Start by marking “Number Ten” as Want to Read:
Number Ten

Sue Townsend

Number Ten

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  1,116 ratings  ·  102 reviews
Der Premier hat keine Lust mehr? Edward Clare, der Premier von Großbritannien, will nicht mehr. Er verlässt Number 10 inkognito durch die Hintertür und begibt sich auf eine Reise durch sein Land. Dass er dabei überraschende Erkenntnisse macht und aus dem Staunen über das reale Leben auf der Insel nicht mehr herauskommt, versteht sich von selbst.
Eine bissig-böse Satire!
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Number Ten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Number Ten

Helen
I was sadly disappointed with this and didn't even finish it. Fortunately it was a freebie, a neighbour was moving and put a pile of books out for people to help themselves. :)

I loved the Adrian Mole series, or at least the earlier ones. I have to admit that I didn't read the later ones where Adrian has grown up. I also rather liked The Queen and I. But this novel didn't really seem to know what it was trying to say. Britain in 2003 wasn't such an awful place, not as far as I can remember, yet S
Jane Hornsby
I read this book quite a while ago but I found it very funny at the time and I found that she touched very close to describing certain politicians of the time. I could picture exactly who she was talking about and it was so true especially as she managed to rip off their characters and make them look so comical. Very well executed...
Caela Harrison
May 21, 2008 Caela Harrison rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: recyclers and gerbil owners
Recommended to Caela by: Lowri
What a load of old toss.

Townsend upset me on page two, when she revealed her dire knowledge of a city she was setting part of a story in. I'm quite baffled as to why she bothered to write this book - I can't even be bothered writing a review, it was that awful.

I persevered for loyalty to my sister, who believes that Townsend is the best thing since Roger Hargreaves. I love my sister a lot, but she has bad bad judgement. (She fancies Jack in EastEnders, that should've given me a wee clue.)

Unbelie
T4bsF (Call me Flo)
Number 10: a novel
This book is so funny - obviously based on a Prime Minister from our very close past. He decided to go around to meet 'his people' incognito - in drag. Hilarious. Sue Townsend is an excellent story teller
Ensiform
Just as she did with royalty in The Queen and I (which I only vaguely remember), Townsend now turns her satiric pen to the Prime Minister. Edward Clare, obviously meant to represent Tony Blair, is a well-intentioned but ineffective PM, accused by his critics of having no particular politics and far removed from the average British citizen. So he goes on a week’s adventure: dressed in his wife’s clothes, accompanied by PC Jack Sprat, he goes on a road trip and is introduced to the joys of public ...more
Glimmerfee
Edward Clare ist der Premierminister von Großbritannien. Verheiratet mit der intelligentesten Frau des Landes und Vater von drei Kindern, macht er sich viele Gedanken über die politischen Zustände in Afrika. Leider hat er überhaupt keine Ahnung was seine Bürger bewegt oder wie sie leben, seine Ratgeber sind ja in einer ähnlich privilegierten Stellung wie er selber. Als Edward sich auf einer Pressekonferenz lächerlich macht, beschließt er eine Woche abzutauchen und durch England zu reisen. Er bed ...more
Dark-Draco
I ended up being a bit disappointed with this - I missed the humour from 'The Queen and I' and found the charcters a bit too one-dimensional. I don't...more I ended up being a bit disappointed with this - I missed the humour from 'The Queen and I' and found the charcters a bit too one-dimensional. I don't really understand why Edward chooses the disguise he did and, conversely, why that didn't lead to a lot more humour. The blurb about the book states that the Prime Minister finds out about life ...more
Caitlin
With the recent passing of Sue Townsend, I thought it would be nice to pull this out of the long-term "to read" pile - as it's been years since I've read any of the Adrian Moles and other works of hers.

