Start by marking “Portrait of Seduction (Seduction, #2)” as Want to Read:
Portrait of Seduction (Seduction, #2)

Portrait of Seduction (Seduction #2)

Salzburg, 1805

Greta Zwieg forges masterpieces. With her copies on their walls and the original paintings safely hidden, the noble families of Austria can rest assured their treasures will survive Napoleon's advances. But now Greta's uncle is changing the rules, selling her counterfeits as originals. Greta abhors the deceit. Anxious for her family's safety in a perilous tim
Published May 2nd 2011 by Carina Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Portrait of Seduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait of Seduction

Rane
When I first read Carrie Lofty's Song of Seduction, I was just drawn completely into the story, the setting and the characters. It hit the right inner HR reader cord in me. When learned of the sequel, and it following a character the reader wanted to know more in Song- Oliver Doerger. This book could do no wrong in my eyes, and lived up to the hype I had for it.

To help those families protect their masterpieces of art and history, Greta Zwieg with her uncle's pushing forges these art pieces. Gr
Fani *loves angst*
Well, this book has been a welcome surprise. Something in the cover and plot description made me think this would be a slow paced and rather tame romance with a big emphasis on the historical background, which is Napoleon's invasion to Austria. I'm glad to say that neither of these assumptions of mine came true. This was fast, sexy and while the historical events were featured in the plot, they did NOT steal the show from the romance.

Gretta is a woman of noble birth living with her uncle after
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Lofty’s Song of Seduction is one of my five star romances. I thought it was clever, thoughtful, multi-layered, well-characterised, romantic and sexy. So I came to this hoping for a similar experience. Alas, not to be.

Frankly, this book felt like it was written by an entirely different author. And it’s 2.5 mediocre stars for me.

Oliver, the hero, is the most interesting character, but that’s not saying very much. Bastard brother and sort of government agent in Salzburg. On reading that this book
Katie Michaels
May 27, 2011 Katie Michaels rated it really liked it
Greta is a 20 year-old orphan who lives off the charity of her uncle. But she earns her keep, painting forgeries for him. And she bides her time for the day he will arrange a proper marriage for her, as he has long promised.

During a family trip to the opera, Greta finds herself at the wrong place at the wrong time, and is taken hostage by a political zealot. Her life is saved by an unlikely hero... the valet of one of the other guests. Of course, no one realizes that Oliver is much more than a v
Maqluba
I loved the hero, got annoyed by the heroine, enjoyed the different setting (it's NOT England, Scotland OR America!), and lost direction all throughout this book.

The heroine is an artist who gets treated like crap by her uncle but she still does everything he asks her, no questions asked. I really didn't understand the hold he had on her.. he treated her parents like crap, he uses her and sells her to the highest bidder, and she just keeps her mouth closed and goes with the flow because... he al
Denise
May 07, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
Carrie Lofty brings her characters to life in this tale set in Salzburg, Austria on the cusp of war with Napoleon. Greta Zwieg is busy forging paintings for her uncle who she finds out is selling them as originals. All she wants to do is paint her own originals so that she can satisfy her own artistic talents.
Greta meets Oliver Doerger, when he saves her life at the hands of a madman. Oliver is posing as his half brothers valet in order to spy on the political goings on within Austria and to p
Lisa Jo
May 12, 2011 Lisa Jo rated it really liked it
Portrait of Seduction is a great second installment to the Seduction Series. With great characters, fascinating plots and a beautiful romance, this is another Lofty novel you must read!

Greta Zwieg has an undeniable talent as an artist. Obviously, since her tyrannical Uncle is able to sell her forged copies of the family’s masterpieces off as originals. Since he is her guardian, she has no choice but to go along with his plans. She knows she just has to bide her time until he attains enough money
Jen
May 13, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
It appears as though Carrie Lofty hit her stride with Portrait of Seduction. While it contains the same flowing and elegant prose as Song of Seduction, the story of this book felt more powerful and engaging. My emotions rode along the same waves as that of our main characters, Oliver Doerger and Greta Zwieg, as they struggled to overcome their class differences.

Greta, our heroine, is an artist. But unfortunately, due to her uncle's more sinister pursuits, she's forced to create forgeries of famo
Wonderbunny
Jul 07, 2011 Wonderbunny rated it liked it
Single sentence summary: Greta paints because she loves it but she paints copies because her uncle demands it in order to make up for him having to take of her all these years but when he starts to sell the copies as originals, things are going to change.

This book wasn’t bad by any means (3.5 Stars is means it was a good book). It just dragged at times and at other times the action with the characters felt nonstop. There was a lot going on but the pacing was a little off for me. The book would
Abby
Jun 17, 2011 Abby rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, ebook
Orphaned Margaret (Greta) Zweig lives with her noble-but-broke uncle and his family and while she's a talented artist she must earns her keep by painting forgeries for her uncle to sell. Attending the opera one night, Greta is taken hostage by a would-be-assassin when his attempt to kill the Grand Dunk is thwarted. She is rescued by an unlikely hero, Oliver Doeger, valet to the wealthy Venner family. Of course, however, Oliver is so much more than a simple valet.

As usual, Lofty tackles so much m
Christy B
Just like Song of Seduction, Portrait of Seduction was another refreshing historical romance.

