Start by marking “Doglands” as Want to Read:

Doglands

Published September 27th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Suzanne
Mar 03, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Like Watership Down plays out the world of rabbits and Animal Farm reveals the politics of the farmyard, Doglands takes on the point of view of a greyhound mixed breed pup Furgul from his whelping cage with champion runner mother Keeva in a horrible dog breeding place the dogs call Dedbone Hole. When it becomes clear to Keeva's sadistic master that her litter was with Argal, a lurcher, rather than the purebreeds, Furgul and his sisters are slated for destruction.

In feats of derring-do and gumpt
Luna Pacheco
May 04, 2016 Luna Pacheco rated it it was amazing
This book has got a very special place in my heart. Thanks to this book, which was recommended by a friend of mine, I've regained my love for reading after not reading a book since many years... It's amazing how it changed my life. The messages in this book are beautiful and profound, and very worth reading. Furgul will forever stay in my memory. Thank you for this wonderful work, Tim Willocks.
Stormize
Jan 14, 2017 Stormize rated it it was amazing
God, I love this book so much. One of my favorites honestly - I usually don't read books from an animal's POV but I read this years ago & it still has a special place in my heart. I just love the plot & the characterization; many parts of the book made me tear up LOL.
Aidan Robins
Oct 26, 2016 Aidan Robins rated it it was amazing
This book was so good I really got into it finishing it in a couple of hours. I really wish the book was longer or it had another book
My Inner Shelf
En 2010, La Religion de Tim Willocks m’avait fortement impressionnée, l’occasion de lire autre chose du même auteur s’est présentée lors du FIRN de Frontignan, où j’ai eu la chance de rencontrer Tim Willocks. Oui, mesdames et messieurs, lui-même en personne en chair et en os. Joie ! L’occasion donc de faire dédicacer mon pavé exemplaire de La Religion ainsi que Bad City Blues, sans oublier son dernier roman, Doglands, lisible par nos morveux jeunes à partir de 12 ans. Pour écrire Doglands, Tim W ...more
Shelley Daugherty
Dec 09, 2015 Shelley Daugherty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If you are looking for an honest account of life from a dog’s view of the world this is your book. True to the ways of Richard Adams novels, life is given to the world of the dog with vivid reality, their interactions with each other, beliefs, and ways of life which we humans might misconstrue as something else. A beautifully epic novel which is sure to stand the test of time as a classic.

Now bear in mind that this book is from the viewpoint of a dog who has seen some pretty horrendous things.
Ticklish Owl
This is a hard book to rate. The dog mythology, characterization, and plot pacing are well done, I really enjoyed those parts. I also liked how human conversations were depicted, for example, Dedbone's "Boast, boast, boast" and "Gloat, gloat, gloat".

The author did a lot of research on puppy mills, greyhound racing, and animal cruelty; all of which are integral to the plot. Certain scenes are so accurate in regards to animal cruelty, I wanted to skip them. It's not that they are exceedingly grap
J.T.
May 17, 2015 J.T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
Summary:
Furgul is a puppy born in a slave camp for racing greyhounds, and he has a terrible secret--he is himself only part greyhound. When the cruel owner of the camp recognizes Furgul's impure origins he takes Furgul to be killed, but Furgal manages a spectacular escape. Now Furgul must confront the indifference, complexity, warmth, and ferocity of the greater world, a world in which there seem to be two choices: live the comfortable life of a pet and sacrifice freedom or live the life of a fr
P.M.
Dec 13, 2011 P.M. rated it it was amazing
The blurb on the cover compared this book to "Call of the Wild" and "Watership Down." To me, it seemed more like "Black Beauty." Furgul, the mixed breed son of Keeva, a champion greyhound, and Argal, an Irish wolfhound free dog, has many adventures trying to survive and find the legendary Doglands. Along the way, he survives a murderous attempt by his villainous owner Dedbone who does succeed in killing Furgul's two sisters. He meets allies and enemies along the way: Brennus, Dervla, Zinni, Baz ...more
Stéphanie
Jun 18, 2012 Stéphanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ado, offices-ado-2012
Doglands est au départ un roman plutôt original car l’histoire est intégralement vue à travers les yeux d’un chien, Furgul, jeune batard lévrier/chien-loup né en Angleterre, dans un élevage illégal de lévriers de course.
Le récit, construit comme une quête initiatique, est bourré d’humour et décrit des situations parfois très intenses en émotions. L’écriture est vive, imagée et ne laisse pas au lecteur le temps de s’ennuyer. L’auteur, en nous faisant partager la vision qu’à Furgul de l’homme, po
Althéa
Sep 19, 2014 Althéa rated it it was amazing
Ça pourrait être une histoire pour enfants, mais ça ne l'est pas. Cest bien plus profond, bien trop brutal et percutant, aussi, pour l'etre. J'imaginé qu'il faut aimer les animaux, et plus spécifiquement les chiens, pour aimer ce livre à sa juste valeur, mais en ce qui me concerne, je suis épatée par la justesse qui semble sourdre de chaque mot qu'écrit Willocks, par l'absence totale de "trop" là où d'autres se seraient embourbés dans la surenchère. C'est beau, et ça mérite d'être lu et reconnu ...more
Megan
Feb 12, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book!!! It's a great story from the point of view of a dog named Furgul, who must escape from his home in a greyhound breeding... thing because his father was a wild dog instead of a greyhound. As he learns to survive as a pet or in the wild, he has to choose what kind of dog he wants to be and find out if he can discover the doglands- where wild and free dogs find home. I really recommend this book for anyone who likes animals/dogs or is just looking for an adventure!
Zane
Apr 19, 2016 Zane rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs
When I first embarked upon this book, I was told that it was going to be rather a lot like Watership Down, and was very disappointed when it turned out to be nothing like it at all. In fact, I wasn't super fond of this book for a large portion of the beginning. Like, it was readable, but not all that much to capture my interest. Then this became a story about one dog's struggle to keep his nuts (and his freedom), and I was sold. I like it when books take surprising turns like that.
Nichole Cheung
Aug 07, 2012 Nichole Cheung rated it it was amazing

