Start by marking “In the Face of Evil: Based on the Life of Dina Frydman Balbien” as Want to Read:
In the Face of Evil: Based on the Life of Dina Frydman Balbien
Read Book

In the Face of Evil: Based on the Life of Dina Frydman Balbien

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Ten-year-old Dina Frydman lives a comfortable middle class life with her family in Radom, Poland in the summer of 1939, just weeks before the Nazi invasion. The love of family and friends offer no protection against the menace of the Nazi regime that begins to siphon off the worldly and spiritual goods of Radom's Jews. We witness Dina's battle to survive and understand the ...more
Published December 2nd 2010 by FriesenPress (first published January 2010)

To ask other readers questions about In the Face of Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Face of Evil

Night by Elie WieselThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Orphans of Dachau by Anthony HulseMan's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. FranklThe Camp by Greg Hair
Best Holocaust Literature
16th out of 45 books — 77 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank1984 by George OrwellBury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownNight by Elie WieselBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
My Country, the Enemy
192nd out of 257 books — 249 voters

More lists with this book...

Lilo
May 31, 2013 Lilo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who wants to avoid that this horrific part of history will repeat itself
Recommended to Lilo by: I found it on Goodreads.
Having seen the Holocaust TV-series, I had thought I was well informed about the Holocaust. "In the Face of Evil" taught me differently. It showed the horrific reality of the Holocaust which was worse than can possibly be shown on television.

The book is well written, and one feels, fears, and hopes with Dina, worries about her family, relatives and friends and, eventually, has to mourn most of them.

I rarely cry when reading a book or seeing a movie, yet this book had me in tears. And even thoug
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
Thanks to goodreads for their first reads book giveaway where I was one of the lucky ones to be chosen as a winner of this book. Admittedly I haven't read a whole lot about the Holocaust, so you can imagine the impact that this book had on me. I couldn't tell you how many times I cried while reading this. My throat actually hurts from holding in my sobs. I will never forget this womans story.

Dina was just a child when the war broke out. First the nazis took all businesses owned by Jewish residen
Kaira Rouda
I was completely absorbed in this detailed, vivid account of survival and ultimate redemption in the face of pure evil. Dina's story, as told by her daughter, grabbed me from the beginning and had me turning pages long into the night.
We've read Holocaust survivor tales before - I hope. But this is a testament to a young girl's tenactiy, to the ultimate humanity found in the mundane, to luck, to timing and to the incomprehensible evil details of profound, unexplainable hatred.
I'm sure once you re
Vicki
A fascinating book. How can one say the "enjoyed" reading a memoir of life as a European Jew under Nazi rule? It's not the correct word to use when reading about the concentration camps, the death camps, the loss of friends and family. This book was difficult to read, and very difficult to put down. It is important that people read these books, even though they may be discomforting, and remember what happened all over Europe. The strength it took for Dina to survive is beyond comprehension. I wi ...more
Under Milkwood
It makes me uncomfortable to say that I really liked this book but the four stars really denote my utter admiration for Dina Frydman and her vivid remembrance of her early life 'in the face of evil'.
The atrocities of the Holocaust are never easy to digest, but it is so important for these factual accounts to be conveyed to the world. Dina's daughter Tema has written the book from the perspective of a thirteen year old Jewish girl (Dina) in Poland in the summer of 1939. At first it begins almost
Erin
What an inspiring story! Like other accounts of the horror of the Holocaust, Dina Frydman Balbien shares her life while showing strength and courage that not many possess. Her story is told by her daughter, lending a closeness that would have been lost if Dina had recounted her story to a different writer. Although there are grammatical mistakes throughout the book, it is easy to pass over them because of the sheer readability of the text. The details in the story are incredibly vivid, allowing ...more
Mike  Davis
This is a terrible book - terrible in its naked account of one of the survivors of German death camps. The author is daughter of the survivor and writes in the first person of her mother in her early teens, reliving her release from Bergen-Belsen and Auschwitz following Nazi occupation of Poland. I have not read "The Diary of Anne Frank" but I cannot imagine much worse. Through a remarkable series of good fortune and help from others, Ms. Balbien chronicles her trip through hell and subsequent i ...more
Peggy
A detailed story of a survivor that deserves to be read and that we should never forget how horrific the holocaust was and the effect it had on the ones who made it through.

