Start by marking “The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)

The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme #6)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  11,902 Ratings  ·  488 Reviews
The Twelfth Card: A Lincoln Rhyme Novel (Lincoln Rhyme Novels)
Published June 7th 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2005)

Richard
Nov 07, 2016 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
5.5/10

This is quite hard to rate, to give it two or three stars is quite tricky. In some ways it was the standard thriller you would come to expect from this series, albeit a lower quality than some of the others in the series. But some of the dialogue between characters was so outdated and looked forced it was hard to read. I’m not from Harlem but I’m pretty sure not many people say “phat” and “whack”. It reminded me of when Joey in Friends tried to act young, saying what you assume people say.
Obsidian
Feb 22, 2017 Obsidian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2017
I dithered about the rating for this book. I ultimately enjoyed the book, but I got really tired of all the Red Herrings in this book. It's beyond absurd. I also don't think Rhyme has super human abilities that he can figure out what the true motive is beyond all of these people he investigates. I did love seeing Kara from the previous book in this one though. And we get to see some more scenes with Rhymes and Sachs that show them as a couple.

Rhyme and Sachs are called in by Lon Selitto to inve
Lincoln Rhyme gets involved in the attempted assault of a 16-year-old researching her ancestor, a freed slave accused of stealing. I think there are things to appreciate about this book. Over time, the author has added new characters to this universe and both fleshed out and grown the primary characters. It feels like time has actually passed and the world has changed and developed. But, possibly unrelatedly, a lot of the rigor, for lack of a better word, is gone from the technical aspects of fo ...more
Donald
Aug 13, 2008 Donald rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I'm pretty sure I've read other 'Lincoln Rhyme' novels. And I'm pretty sure I liked them. But this one did not hold my attention at all.

First problem I noticed was that Jeffrey tries to write in black vernacular, Ebonics, AAVE (African American Vernacular English), whatever you may find to be PC today. The issues I have with this are twofold: that it (the vernacular) changes with each generation so the story feels dated already and that having George Guidall try to pull off saying "I'm down wit
Robin
Apr 27, 2011 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read the first five in the series, so I missed out on that character development. I liked the story ok, but I found some of the dialogue stereotyping and demeaning. As an audio book, anyway, the language attributed to many of the characters-- especially the African American characters-- wasn't believable/ felt inappropriate. I found myself rolling my windows up to avoid offending the occupants of other vehicles.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Love, love, love the Lincoln Rhyme books. This one was excellent also!
Andrea
Mar 26, 2009 Andrea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, really bad. Hated the dialog, found it very hard to get through. I only read until the end because it was a book club selection. Had it not been, I would have put it down the minute I started reading Deaver's version of African American Vernacular. Embarrassing!
Mike
Dec 28, 2016 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rhymes and Sachs help a 16 yr old girl survive a deadly conspiracy using their forensic skills.
Barbara ★
I really do have to remember to read this series and not listen to the audiobooks. At least that way I could skip all the tutorial information regarding crime scenes and all the "white board" descriptions again and again and again. UGH. Mr. Deaver writes each book as if the reader has never seen a crime show or never read a crime novel before describing in detail the process each and every time which makes for a very boring read.

Luckily for him (and the reader), he pens very complex mysteries lo
Catherine Brown (c4thb)
Always eager to read the next Deaver-Rhyme book, I was left feeling a little disappointed by the Twelfth Card. Although packed with twists, turns and suspense, I found the story rather dull and lacking in substance creating an "oh" instead of an "ooooooooh". There were some excellent touches to the story, such as the historical theme and learning more about regular characters. The Harlem dialect was a nice touch although sometimes difficult to follow. I felt the last section of the book brought ...more
Beverly
Aug 04, 2009 Beverly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-series
Maybe OK. The detective and good guy characters were pallid even though the author tried to give them color. The color was within the lines; that is, hackneyed, expected, one dimensional. The plot embraced every historical and social aspect of life in Harlem, early 21st century. The author packed in 19th century civil rights legislation, a freed (and hyper-educated) slave, real estate values, Islamic terrorism,post-traumatic stress, and Black high school society among others in an overblown plot ...more
Heather's Mum
Oh my... I', embarrassed! For me, because I've raved about Deaver so much. I just found this volume at a swap for $1.00, and dear me, I should have passed. I feel bad for Deavers because the psuedo-black vernacular was stilted, inappropriate and almost insulting... that's how I felt reading it, even though I'm not black!

