Start by marking “A Promising Man (and About Time, Too)” as Want to Read:

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  5,905 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
From the fire-hot author of "Asking for Trouble "comes a second irresistibly funny and romantic novel, in which we meet the delightfully wicked Harriet and John, who are matched as perfectly as scones and clotted cream -- if only Harriet would let herself indulge.

Up to her eyeballs in her friends' dramas, Harriet Grey has no time for her own, let alone getting entangled wi
Published November 22nd 2011 by Avon (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Promising Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Promising Man

Christa
Jun 13, 2008 Christa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksfree-com
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book about Harriet Grey, a single woman from London. Harriet meets an interesting man, John Mackenzie, only minutes after she has seen him with Nina, an old schoolmate who never treated Harriet well. Harriet is immediatately taken with John, but is worried that he is involved with Nina, and she is afraid to ask. John is interested in Harriet, but doesn't understand why she seems to run from hot to cold towards him. I liked the characters in this book, which incl ...more
Lisa
Jan 03, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a while to read this one. The thick slang and the slow beginning (and the fact that I was only reading it before bed) made me read it very slowly, but I'm glad I did. The ending was amazingly suspenseful and very sweet. Definitely worth the trouble.
Ryann Murphy
Apr 07, 2008 Ryann Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Young is my new favorite author and my mission is to devour the rest of her titles right quick. Harriet lives with new mom Sally and best guy-friend Jacko and runs into hunky John while avoiding her high school arch-nemisis, Nina, aka The White Witch of Narnia, who John just happens to be dating. Could it get more complicated? Of course, but that's the fun! Funny, light-hearted and just enough plausible misunderstandings to make it real - this British novel was well worth the read.
Andrina
Apr 09, 2012 Andrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed very much reading this romantic comedy about Harriet a 29 year old who lives in London. This story was very easy to read and made you not want to put the book down. I mostly enjoyed it for two reasons. First because Harriet the main character and the narrator. Another reason is because the book does not only talk about the same thing over and over. The story has many things happening at once. With Harriet which was m favorite character made it more of an exciting story to read.

Harriet
Brittany
Jan 30, 2008 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awe, really good. I had a hard time getting into it at first because the Brit-lish was a bit over my head, but once I got a hang of it I loved it!! I also liked how it wasn't like all other chick-lit going on about designer this and expensive whatever that.
Deranged Dreamer
Mar 02, 2015 Deranged Dreamer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like the beginning very much. Too many British slangs made it difficult to follow. Who speaks like that?
But they seemed to disappear as the book went on.
And I was surprised with the plot twist.
Jennie
Mar 29, 2008 Jennie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book- but it was kind of slow. I found myself skipping ahead sometimes. The ending was cute- very happy!
Evey
Pretty average chick-lik story, with some mildly interesting moments but, overall, nothing out of ordinary.
Shana Tehrani
Jun 14, 2017 Shana Tehrani rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
would give it no stars, is possible to save that way--couldn't finish this; just not engaging with the characters and story
Elusive Controversé
In ‘A Promising Man’, Harriet instantly falls for John when they first meet but a series of misunderstandings hinders them from being together. This mainly stems from her belief that John is dating Nina, a gorgeous girl she used to go to school with and the one who has always been patronizing towards her.

In the meantime, Harriet is caught in the middle of everyone else’s dramas – her best friend Sally is a jobless single mother, Jacko is recovering from an accident, Jacko’s sister Tara has run
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Y’all, I love British romantic comedies so much. Fair Game by Liz Young just reminded me why. (It is known as A Promising Man (And About Time, Too) in America.) The characters are hilarious and cranky. The settings are always a nice break from big cities in the USA. The writing a little less contained. They definitely make me happy.

Harriet Grey is a little tired of drama. After all – she lives with it daily. Her best friend, Sally, is also a new mom. She adores the baby, but she is a little over
Michelle
Jun 23, 2007 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently reading A Promising Man (and About Time, Too) by Elizabeth Youung

Elizabeth Young
Contempory Romance
405 pages

From the fire-hot author of Asking for Trouble comes a second irresistibly funny and romantic novel, in which we meet the delightfully wicked Harriet and John, who are matched as perfectly as scones and clotted cream -- if only Harriet would let herself indulge.

