Start by marking “A Streetcar Named Expire (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #16)” as Want to Read:
A Streetcar Named Expire (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #16)

A Streetcar Named Expire (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #16)

For Sale: Luxury Condos, Corpse Included

Just a stone's throw from Judith McMonigle Flynn's thriving Hillside Manor, workmen are busy renovating the elegantly decrepit Alhambra Arms into pricey condominiums. But concerned contractor George Guthrie fears that well-heeled potential buyers may blanch when they learn about the four-decades-dead body that was stashed behind the
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Streetcar Named Expire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Streetcar Named Expire

Julie
Sep 19, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Streetcar named Expire by Mary Daheim ( Bed and Breakfast 16) is a 2001 Avon Publication.

I am far more familiar with Mary Daheim's Emma Lord series, but I have checked in with the Judith Flynn from time to time.

I came across this one while browsing through my Overdrive account and was reminded of how long it had been since I had read anything from this series and how very far behind in it I am. This one was published way back in 2001 if that tells you anything.

Judith and her cousin Renie ar
The Badger
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list; rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder).

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist, painted five-foot tall green flowers on the side of the freshly painted rental when she was four; the adventurous daughter asked which way north was, and was found by ne
Chazzi
Feb 04, 2016 Chazzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
When Judith McMonigle Flynn agreed to go with her sister on the maiden run of the Toujours La Tour guided tour of her hometown, she didn't expect her B&B to be the first stop. After listening to the guide go on about murder and mayhem having occured there, discovering the corpse of an exorcist at the second stop really got things off to a roar.

A dead exorcist, a found treasure and another dead body found in the walls of the 100 year old Alhambra Arms, which is currently under renovation, loo
Allan Krummenacker
I love these Bed and Breakfast mysteries, the two leads are a hoot and half with how they interact. And the variety of people they encounter can be so bizarre yet realistic at the same time. We all meet interesting characters in our daily lives, but we just don't always find out more about that them.

In this one, our protagonists Judith and Renie wind up working on 2 mysterious deaths. One from 40 years ago and one that they stumbled upon while on a tour. It's intriguing to see how the author in
Pam
Sep 23, 2007 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TITLE/AUTHOR: A STREETCAR NAMED EXPIRE by Mary Daheim
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 2001, 296 pgs
TIME/PLACE: 1990's, Washington
CHARACTERS: Judith Flynn/B&B owner; Renie Jones/cousin -- graphic designer
COMMENTS: Another humorous entry in the B&B series. The Alhambra Arms is being renovated -- converting apts to condos. During the rehab a body is discovered between walls, treasure buried in the floor and the exorcist for the bad kharma is found shot on site. Judith's husba
Susan
Judith Flynn takes a mystery tour of her hometown, and is shocked when her bed-and-breakfast inn is one of the attractions. Determined to demand that the tour operator apologize, she gets off at the next stop--an apartment building, now being converted to condos, in which a murder took place--and finds another victim. Her husband Joe is hired to investigate the new murder, but Judith concentrates on the fifty-year-old case, interviewing people who lived in the apartments then, and people who rem ...more
VJ
Apr 01, 2013 VJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
First there were five rooms in the B&B. Then, there were six. Now there are eight? Really? What did they do? Chop two more rooms up? Editing is a lost art.

The storyline was okay. Not all the clues to figure it out yourself. This book sets up nicely for the next in the series, which actually is the first book I read by Mart Daheim. I then decided I better start from the beginning of the series to make heads or tails of the characters. It definitely helps to read these books in order!
Kirsten *I support diversity in my reading and my world!"
This is the best entry in this series so far. I really enjoyed the mystery in this one. It was very nuanced and had depth. As well as the history of all the interconnected characters from the WWII era Alhambra apartments.

It still had all the ingredients I had come to love in this series. The humor and the quirky characters, but the addition of a cracker jack mystery really brought it over the top.
Diane Falvey
Mar 01, 2013 Diane Falvey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On a murder mystery tour That Judith didn't even want to participate in,the girls come across a dead body in an underconstruction condo block. Joe , working as a PI, is investigating and Judith believes that some stolen jewels are related to the murder. Joe "lets" Judith investigate the jewel theft thinking it will keep her out of his investigation. Well, we know who actually solves the crime don't we?
Mary  (Biblophile)
Another enjoyable Judith McMonigle Flynn cozy mystery. It's a wonder that Judy manages to run her bed and breakfast what with always getting involved in murder. Her cousin Renie's graphic business must suffer, too, as she's usually dragged along. Good plot and character development, although I think this one went on a little longer than necessary.
Jeanne Quigley
Feb 09, 2014 Jeanne Quigley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this cozy very much. The plot was clever, weaving a past murder with a current one and involving interesting characters. The ending was very funny, echoing the end of the action movie Renie references at one point. And there's an ostrich!
Mel
May 24, 2010 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
One of the more entertaining Bed and Breakfast mysteries. All kinds of twists and turns in the plot. This series gets better with each book. And, ya gotta love how Judith and Serena work together.
Sallie
Feb 28, 2011 Sallie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I'm on a roll in reading these mysteries. I'm hooked I guess, or addicted, your choice - but I am now into the next book.
Verity W
Never try and start a series 16 books in. Even if I didn't realise that was what I was doing when I bought it for 25p from the charity shop.
Sarah Jowett
I couldn't get into it, too much back stuff to catch up on from previous books and the conversations are hard to follow.
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2011
Jaclyn Gale
Jaclyn Gale rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2009
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2007
Marsha
Marsha rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2015
Michelle Mueller
Michelle Mueller rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Elliedakota
Elliedakota rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Jean Ploskonka
Jean Ploskonka rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Mmk
Mmk rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2008
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2014
Heather Icenogle
Heather Icenogle rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2011
Audrey
Audrey rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2011
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2010
Janelle
Janelle rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2013
  • Truffled Feathers (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #2)
  • The Cluttered Corpse (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #2)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
  • Cooks Overboard (Angie Amalfi, #6)
  • Silver Scream
  • Swan for the Money (Meg Langslow, #11)
  • Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)
  • Manor of Death
  • Scotched (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #5)
  • Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)
  • Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.

After getting her B.A., she wor
More about Mary Daheim...

Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast, #2)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast, #4)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder, My Suite (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #8)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #9)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)