If you can over-look the simply awful attempt at slang-hop, the plot and Rhyme's steller convoluted detecting is worth the struggling with the tongue twisting creepy syntax.
Miriam Smith
May 25, 2016 Miriam Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by a fabulous author!
Jim
Oct 10, 2016 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A slightly better than average thriller in the Lincoln Rhyme series from author Jeffery Deaver. "The Twelfth Card" once again brings Rhyme and top forensic CSI Amelia Sachs together to solve a deadly riddle and uncover a 140 year old secret. The sixth book of the series opens with high school student Geneva Settle at a local library trying to research one of her civil war ancestors, Charles Singleton. Geneva was reading through a obscure old periodical from the civil war days when she's attacked ...more
nur'aini  tri wahyuni
COVERNYA CAKEP BANGET. HUHUHU.

keren. suka premisnya, alasan semua sakit hati itu muncul, dan kejutankejutan kecil yang terus menerus. 140 tahun ternyata tidak bisa membuat manusia berhenti merampas ataupun mempertahankan apa yang bukan haknya.

detail. semua dibahas. mulai dari sudut pandang korban, sampai para pelaku kejahatan. semua hal yang berhubungan dengan ide cerita tumpah di satu buku.

rapih. no typo i guess.

yang terpenting; semua hal yang saya pengen rasain saat jadi tim penyidik kriminal
Tony
Mar 07, 2010 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeffery Deaver- The Twelfth Card (Pocket Star Books 2006) 4.75 Stars

When a young girl researches her families past for a school project, her life suddenly explodes into a twisted web of danger. Now Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs must stop this cold-hearted killer before he succeeds in his mission. Found at the scene, is the twelfth card from a tarot pack, the hanged man. They must figure out what everything means. Is the girl being hunted down because of the possible changes to civil rights this
Jerry Hilts
A very good thriller, very poorly written.

I enjoyed the plot points of this story, but over and over again I found myself wincing at the writing. First, the dialog of the black characters in this book sound as if the author has read about, but never actually heard urban black kids talk. I'm a pasty white dude and I found it ridiculously artificial with its over use and misuse of 'def', 'whack', 'fronting', etc. I can only imagine what some kid from Harlem (where most of the events take place) wo
Andy
Apr 11, 2015 Andy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
You know what you're going to get with the Lincoln Rhyme books but this was one felt a bit flat.

The killer gets taken really easily and isn't half as compelling as some prior villains. There are the usual twists and false endings which by now feel so standard that you're searching for them. I actually cottened on to the 'mastermind' when he was first introduced for this very reason.

The biggest issue though was some of the minor details. Dialogue was frequently embarrassing, especially his attemp
Patrick Ellard
Jan 27, 2013 Patrick Ellard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sixth entry into the Lincoln Rhyme series is a solid effort without ever quite reaching the heights that The Vanished Man achieved.

The plot revolves around a teenage girl who is doing research into one of her ancestors, a man accused of stealing money from a Black rights movement trust in the 1860's. It seems as if someone doesn't like her snooping around as an attempt is made on her life. It's up to Rhyme and his team and to try and catch the killer and understand why he has targeted the g
Michael
Outstanding police procedural, which is number 6 in the series on Lincoln Rhyme, a forensic investigator serving as an LAPD consultant for tough murder cases in Manahattan. The unusal feature of this engaging hero is that he is paraplegic and is driven to excel as an alternative to suicide. A black high school girl in Harlem is subject to a murder attempt as she attempts to uncover secrets of an ancestor who was a freed slave convicted of a robbery in post-Civil War Manhatan. As Angelina Jolie's ...more
Wendy
Jan 16, 2016 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got tired of the twists & turns, many for the sake of adding pages. I also got very tired of the street talk of the teens - I realize it made the characters more realistic, but.... Another mystery featuring Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs (I've enjoyed several of their books) where a high school girl from Harlem (Geneva) is the target of a killer. She's digging into the 140 year-old past of her ancestor, which appears to be a factor - then it doesn't appear to be related - then is is - then ...more
Amanda Patterson
Jun 18, 2011 Amanda Patterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffrey Deaver is a master thriller writer.His skill lies in his magnificently crafted characters, quadriplegic Lincoln Rhyme, Detective Amelia Sachs, and the villains that cross their paths. He has a talent for writing about forensic crime that is unrivalled.

The Twelfth Card is a story so cleverly crafted that you will be left breathless by the end. Rhyme and Sachs track Thompson Boyd, a man who wants to assassinate student, Geneva Settle. Does the attempt on her life have something to do with
Sarika
Oct 04, 2015 Sarika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Lyncoln Rhyme books have been entertaining so far. By now I'm fairly used to Deaver's staccato style of writing - short sentences, short chapters, everything is happening very fast. I think it's meant to emphasize the hectic pace of a murder/forensic inquiry. It's a little bit annoying at times and does not disguise the fact that the writing is not first class. Having said that, I have read quite a few LR books and find them quite good fun with lots of twists and turns, not too complicated.

