Start by marking “The Avengers, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
The Avengers, Volume 2

The Avengers, Volume 2 (The Avengers (Volume 4) #2)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  628 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Collecting Avengers (2010) 7-12, 12.1

Marvel's super-secret brain trust has reunited because someone is trying to put the Infinity Gauntlet back together. Who is it and will the Avengers be able to stop them in time? And what does any of this have to do with the Red Hulk? Plus, is there a little romance brewing? Another blistering blockbuster chapter from Marvel's premiere

Published July 27th 2011 by Marvel Enterprises, Inc. (first published June 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Avengers, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Avengers, Volume 2

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiAnya's Ghost by Vera BrosgolAmerican Born Chinese by Gene Luen YangBatman by Frank MillerBatman, Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder
Graphic Novels for High School Students
36th out of 111 books — 14 voters
Avengers Legends, Vol. 1 by Kurt BusiekThe New Avengers, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisJLA/Avengers by Kurt BusiekAvengers Assemble, Vol. 1 by Kurt BusiekYoung Avengers, Vol. 1 by Allan Heinberg
Best of the Avengers
57th out of 176 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Kemper
SHIELD Surveillance Report - Subject: Team code named ‘The Avengers’ - Top Secret - Nick Fury’s Eyes Only - Transcript that follows documents a conversation between Steve Rogers (Former Captain America) and Tony Stark (a/k/a Iron Man).

Steve Rogers: Hey, Tony. How are you doing?

Tony Stark: Not too bad. You wanted to talk about something?

SR: Yeah, I do. Take a seat. I just wanted to let you know that I was initially a little leery of putting you on this team of Avengers.

TS: I understand. After all
Nicolo Yu
Post- Siege (check out my review of the miniseries here) experienced a massive Avengers renaissance highlighted by the return of the original adjective-less Avengers title, as opposed to New, Secret, Academy and Young. The launch of new titles featured the different Avengers branches and an expanded roster. This new era could be rightly called a Heroic Age , the end of division ( Civil War ), no more distrust ( Secret Invasion ) and a hero appointed as America’s new top cop, as opposed to Osborn’s ...more
Jacob
I’ve been reading The Avengers on a monthly basis since a little before Bendis pulled the whole Disassembled thing. Looking back on it, that’s a lot of time to invest into a title. Couple that with the fact that I stuck with Bendis’ handling of the team through both the New and Mighty Avengers titles and then the “Heroic Age” relaunch and that’s a lot of time spent reading his take on the franchise. I’ll admit that for me, Bendis is the name I will probably always associate with Avengers. I’ve g ...more
Mike
God I hope Bendis knows what he's doing because if he keeps writing these earth-shattering stories he's gotta run out of ideas sometime. And what do we read about then - Spidey gets a hangnail?

I continue to enjoy Bendis' writing - even though it's continuing on this path of more serious, more earnest writing. There's lots of thought and backstory put into each storyline and it's clear Bendis takes this job seriously, not phoning it in (at least not on this book).

JRJr is harder to pin down my opi
Sam Quixote
SPOILERS

What do you do when you start a series called “New Avengers”? Dredge up old storylines of course! Brian Michael Bendis goes back to Jim Starlin’s “The Infinity Gauntlet” for this new iteration of the Avengers to play out. The Hood (yup, really) has bribed his way out of Ryker’s Island and made it to the secret kingdom of the late Black Bolt to acquire the first of the Infinity Gems – powerful stones that, once all 5 are collected together, form the Infinity Gauntlet, an item of incredibl
William Thomas
One of the very first crossovers I ever read was the single issue format of The Infinity Gauntlet. I was in total awe of that book. It was so damn big, so monumental, so perfect to me at the time. Seeing all of the heroes and Adam Warlock and Thanos and Epoch and Galactus... it was just so damn cool. Its what started me reading the Infinity Watch, a supremely underrated book if there ever was one. I was ten years old at the time and I had just fallen in love. My first love.

And I think Bendis mus
Jeff
Aug 19, 2013 Jeff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comix
The Infinity Gauntlet. Remember that storyline. It appears that The Hood (Is he called “The Hood” because he wears a hood or because he’s the pent-ultimate hoodlum?) discovers the existence of the Infinity Gems while in prison and begins to track them down. The Illuminati, the Marvel Universe’s behind the scenes mover and shakers, hid the gems because the person/being who controls them all has absolute power over everything. Everything!

