Start by marking “The Interrogators: Task Force 500 and America's Secret War Against Al Qaeda” as Want to Read:
The Interrogators: Task Force 500 and America's Secret War Against Al Qaeda

The Interrogators: Task Force 500 and America's Secret War Against Al Qaeda

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  7 reviews
An unprecedented look at the front line of the war against terror: the inside story of five American interrogators, thousands of prisoners, and the race for the truth. More than 3,000 prisoners in the war on terrorism have been captured, held, and interrogated in Afghanistan alone. But no one knows what transpired in those interactions between prisoner and interrogator--un ...more
Published May 12th 2005 by Back Bay Books

To ask other readers questions about The Interrogators, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Interrogators

Terri
I am a little befuddled as to why other Goodreads members have been negative about this book. I wondered if they had even read it, to be honest. I did not find Chris Mackey to be boastful or full of his own self importance. I'm not going to say that in real life he isn't, I don't know him, so cannot say, but in this book he is humble, never boastful and readily up for criticising himself whenever he does things wrong or when he thinks he's out of his depth. He doubts himself and always seems to ...more
Gordon
Not bad, but the author is obviously very full of himself. Pretty amusing at times, listening to him bluster on about just what a master in the booth he is, but for those with little to no knowledge about "booth operations", it's worth a quick skim.
Anthony
Chris Mackey gives an inside take of the early days of the War on Terror as a U.S. Army interrogator, maintaining as much of the meat and potatoes of the story, without compromising secrets.
Eric
This is an interesting account of "Chris Mackey's" tour as an enlisted Army interrogator. Great human interest story, but definately not a reference on HUMINT or the art of interrogation.
Brandon
An excellent view into interrogation techniques and how military intelligence is collected. Entertaining as well as informative.
Lucas
Like Shooter it made me want to join the fight in Iraq.
Bryan Kirby
Not too impressed, had to read for a college course
Brittany Caswell
Brittany Caswell marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Pygmy
Pygmy is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2015
Michael Grogan
Michael Grogan marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Abel
Abel marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Rowland D.
Rowland D. marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Ryan Casey
Ryan Casey marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Jessica Maxwell
Jessica Maxwell marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Nathan Stephens
Nathan Stephens marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Interrogators: Inside the Secret War Against al Qaeda Daily Plan-it : The Pursuit of Goals Synchronicity: Empowering Your Life Path with a Gift from the Universe The Interrogators: Inside the Secret War Against Al Qaeda

“Why should we, the brains of the military, have so much anxiety about our contribution to the war that we feel we have to ape Special Forces guys?
To Fitzgerald commandos were just glorified jocks - pitchers and quarterbacks from suburban high schools who traded baseballs for bullets. There's no doubt they had skills. They could slither right up to the enemy on their stomachs survive on worms for days and plunk a target with a piece of lead from a mile away. All very impressive. But they couldn't speak Arabic or juggle a million intelligence requirements and 703 follow-up questions from the community while sitting three feet away from some Islamic firebrand who has no reason to talk.
"Do you think those Special Forces guys are wracked with Interrogator envy?" Fitzgerald would say. "You think they're over there in their special sunglasses polishing their special weapons saying 'man if only I could do some hot-shit interrogations and write some hot-shit reports?”
2 likes