It can be a reminder to all of us of how precious life is and how blessed we are to feel safe in a world of war & religion.
Marie
This book sounded interesting to me so I decided to enter the first-reads giveaway and to my surprise I am a winner on Christmas Day! Although some of the subject matter was difficult to read, it is an amazing tale of someone overcoming evil at a young age. Highly recommend this book!
Pat
It took me awhile to get to this book, but after reading it I wish I had gotten to it sooner. I'm always amazed to read about people's will to survive. I've read a lot on the holocaust and have found the will to live, to surpass anything in life. Thanks for sharing your incredible story.
Elizabeth
This biography is a well written story of a Holocaust survivor. The book included interesting details of Dina's family and religious life. The book was written by Dina's daughter. It is a valuable addition to Holocaust biographies.
Celeste Kautz
A devastating eye witness account, this book is an important addition to the records of a terrible atrocity that must never be forgotten. I will never forget this book.
Starla B
I can't say I "enjoyed" reading it...but it was fascinating and heartbreaking, and I couldn't put it down.
Newhamshter
Hard to believe that it's true.
Patrick Lee
Nov 13, 2013 Patrick Lee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Literally everyone.
Recommended to Patrick by: No one. I simply saw it here.
In a way I feel inadequate to the task of speaking highly enough about In The Face of Evil.

Memoirs and novels concerning acts of unheard of courage, faith, resilience, and self-sacrifice during the world’s darkest days—those between September, 1939 through August, 1945—abound. The magnitude of these virtues was matched by acts of capricious cruelty, madness, and self-absorption. Nowhere, however, were these virtues more tested than in Europe’s Jewish communities. I would venture to say that very
Rb
Jan 28, 2014 Rb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This was one of the best books I have ever read. The author set the mood of the novel very well. In The Face of Evil really helped me to gain insight into what life was like as a Jew during the Holocaust (although the only ones who can fully understand what it was like is the survivors). I found the book especially interesting because my family was also from Radom and had very similar experiences to Dina. I would recommend this book to everyone!
Jill Mccallum
I thought the writing was a bit clunky throughout this novel, however, I was able to see past this and become involved in the actual story. Like "Night", this is often very painful to read, but so important to understand. It reminded me of how much I have to be grateful for in my life.
Leslie Mccarthy cook
I loved this book, it is beautifully written and Dina is very inspiring. From the very beginning you love each one of her family members and it is difficult to read what happened to them throughout the war. When you finish the book you are truly inspired by her story.
David Foster
A great, first hand account of what life became in Germany during the prewar years. Reading this gives incite into how a German citizen became caught up in the Nazi agenda.
Sandi Houghton
Both hard to put down and hard to read. Almost too emotional at times
Kitty
Feb 06, 2013 Kitty marked it as to-read
Z
Sherry Lopez
Sherry Lopez marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Julia Borland
Julia Borland marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
  • Farewell to Prague
  • I Am a Star: Child of the Holocaust
  • Hiding in the Spotlight: A Musical Prodigy's Story of Survival, 1941-1946
  • From the Ashes of Sobibor: A Story of Survival
  • The Mezuzah in the Madonna's Foot: Marranos and Other Secret Jews--A Woman Discovers Her Spiritual Heritage
  • Lovely Green Eyes
  • A Beautiful Cage
  • Holocaust
  • The Modern Jewish Girl's Guide to Guilt
  • The Locket
  • The Last Train: A Holocaust Story
  • My Name Was Five:  A Novel of the Second World War
  • Out of the Depths: The Story of a Child of Buchenwald Who Returned Home at Last
  • The Forger: An Extraordinary Story of Survival in Wartime Berlin
Tema Merback is a first time author, and a former Kathryn McBride Scholar at Bryn Mawr College. Her first novel In the Face of Evil has just been selected as a finalist of the 2011 National Jewish Book Award. She lives in Malibu, California with her husband and two children.
More about Tema N. Merback...