The storyline also brings the Red Hulk into the heroes' fold
Sonic
I thoroughly enjoyed this!

(My ONE criticism would be the horror I felt when I read the in the Precap about the Red Hulk. I hate who he supposedly is, and it almost ruined it for me. Amongst ALL the things we comics readers are supposed to allow for in the category of "suspension of disbelief" I had a particular problem with this one.
And it scratches the raw nerve of how the Hulk has never resembled (being a mutated version of) Bruce Banner.

Am I right?
Am I Right???

Anyway...
Once I got over that
Jaime
I was disappointed in the first volume of Bendis' Avengers post-Siege series. It was great to see Steve Rogers back with his teammates, however, I was not happy to see Ultron, or Kang, and another convoluted timestream story. Fortunately, this second volume was a major improvement as the Illuminati discover (once again) that their actions had unforeseen consequences. In "New Avengers: Illuminati", Reed Richards convinced the group to find and take custody of the Infinity Gems, so they don't fall ...more
$ergio O
Dec 19, 2014 $ergio O rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any kid who likes comics
Recommended to $ergio by: My self
The Avengers was a pretty good book. There are 5 gems that make the Avengers strong. The gems are locked up in a secret place. A guy went mountain climbing with a group of friends. He fell down in a deep hole. Luckily he was tied up. The man cut his rope and landed on the ground. There was a cave. He followed it. He came across two big metal doors. Behind those doors were 4 gems. The gems were glowing, bright, and all with different colors. When he grabbed them he felt so powerful. The Avengers ...more
Dear Brian Michael Bendis: Never change. That bit with Spiderman explaining to Noh-Varr that Steve Rogers and Tony Stark are the mom and dad of the Avengers will never get old. Never.

Also, the story was good and well-executed. Romita Jr.'s art is fantastic (I particularly love the way he draws Steve Rogers and Thor).
Gavin
Aug 27, 2014 Gavin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comixology, comics
***Read only Issue #12.1***

From the wonderful folks at Comixology, this one covers the disappearance of Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman, and features a butt-load of Avengers, all working to find her. It's fun to see so many teamed up, but you dilute what each can contribute when you have so many...
The head of SWORD (that Green Haired Chick that used-to/might still date Beast) shows up to explain that Jessica went missing, and it's up to them all to find her.

She's been taken by some of the big baddies
Jordan Lahn
This felt much more in keeping with the legacy of New Avengers, perhaps because it got the whole gang back together to fight the Hood. I appreciate that Bendis throws a great villain into a tricky plot, and just when you're starting to wonder "Wait, isn't this guy in jail? And how does he know about the gems?" he throws in a series of flashbacks that answer all those questions. Much less front heavy than telling the whole story in sequence, and it adds a bit of mystery.
Still not a big fan of the
P Fosten
Jonathan
A highly entertaining and rollicking read. This may not match a four star classic novel in depth but it sure can equal it in terms of entertainment. And that is ultimately how I judge a book - by how much fun I had reading it. Everything else is just an additive to the book generally. Of course that is not to say that when I read a book full of depth I will naturally disregard it if it lacked as much of the enjoyment factor.

Those who are comics/graphic novel fans/who-cares-about-labelling will e
Greta is Erikasbuddy
A Letter to the Comic Book Guys

Hi there!! Me again. Just an FYI: this review will in no way sound as smart as yours. I won't remember everything or what led up to what or who everyone is, but that's ok. Right? I mean, it's cool for you to remember it all and for me just to tag along, I think. Just keep in mind that I read these for fun. And in my opinion, that's what comics are all about. But since these are graphic novels... well.... I'll be over by the punch if you need me :P

A review from a no
***Dave Hill
The Avengers ... and the Red Hulk ... and the Illuminati have to band together when the Hood tries to gather the Infinity Gems.

Bendis does good dialog, and pulls in a lot of his (and others') older concepts in an imaginative fashion. Romita's art has gotten progressively blockier over the years, but it harnesses the power of the combatants just great.