Some
Srividya
First Lincoln Rhyme book. A series that I have been wanting to read for a long time. Can't say that I loved it, given that it was different from any other crime thriller that I have read in the past. Of course, it was interesting, especially the manner in which crime scenes and forensics alone were used to solve a crime.

The biggest grouse I felt was that it always felt like Rhyme was floundering and not really on any track. I understand that solving crimes can be difficult but the book read as i
Dokusha
Feb 02, 2015 Dokusha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Auch hier führt Deaver den Leser wieder in die Irre, Personen eentpuppen sich als ganz anders als ursprünglich gedacht und der Auftraggeber des Täters wird erst spät klar.
In diesem Buch ist allerdings auch das Motiv der Anschläge nicht klar. Das scheinbare Motiv wechselt öfter einmal, und bis fast zum Schluß fragt man sich noch, was es den nun letztendlich ist. Hinzu kommt die Verquickung der Untersuchung mit einer Geschichte, die sich vor ungefähr 140 Jahren abgespielt hat und doch irgendwie mi
Stan Usher
Apr 23, 2015 Stan Usher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. This book shows the more tender side of Lincoln Rhyme in places. As I have mentioned in other reviews of this series, Rhyme is my second favorite literary character of modern times behind Jack Reacher. Oh, he is still as sarcastic and acerbic as ever, but there are times you can see that he really is trying to live his life, despite his don't care attitude, and that he actually does care about other people too, not just the cases.....well sometimes.

Only minus against it, is the r
Antonella
La dodicesima carta... e non è l'unica che viene rimescolata.

Un'indagine un po' anomala per Lincoln Rhyme.

L'ho trovato piuttosto lento, molto dispersivo.

La storia di Charles Singleton, schiavo afro-americano, chiave della storia, è appassionante, ma viene - a tratti - messa da parte; vengono invece fuori fatti, personaggi e situazioni che rendono un po' ingarbugliata tutta la vicenda.

Ne risulta un ritmo poco incalzante.

Per carità, nel romanzo ci sono vari colpi di scena, ma lo spessore è di
Kaitlyn Kenney
Aug 03, 2016 Kaitlyn Kenney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deaver does it again; luring his readers with the plot and characters, then capturing us with an epic climax, then spinning us into his web of bone-chilling suspense as the team catches the killer. Just when we think we can get away because they found the killer, Deaver catches us again and traps us back in his web, because he is not done yet. Deaver is the spider of murder mysteries and we are his prey, never really able to get away because we keep coming back for more.
Aries
Aug 01, 2012 Aries rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Signori, ecco a voi il maestro. Dopo un paio di romanzi belli ma più sottotono, stavolta il caro Jeffrey torna e centra in pieno il bersaglio: suspence, colpi di scena, deduzioni lineari ma imprevedibili; Deaver è in grado di fregarti anche quando sei convinto che stavolta non potrà farlo: cambia le carte in tavola ogni volta, non cadendo mai nell'errore (fatto una sola volta anni fa) di riciclare se stesso.
Sempre consigliato.
Sempre.
Viji  (Bookish endeavors)
You've got such a brilliant man as a hero and this is all you could do.?!! Everytime I read of Rhyme I expect something unexpected,something you'll never guess. But that touch of magic wasn't there in this book. This was totally dull,the plot didn't have finishing. It was like the author took a part from here and another from there and made some sort of almost-a-story.
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 0743260929 3 11 May 12, 2014 09:07AM
Diva's Book Club: OUR 2ND READ ----> THE TWELFTH CARD by Jeffery Deaver 4 6 Nov 18, 2012 05:45PM
  • A Killing Night (Max Freeman, #4)
  • Buried (Tom Thorne, #6)
  • A Cold Heart (Alex Delaware, #17)
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • Death Dance (Alexandra Cooper, #8)
  • Flight (Irene Kelly, #8)
  • Find Me (Kathleen Mallory, #9)
  • 206 Bones (Temperance Brennan, #12)
  • The Bone Thief (Body Farm, #5)
  • The Calling of the Grave (David Hunter, #4)
  • The Reapers (Charlie Parker, #7)
  • Storm Prey (Lucas Davenport, #20)
  • Call After Midnight
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.
More about Jeffery Deaver...

Lincoln Rhyme (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • The Stone Monkey (Lincoln Rhyme, #4)
  • The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)
  • The Burning Wire (Lincoln Rhyme, #9)
  • The Kill Room (Lincoln Rhyme, #10)
  • The Skin Collector  (Lincoln Rhyme, #11)

“Boys groped, boys dissed, boys put you down. But it was the girls who made you bleed” 1 likes
“I criminalisti adorano i sospetti che soffrono di malattie.” 0 likes