Up to her eyeballs in her friends' dramas, Harriet Grey has no time for her ow
Mary Pessaran
I'm so bummed. I just wrote an involved review of this book, and then didn't hit the "save" button. I guess it figures. I spent a lot of time in this book being frustrated with the main character, Harriet, who could have saved herself a lot of pain if she'd just told the truth. But then, there wouldn't have been a story. I will say that will all my frustration, the end was good and I am now in the process of rereading section and enjoying them more because I understand why the events happened. I ...more
Patti K
Sep 23, 2010 Patti K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By the end of this book, I did enjoy it. However, it was tough for me to get into it - there was an overwhelming amount of British slang. It probably doesn't seem anything other than conversationally casual writing to a native Briton (or maybe even only a Londoner), but to this American, it was nearly like reading a foreign language. It took me a while to get into the rhythm of the language - once the vernacular became more like my own, it wasn't so bad - but once I was there, it went fast. I di ...more
Kay
Well, this is my first Elizabeth Young novel and I'm not sure if I will continue reading more. There were several moments of witty banter but I never fully connected with Harriet or Jon. In some ways, I felt like the book evolved more around the secondary characters (and there were a lot!) than the main ones.

2.5 Stars

*sigh*
Please, someone who reads this review, recommend me some British Chick Lits similar to Sarra Manning, Paige Toon or Gemma Burgess. I've already tried L. Kelk, J. Colgan, L.A
Anne Claire
Apr 19, 2010 Anne Claire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick, lit
Existe-t-il pire situation que de tomber amoureuse du petit copain de votre meilleure amie ? Oui, flasher sur celui de votre ennemie attitr��e ! Un sc��nario catastrophe auquel Harriet, gar��on manqu�� �� l'humour ravageur, va malheureusement devoir se frotter, la miss n'ayant rien trouv�� de mieux que de fondre litt��ralement pour le beau et s��duisant John.
Un authentique id��al masculin aper��u, peu de temps auparavant, main dans la main avec cette sacr��e Nina, ex-camarade de classe arrogante
Lisa
Jan 22, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great - my problem with the previous Young book I'd read (Asking for Trouble/The Wedding Date) was that the protagonist was too harsh and the love-interest too perfect - this book found the proper balance. I was a little put off when I read the same thought from the protagonist as in Asking for Trouble (wondering if Darcy had had dalliances before Elizabeth). I think repeating concepts is okay, but this was worded almost indentically. That would've changed the rating, I think - it ...more
Loraine
May 08, 2011 Loraine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, chick-lit
Super fast easy read, perfect as a holiday novel. Some parts were fairly predictable to me but then some parts I thought I had it all figured out and then a cool little twist would appear. It was laugh out loud funny in places and it was refreshing for the characters to be 'ordinary' people rather that high flying socialites in hard hitting careers. It has an almost Bridget Jones feel about it. It isn't bogged down with over described detail which keeps the story moving on well. The chapters are ...more
Olly
Aug 25, 2010 Olly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovable story with lovable characters.
Harriet's live so full with her friends who live under the same roof with her. No time for another story. Love story? Blokes? Yuck!
Sally, single mother for baby Tom, make Harriet feeling like mother too. Jacko with his sister, Tara, who became a nuisance for Harriet. Helen, widow, divorce with teenager children, unstable emotion. Rossie who can not keep her mouth shut, Suzanne, who in the side of Nine, a long live enemy for Harriet, who always make her like
Valerie
Dec 22, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much! I love the quirkiness of British slang and culture and I did not find this book hard to follow at all. It is not your stereotypical "chick lit," in my opinion, as it was actually a story about a woman and her friends and their lives. It seems that so many "chick lit" books are about women and their socail lives. Or maybe a lot of them just aren't very well written. I think I've read a couple other of Elizabeth Young novels and they're okay but this one is my favori ...more
Beverly Hazell
Jul 31, 2014 Beverly Hazell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
My best friend and I discovered this when we were just entering high school. Having never gone to school together, we started to hand this book back and forth throughout the years to connect each other and our love for romantic comedy type books. As we got older and went away to college our love for this book did not falter. She went away to the east coast and I went to a college on the west. We still maintain our love for this little book and all it has brought us. Better than Bridget Jones and ...more
Kathryn
Nov 23, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of romantic comedy
A funny and sweet story. The main focus of the story is of Harriet and the start of her romance with John, who also happens to be going out with Nina an old schoolmate of Harriet's. Harriet feels a bit guilty about making moves on someone else's man, but she also can't stop herself from falling for John big time.
We also meet some of Harriet's friends who provide interesting and funny side stories.

