Start by marking “It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace” as Want to Read:
It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace
Preview

It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  41 reviews
How often have we heard “It’s nothing against you, it’s not personal—it’s just business”? But in fact, at work it’s never just business—it’s always personal. In this groundbreaking look at what’s really going on from 9 to 5—the crying, yelling, and bullying, as well as the friendship and laughter borne of creative collaboration—journalist and former corporate executive A ...more
Published March 29th 2011 by Random House (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about It's Always Personal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Always Personal

Kressel Housman
Mere days after a blow-out with my boss in which he blamed me for something I didn’t do and I ended up crying in my cubicle and then putting out feelers for new jobs, I heard a radio interview with the author of this book, and knew I just had to get hold of it. She said that more than half of the women she surveyed admitted to crying in the workplace, and even more disturbing, 42% of the men she surveyed believe that anger is an effective management tool. Since my boss is one of those, I figured ...more
Carol
I like to think I am a Woman of the People. But Kreamer's book forced me to realize that I do put a higher weight on stories told by high-achieving individuals. Kreamer is a former Nickelodeon executive and therefore, the people she calls on to talk about work are not the people I or you would call on. And this was one of the many things that elevated this work beyond the typical social commentary-mixed-with-some-self-help book. Kreamer herself was yelled at by Sumner Redstone, the paleolithic b ...more
Lori
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. It makes sense. Anne Kreamer establishes her ethos with the fact that she is has been in the workforce for many years working as an executive. She combines methodolical research from credible sources (her bibliography is pages long) and wisdom from her experiences. I am also impressed with the layout. I love books with indices so I can find things! It's a must-have for anyone in the 21st century workplace. Brava, Anne!
Pam
Feb 27, 2011 Pam marked it as to-read
Won this through Goodreads First Reads...can't wait for it to arrive!!
Nina
I was thrilled to receive this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads program. Kreamer spent 2 years gathering information. She interviewed scientists and psychologists as well as people in the workplace. With the fast-paced society in which we function, and ever-increasing technology, the boundaries between personal and work personas are blurred. Many of us spend more time at work than with family and friends.

Although the main theme is crying in the workplace, the book is truly an explorati
John
A well researched and engaging study of emotions and how they effect the workplace. Kreamer addresses the gender, social and biological differences in why we behave the way we do and does so in a manner that does not come across as stereotypical gender-bias. Reading it was useful in understanding my own emotional 'style' as well as how I can adapt it to improve my work relationships rather than hinder them.
Sasha Boersma
The book wasn't what I thought it would be, so not giving any stars - not fair to the author. I did try to get into it, but I found it mostly collecting what's now being written about in psychology and business blogs (however, this title proceeds this topical trend, being published in 2011!). Would have been one-of-a-kind 4 yrs ago. And likely something I should have read when it first came out.
Kelly
I won this book through GoodRead's First Reads program. This was the first book that I have read that really explores emotion in the workplace. I found it extremely informative and wish that I could have read this book while I was with my last company. Emotions and different styles of handling emotions play such an impact in the workplace, but is all too often ignored or downplayed. I found The Workplace Emotion Evaulation Profile (WEEP), an emotion-based version of the Myers-Briggs very enlight ...more
Jennifer W
An engaging book. I really enjoyed the scientific insights provided and the chapters on the neurology of emotions. I don't know how applicable this book will be to me in many ways at work. I work in mental health- my job *is* emotions. I think there were some useful techniques to discuss with my coworkers, but it might have been more beneficial to me to have a book that focused on the more day-to-day emotions rather than the big blow ups. Still, there's some easy coping skills mentioned, like ha ...more
Won as a goodreads giveaway.

This is not the control-your-emotions how-to book that I expected.

Rather, it is much more of a scientific treatise on how our emotions work, how acceptance and the handling of emotions in the workplace needs to change due to the women's movement, and a sprinkling of emotional management ideas thrown in.

I know, that sounds less than exciting, but I found it enlightening. The chapter on crying at work was particularly interesting to me, since I hate crying at work. Her
Cindyanne
A book for everyone to read to better understand emotions in the workplace. I've personally exhibited all the things discussed in this book (even crying), so I found it especially intriguing and enlightening. Haven't taken the test in the book to see my emotional classification, but planning on it, and the EMT toolkits at the end of each chapter would probably come in handy.
Snogged
This book illustrates the problems involved with emotional management in the workplace. The author examines such areas as crying/sadness, fear, anger, and anxiety. The author discusses her own personal experience working for a large media-type firm and shares examples of other women and men who have had to face these issues in the workplace.