I liked parts of this book and read it fairly quickly - being outside the UK I could still follow along the satire and recognise some of the characters that were a little too familiar to real UK public figures - however for this reason the book did feel a little bit dated. (Although it was nice to
Ewa
Po raz kolejny muszę chwilę pomarudzić nad tym, że nie ma tu możliwości zaznaczania tylko części gwiazdek, tak, aby ocena wynosiła dwa i pół albo dwa i trzy czwarte. Rozpiętość między „była w porządku” a „podobała mi się”, w momencie, kiedy jedno oznacza dwa na pięć, a drugie trzy na pięć, w przypadku książek jest ogromna.

Nie wspominając już o problemie z wystawianiem oceny czemukolwiek, wynikającym z mojej natury.
Koniec z marudzeniem, przejdźmy do rzeczy. Sue Townsend jest znana przede wszystki
Nirnaya
The British Prime Minister has lost all touch with the problems of the common man and everyday life in the UK. He decides to go on a trip around the country with a Number 10 PC, Jack Sprat. To keep his identity a secret, Ed Clare dresses up as a woman (Edwina) and finds himself witness to the hardships of people in the simpler rungs of society.
This seemed like a story line of incredible promise, with many opportunities to deliver a hilarious account of how a politician warms up to his citizens'
Deborah
Love this book. The bare premise - the prime minister disguised as a woman travelling the country incognito - is funny in itself, and although the things he learns along the way form a hard-hitting social commentary, there's humour along with the tragedy.

It combines the points she makes in her royal family books, with the betrayal of socialism by Blair as articulated by Adrian Mole. So in that sense what she's saying here isn't particularly new. But the Prime Minister is a hugely entertaining ch
Deb Sharp
This has to be one of the best books I have read in ages, I laughed so much my sides hurt! OMG! I just read the other reviesw for this book and it seems not many liked it? I guess some people just do not hav a sense of humor!
Jamie
Number Ten Sue Townsend

2 stars

I was a little disappointed in this. I'd never heard of it until the author's recent death and it being mentioned in various obituaries.

I loved the Adrian Mole series and The Queen and I is very funny - I was expecting this to be in the same vein, which in some ways it is, but The Queen and I takes an impossible situation and makes it amusing - this is poking a little too much fun at things that some people are being ruined by.

This was written quite some time befo
Elaine
In The Queen and I, author Sue Townsend brilliantly satirized the Royal Family. In NUMBER 10, it's the Prime Minister's turn. After Prime Minister Edward Clare gets caught lying to Parliament, thus showing how out of touch he is with the struggles of ordinary citizens, his advisors send him (incognito) off to tour the country. The public(and Adele, Edwards neurotic and bi polar wife) is informed that Mr. Clare is in an underground bunker and no one is allowed to contact him. Accompanying the PM ...more
Fiona
An amusing tale of a new labour prime minister who goes undercover as a woman to get in touch with his people.
True to life and politically correct ;)
Trelawn
An easy, funny read. The usual Sue Townsend blend of genius and madness. The Prime Minister needs a break, he's feeling stressed and out of touch with his people. So with his copper, Jack Sprat, in toe the PM decides to find out what the people really think by touring Britain .... in drag. Some very funny episodes ensue and there are lots of incredible characters like Ali the cabbie and Jack's mum Norma. The parodies of politicans like Tony Blair and John Prescott are brilliant but the book work ...more
Cat.
I love Sue Townsend. Part of that is because I read the original Adrian Mole books when I was just old enough to understand the satire in them. Part of it is because she lives and writes about the city in which my sister's family lives. I recognize the scenery. I think she is underappreciated as a satirist, and a writer in general. I loved The Queen and I as well.

On top of that rave, the reader of this edition is Barbara Rosenblatt, whom I also love because she reads Elizabeth Peters' books so
David
I don't know what kind of sickness I have that drives me to finish books that I'm not enjoying when there are so many better things to read, but whatever it is made me slog on to the end of this.

I read a number of Townsend's "Adrian Mole" books decades ago and loved them, so when I saw this in a second hand shop, I snatched it up. Based on some of the other Goodreads reviews, it sounds like I'm not the only fan from the Adrian Mole years that was disappointed in this.

