Start by marking “The Power of Premonitions: How Knowing the Future Can Shape Our Lives. Larry Dossey” as Want to Read:

This text takes readers through documented cases of premonitions, including an instance when an entire Nebraska community skipped church the very day it exploded; an examination of recent scientific study of 'presentiment'; a discussion of what it all means to daily life; and practical field-tested techniques.
Published September 1st 2009 by Hay House (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Premonitions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Premonitions

Tanger Soto
Estuvo bien aunque habría querido que me gustara más
Melissa Combs
Mar 19, 2017 Melissa Combs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting!
Shonna Froebel
The book explores the scientific proof of premonitions and talks about how they are reacted to, by both those having them and those who hear of them. The book discusses all types of psi phenomena, with a focus on premonitions. The author experienced this phenomena among some of his patients and became intrigued by how it could best be acted on.
Relationships between major disasters and premonitions are looked at, as well as those of a more personal nature. Dossey relies about scientific studies o
Susan
Jul 23, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heard this doctor on talk radio last week and it piqued my interest. He was getting ready to speak in Durham. The book is mainly about premonitions, telepathy, remote viewing, and synchronicity. There are many premonition stories surrounding 9/11, the Titanic, the tsunami, and other events. He also talks about the telepathic abilities of animals. He discusses how the future is not necessarily written in stone and can be altered by premonitions (for example, the people who saved their own lives b ...more
Tami
Aug 23, 2009 Tami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s interesting. People are becoming more comfortable talking about and using their intuition. There are literally hundreds of self-help books on the shelves of local bookstores. Yet, premonitions are still relegated to the paranormal or occult.

The Power of Premonitions attempts to take premonitions out of the shadows. The author notes that premonitions are far more common than we think. They are akin to intuition and if heeded can be just as beneficial as using intuition.

The book is filled w
Sam Rodriguez
May 05, 2010 Sam Rodriguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
This guy is the real deal. If you think premonitions are BS, check out the first section of this book where he presents his case methodically in an M.D. type fashion. If you're already a "believer," just reading this book will get you more tuned into the "coincidences" that are happening all the time. Overall, a very well thought out book.
Mark
May 10, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
interesting read. Larry Dossey knows what he is talking about. He has done a few really great interviews with radio show host Steve Maraboli. I enjoy listening to him discuss what he does, and how we can use it to empower us. What a fun read.
ACT
Jul 16, 2014 ACT rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this at the library (had no active interest in the topic), and found it to be a pretty intereating read. It's clear the author has a great interest and knowledge of the topic. His arguments are well backed up, which is a bit unusual for a topic that we typically think of as non-scientific. The references, notes, and suggested reading are almost 50 pages!
Sean Hopkins
Mar 06, 2010 Sean Hopkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides interesting real world stories about premonitions. In certain instances, the author relies too much on experiments in support of his scientific assertions that premonitions are real. The question of whether premonitions are a common occurence or simply coincidences or hunches remains open to me but the book was well written and insightful.
Rodney Bond
Feb 17, 2013 Rodney Bond rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
This book is not well written. It is all over the place with circumstantial evidence, mostly post-event, of premonitions. This has been shown to be possibly induced into memory by modern research. There is some hint of truth about premonitions in the discussion of entropy - something I had not considered. But wading through the material is laborious.
Laurie
May 18, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great compilation of research on premonitions and universal consciousness.
Jan
Nov 03, 2009 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find the topic fascinating and I always enjoy his writing. This didn't disappoint. I also appreciated the chapters on Universal Mind/Consciousness. Part of my philosophy for years and years.
Chad
Aug 01, 2009 Chad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Discovered this on the "new books" shelf of the library. Interesting discussion of people's experiences. Also discusses related scientific studies.
Sandra Knight
Sep 08, 2009 Sandra Knight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hugely intriguing...shares documented premonitions followed by real events, studies in remote viewing, etc. Pretty good read.
Nancy
Aug 16, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard the author of this book one evening on NPR, and he told several interesting examples of premonitions that piqued my interest. I bought the book and really enjoyed it.
Shannon
Mar 22, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this book are fascinating but I didn't always agree with the take the author's perspective. Worth reading.
Michael Nalbone
Feb 14, 2014 Michael Nalbone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I wish I had known of this book when it was published. It was comforting to learn my experiences are not isolated. Anyone that has the 'sight' and struggling with it should read this book.
Liz
Jul 13, 2015 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
It was interesting, especially the cases, but I found most of this to be a little dry for my taste.
Rob
Dec 31, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating book. Connections between "ESP" phenomena and quantum physics? "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. "
Jill Charlotte
loved this man and his stories..... all made sense and opened up newness thank you xx
Sue
Aug 07, 2012 Sue marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Very empowering!
Tawana
Tawana rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Lydia
Lydia rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Trish
Trish rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2013
Mercedes
Mercedes rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2012
Dr. Gayl Hamilton
Dr. Gayl Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2014
Castro Fidele
Castro Fidele rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2017
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Messages From Spirit: The Extraordinary Power of Oracles, Omens, and Signs
  • Grow Younger, Live Longer: Ten Steps to Reverse Aging
  • How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor
  • Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America
  • On My Own at 107: Reflections on Life Without Bessie
  • In Their Own Way: Discovering and Encouraging Your Child's Multiple Intelligences
  • The Human Revolution (The Human Revolution, #1-12)
  • Back To Eden
  • There is a River: The Story of Edgar Cayce
  • The Hundred-Year Lie: How Food and Medicine Are Destroying Your Health
  • Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man
  • The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics: A Philosophy for achieving a Radiant Mind and a Fabulous Body
  • Still Here: Embracing Aging, Changing and Dying
  • Healing the Soul of America: Reclaiming Our Voices as Spiritual Citizens
  • Here and Hereafter
  • Meditations from Conversations with God
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • Dogs and the Women Who Love Them: Extraordinary True Stories of Loyalty, Healing, and Inspiration

“Become a good noticer. Pay attention to the feelings, hunches, and intuitions that flood your life each day. If you do, you will see that premonitions are not rare, but a natural part of our lives.” 12 likes