Start by marking “Lonely Planet Scotland” as Want to Read:
Lonely Planet Scotland

Lonely Planet Scotland

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  220 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Scotland's patchwork of sweeping mountains and lochs, craggy coastline and lively towns deserves to be explored and savoured. Walk in the footsteps of historical heroes, soak up culture in Edinburgh, catch live music in Glasgow and go beyond bagpipes and haggis cliches."
Published April 1st 2011 by Lonely Planet (first published December 31st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Lonely Planet Scotland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lonely Planet Scotland

Filipe
Jun 29, 2011 Filipe rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
A very good travel guide, as we're accustomed of having from The Lonely Planet.
I personally like Lonely Planet's guides better than the DK Travel Ones (in Portugal they're called American Express Travel Guides since AMEX sponsors them). Sure they have less pretty pictures and the paper resembles bible paper. But that's what I love about them. More content less eye-candy...
This Scotland guide is no exception. The real test will be in a couple of weeks when I'll get to use it "in loco", but so fa
David Roberts
Sep 18, 2013 David Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book I read to research this post was Lonely Planet Scotland which is an excellent book which I bought from Amazon. This book is a comprehensive travel guide to Scotland & I found it very interesting. Scotland has some of the best wild spots in Europe as well as the metropolitan cities Edinburgh & Glasgow. Edinburgh has the fringe festival which started out of there being a mainstream arts festival that some theatres weren't invited to so they started there own. Many of the acts are ...more
Rachel
Jan 05, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I swear by the lonely planet guides. I've used their guide to Peru, Hong Kong, and now Scotland. It's full of the right type of information to plan a great trips. They always include little gems that aren't the typical "tourist" attraction and are more local types of places.
Katie
Jul 19, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Daniel Kukwa
Dec 05, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
In preparation for my first visit to Scotland this coming summer, I turned to my reliable "Lonely Planet" series...and came upon a new re-design. New fonts, new order of articles...a top to bottom clean up. The book was as useful as I've come to expect from the series, but I'm not completely sold on the revamp of the look. For every impressive new addition (cleaner maps, full colour cross-sections), I find something I don't like, such as the order of the articles. Therefore, I'll come down the m ...more
Stacey
Aug 05, 2011 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Used this book on a 2 week trip to England, Scotland and Wales. The information provided proved very valuable and it was a great reference for looking up places to stay and eat. It also provided details on attractions off the beaten path. I had brought a Fodors book on England and Wales and while it was a much larger book, the information was not nearly as helpful as the Lonely Planet book. The next time I travel, I'll definitely be using Lonely Planet.
Jen Halligan
My rating is for the Kindle version of this guide book. I was frustrated that images and maps were scanned and not formatted to be read on an e-reader. Maps were too small to read, and when enlarged, they were blurry and some were impossible to make out, making them worthless when trying to use them in the moment. Also, I would have liked a bit more history and information about points of interest.
Jaclyn Harrison
Jun 12, 2012 Jaclyn Harrison rated it liked it
The descriptions and suggestions were good, but the prices were WAY off, especially for a newly published book. We are budget travelers: staying in hostels, making our own meals, using public transportation, etc. We only spent 7 days in Scotland and went $700 over budget. Scotland is absolutely breathtaking and worth every penny, but I wish we had been better prepared.
Karen
Lonely planet books are the best! I always mark them up and they usually include pull out maps. Scotland is a dream vacation for me and I have a ton of places marked to visit in my book!
Miss Dior
Apr 05, 2014 Miss Dior rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laadukas matkaopas. Tiedot hyvin paikkansapitäviä. Aikuiseen makuun sopiva, eli ehkä vähän enemmän boheemeja underground-paikkoja voisi olla. Myös muutama tunnettu kohde jäänyt pois.
Connie
Sep 12, 2013 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was very helpful for finding good places to eat, sight-see and shop. I found the perfect vase at one of the pottery workshops it recommended.
Maria
May 10, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, informative book about sights and other helpful things you might need when you're planing your trip to Scotland
Katie
Aug 02, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
I used this book a lot during my trip to Scotland last month. Very helpful!
Grumpylibrarian
Pretty helpful, but missed a lot of worth-while information.
Viola Wang
Apr 06, 2013 Viola Wang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With this fantastic book, I explored Scotland during my stay.
Thomas
Feb 15, 2009 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Effective planning for Scotland trip
Chateebox
Aug 14, 2013 Chateebox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old but still useful.
Caroline
Caroline is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2016
Cartwheels
Cartwheels marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Kamala
Kamala marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Veronika Klebanova
Veronika Klebanova rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Lexy
Lexy marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Tri Le
Tri Le rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Taylor
Taylor rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Suzan
Suzan rated it liked it
May 16, 2016
  • England (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • London
  • Germany
  • France (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Spain (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Norway
  • Ireland (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Scotland: The Autobiography 2,000 Years of Scottish History By Those Who Saw It Happen
  • Rebus's Scotland
  • Iceland
  • Scotland: A Concise History
  • USA
  • France
  • Brazil (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Florence & Tuscany
  • NYC: New York City Guide
  • The Digital Mom Handbook: How to Blog, Vlog, Tweet, and Facebook Your Way to a Dream Career at Home
  • Great Britain
More about Neil Wilson...