Start by marking “The Economics of Enough: How to Run the Economy as If the Future Matters” as Want to Read:
The Economics of Enough: How to Run the Economy as If the Future Matters

The Economics of Enough: How to Run the Economy as If the Future Matters

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The world's leading economies are facing not just one but many crises. The financial meltdown may not be over, climate change threatens major global disruption, economic inequality has reached extremes not seen for a century, and government and business are widely distrusted. At the same time, many people regret the consumerism and social corrosion of modern life. What the ...more
Published February 14th 2011 by Princeton University Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Economics of Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Economics of Enough

Patrdr
I thought this a very sensible and solid book. It applies practical economics to some of the huge problems that we face including:
-the threat of climate change;
-the unsustainable growth of public debt, both hidden and acknowledged; and,
- growing inequality.
She deals well with the study of happiness and its link to standard economic measures. Thankfully she gently disposes of the arguments who would throw away GDP.
The author does not, I think, have the ambition of pretending to advance the fronti
Stephen
Apr 11, 2014 Stephen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
As I am reading this book one chapter at a time, perhaps it is best to write up my notes for each chapter as I read them.

Chapter 1 - Happiness
Much has been made on the economics of happiness. This chapter acts as a counter to a lot of the thinking that has become taken on uncritically. For example, increased GDP may not make us happier, but less GDP certainly makes us unhappier. Other factors come into play as well as material wealth - things like justice and fairness - which we ought to value.

C
Alice
The author of this book did a good job of conveying the complexity of the problem, and recognizing that each country must come up with solutions that fit their own culture and financial situation. The 10 first steps for governments to take seem well thought-out and reasonable. I also liked that she recognized that neither government nor the market had all the answers and would need to both change. But, I have a few criticisms that make this only a 3-star book:

She spends a lot of time belittling
Polly Callahan
Jan 24, 2015 Polly Callahan marked it as finish-later
read to page 9, then read most of the conclusion
Copyright 2011
Samuel Lubell
Nonfiction, economics.
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
jaegrr
jaegrr marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
B.Soma Raju
B.Soma Raju is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Tomas Fromsomewhereelse
Tomas Fromsomewhereelse marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Johnathan Yao
Johnathan Yao marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Richard Lowe
Richard Lowe marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Dennis McCrea
Dennis McCrea marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Kj
Kj marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 13, 2014
Vítor Höher
Vítor Höher marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Elentarri
Elentarri marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
  • Green Gone Wrong: How Our Economy Is Undermining the Environmental Revolution
  • Now or Never: Why We Must Act Now to End Climate Change and Create a Sustainable Future
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • The Plundered Planet: Why We Must--And How We Can--Manage Nature for Global Prosperity
  • Exorbitant Privilege: The Rise and Fall of the Dollar and the Future of the International Monetary System
  • When A Billion Chinese Jump: How China Will Save Mankind    Or Destroy It
  • With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change
  • Dismantling the Empire: America's Last Best Hope
  • The Race for What's Left: The Global Scramble for the World's Last Resources
  • Limits to Growth: The 30-Year Update
  • The Nature of Design: Ecology, Culture, and Human Intention
  • Red Capitalism: The Fragile Financial Foundation of China's Extraordinary Rise
  • Animal Factory: The Looming Threat of Industrial Pig, Dairy, and Poultry Farms to Humans and the Environment
  • The Crash Course: The Unsustainable Future of Our Economy, Energy, and Environment
  • Wake Up and Smell the Planet: The Non-Pompous, Non-Preachy Grist Guide to Greening Your Day
  • The Next Convergence: The Future of Economic Growth in a Multispeed World
  • Hot: Living Through the Next Fifty Years on Earth
  • Hitler's Beneficiaries: Plunder, Racial War, and the Nazi Welfare State
GDP: A Brief But Affectionate History Sex, Drugs and Economics: An Unconventional Intro to Economics The Soulful Science: What Economists Really Do and Why It Matters What's the Use of Economics: Teaching the Dismal Science After the Crisis The Weightless World: Strategies For Managing The Digital Economy