I can't say this Infinity Gem saga matches up to, say, the "Infinity Gauntlet" mini-series. This is more of a slug-fest than psychodrama, an exerci
La Revistería Comics
Segundo recopilatorio de la primera etapa de Avengewrs editada por Ovni Press. Y para los ansiosos que no puedan esperar el tomo, también lo pueden leer en los número 4 a 6 de la edición en revistas.
Arturo
After The Siege, The Heroic Age begins. To start off a new volume with Romita Jr. on art is a big negative for me. I really, really don't like Romita Jrs art, and I have to look for some way to enjoy the story. I did read that no one draws such action like he does. And that it has an old kirby-esque type of style to it. I guess that'll do.

The Hood is after the infinity gems. The illuminati is no longer a secret to the rest of the heroes. And the Red Hulk helps out.
An ok story.
I might add The
Jason
Is it just me, or is the Avengers has too many heroes now?

You have former members from other teams like the X-Men and The Fantastic Four. You have former soloists like Spider-man.

The issue isn't that the Avengers is no longer exclusive. It's that it's difficult to incorporate everyone into a storyline in a meaningful way. You basically have a lot of characters that are making an appearance on the pages, but either hardly saying/doing anything or nothing at all.

Maybe I'm the only one bothered by
M
Brian Bendis uses his main Avengers title to go back to his favorite topic - the Illuminati. In this volume, Parker (The Hood) Robbins is out to gather the Infinity Gems as a means of replacing his lost Norn Stone powers. Tusseling with the Red Hulk, the crimson behemoth brings this problem to all three Avenger squads and forces the secret cabal of the Illuminati to come clean. Despite some good character moments with the Hood, Bendis really just uses this as an excuse to add Steve Rogers to the ...more
Variaciones Enrojo
Tomo rentapado de Avengers anunciado por Ovni Press en 2013 pero inédito aún.
Robert Wright
Bendis continues to rehabilitate himself in my eyes with this second volume.

I've never been shy of criticizing his work at marvel, but this story really rocks it. Fun, epic, well-drawn and with some serious conflicts and changes for the heroes. Plus, we get a return of the Infinity Gems and (view spoiler) He even manages to make me not annoyed by Red Hulk.

Finally, it seems that this book is being written by the
Vee
The 12.1 comic will get you pumped up for The Age of Ultron. Enough said!
Megan Sanchez
I really enjoyed this volume, which centers around the Hood attempting to bring together the Infinity Gauntlet. If you're a Steve/Tony shipper, you'll love the many great scenes they have together. And the bit with Spiderman explaining to Noh-varr who Mommy and Daddy are... perfect. So perfect. All in all, a great, action-packed volume for fans of the many variations of Avengers. So many characters make their way into the story that you're bound to find something worth your time.
Daniela
I read the German translation of the comic (by Panini Comics) and I don't know if it's the translation but all of the dialogues were extremely stilted and unnatural and some didn't even make any sense in the context of the story.

The story itself had potential but I think delat with too many issues for a comic. It might have worked better either drawn out more or even as an actual novel because that gives the writer more space for character-interaction.
Daniel
Swickedawtastic.
Dru
At what point does Bendis become a parody of himself? So much talking, so much discussing, so many topics to rehash. It's pretty fucking boring, and even the interesting parts are stretched out so thinly. Art goes from solid to meh, but Romita gets a chance to catch his breath with about 20 splash pages near the end. I liked the Hitch drawn issue a bit more, but I can honestly say it wasn't better or anything.
j_ay
More over writing by Bendis, more trying to give credence to the newer (unnecessary) Marvel characters, more stellar work by Romita Jr.
But sadly Bryan Hitch somehow continues to get hired, it never ceases to amaze me with this group of “artists” who HEAVILY rely on photos (even to the degree of outright tracing them) and still have no clue as the basic rules of anatomy. Disturbing.
Angela
The Avengers go off in search of the Infinity Gauntlet that the Hood has stolen. It's slightly a nod to super hero squad, with the Avengers trying to stop people having ultimate power. A nice introduction to the Red Hulk, and some good character stuff. But after the joy of the first volume I was a bit disappointed. Still a good read, BEndis's disappointing is everyone elses good.
  • Secret Avengers Vol. 2: Eyes of the Dragon
  • Avengers Arena, Vol. 1: Kill or Die
  • Avengers vs. X-Men: Consequences
  • X-Men: Second Coming Revelations
  • Thor, Vol. 2

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

The Avengers (Volume 4) (5 books)
  • The Avengers, Volume 1
  • The Avengers, Volume 3
  • The Avengers, Volume 4
  • The Avengers, Volume 5
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers