Start by marking “The Greek Myths 2” as Want to Read:
The Greek Myths 2

The Greek Myths 2 (The Greek Myths #2)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  628 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Not for over a century, since Smith's Dictionary of Classical Mythology first appeared, has the attempt been made to provide for the English reader a complete 'mythology,' in the sense of retelling in modern terms of the Greekk tales of gods and heroes. In the two volumes of this book Robert Graves, whose combination of classical scholarship and anthropological competence ...more
Paperback
Published May 30th 1969 by Penguin Books Ltd/Pelican (first published 1955)

Darwin8u
Sep 17, 2014 Darwin8u rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Just finished with the kids. The second book (part 2) contains large segments of the Illiad and the Odyssey stories along with Hercules, Achilles and Ajax. The kids (13 & 11) were mainly interested in the sex, blood, and the strata of godhood (Gods, Demigods, Semidemi, etc). A poet's mythology for sure, and obviously influenced by Grave's own obscession with the White Goddess myth, etc. The most interesting survey of Greek Mythology I've come in contact with. I might have to revisit my Bulfi ...more
GoldGato
The Great Graves continued his dissection of the the ancient Greek myths with this second volume and as with the first volume, it is a collection of detailed research. The majority of the tales in this book center around the Twelve Labours of Heracles. And it was quite a labour reading them. I have nothing in particular against the strongest of the strong ones, but there are only so many labours I can belabour myself through.

...he lifted Eryx high into the air, dashed him to the ground and kille
Flint Johnson
Mar 12, 2014 Flint Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Graves may have done the most thorough job possible in collecting all the Greek Myths, all the variants and local legends pertaining to it. As a source for raw information on the subject, this is an absolute treasure.

Having said that, he had one flaw. 'The Golden Bough' was a highly influential book at the time he was writing. Most of its premises have been largely disproven now and are mainly ignored in the academic community. Graves explains all the myths, however, using the ideas laid
Mariana
Jun 10, 2015 Mariana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore
I really hope that Graves never think to write a volume 3. I hated the first volume and I only read this one just because I'm trying to finish every serie or I would never pick this book. Is true that he does a good job in terms of facts and gives a very complete informations but how he writes it is just dry, numb and boring. My school boks are more appealing than this two volumes.
Blue Caeruleus
I got through the first 300 pages of the first volume (not counting the notes that explain the origins of the myths) and didn't bother with the second volume. It's my opinion that this work is better used for reference than as reading material. The myths are recounted flatly, as though the myths are being described for definitions in an encylopoedia. Graves may be something of a scholar, but he's a lowsy story-teller.
Jesse
Sep 26, 2010 Jesse rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Concise if somewhat idiosyncratic tellings of the Greek myths, coupled with completely over-the-rainbow analysis that says a lot about Graves and his muse and very little about the myths he's supposed to be discussing. It seems to be an openly acknowledged fact that this fails as a discussion of Greek myths; so the question is, what's the book that does what this book is supposed to do?
Syl
Dec 21, 2013 Syl rated it it was amazing
I love Greek Myths and this book, and part 1, bring me all the wonderful stories I want to read, and reread. It is true that the narrative is quite thick, what makes the reading slow paced, but it's worth the reading.
Rachel
Sep 11, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So glad I read this! It was so informative, and there is CRAZY STUFF in here. It got great when the Oddysey started happening near the end. Definitely a keeper.
Richard Alan
Jul 31, 2012 Richard Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part 2 was as enjoyable as the Vol. 1. I return to it often to read snippits from time to time for pure enjoyment.
Rozonda
Oct 12, 2011 Rozonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard reading, but exhaustive and enriching.
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
María Fernanda
María Fernanda marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Kirsten
Kirsten is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2016
Kasey
Kasey marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Kayla
Kayla rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Huseyin Akbaba
Huseyin Akbaba rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Patricio Romero
Patricio Romero marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Demi
Demi marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Nipuna Kumarage
Nipuna Kumarage rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Daria Paratico
Daria Paratico marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
  • Greek Lyrics
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Classical Mythology
  • Middle Eastern Mythology
  • Οι γάμοι του Κάδμου και της Αρμονίας
  • The End of the Bronze Age: Changes in Warfare and the Catastrophe CA. 1200 B.C., Third Edition
  • The Oxford History of Greece and the Hellenistic World
  • The Greek Way
  • The Odes of Pindar
  • The Library of Greek Mythology (World's Classics)
  • Hesiod: The Works and Days/Theogony/The Shield of Herakles
Robert Ranke Graves, born in Wimbledon, received his early education at King's College School and Copthorne Prep School, Wimbledon & Charterhouse School and won a scholarship to St John's College, Oxford. While at Charterhouse in 1912, he fell in love with G. H. Johnstone, a boy of fourteen ("Dick" in Goodbye to All That) When challenged by the headmaster he defended himself by citing Plato, G ...more
More about Robert Graves...

The Greek Myths (2 books)
  • The Greek Myths: Vol. 1