. Johnis knelt down so that he was at eye level with her and told her, "You saved my life. And now I owe you mine." That was the best part of the whole book. AT LEAST FOR ME. I was moved by the love Johnis had f ...more
Simon Taylor
The Lost Books series continues, and remains slow, frustrating and below par. How can it be that these books followed the likes of Thr3e and Blink in Dekker’s career? It seems as though he’s gathered the silt at the bottom of his idea trove and is just getting rid of it all in one excruciating series.

Rather like Chosen, this midquel sequel follows one act in a larger story. The escapades of Johnis et al follow, but are not directly caused by, the events of the previous book. At its conclusion, t
Randy Tramp
Infidel by Ted Dekker
The Book:
Four teen heric and young Forest recruits – Johnis, Silvie, Billos and Darsal – are pressed to go on their mission to secure the seven lost Books of History.
From the heights of being a hero to being called a fool, Johnis rushes to save his mother. His heart overpowers his mind as he seeks to save those he loves.
My Thoughts:
This is the second book of the Lost Books series. I find myself wanting to be around the characters. Johnis is young and risks everything for lov
Kirsten Gerlywich
I definitely enjoyed Infidel more than Chosen. I felt more engaged with the plot and the characters. Having read the Circle series previously, it is interesting to see what happens through the eyes of the younger Forest Guard. I especially loved getting a closer look into the Horde and their society, seeing just how human they actually are.

Infidel is a quick and easy read, fast paced with a lot of action. It is definitely written for a YA audience but I think that the fantasy and the interestin
izzy
So far in Infidel, the main character, Jonas, discovered that his mom was alive but kept captive by his village's only enemy, the horde. Jonas first took out thousands of men and went into a battle that he didn't need to go into.
Horde are people covered in scabs and swells who live out in the middle of the dessert and eat wheat cakes, wine made from wheat, and muddy water. They are people who got stranded out in the dessert and the disease infected their mind.
The disease infects people who haven
Kate
Argh! Why does this happen? The story was moving along so well in Chosen but then in Infidel we veer off into convoluted action, inane dialog, and questionable motivations. I liked the additional backstory on Martyn and the Horde, but otherwise a frustrating book.
15vincents
The book Infidel by Ted Dekker tells of the journey of a boy named Jhonis to find all seven of the original books of history, but over all other things, he must rescue his mother. Jhonis' mother, Rosa, was kidnapped many years ago while trying to find some cacti to cure Jhonis from a sickness. She was put into slavery, forever to work at the Dark Priest's house.
My absolute favorite part was when the daughter of the high priest, a ten year old girl named Karas, came with water that would turn
Abbey
AAAA MAAAA GOSH!!!
after reading chosen , this book just takes it up a notch. have to say that it was a little bit in front of chosen but all the same i love his writing.
One thing though, It just doesn't make sense that when Johnis is reunited with his mother it ain't too deep. Like i mean, i know he could get killed if he hesitated but if i just found out that my dead mother was actually alive i would be screaming with joy and thanking my Heavenly Father that she is alive. Anyway... Well done T
Kenzie
I hate saying this, but I feel obligated as an unbiased reader to relate my true reading experience to other readers. This was awful. I really enjoy Dekker's books, and when this started out, I reminded myself that he hadn't failed me yet. I told a friend or two I'd read too much Dekker to doubt him, and while it turned out in the [late] end, I was severely disappointed most of the way through, especially after a wonderful beginning of the series ("Chosen").
I'm not fond of fantasy, but that's wh
Brian
The Lost Book series are Dekker-light stories, with the action amped up a couple notches and the dialog and complexity Ted usually employs so well dialed down a couple notches. They're roughly ~250 pages, 1 to 2 sitting reading material, fast paced, serialized and because their target audience is the YA crowd, the plot is pretty simple and action comes fast and furious. While Infidel is not quite on par with Chosen, the first book in the series, it's pretty close and I enjoyed it for the most pa ...more
Sue
The second book in the Lost Books series was good. I already have a few students in mind who will like this series. There is enough action and suspense to keep readers hooked and wanting to know what is going to happen. Looking foward to reading the third book.