Set in Salzburg in 1805, with Napoleon and his army advancing, Greta Zweig is a talented painter living with her uncle and two cousins. She forges great works while the originals are hidden for safe-keeping. However, Greta is soon horrified to find out that her uncle is actually selling her forgeries as if they were the originals.

Greta's secret is soon found out by Oliver Doerger – a valet and someone w
Daidase
Jun 08, 2013 Daidase added it
Shelves: intense-hr, spy-hr, dnf
This is my first dnf-shelf book. Of course I have left a book unfinished before. Although the number of it could not reach five or so.. but since I have an account here on goodreads it is my first. Anyway.. I want to explain, I've been caught up for like two months or maybe longer, been living in books. Then I had to go to another country (Norway) in the middle of reading this book, for a study related course. It has been two weeks since I last read one page of a novel.

And now I realized I can'
Dee
Jun 29, 2011 Dee rated it really liked it
***This book was received as an ARC from NetGalley***

Having read a lot of historical romance over the years, I am always on the lookout for books that are set in non-traditional countries (and by this, I mean, France, England, Scotland - which I would guesstimate make up about 85% of most historical romances)...so when I saw this one was set in Austria, I was immediately intrigued. Added to that, since I studied the French Revoluation in high school (and my mom being a French teacher) I am inter
Cleffairy
May 21, 2011 Cleffairy rated it really liked it
Reviewed at: Library of Lights

Date reviewed: 22 May 2011

Review link: http://mykindaland.com/?p=312

I was expecting a very laid back historical romance when I picked up Portrait of Seduction by Carrie Lofty. I was really surprised that instead of a slow paced story, I was served with a deliciously sexy and fast paced story instead. If you're looking for something fast and historical, then this story is the answer to your prayers.

This story is about two awkward people coming together and I enjoyed
Viivika Tamm
Apr 18, 2014 Viivika Tamm rated it really liked it
Kõrgest soost preili armub teenrisse ning avastab endas hulljulge ja seiklushimulise külje. Oliver Doergeri ontlik ning korrektne käitumine on raskesti tulnud töövõit tema metsiku nooruse käitumise üle. Koos õhutavad nad üksteist rikkuma ühiskonna norme. Tulemuseks on sensuaalne teekond teineteise ning iseenda ihade tundma õppimisel.

Mul on alati olnud nõrkus impulsiivse ning loogikavastase käitumise vastu, kui asi puutub armumisse. Selles raamatus rahuldasid seda nõrkust mõlemad peategelased. Er
Fedora
Aug 12, 2015 Fedora rated it it was amazing
Four and a half stars.

Lovely romance set in the waning days of a free Salzburg before Napoleon's advances.

Greta Zwieg is an artist. Compelled by her uncle to copy masterpieces, she longs for the freedom to paint as her own muse leads.

Oliver Doerger acts as a valet for his legitimate half brother, the esteemed Lord Venner. He also acts as his eyes and ears with more freedom than most servants. But he isn't free to pursue love either.

Ms. Lofty writes convincingly about the passion that these two
chanceofbooks
May 26, 2011 chanceofbooks rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-read, netgalley
Great writing, but I just couldn't get into the setting: Austria during the Napoleon conflict. If you love unusual historical novels filled with intrigue and mystery set outside of England, you will love this novel. Lofty does a great job crafting a believable sense of time and place. I liked how unusual heroine was as well--she's the painter of reproduction portraits.
Blythe Barnhill
May 13, 2011 Blythe Barnhill rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
The best thing about this one? The setting! The characters are all Austrian. I did feel that it slowed down a bit in the middle, but overall I was entertained, and enjoyed reading about a part of the world virtually ignored in romance novel land.
Erica Anderson
Really liked the unconventional hero and heroine, which seems to be a hallmark of Carrie Lofty's unusual historicals. If you're looking for something not set in London ballrooms, you should definitely check out Lofty.
Jennifer McQuiston
Jul 11, 2012 Jennifer McQuiston rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved this book. Carrie Lofty is a master storyteller. The novel pulls you into a complicated, passionate love affair between a guilt-ridden, tortured musician and the virtuoso that is the only woman he could love.
Eliza
Oct 17, 2016 Eliza rated it really liked it
Contained interesting, attention capturing details. If I were the author, I'd work a tad more on character development and the depth of character within the main protagonists.
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2012
Eve Perry
Eve Perry rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2011
Susinok
Susinok rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2011
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Issa
Issa rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2012
Giedre
Oct 11, 2015 Giedre rated it liked it
3.5/5

Susan Camper
Susan Camper rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2012
C.Ro
C.Ro rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2013
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 24, 2015 08:35PM
Two time RITA-nominated and multiple RT Reviewers' Choice-winning author Carrie Lofty has over twenty books to her name--or four names, to be precise. Her paranormal (as Lindsey Piper ) and historical romances from Pocket have been described as "nuanced and superbly realized" (The Chicago Tribune) and "sexy, brutal and somehow innocent" (All About Romance). Now Carrie is celebrating her first New ...more
More about Carrie Lofty...

Seduction (2 books)
  • Song of Seduction (Seduction, #1)