Start by marking “It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace” as Want to Read:
It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace

It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace

How often have we heard “It’s nothing against you, it’s not personal—it’s just business”? But in fact, at work it’s never just business—it’s always personal. In this groundbreaking look at what’s really going on from 9 to 5—the crying, yelling, and bullying, as well as the friendship and laughter borne of creative collaboration—journalist and former corporate executive A ...more
Published March 29th 2011 by Random House (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about It's Always Personal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Always Personal

Kressel Housman
Mere days after a blow-out with my boss in which he blamed me for something I didn’t do and I ended up crying in my cubicle and then putting out feelers for new jobs, I heard a radio interview with the author of this book, and knew I just had to get hold of it. She said that more than half of the women she surveyed admitted to crying in the workplace, and even more disturbing, 42% of the men she surveyed believe that anger is an effective management tool. Since my boss is one of those, I figured ...more
Carol
Jun 01, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
I like to think I am a Woman of the People. But Kreamer's book forced me to realize that I do put a higher weight on stories told by high-achieving individuals. Kreamer is a former Nickelodeon executive and therefore, the people she calls on to talk about work are not the people I or you would call on. And this was one of the many things that elevated this work beyond the typical social commentary-mixed-with-some-self-help book. Kreamer herself was yelled at by Sumner Redstone, the paleolithic b ...more
Lori
Jul 19, 2011 Lori rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. It makes sense. Anne Kreamer establishes her ethos with the fact that she is has been in the workforce for many years working as an executive. She combines methodolical research from credible sources (her bibliography is pages long) and wisdom from her experiences. I am also impressed with the layout. I love books with indices so I can find things! It's a must-have for anyone in the 21st century workplace. Brava, Anne!
Becky
Jul 30, 2015 Becky rated it liked it
There are a lot of "new" ideas in here - things I was not aware of with biological make up and how we handle stress, anger, etc. I appreciated the insight, and find it useful especially in my job and dealing with emotional intelligence in the work place. I felt it was a bit long and wordy, however. Maybe it could have been said in a lot less words.
Pam
Feb 27, 2011 Pam marked it as to-read
Won this through Goodreads First Reads...can't wait for it to arrive!!
Shureka Bolden
Lost in need of more navigation

I chose a rating of three because while I felt the topic was relevant and the interviews were good situational examples, ultimately I walked away without concrete ways of actually managing toxic work personalities and that environment.
Nina
Mar 21, 2011 Nina rated it really liked it
I was thrilled to receive this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads program. Kreamer spent 2 years gathering information. She interviewed scientists and psychologists as well as people in the workplace. With the fast-paced society in which we function, and ever-increasing technology, the boundaries between personal and work personas are blurred. Many of us spend more time at work than with family and friends.

Although the main theme is crying in the workplace, the book is truly an explorati
Jennifer W
Mar 04, 2012 Jennifer W rated it really liked it
An engaging book. I really enjoyed the scientific insights provided and the chapters on the neurology of emotions. I don't know how applicable this book will be to me in many ways at work. I work in mental health- my job *is* emotions. I think there were some useful techniques to discuss with my coworkers, but it might have been more beneficial to me to have a book that focused on the more day-to-day emotions rather than the big blow ups. Still, there's some easy coping skills mentioned, like ha ...more
Kelly
Feb 22, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
I won this book through GoodRead's First Reads program. This was the first book that I have read that really explores emotion in the workplace. I found it extremely informative and wish that I could have read this book while I was with my last company. Emotions and different styles of handling emotions play such an impact in the workplace, but is all too often ignored or downplayed. I found The Workplace Emotion Evaulation Profile (WEEP), an emotion-based version of the Myers-Briggs very enlight ...more
Won as a goodreads giveaway.

This is not the control-your-emotions how-to book that I expected.

Rather, it is much more of a scientific treatise on how our emotions work, how acceptance and the handling of emotions in the workplace needs to change due to the women's movement, and a sprinkling of emotional management ideas thrown in.