Wow this book was amazing. It let my mind wander. It was like I was part of the book. I recommend this book. If you are a dog lover you will love this book! This gives you a glimpse at what it's like to be a dog and look at humans.

I liked it because it showed me how a dog feels about animal abuse and makes me want to be kinder to my dog and I now know how she feels. I hope that this also helps all young people that dogs should be respected.
Cathy
Jun 25, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story. Action packed, and moves along like wildfire. Full of insightful commentary on the treatment of animals by humans.

Willocks's take on a dog's view of the absurdities regarding the way humans try to manage dogs as pets is priceless. But, be warned, his take on the cruelty that some humans subject dogs to is quite heartbreaking.

Adults will enjoy it too.
Célia
Feb 06, 2013 Célia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeunesse
Malgré les bonnes critiques et récompenses, je n'ai pas réussi à entrer en résonance avec ce livre. La violence et les retournements rocambolesques ont eu raison de moi et de ma patience.
Ouf. J'en ai fini avec ce livre, passons à autre chose.
Ms. Myers
This story is about a dog named Furgul and his adventure. The story is very interesting because it has an adventure about a dog. I like this story because it meets more dogs and people. People should read this story cause then that person can tell other people to read this story
Joancollins
Oct 12, 2013 Joancollins rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book laughed, cried & cheered. Full of cliches & sentiment but it works wonderfully. It's a wonder Disney hasn't made it into a flick though might be a little too dark...one of the best books I've read.
Andy Song
Mar 04, 2013 Andy Song rated it it was amazing
I like how the author wrote this book on dogs and how some of them dont have any freedom to be a free dog.
Oriane
Aug 15, 2012 Oriane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prenant mais dérangeant : il n'y a qu'un seul humain gentil dans tout le livre et encore c'est une "meurtrière" repentie.
Claire
Apr 29, 2015 Claire rated it really liked it
This book was engaging and I really liked it! Some of the dialogue could have been better written, though.
Carol
Dec 28, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
Good book -- heavy theme of cruelty to animals -- reminded me in some ways of Erin Hunter's Warrior's series (first)
Jacqui
Jul 24, 2014 Jacqui rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. It is my favorite book. I love Furgal and all of his courage and resilience. Won't say any more coz of spoilers.
BEST BOOK EVER!!!!
Jonathan Beardsley
Jun 28, 2016 Jonathan Beardsley rated it it was amazing
Brilliant - a modern day watership down. If you love dogs you should read this. Not ashamed to say, made me well up many times.
Randi
Aug 27, 2014 Randi rated it liked it
An entertaining and quick read with a creative voice and idea, though it definitely has some dark moments that surprised me.
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Jaana
Jaana rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
Carl lutzka
Carl lutzka rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2014
Amber Weikle
Amber Weikle rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
All About Animals: Doglands 1 9 Jun 30, 2015 11:19PM
  • Dogmagic (Animalmagic, #2)
  • Waggit's Tale
  • The Boy Who Spoke Dog
  • The Vanishing (The Last Dogs, #1)
  • The Return (Dogs of the Drowned City, #3)
  • Soldier Dog
  • Oh No, Newf! (Pet Trouble, #5)
  • Storm Warning (Dog Whisperer, #2)
  • Help! I'm Trapped in Obedience School Again
  • Dogboy (Brind, #1)
  • Buried Thunder
  • Boy
  • How Sweet It is
  • Rescued (Ape Quartet, #3)
  • The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)
  • Finding Danny
British doctor and novelist.
More about Tim Willocks...