Start by marking “Outrage: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Outrage: A Novel

Outrage: A Novel (Butch Karp #23)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  377 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Months after a brutal double homicide in uptown Manhattan shocks the city, sensational newspaper headlines herald the arrest and indictment of Felix Acevedo, a shy Bronx teenager who confessed to the horrific crimes. But downtown, in the district attorney’s office, Butch Karp is seething.

No sooner does he bask in the relief of successfully closing the case on murderous ima
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 7th 2011 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Outrage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outrage

Cheryl
Jun 12, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Felix Acevedo is nineteen. Though you might not know it as Felix is mentally challenged. Felix is arrested for the rape and murder of two women and attempted rape on another woman. Poor Felix, he doesn’t know what he is doing, when he confesses to the murders. Fortunately for Felix, District Attorney Butch Karp also believes that Felix is innocent. To prove Felix’s innocence, Butch will have to go into the slums.

I was literally hooked after reading the third chapter. Though, the story really pi
Walt
Nov 08, 2012 Walt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanenbaum wisely dials back the terrorism themes and wild excesses that have plagued recent entries in this long-running series with this straightforward legal thriller. Mild-mannered, mentally challenged Felix Acevedo, who came to New York City from Puerto Rico with his parents as a boy, has been arrested for a double homicide — of a professor's wife and her mother — in the Columbia University Slasher case. Physical evidence points to Felix's involvement, and far worse, he has confessed to the ...more
Kelley
Jan 09, 2014 Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
I re-read this novel because it had been a while since I had read anything in the series. I've been so busy reading first-reads that I've let my series reading slip. I decided that I would try to catch up over Christmas break. With an extra week of school off because of a snowstorm, I may get through a couple more!

I enjoy Robert Tanenbaum's Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi novels. This book was no exception. Butch Karp is a smart, no-nonsense DA who follows not only the law, but also his ethics. His wi
William Bentrim
Dec 04, 2011 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outrage by Robert K. Tanenbaum

It is always a treat to “discover” a new author. Sad but true with 20 plus books to his credit, Tanenbaum is hardly new but he is new to me. Described as a legal thriller, this book had good cops and robbers mystery aspects with some refreshing social commentary.

Butch Karp and his wife, Marlene are reoccurring characters in Tanenbaum’s books. Note this book stands alone quite well and there is no need to have read any preceding to catch up to the story. I suspect i
Barbara
Aug 28, 2011 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The flap of the book jacket gave away too much of the plot of this novel. Reading it was almost anti-climatic. In some ways it read more like a sermon than a work of fiction which was unfortunate because even if the message is a worthy you don't read a novel to be preached to. Having read other works by this author I'm prepared to cut him some slack on this one.
Carolyn
I've now read 23 of the 25 "thrillers" in this series, and am debating whether I want to finish. The early ones were really good; the later ones have been uneven at best and this one reaches a new low. It's more of a sermon than a thriller. Several of the characters are cardboard cutouts. The best thing I can say about it is that it's short.
Nancy
Jan 05, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read a number of his books and this book was ok. I didn't find that the characters were as developed as some of his earlier books. I did like the part with his sons hearing about the concentration camps and then having to make the decision about standing up for the other baseball player or not.
Beth
May 17, 2015 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have been a big fan of Robert K. Tanenbaum's Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi series, but Outrage left a bad taste in my brain. It is really a long love letter to the death penalty. Our main character and generally all around good guy is District Attorney Butch Karp, who seems to single handedly prove the innocent of one man falsely accused of two brutal murders, and then finger and convict the right man. Once that is accomplished he spends a lot time talking about how, in some cases, people should d ...more
Mhd
Sep 14, 2011 Mhd rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this one. I couldn't take the content and it was starting awfully slowly. I don't like it when people with disabilities are being taken advantage of nor the nature of the other crimes.
Lianne
Feb 07, 2012 Lianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read all of the books in this series and I was quite disappointed by this one. There was very little action/interaction. There was a moral and it was a good one but was overly preachy and prolonged.
Jen
Aug 05, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually really enjoy the world of Butch Karp, NYC DA. It's exciting, action-packed, and often morally agonizing. His characters are so memorable, so well-developed, that when I start reading his latest volume I feel like I am reuniting with old friends. The plots in the last several Karp books have been fueled by news stories of Muslim extremists. In the books, these extremists are often the pawns of darker American forces. Conspiracies run deep in Tanenbaum's series. When I picked up Outrage, ...more
Ed
Aug 15, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, nyc
#23 in the NYC DA "Butch" Karp & Marlene Ciampi series, and #8 since the series was being ghostwritten by Michael Gruber. I seems with the last two novels that Tanenbaum has returned to the series NYC roots and has left the world-politic, Islamist terrorist themes that were dominating the post-Gruber entries.

NYC DA "Butch" Karp & Marlene Ciampi series - Mentally challenged Felix Acevedo has been arrested for a double homicide in the Columbia University Slasher case. Evidence points to Fe
Harvey Burgess
Jul 11, 2012 Harvey Burgess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Tanenbaum once again provides thrills and chills both in and out of the courtroom with this latest yarn starring New York District Attorney Butch Karp and his extraordinary wife Marlene Ciampi. This case involves the serial rapes and murders of three women and it appears they've fairly easily wrapped up the case with a likely suspect. But extraneous events, from a corrupt cop to a seedy meth dealer, cast diffusing lights on the crimes and we're led through a host of ins and outs before a ...more
Viccy
Jul 08, 2011 Viccy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Another romp for Butch and Marlene, the crime-fighting couple from Manhattan. Butch is trying a Chechen for murder and Marlene has got his back. Zac and Giancarlo, the twins are playing baseball and trying to keep the bullies away from a Puerto Rican kid who is attending their private school on scholarship and Lucy, their daughter is trying to figure out if she really wants to marry a man who assassinates people for the American government. Just another day. Non-stop action; it is exhausting to ...more
Mailmanr5
Good but just not as entertaining as the previous ones.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace

Tanenbaum never fails to write legal fiction that readers can relate to.