Amy
May Contain Some Minor Spoilers
I read Chosen several years ago because the Christian bookstore had it on sale for $2.50. That was not a deal I was about to pass up. Unfortunately, the other books in the series remained an uncompromising $15 and my library didn’t have any of them.
I was also a basically broke highschooler.
And so I never read Infidel. I eventually read some of the Circle series and gathered a few books that way, but the The Lost Books remained a rather unsettled question until to
Becky B
Sep 23, 2012 Becky B rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle school & high school Christian fantasy fans
Brittany
Katie W
The main character made some grievous mistakes in this story. And showed himself yet again to be very human - not perfect. I especially liked how the main character in this story realized that he could relate to the enemy hoard more than he initially thought and that he came to love / care about their well-being - especially his friendship with one little girl who reminded him of his own sister - and how they help each others at various points.
G H
I really liked this sequel to Chosen!! It was just as creative as the first and had an awesome amount of action and romance! I loved the part where he gave himself up for ___! That's the Johnis I love!
The only thing I didn't really like about this one was the Johnis was not as awesome/adorable as he was in the first one. He did it for a certain spoiler-if-I-said and it was cool but I still liked him a lot better in the first one.
Daniel
Another great boom in the Lost Books series. In my opinion it was even better than Chosen and added depth to the already great story. The story continues and gets better with each book so far. I will not give any details, I will only say that some wonderful things are gained in this adventure for our young characters. I will say, if you are not into YA books, this is not for you. If you enjoy good books about fantastical things, I greatly recommend the series.
Keenan
Infidel is the second book in the books of history series by Ted Dekker.
In this story Johnis's celebration as a hero from the previous book Chosen, is shattered when he figures out that his mother ,Rosa, may not be dead but could be living as a Horde slave.He rushes to her rescue, but this is precisely what the Horde have planned. He now must decide between Silvie, who he is quickly falling for, and his sworn duty to protect the Forest Dwellers.
what i like about this book is Dekker's descript
Ryan Pace
Infidel, the second book in the series, gives deeper insight into the plot of the first book. In this book, the boy breaks into the Horde city and finds his mother. After finding her, they go on being chased throughout the desert. The story is a test of love, sacrifice, and endurance. The entire army and city of his homeland is depending on him to save them from Teeleh.
Kayley Ryan
It was great, I thought it was even better than the first book :) Of course, that's partly because you're more into the story, with the characters and the plot being more developed; these books are getting even more exciting than I though they would, and Ted Dekker is definitely my favorite author because of his fast-paced thriller style with forces of good and evil battling over matters of the soul and not just blood and warfare. His thrillers have well-developed characters that you can connect ...more
Mr. Southmayd
I think the world of this series is a bit small compared to the original Circle books, where we had two worlds and a much more complicated storyline.
Overall I really do enjoy the twists and turns and the edge-of-your-seat suspense that TD puts into this series. I was pleased with this second book. Hopefully the third can make it better.
Scott Campbell
Started with book 2 in this series by necessity, but it was easy to pick up the story in medias res. Dekker weaves a fast-paced tale of teenagers, magic, good, and evil in a future dystopia that is de riguer in modern YA. Finished in a day and was sufficiently hooked to be curious about book 3. Dammit. ;-)
Jaime
This book didn't make me want more like "Chosen" did, but it was a great sequel nonetheless.

It's only been a day since the four new recruits to the Forest Guard have come back from fighting the Horde, but Johnis and Sylvie discover that Johnis' mother is still alive and is in the Horde's main city. The two follow Jaskov, leaving Billos jealous and aching to know more within the Books and Darsal just wanting them all to stick together. Johnis faces a few moral dilemmas:

- Is his loyalty to Thomas
Fantastic
From Chosen to Traitor?

After being stretched to their limits, the four young Forest Guard recruits--Johnis, Silvie, Billos, and Darsal--are pulled into deeper danger on their mission to secure the seven lost Books of History. Celebrated as a hero, Johnis's world is shattered when he learns that his mother may not be dead as presumed but could be living as a slave to the Horde. Throwing caution to the wind, he rushes to her rescue.

But this is precisely what the Horde has planned. Now he will face
Donald
How I hate cliff-hanger endings; let me count the ways...

The effect it has on this reader is the complete opposite of the intended response. I do not go seeking closure by reading the next installment, but rather write it off as lazy-ass writing.
Margaret
The ending of this book is fabulous! I am looking forward to the next in the series, I also need to go back and read the other series. The fact that Dekker is capable of twisting so many books and different series together, is just fabulous. This story is an awesome telling of temptation and forgiveness. I can see many things below the surface and to hate the sin not the sinner is only one of them. This book is great for Teens, but also great for any other age. I highly recommend it. Although, I ...more
Marita
Great fast paced action with a good message that love is the most powerful and unexpected force in the universe. In this book it is found in most unusual places.
Christina Bulgin
Ted Dekker never ceases to amaze me with his ability to tell a story with such continuity to his other books and with an engaging brilliance that immerses you in the story and makes it so you never want to finish the book!
Denae Christine
Despite the four stars, TD's youth books are more of 3.5 stars. They're still great, have okay characters, have mostly believable plots, strange creatures and adventures, wild endings, and heroic deeds right and left. There are points where the characters act a little TOO extremely (making a mistake that gets hundreds killed? Turning against the commander?).
Other points it seems like the youths get off too easily, such as weaving in and out of the horde and black forests and shataiki. I know Ely
  • To Kill With Reason
  • Kingdom's Call (Kingdom, #4)
  • The Rise of the Wyrm Lord (The Door Within, #2)
  • The Book of the King (The Wormling, #1)
  • Frenzy (Dreamhouse Kings #6)
  • The Scarlet Trefoil: A Novel (Tahn Dorn #3)
  • Shadow in the Deep (Binding of the Blade #3)
  • Eternity's Edge (Echoes from the Edge, #2)
  • Nightmare Academy (Veritas Project, #2)
  • The Shadow Within (Legends of the Guardian-King, #2)
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.
More about Ted Dekker...

The Lost Books (6 books)
  • Chosen (The Lost Books, #1)
  • Renegade (The Lost Books, #3)
  • Chaos (The Lost Books, #4)
  • Lunatic (The Lost Books, #5)
  • Elyon (The Lost Books, #6)
Thr3e Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1) White: The Great Pursuit (The Circle, #3) Red: The Heroic Rescue (The Circle, #2) Green: The Beginning and the End (The Circle, #0)

“The power of belief alone could change the course of history.” 9 likes