Start by marking “Northern Lights” as Want to Read:
Northern Lights

Northern Lights

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  29,689 ratings  ·  777 reviews
Lunacy, Alaska - population 506 - is Nate Burke's last chance. As a Baltimore cop, he had watched his partner die - and the guilt still haunts him. Maybe serving as Chief of Police in this tiny, remote town, where darkness falls by mid-afternoon and temperatures fall to below zero, will bring some kind of solace. It isn't as if he has anywhere else to go. Aside from sortin ...more
Published October 2004 by Piatkus (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Northern Lights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Northern Lights

Blacky *Romance Addict*

I think this is the first dude-lit book I've ever read.

I have to say I loved it!!
Maybe it was the narrator (who was brilliant), or just the character of Nate <3 but I really enjoyed this one.
What's really surprising is that the story here is REALLY slow, the romance as well, the suspense takes hours to get to it, but damn, I didn't really give a sh*t ahahahhahahah I just wanted to know more about him and his past and how he adjusts to life in Alaska.
Watched the movie too. Sucked. But the ma
Vishous
bUdDy rEaD wItH mY BeLgIuM wAfFlE

This was slow, but I've read books that are slower. Loved the journal entries the most, and everything how Alaska was described, especially because I have always wanted to go and see it.
The main hero was perfect, tortured soul, but NORMAL!!!
Didn't like the main heroine till almost the end. Started to like her when she started to act more ... let's say tender.

Wish I could say it gripped me, but sadly it didn't. I would even love it more without romance in it, bu
Evaine
Michelle
"This book is a perfect example of why I love Nora Roberts so much. It takes a lot for me to want to move anywhere in the north where winters are long and harsh. Yet, even long after finishing Northern Lights, there is a part of me that really wants to move to Alaska. Her descriptions of its harshness, quirkiness, and more importantly, its beauty, leaves me breathless every time and makes me want to experience it myself, even though I hate winter and snow.[return][return]Meg is the perfect heroi ...more
Glamdring
*Buddy read with V <333*

There's so many things I loved in that book.

First, the fact that the book was told from the hero's POV. It's not the first book Nora Roberts wrote that way, but I love her heroes in general so it's always a good surprise when she does it.

Second, I loved the way she spoke of Alaska and climbing in extreme conditions. In most of her books the location is part of the story and in Northern Lights she really made both feelings really vivid.

Finally, I loved both MCs and th
Krista (One Love) (Critical)
I seriously loved everything about this book. First of all, it was mostly about Nate, which was AWESOME! NR NEVER writes books about the hero! And it was soooo refreshing. On top of that, I ADORED Nate. He is seriously everything I want my future husband to be. How Nate sat with the little boy for breakfast every day was sooo cute. It made me want to kiss him. I loved spending time with him as he adapted to life in Lunacy.

Okay. I loved the setting of Alaska, because I pretty much knew nothing a
Lyndi
Ugh. This book gave me a raging headache. I don't remember who half the characters were and couldn't remember them while reading. There were just too many of them. Lots of time spent in awe of the snowy mountains. I mean, this is a busy book. Lots of things are happening. The repeated descriptions of the scenery weren't necessary. The repeated descriptions of depression weren't necessary. Damn near half the conversations weren't even necessary.

The reason this gets three stars instead of two: I w
Andrea Hussey
Of course we start out with an unlikable character using crude language and talking about sex in a completely trashy manner, two characteristics that are sure to come in a Nora Roberts book. He’s talking about him and his group all sleeping with the same whore before they leave to go to the mountain. Ew. He’s cheating on his wife and family. How admirable.

We pick up with the main guy and there’s more crude language. The 1st person he meets tells him there’s an older woman that’ll try to get in
Tina
I liked this one. Nora Robert is, in recent books of hers that I've read, 3 for 3 with the prickly heroines/cool heroes. Like Birthright and Tribute, I liked the hero more than I liked the heroine.

Police Detective Nate Burke comes to a small town Lunatic, AK (pop. around 600) to get away from the crushing despair he's felt since his partner in Baltimore died in an alley in his arms. Nate is hired on as the Sheriff of the small town. Over time he begins to heal while taking in the quirks of both
Brenda
As Ignatious Burke and his pilot, Jerk, got closer to their destination of Lunacy, Alaska, Burke was sure his life was about to end. The surrounding mountains, covered in snow and ice, the bucking plane and Burke’s churning stomach told him he really shouldn’t have climbed onto this plane. But land safely they did, and never had he been happier to stand on solid ground (albeit a frozen lake)!