Butch and Marlene are out to get an innocent man out of jail. One of Butch’s assistant DAs’ indicted a man without verifying the evidence. Marlene is asked to represent the man or recommend someone to represent him. In the meantime, Marlene conducts her own investigation and learns the truth.

Outrage is a great read. Robert Tanenbaum is among the few authors who can actually write great legal crime thrillers.

Mel Foster does a

Joyce
Aug 01, 2011 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great reading. A man has confessed to three brutal murders, two in Manhattan. Karp's office has indicted him for the two. Ciampi, who is restless with the kids being more adult and no longer needing her, decides she will defend him in the third. As she begins investigating the charges, she realizes he is innocent and explains why to Karp. His office begins to investigate and things progress from there. It is fast moving and intelligently written. All in all a great way to spend a summer ...more
Sherree
Feb 12, 2013 Sherree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I would really rate this book about 4.5. I have been a fan of Butch and Marlene for a long time. The last several books have focused a lot on terroristic plots, which while relevant and timely, is not why I started reading Tanenbaum. This was a return to the crime-fighting duo, pursuing justice at all costs and was a much more gripping and enjoyable read for me. I hope the court room dramas continue.
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 25, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Women are being murdered and mutilated in New York City. A young man with an un-natural desire to please and perfect memory confesses under pressure from the police. District Attorney Karp believes that some of his staff and the police have the wrong man. Soon witnesses and honest cops die. While this is going on, Karp's sons have to deal with a racist baseball coach targeting a teammate.
Barbara
Oct 22, 2015 Barbara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book I will read by this author. While he has good plots, they are basically the same book with a different name and just different names for the caricatures. The most annoying part of this author's books is the constant repetitions of praise for how saintly, honorable, justice-minded etc, etc, etc the main caricature is.
Caroline
He finally got back to the basics and it really worked this time. No more weird terrorists attacks and the family acting like superheros. Just an honest story told well and the characters actually seemed human instead of wooden. Never will be the best series ever but enjoyable.
Mark
I love to follow the exploits of the Family Karp...a lot of great moral philosophy hidden in the storyline...always entertaining; always enlightening...Butch and Marlene are involved with righting a wrong indictment and bring those truly responsible to justice...excellent as always!!!
Rosemary A.
Burce and Marlene have stopped hunting terrorists for this book and are back to solveing old fashion murders and putting the bad guys in jail. And all without their strange friends. It was good to get back to the things that they do so well.
Taly
Jan 08, 2012 Taly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First time I came across one of Tenenbaum's books. Reading it, I thought that this is not just another thriller, but a book that actually leaves you with food for thought. In a way the book explores another point of view on capital punishment.
Peter
Aug 15, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS A LAWYER MYSTERY. THIS IS A BOOK THAT I LIKED VERY MUCH. FOR ME THE TWISTS AND TURNS OF THE PLOT WERE JUST AN ABSOLUTE JOY. AS USUAL THE CHARACTERS ARE ALSO FOR ME ANYWAY JUST GREAT. THIS IS A BOOK THAT I HIGHLY RECOMEND.
Josh
Feb 27, 2012 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seemed like it ended half way through. I expected the story lines to continue and hit the Epilogue which tied everything up in a few pages. A great book, but disappointing compared to his other novels.
Susan Kilburn
Sep 06, 2011 Susan Kilburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The way this book starts and goes from there, I was "outraged" and almost quit reading it--convicting an obviously innocent person. I'm glad I kept reading! I might have to read more from this author...
Lynette Barfield
This is not quite the same as the other Karp-Ciampi books. It doesn't include the usual denizens of the streets, and also has less complicated 0plot. It is still a good book.
Ruth Vanderhart
Tannenbaum's Butch Karp series started off with some pretty readable thrillers, but the recent ones have been mediocre at best, and this one is the worst of the lot.
Margaret
May 16, 2012 Margaret rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Truly disappointing. I usually enjoy by this author, even those in this series,but this one was boring and read like he wrote it with very little thought.
  • Double Jeopardy
  • Never Look Back
  • Fine Line (Brady Coyne, #20)
  • Third Strike (Brady Coyne, #26)(Brady Coyne/J.W. Jackson #3)
  • Agent X (Steve Vail, #2)
  • Intent To Kill
  • Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride, #7)
  • The Orpheus Deception (Agent Micah Dalton, #2)
  • A Time for Patriots (Patrick McLanahan, #17)
  • The Expediter (Kirk McGarvey, #13)
  • Trader Of Secrets (Paul Madriani, #12)
  • Red Light (Merci Rayborn #2)
  • The Delta Solution (Mack Bedford, #3)
  • Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)
  • Mask Market  (Burke #16)
Robert K. Tanenbaum is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-five legal thrillers and has an accomplished legal career of his own. Before his first book was published, Tanenbaum had already been the Bureau Chief of the Criminal Courts, had run the Homicide Bureau, and had been in charge of the training program for the legal staff for the New York County District Attorney’s Office. He als ...more
More about Robert K. Tanenbaum...

Butch Karp (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1)
  • Depraved Indifference (Butch Karp, #2)
  • Immoral Certainty (Butch Karp, #3)
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • Material Witness (Butch Karp, #5)
  • Corruption of Blood (Butch Karp, #6)
  • Justice Denied (Butch Karp, #7)
  • Falsely Accused (Butch Karp, #8)
  • Irresistible Impulse (Butch Karp, #9)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)