I know, that sounds less than exciting, but I found it enlightening. The chapter on crying at work was particularly interesting to me, since I hate crying at work. Her
Snogged
Sep 04, 2013 Snogged rated it liked it
This book illustrates the problems involved with emotional management in the workplace. The author examines such areas as crying/sadness, fear, anger, and anxiety. The author discusses her own personal experience working for a large media-type firm and shares examples of other women and men who have had to face these issues in the workplace.

I was a little disappointed with the practical strategies sections and I had hoped they would be longer and more concrete. I was also hoping that the "test"
Miste
Feb 25, 2011 Miste rated it it was ok
At least I will be reading it as soon as I get the book! I entered one of those goodreads give aways for free copies of books and I won a copy (it's the second time I have won)! Will write a review once I get the book and read it. Have to admit that I just couldn't finish it. It just wasn't that compelling for me--especially as a motivational self-help kind of book. The anecdotal pieces that the author threw in just felt like name dropping. The message didn't seem clear and I'm not really sure w ...more
Jamie
Aug 31, 2011 Jamie rated it liked it
"I recently heard this author on The Today Show, and as a result, this topic peaked my interest. A topic of controversy - always shrouded in shame, frustration, and as the author states in her title - personal. I'm confident this book will bring insight to anyone who has shed tears in the workplace or who has been on the receiving end. Remember the saying there's no crying in baseball? Anne Kreamer should be praised for breaking the silence on the topic of emotions in the workplace. She has pers ...more
mlady_rebecca
I won this book via the Goodreads First Reads program. Got the email on 02/22/2011. I'll let you know when the book arrives. Looks like an interesting book. Fits well with the spat of psychology books I've been reading lately, not to mention a good thing to look at when re-entering the workplace after a prolonged illness.

04/13/2011
Okay, I'm shelving this one for awhile. Nothing wrong with the book. I just think I've read too many psychology style books lately. Rating, obviously, subject to chang
Cindy
Jul 14, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it
As the title says and as we know it, it's not just business. It's always personal. Kreamer's book is well-researched and well-written such that you can follow her thought process. My favorite part is the practical Emotional Management Toolkit (EMT) that she includes at the end of each chapter to help you develop your emotional intelligence. In all, it's about starting with and reflecting on yourself before jumping the gun. A very enjoyable read and I learned a lot!
Brian Cole
Jun 27, 2012 Brian Cole rated it it was ok
This is an interlibrary loan for me and because of the date I have to abandon this book. The subtitle should have been "is it okay for you to cry in the workplace." On page 160 the author begins an extensive discussion of a test you are suppose to be able to read about and take at a website. Apparently that website has been updated and the test was dropped. I e-mailed the author regarding this and did not receive a reply.
John
Oct 07, 2014 John rated it really liked it
A well researched and engaging study of emotions and how they effect the workplace. Kreamer addresses the gender, social and biological differences in why we behave the way we do and does so in a manner that does not come across as stereotypical gender-bias. Reading it was useful in understanding my own emotional 'style' as well as how I can adapt it to improve my work relationships rather than hinder them.
Debby
Jan 03, 2016 Debby rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: non-fiction
Discussion of emotions in the workplace with physiological details making up much of the beginning. There there's a discussion of the 4 major emotions shown at work - anger, fear, anxiety & joy with recommendations on how to deal with them.