Ex Baltimore cop, Nate (please!) had just been hired as Lunacy’s first Chief of Police; their small town
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Assente no Alasca, este livro permitiu-me viajar até às montanhas inóspitas, ao frio cortante da neve, ao aconchego da vila de Lunacy. Senti uma vontade irreprimível de procurar esta região, encontrar um chalé onde pudesse passar o meu tempo com uma manta nas pernas, uma chávena de chocolate quente numa mão e um livro noutra. É esta a magia das descrições de Nora Roberts, fazem-nos ansiar por uma realidade bem diferente da que vivemos!

Surpr
Sara ♥
4.5 stars.

Man, the end was pretty intense! I was like, "WHO IS IT??? WHOOOOO IIISSSS IIIIITTT?????" while banging on my steering wheel. My 3-year-old was like... "Who you talking to mom?" Hahahaha!

The narrator was really good, too. I liked that it was a guy, since the story is primarily about Nate. And his female voices weren't totally annoying, which is a huge plus!! ;)

To sum up my thoughts/feelings on this book...

I thought Nate was wonderfully flawed and that he heals in a reasonable and beli
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
At 672 kindle pages a little on the long side but nevertheless a really good slow unwinding romantic suspense combining a cold case murder, the quirkiness of a remote small town characters and interesting hero and heroine. And the inclusion of several possible murder suspects meant the whodunit kept my interest to the very end.

(4.5 stars)
Samantha
Out of the many, many Nora books I've read, this one pleasantly surprised me. It's unlike any of her other books, this one having more "gore"... but it was still such a nice read. Very well written, and of course, no one can set a scene that makes you feel like you're standing in the middle of it like Nora Roberts can, even if that scene is Alaska.
Mollie Matusick
I've only read two Nora Roberts' books--this one and Tribute--and I liked this one much better. I'm still thinking about the characters weeks after finishing. I feel like I miss them and could pick the book back up and open it to a random page just to visit with them for a little while. The story is set in a remote village in Alaska, and the main character is a cop from Baltimore who gets hired by the mayor to become chef of police after his partner was killed in the line of duty. The characters ...more
Morgan
I don't like to give bad reviews, but sorry, Nora really missed it with this one. As an Alaskan woman, I was offended by her portrayal of Alaskan women. The only character in the book I liked was her hero. Every other character came across as stupid, slutty, selfish, greedy, or a combination of all the above, and it didn't matter if it were the men or the women.

I once read a reader review in which the reader gushed about how she now knew what Alaska was really like. Well, that was Alaska in some
Northern Lights was interesting, but not what I've come to expect from Nora Roberts. The characters really come to life in this book and the reader gets dragged into the story. What was refreshing was that it was realistic...the hero wasn't superman, the heroine wasn't wonder woman....they were real, normal people.

However, the story did have a tendency to drag...it was really slow paced. Not to the point that you didn't want to keep reading, but you didn't have the urge to read 'just one more c
Debbie
Amazon Description
Roberts shines again with a nuanced tale of the Alaskan wilderness and the appealing eccentrics who cluster there. Former Baltimore cop Nate Burke accepts the unlikely post of police chief of Lunacy, Alaska (pop. 506), to stave off the depression caused by divorce and the traumatic death of his partner, for which he holds himself partly responsible. His early days in the close-knit town are quiet except for minor disturbances and a dalliance with a feisty bush pilot, Meg Gallow
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
Re-reading favorite oldies...

description

Nora Roberts knows how to write a romance. Two people, small town, one-kind of love...

Hayes
A little more than 2 stars, a little less than 3. Perfectly good "B Mystery", spoiled by "C Romance" (I'm being generous). It was fun, but I won't be hurrying to read another.
FrankieReads
This is one of my all time favorite Nora Roberts stand alone books. I connected with the main character and his love interest. I really enjoyed the very strong focus on nature with the descriptions of wild life and scenery. I'm a cold weather girl and this books scenery really drew me in. The murder mystery in this one is a departure from the regular formula of psycho killer or obsessive violence against women. I would recommend this to someone who enjoys a little romance, but not too syrupy swe ...more
Darcy
I feel like I should have liked this one better. I liked the how Nate came to Alaska, love that it was one thing, but turned into another thing. I liked the town, found myself constantly laughing at the name and how the towns people labeled themselves. What didn't work for me was Meg and her mother, in fact they so annoyed me. I was happy that Nate and Meg got their HEA, but Meg grated on my last sane nerve.

I thought the "who dun it" was pretty good as it kept me guessing. I did like how slowly
Christy
Mar 23, 2015 Christy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance fans, Nora Roberts
Recommended to Christy by: Shirley
This was the first book by Nora Roberts that I have read. I have seen three of her movies based off books. This happened to be one of them which is why I knew I would love it.

