Start by marking “Adelina's Whales” as Want to Read:
Adelina's Whales

Adelina's Whales

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  15 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Adelina is a ten-year-old girl who lives in a quiet fishing village in Baja California, Mexico. Adelina has some very special friends-the gray whales-that come every year to spend the winter months and give birth to their calves in the protected lagoon near her home.
This beautifully photographed photo-essay introduces young readers to a very special way of life, offering
Published June 23rd 2003 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Adelina's Whales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adelina's Whales

Mar 17, 2016 Sarah rated it did not like it
This book was about how a lot of grey whales come to La La Guna. Adelina is a little girl growing up at La La Guna. She love seeing and hearing about the grey whales. She thinks that the whales are coming to see her. I liked this book because it is a true story.
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 10, 2011 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: I am reading Richard Sobol's entire backlist with my son and discussing the life of a photographer/photojournalist as a career option while doing so.

Sobol offers us another book filled with gorgeous photography of gray whales, up close and personal, as here on La Laguna the whales allow people to come right up to them and pet them. We follow ten-year-old Adelina who lives in a grouping of box-like structures patched together with wood and metal on the beach. She adores her li
Catherine
A lovely photo essay about gray whales nurturing their calves in Baja California each winter. There are many real connections that can be used to expand this into Science, Social Studies, Technology, and Writing lessons. There are nice videos on you tube that feature a couple of the people who are family members in this book. My students always love this book.
Mayra
Feb 28, 2011 Mayra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Hope in my life time to visit this awsome place maybe i'll meet her well she's like 18 now :)
Adelina Esquibel
Adelina Esquibel marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Pete Pearlman
Pete Pearlman marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
William Kreuzer
William Kreuzer marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Kionah
Kionah added it
Mar 03, 2016
CeAnne
CeAnne rated it did not like it
Feb 09, 2016
Shams
Shams marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Tyler Nicholson
Tyler Nicholson marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
I Wanna
I Wanna marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Kylie
Kylie added it
Dec 09, 2015
Dave
Dave is currently reading it
Dec 02, 2015
Mohammed Badawy
Mohammed Badawy is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2015
Jenni Frencham
Jenni Frencham rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Catie
Catie marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Stacy Packard
Stacy Packard marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Aarush
Aarush added it
Mar 31, 2015
ABC REMIX
ABC REMIX marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Cathy Outten
Cathy Outten rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Kylee
Kylee added it
Jan 15, 2015
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Stephanie Oldaker
Stephanie Oldaker marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Aziz
Aziz added it
Dec 02, 2014
Adriana Talavera
Adriana Talavera marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Michelle Chaparro
Michelle Chaparro marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Hannah
Hannah added it
Apr 29, 2014
Richard Sobol, an author and award-winning photographer, is the creator of the Traveling Photographer series of children’s books. When not traveling, he is home in Massachusetts with his family.
"Though my fashion choices usually center around denim, I was intrigued by the process of silk-making. I was fascinated when I learned that some of the world’s most expensive clothing comes from a worm!" —
More about Richard Sobol...