I was a little disappointed with the practical strategies sections and I had hoped they would be longer and more concrete. I was also hoping that the "test"
Miste
At least I will be reading it as soon as I get the book! I entered one of those goodreads give aways for free copies of books and I won a copy (it's the second time I have won)! Will write a review once I get the book and read it. Have to admit that I just couldn't finish it. It just wasn't that compelling for me--especially as a motivational self-help kind of book. The anecdotal pieces that the author threw in just felt like name dropping. The message didn't seem clear and I'm not really sure w ...more
Jamie
"I recently heard this author on The Today Show, and as a result, this topic peaked my interest. A topic of controversy - always shrouded in shame, frustration, and as the author states in her title - personal. I'm confident this book will bring insight to anyone who has shed tears in the workplace or who has been on the receiving end. Remember the saying there's no crying in baseball? Anne Kreamer should be praised for breaking the silence on the topic of emotions in the workplace. She has pers ...more
Bea Metzler
a fantastic book that helped me understand my own self at work and how best to navigate emotions.
Kristin
My dog ate this one while I was at work. Previous books she has found objectionable include one of the Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games, and Baking Illustrated. Even before her destructive act, I found myself dawdling while reading this book; it didn't really hold my attention. The advice seems valuable, so I will probably return to this at a later time.
mlady_rebecca
I won this book via the Goodreads First Reads program. Got the email on 02/22/2011. I'll let you know when the book arrives. Looks like an interesting book. Fits well with the spat of psychology books I've been reading lately, not to mention a good thing to look at when re-entering the workplace after a prolonged illness.

04/13/2011
Okay, I'm shelving this one for awhile. Nothing wrong with the book. I just think I've read too many psychology style books lately. Rating, obviously, subject to chang
Grace
4 July 2013: I added a star on the 2nd read. The advice and insight resonated this time around, particularly with thinking about and strategizing about the development and implementation of my Emotion Management Toolkit (EMT). I think last year I may have found the approach a bit hokey, self-help and contrived, but you know, I recognize myself and my emotions now as more commonplace and rational than I have heretofore acknowledged.
Brian Cole
This is an interlibrary loan for me and because of the date I have to abandon this book. The subtitle should have been "is it okay for you to cry in the workplace." On page 160 the author begins an extensive discussion of a test you are suppose to be able to read about and take at a website. Apparently that website has been updated and the test was dropped. I e-mailed the author regarding this and did not receive a reply.
Patricia
I bought this book because this author had an article in Opera Magazine that I found useful as a reference for writing my memoir. Understanding the experience in the workplace in the 80’s helped me “process” the event. I recommend this to every woman about to begin a career in management.
Leonard
I think this book started a little weak, but has gotten stronger as I read more and more of it. Recommended for those
having to deal with the contemporary workplace which is often toxic and harmful. This is especially useful for those in managerial or supervisory positions.
Diane
Interesting info on how emotions play at work - anger, anxiety, fear among others. I found the stories interesting and the research plausible, but I thought there would be more info on how to handle different situations. Not bad, but not as good as it could have been.
Kathy
Everyone should read Anne Kreamer's book! It's quite a universal topic, emotion in the workplace!
Look for my upcoming review & thoughts on It's Always Personal, next week at my book blog: www.marianslibrary.wordpress.com
Best,
Kathy
Sophi Frost
I've read as much as I am going to read of this one. It is too drawn out and not enough to the point for my taste. When you are reading something that is work related it has to be quick. I broke up with this book.
Elena Emma
Absolutely loved the concept of the book. It's very up to date on shifting perspectives in corporate business ethics. And of course, learning just how much people actually cry at work - that's mind bugging!
Jennie
Some insightful information, especially the biology of why women tend to get more emotional at work than men, but the second half of the book wasn't as useful.
Molly
May 19, 2011 Molly added it
The first section is a little slow going, but I'm in the heart of the book now and the examples and advice are useful and interesting.
Lynn Sherman
This book was awful. There was no help as to how to deals with emotions at work. Rather it focused on "it's alright to cry". grrrr
Mary
I gave up about a third of the way through. I didn't feel like there was any meat that could really help me, just fluff.
L-H
Feb 22, 2011 L-H marked it as to-read
I got a free copy of this book through the Goodreads first-reads program. I can't wait to read this book. Thank you.
  • Good Boss, Bad Boss: How to Be the Best... and Learn from the Worst
  • Take the Lead
  • The Levity Effect: Why It Pays to Lighten Up
  • The New Capitalist Manifesto: Building a Disruptively Better Business
  • Read This Before Our Next Meeting
  • Better by Mistake: The Unexpected Benefits of Being Wrong
  • Through the Labyrinth: The Truth About How Women Become Leaders
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • Why Smart Executives Fail: And What You Can Learn from Their Mistakes
  • The Hustle: One Team and Ten Lives in Black and White
  • When Cultures Collide: Leading Across Cultures
  • We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World
  • Fortytude : making the next decades the best years of your life-- through the 40s, 50s, and beyond
  • Joy at Work: A Revolutionary Approach To Fun on the Job
  • Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses
  • Faking Smart! Get Hired, Get Promoted, and Become a VP in Six Short Weeks
  • There's No Such Thing as "Business" Ethics: There's Only One Rule for Making Decisions
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
Going Gray: What I Learned about Beauty, Sex, Work, Motherhood, Authenticity, and Everything Else That Really Matters Risk/Reward: Why Intelligent Leaps and Daring Choices Are the Best Career Moves You Can Make Risk/Reward: Why Intelligent Leaps and Daring Choices Are the Best Career Moves You Can Make