Ignatious 'Nate' Burke has left Baltimore and is moving to Lunacy Alaska to be the Chief of Police. However, not everybody is happy that he was hired since he is an outsider a cheechakos as the locals call him. The most Nate thinks he'll have to deal with are few drunks maybe, but he is dead wrong. After a body is found by
Kara Jorges
Nora outdoes herself again. Just when it seems she has reached her peak and her work is in danger of becoming too predictable, she manages to break new ground, even while wrapping us in the familiar comfort of her prose. This book is a little different, focusing almost exclusively on the thoughts and inner turmoils of the hero, and barley scratching the surface of the heroine. Nora has made the hero the focal point of several previous novels, but her other heroines have shown more of themselves ...more
Mara
Nora Roberts is a hit-or-miss author for me. I guess I just find some of her (older) shorter books a bit old skool (and I don't like that kind of romance, where the dick-y hero punishes heroine for her own good or whatever). This one was interesting, mostly due to the unusual setting of a small town in Alaska. Saying that is a bit unfair to the main characters, though.

Meg is not your typical heroine. She has some family problems, commitment issues, and she lives to be wild and free. As a bush p
Jane Stewart
Really good mystery, some romance to go with it, feel good ending, enjoyable escape.

STORY BRIEF:
Nate was a cop in Baltimore. His partner was killed on the job. Nate felt responsible and was sad, withdrawn and depressed for months. He left Baltimore to become police chief of a small town in Alaska, hoping to further lose himself. He meets Meg who is a fiercely independent bush pilot, flying people and supplies around Alaska. She has more masculine traits than feminine and is the initiator of casu
Cheryl Landmark
Although I'm not a fan of her romance novels, I've read a number of Nora Roberts' mysteries and fantasy trilogies and I think she's a very prolific and good writer. I found this book to be no exception. I loved Nate's quirky sense of humour and his interactions with the many colourful characters in the small Alaskan town where he moves to pick up the pieces of his life and start over again. I love my female heroines to be strong and independent, but sometimes Meg was just a little too prickly an ...more
Jacob Proffitt
I've come to think of some of Roberts' books as travelogues. These highlight a location (and sometimes a profession) that is unusual or distinctive in some way. Roberts does an excellent job of evoking these locations and the people who live there. She draws you into their lives and brings you not just to understand them but to see why they are who they are and what their homes mean to them as well.

Needless to say, this book is one of this type. In this one, we get to know a small town in Alaska
Christianne
This novel would've been perfect except for Charlene's attitude or better yet her presence. I actually though that she would have a more important role or that we would get to see her change in the book. I mean, she did change but not enough for me to be convinced that she's an okay person.

It's kinda funny though that Nate's scared of Charlene. And he's always in the middle when mother and daughter butt heads. Meg was very straight forward and headstrong. I liked her but it just bothers me th
Cristiana Ramos
Este livro conta-nos a história de Nate Burke, um polícia que nunca mais foi o mesmo quando assistiu à morte do seu colega, culpando-se e pensando que ele é que devia ter partido. Para tentar fugir aos seus fantasmas e para se isolar acaba por aceitar o cargo de Chefe de Polícia no Alasca, um ótimo sítio para o estado da alma dele. Se Nate achava que naquela remota vila iria descobrir a calma e a solidão, enganou-se e bem enganado! Começa por não ser totalmente aceite pela a população pelo facto ...more
  • Imitation in Death (In Death, #17)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her
More about Nora Roberts...

“I don't kick a man when he's down, unless I'm the one who put him down in the first place. I don't put him down unless he deserves it. And I don't break my word if I give it. So I'll give you my word.” 165 likes
“What are these?”
Meg looked at the rings of keys in Nate’s hand, deliberately furrowed her brow. “Those would be keys.”
“Why do you need so many keys?”
“Because there are so many locks? Is this a quiz?”
He jingled them in his palm while she continued to give him a sunny, innocent smile. “Meg, you don’t even lock your doors half the time. What are all these keys about?”
“Well… There are times a person needs to get into a place, and hey, that place is locked. Then she would need a key.”
“And this place that, hey, is locked, wouldn’t be the property of that person. Would that be correct?”
“Techincally. But no man is an island, and it takes a village, and so on. We’re all one in the Zen universe.”
“So these would be Zen keys?”
“Exactly. Give them back.”
“I don’t think so.” He closed his fist around them. “You see, even in the Zen universe I’d hate to arrest my wife for unlawful entry.”
“I’m not your wife yet, buddy. Did you have a search warrant for those?”
“They were in plain sight. No warrant necessary.”
“Gestapo.”