Forced to read this as punishment for yelling at a staff member, it wasn't terribly helpful and I wouldn't have gotten past the first 20 pages if it hadn't been required. Mumbo jumbo!
Grace
Feb 25, 2012 Grace rated it liked it
4 July 2013: I added a star on the 2nd read. The advice and insight resonated this time around, particularly with thinking about and strategizing about the development and implementation of my Emotion Management Toolkit (EMT). I think last year I may have found the approach a bit hokey, self-help and contrived, but you know, I recognize myself and my emotions now as more commonplace and rational than I have heretofore acknowledged.
Kristin
Oct 09, 2014 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: on-hold
My dog ate this one while I was at work. Previous books she has found objectionable include one of the Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games, and Baking Illustrated. Even before her destructive act, I found myself dawdling while reading this book; it didn't really hold my attention. The advice seems valuable, so I will probably return to this at a later time.
Natalie
Apr 19, 2015 Natalie rated it liked it
This was an interesting topic to delve into, although I took awhile to read it so I think the impact was lessened for me. I still have questions about work and emotion - the author sets a stage for possible change rather than delineating specific solutions. For a complex issue she touches on many points. The bibliography at the end lists numerous books that sound equally intriguing!!
Cindyanne
Jan 31, 2015 Cindyanne rated it it was amazing
A book for everyone to read to better understand emotions in the workplace. I've personally exhibited all the things discussed in this book (even crying), so I found it especially intriguing and enlightening. Haven't taken the test in the book to see my emotional classification, but planning on it, and the EMT toolkits at the end of each chapter would probably come in handy.
Natalia
Feb 13, 2016 Natalia rated it it was amazing
Great Book. We often forget about our emotions. Nobody teaches us how to be aware of them. But we are emotional beings.

This book is a great guide that helps us to know ourselves, to know why do we feel what we feel and the most important: to control our emotions so we're not end up being controlled by them.

A great reading for personal growth.
Sasha Boersma
The book wasn't what I thought it would be, so not giving any stars - not fair to the author. I did try to get into it, but I found it mostly collecting what's now being written about in psychology and business blogs (however, this title proceeds this topical trend, being published in 2011!). Would have been one-of-a-kind 4 yrs ago. And likely something I should have read when it first came out.
Leonard
Mar 09, 2012 Leonard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book started a little weak, but has gotten stronger as I read more and more of it. Recommended for those
having to deal with the contemporary workplace which is often toxic and harmful. This is especially useful for those in managerial or supervisory positions.
Diane
Mar 25, 2013 Diane rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
Interesting info on how emotions play at work - anger, anxiety, fear among others. I found the stories interesting and the research plausible, but I thought there would be more info on how to handle different situations. Not bad, but not as good as it could have been.
Elena Emma
Feb 27, 2013 Elena Emma rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved the concept of the book. It's very up to date on shifting perspectives in corporate business ethics. And of course, learning just how much people actually cry at work - that's mind bugging!
Sophi Frost
Apr 09, 2011 Sophi Frost rated it it was ok
I've read as much as I am going to read of this one. It is too drawn out and not enough to the point for my taste. When you are reading something that is work related it has to be quick. I broke up with this book.
Cindy
Nov 18, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
Biologically women are apt to cry more than men. This is just our biological nature. Phew ~ that makes me feel better!
Also, men tend to joke about stuff after tense situations.. and well women don't.

Interesting read.
Kathy
Mar 31, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it
Everyone should read Anne Kreamer's book! It's quite a universal topic, emotion in the workplace!
Look for my upcoming review & thoughts on It's Always Personal, next week at my book blog: www.marianslibrary.wordpress.com
Best,
Kathy
  • Take the Lead
  • Good Boss, Bad Boss: How to Be the Best... and Learn from the Worst
  • The Levity Effect: Why It Pays to Lighten Up
  • Through the Labyrinth: The Truth About How Women Become Leaders
  • Faking Smart! Get Hired, Get Promoted, and Become a VP in Six Short Weeks
  • Read This Before Our Next Meeting
  • There's No Such Thing as "Business" Ethics: There's Only One Rule for Making Decisions
  • Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life
  • Transformational Speaking: If You Want to Change the World, Tell a Better Story
  • We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World
  • Why Smart Executives Fail: And What You Can Learn from Their Mistakes
  • Better by Mistake: The Unexpected Benefits of Being Wrong
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
  • Joy at Work: A Revolutionary Approach To Fun on the Job
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • Asperger's on the Job: Must-have Advice for People with Asperger's or High Functioning Autism, and their Employers, Educators, and Advocates
  • You Are What You Wear: What Your Clothes Reveal About You
  • The Antianxiety Food Solution: How the Foods You Eat Can Help You Calm Your Anxious Mind, Improve Your Mood, and End Cravings