I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a light-hearted romantic story.
Nancy
May 02, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy divertido, pero si bien a veces me quejo de que a los libros les falta un poco de historias secundarias, a este le sobraban. Tenia que beberme las odiseas de todos los secundarios antes de saber que pasaba con la parejita protagonista cuando precisamente me moria por leer mas de ellos. Un par de sorpresas (cai redonda en la trampa), mucha risa, algunos suspiros... bien para pasar el rato (no precisamente un rato muy corto)
Kisha
This book has some really wonderful humor in it. I laughed out loud, and at one point even yelled at the main character trying to urge her on (Go for that snog, if you know what I mean!) The humor reminds me a little bit of my favorite TV show--The Gilmore Girls.

The dialogue (internal and external) was a little difficult to follow at times. It is not really a book to be skimmed, because it is hard to follow. I did read it all in one day though...so I guess that didn't hold me back any.
Pamela
Jan 28, 2012 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, predictable, but engaging British chick-lit recommended by the lovely Lauren Willig. I don't know what it is about British chick-lit that makes it so much more palatable than its American counterparts. Despite the frilly knickers on the book's cover, Elizabeth Young (and her heroine) is surprisingly literary and smart, with off-hand references to Jane Austen and sundry mixed in with all the Brit slang. I thought this was loads of fun (if not quite suitable for Public Reading).
Mansi
May 09, 2015 Mansi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i dnt knw for whom i was happier more sally or harry,i mean i jus knew frm intro of characters ,jacko n sally r a thing,n oo my my john,ssly perfect guy.n i love the fact protogonist r more practical .lyk nobody is missing work or is damn rich frm birth. apart frm lunatic flight to prague ,everything was jus normal.loved the quirkiness n all mind thinking of harriet ,jus relatable.beautiful read !!!!!!
Dibi
Sep 09, 2013 Dibi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it. It was funny, sweet, cute.. and obviously with a little of confused drama, just like we are.
Honestly, my favorite character was Jacko, it was really funny reading him. I just wanted hearing him saying all kind of sexy comments. He really made my day.
I was like..

Is a good story if you wanna be disconnected for a while.
Leticia
One of the first chick lit books I have read and liked. Even if it's refreshing to read about aheroine who is not stupid and a wimp, however, I saw a couple of flaws: the whole Tara business for instance snd how she and John were so deeply involved with it sounded far fetched to say the least. And it dragged on forever, didn't it?
Jules
Feb 12, 2013 Jules rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the opening scene where Harriet first mets John outside a shop window, the voice of the heroine is completely captivating. The internal dialogue is sharp and funny ... I can't recommend this book too highly. Another one I've read countless times. In fact I've bought it three times because I keep lending it to people and losing it.
Crystal
Oct 09, 2008 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did like this book. I was a little frustrated that it took so long for the couple to become a couple, but all in all I really enjoyed the book. I did get a little confused with the descriptions and who was speaking when but the humor was very smart, Dry humor, which is what english humor is. I do recommend this book but I do have to warn you there is some language.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add kindle edition of "A Promising Man... 2 10 Jul 03, 2013 12:21AM
  • Just Friends
  • Love: A User's Guide
  • Fourplay
  • True Love (and Other Lies)
  • Lost & Found
  • On The Verge
  • With or Without You
  • The Next Big Thing
  • Accidental It Girl
  • 32AA
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • Playing James
  • Seeing Me Naked
  • Thirtynothing
  • As Seen on TV
  • Love You to Death
  • It's About Your Husband
Librarian note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.
Elizabeth Young started writing after holding a variety of jobs that included modeling for TV commercials in Cyprus and working for the Sultan's Armed Forces in Oman. She has two daughters and lives in Surrey with her husband who never once told her to forget writing and get a "proper" job.
More about Elizabeth Young...