There's a potentially good s
Amanda Bolderston
I doubt Sue Townsend has written a book that isn't funny, but this one cuts a bit close to the bone. A scathing look at "New Labour" and Britain lurching from one crisis to the next at the turn of the century. The NHS, immigration, poverty and unemployment - no modern woe is left unexamined as Edward Clare, the Prime Minister, embarks on an incognito tour to meet his constituents. Very broad satire, sometimes she misses the mark, but worth a read if you are a fan of Adrian Mole and/or Leicester- ...more
Anjali Gupta
I am actually extremely upset that I picked this one to reacquaint myself with some of the British authors. Often known as one of the worlds favourite comic writers... And after her death earlier this year, I was curious to go through her work. This one, neither charmed me, nor made me laugh. Not sure what made her write this... Or why. I would avoid if I could
Caitlin Stewart
Ummm. No. I got up to the part after the prime minister has been dressed in drag to leave Number 10 unseen and see Britain from the eyes of a working class person, where Policeman Jack Sprat is described as having "equipped himself with a map of the female genitalia and explored it until he could find his way around blindfold [sic]", and I lost all hope.
Neil Kohler
This was the first book by the author that I have read. It was mildly funny in places, and sometimes it touched briefly upon political issues from a new perspective. However, I found myself thinking often "What is the point of this book?" It was neither very funny or very perceptive. I'll have forgotten about it in a few days - perhaps hours. Perhaps the Adrian Mole series was better. I doubt I'll bother to find out.
Saphirablue
Brownie
Aug 19, 2007 Brownie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any avid reader
I love Sue Townsend's humorous accounts of the pimply Adrian Mole in her diary series and knew I wouldn't pass up the chance to read Number 10- a novel, when it came out. Being a big fan of the Brits capacity for dry wit and humour, I wasn't disappointed because this is Brit humour at one of its best.

Number 10 is a sort of satirical look at the politicians and thier relationship (or the lack of it) with the general public, sensationalized headlines, social neglect along with its stereotyped ima
Inga
Dem fiktiven Premierminister Edward Clare wird vorgeworfen vom alltäglichen Leben der Briten keine Ahnung mehr zu haben. So verkleidet er sich (mit großer persönlicher Freude) als Edwina und macht sich mit dem Polizisten Jack Sprat auf eine Reise durch Armuts-, Drogen- und Rentnermilieu und entdeckt nebenbei seine eigenen familiären Wurzeln und sich selbst wieder. Neue Energie für den Job findet er allerdings nicht...
Man beobachtet die Briten mit Edwina eher mit den Augen des staunenden Kindes a
Leonie
Not really sure what to make of this one, some aspects of it I certainly enjoyed where in others I felt let down. I felt not enough was said about what effect Edwards early life had on him yet felt the author had included it because it was supposed to be important but the why was never quite clear. Some of it was very funny and I enjoyed the sub stories of Norma's house guests and Adele's madness but something about this story just felt incomplete and some parts just plain ridiculous especially ...more
Ceceliaemma
I wasn't expecting much out of this book but it was so funny and despite being published some time ago , it's very relevant right now following the (results of) uk's general election! A spot on satire!
Carla
I was really enjoying this book, but sadly the ending was flat. Sue Townsend is favourite of mine, and this book was a thought provoking read, but the ending just sadly left a lot to be desired.
Momo Fliez
Brilliant, just like all her books. Laugh out loud funny, an easy and light read, but thought-provoking in all the right places.
Goodreads Librari...: Missing page count - Number 10 2 14 Sep 02, 2012 10:47AM
  • The Trolley
  • Sang Pencerah
  • Corruption
  • Blakanis
  • Silang Hati
  • Men From The Boys (Harry Silver, #3)
  • Cartoon Guide to the Environment
  • Rindu
  • Don't Even Think About It
  • Rahasia Selma: Kumpulan Cerita
  • The Road to the Empire: Kisah Takudar Khan, Pangeran Muslim Pewaris Mongol
  • Don't You Know Who I Am?
  • Jerusalem: Kesucian, Konflik, dan Pengadilan Akhir
  • Gin O'Clock

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend was a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She has suffered from diabetes for many years,
More about Sue Townsend...
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1) The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2) Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5) The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)