Start by marking “Game Frame: Using Games as a Strategy for Success” as Want to Read:
Game Frame: Using Games as a Strategy for Success

Game Frame: Using Games as a Strategy for Success

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Ever wonder why teens can spend entire weekends playing video games but struggle with just one hour of homework? Why we’re addicted to certain websites and steal glances at our smartphones under the dinner table? Or why some people are able to find joy in difficult or repetitive jobs while others burn out? It’s not the experiences themselves but the way ...more
Published March 8th 2011 by Free Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Game Frame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game Frame

Reality Is Broken by Jane McGonigalGamification by Design by Gabe ZichermannFor the Win by Kevin WerbachThe Gamification of Learning and Instruction by Karl M. KappEnterprise Games by Michael Hugos
Gamification
10th out of 10 books — 12 voters
For the Win by Kevin WerbachGamification by Design by Gabe ZichermannLoyalty 3.0 by Rajat PahariaReality Is Broken by Jane McGonigalCommunity Building on the Web by Amy Jo Kim
Gamification CMFUNED
29th out of 37 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This book is a decent beginner book on how gaming can work to motivate people. I borrowed it specifically for work to learn more about gamification. I've read other reviews where it said this book was just so so. I found it to be a good foundation for me since I know nothing about this type of learning style. Chapter eight and nine were the best chapters for me. It was more practical on "how to design" your game and what are the good game mechanics and dynamics.

Mr. Dignan writes in a very easy
Craig
Oct 05, 2011 Craig rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: games
This is a crash course in the video game conversation going on in both the academy and industry. Start here if names like Bogost, McGonigal or Juul are unfamiliar to you. This would make a great primer for an intro class on the subject of games.

Having said that, if you are familiar with the existing academic dialogue, this will feel really tedious/ almost plagiarized (the author does a good job of recognizing sources, but it often feels like a cobbled-together student paper). The writing falls a
Santiago Eximeno
Una obra maestra. El mejor libro que he leído en mi vida sobre el universo lúdico.
JC
That time of year again where I"m reading books for work. This was a great introduction gamification and the reasoning behind it. Overall the book felt well done and I enjoyed reading all of it. This is my first dive into gamification so it was all new to me. Lots of great ideas to start with from this book.
Luke
The first chunk really comes off as a kid from the 80s who lived video games and wants to make it a serious scientific topic for managing people with loose examples and "see it could work" conclusions.
But somewhere in the middle a bit more real strategy and insight come in that make it a decent read.
Jon Cassie
A particularly great book for those new to gamification. I give it 4 stars based on that, mindful that I've read many of the sources Dignan is using and so I felt more like I was having a conversation with someone who's agenda was mine and where I was mostly nodding my head saying "yes" and "indeed" and "ooh, I hadn't thought of that." There's good stuff in here for educators and as someone deeply interested in the gamified classroom, I took great comfort in the chapters on the "game frame" from ...more
Chris Aylott
Covers a lot of the same ground as Reality is Broken, but does it with a more practical and less messianic viewpoint. I think it helps that the author is an entrepreneur, not a game designer, and is more interested in the practical applications of game design than in declaring its place in the world.

Dignan reminded me of the importance of looping action and feedback, and gave me a couple of good ideas -- one of which was for a game that might interest the picky little eater at our dinner table!
Scarlett Sims
This book is similar to Reality is Broken by Jane McGonical, and Dignan references her several times, although this book is a bit more structured. He gives a bit of information about the history/background of games and then gives a step-by-step way of developing a behavioral game, complete with numerous examples. It was a pretty quick read and, I think, really useful. I can definitely use some of his strategies in teaching and I'm pretty sure these ideas could be implemented in lots of places.
Ivan Totev
This is a great introduction to gamification, but it felt that it needs more dept at times. It starts with a somehow too wide explanation of why games are important in our lives and then gets into the elements and structure of games. The latter part of it - the explanation of the Game frame was the part that was interesting and probably most valuable. Overall - I think its a good read to get the basics of gamification and a start point into a more deep view of the subject.
Erik
A really good read. A great introduction into why games are so compelling, and how we can apply game-like techniques to other problems. A few of his points seemed naive or simplistic but I agreed with most of the book and really felt he understood the space deeply. It has a great chapter near the end which contains a collection of game mechanics that are likely to be usefull in other domains.
Ryan Seamons
Great manual on engagement through game theory. He really focuses on behavioral games. Fun Theory (by volkswagon) is a great example. I really liked his 9th chapter, which is 50 pages on different behavioral game building blocks. A must read for any manager or parent who want to help people not simply complete tasks, but love doing them.
D. Redhawk
Interesting book. It breaks down game development into easy to understand chunks. The subtitle is “Using Games as a Strategy for Success” so you can imagine that the focus is more on the corporate structure toward the end.
Tony Fortner
Excellent book for those wanting to understand the underpinnings of gamification.
BakuDreamer
This is like a sublevel of the McGonigal book.
Carlos
May 09, 2014 Carlos rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: game, ux
A really good book.
Yaroslav Gorbal
Yaroslav Gorbal marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
George Samuels
George Samuels marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Neha
Neha marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Vishnu E
Vishnu E marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Verbear
Verbear marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Esther Daang
Esther Daang marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: Game-Based Methods and Strategies for Training and Education
  • For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business
  • Total Engagement: How Games and Virtual Worlds Are Changing the Way People Work and Businesses Compete
  • The Gamification Revolution: How Leaders Leverage Game Mechanics to Crush the Competition
  • Homo Ludens: A Study of the Play-Element in Culture
  • A Theory of Fun for Game Design
  • Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals
  • Reality Is Broken: Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World
  • Teaching Digital Natives: Partnering for Real Learning
  • Creating Significant Learning Experiences: An Integrated Approach to Designing College Courses
  • How Brands Become Icons: The Principles of Cultural Branding
  • Working in the UnOffice: A Guide to Coworking for Indie Workers, Small Businesses, and Nonprofits
  • The Joy Of Calvinism: Knowing God's Personal, Unconditional, Irresistible, Unbreakable Love
  • Jesus Made in America: A Cultural History from the Puritans to the Passion of the Christ
  • Hacking Work: Breaking Stupid Rules for Smart Results
  • God and Football: Faith and Fanaticism in the SEC
  • The Seven Laws of Teaching
  • Worth Every Penny: How to Charge What You're Worth When Everyone Else is Discounting