A Streetcar Named Expire (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #16)

A Streetcar Named Expire (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #16)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  16 reviews
For Sale: Luxury Condos, Corpse Included

Just a stone's throw from Judith McMonigle Flynn's thriving Hillside Manor, workmen are busy renovating the elegantly decrepit Alhambra Arms into pricey condominiums. But concerned contractor George Guthrie fears that well-heeled potential buyers may blanch when they learn about the four-decades-dead body that was stashed behind the...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Streetcar Named Expire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Streetcar Named Expire

Chazzi
When Judith McMonigle Flynn agreed to go with her sister on the maiden run of the Toujours La Tour guided tour of her hometown, she didn't expect her B&B to be the first stop. After listening to the guide go on about murder and mayhem having occured there, discovering the corpse of an exorcist at the second stop really got things off to a roar.

A dead exorcist, a found treasure and another dead body found in the walls of the 100 year old Alhambra Arms, which is currently under renovation, loo...more
Allan Krummenacker
I love these Bed and Breakfast mysteries, the two leads are a hoot and half with how they interact. And the variety of people they encounter can be so bizarre yet realistic at the same time. We all meet interesting characters in our daily lives, but we just don't always find out more about that them.

In this one, our protagonists Judith and Renie wind up working on 2 mysterious deaths. One from 40 years ago and one that they stumbled upon while on a tour. It's intriguing to see how the author in...more
Jeanne Quigley
I enjoyed this cozy very much. The plot was clever, weaving a past murder with a current one and involving interesting characters. The ending was very funny, echoing the end of the action movie Renie references at one point. And there's an ostrich!
Pam
TITLE/AUTHOR: A STREETCAR NAMED EXPIRE by Mary Daheim
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 2001, 296 pgs
TIME/PLACE: 1990's, Washington
CHARACTERS: Judith Flynn/B&B owner; Renie Jones/cousin -- graphic designer
COMMENTS: Another humorous entry in the B&B series. The Alhambra Arms is being renovated -- converting apts to condos. During the rehab a body is discovered between walls, treasure buried in the floor and the exorcist for the bad kharma is found shot on site. Judith's husba...more
Susan
Judith Flynn takes a mystery tour of her hometown, and is shocked when her bed-and-breakfast inn is one of the attractions. Determined to demand that the tour operator apologize, she gets off at the next stop--an apartment building, now being converted to condos, in which a murder took place--and finds another victim. Her husband Joe is hired to investigate the new murder, but Judith concentrates on the fifty-year-old case, interviewing people who lived in the apartments then, and people who rem...more
Michele
Another great installment in a great series.
VJ
First there were five rooms in the B&B. Then, there were six. Now there are eight? Really? What did they do? Chop two more rooms up? Editing is a lost art.

The storyline was okay. Not all the clues to figure it out yourself. This book sets up nicely for the next in the series, which actually is the first book I read by Mart Daheim. I then decided I better start from the beginning of the series to make heads or tails of the characters. It definitely helps to read these books in order!
Kirsten
This is the best entry in this series so far. I really enjoyed the mystery in this one. It was very nuanced and had depth. As well as the history of all the interconnected characters from the WWII era Alhambra apartments.

It still had all the ingredients I had come to love in this series. The humor and the quirky characters, but the addition of a cracker jack mystery really brought it over the top.
Diane Falvey
On a murder mystery tour That Judith didn't even want to participate in,the girls come across a dead body in an underconstruction condo block. Joe , working as a PI, is investigating and Judith believes that some stolen jewels are related to the murder. Joe "lets" Judith investigate the jewel theft thinking it will keep her out of his investigation. Well, we know who actually solves the crime don't we?
Mary  (Biblophile)
Another enjoyable Judith McMonigle Flynn cozy mystery. It's a wonder that Judy manages to run her bed and breakfast what with always getting involved in murder. Her cousin Renie's graphic business must suffer, too, as she's usually dragged along. Good plot and character development, although I think this one went on a little longer than necessary.
Mel
One of the more entertaining Bed and Breakfast mysteries. All kinds of twists and turns in the plot. This series gets better with each book. And, ya gotta love how Judith and Serena work together.
Sarah Jowett
I couldn't get into it, too much back stuff to catch up on from previous books and the conversations are hard to follow.
Sallie
I'm on a roll in reading these mysteries. I'm hooked I guess, or addicted, your choice - but I am now into the next book.
Kim
I really like this series. This was another great book!
Anne Mulder
Apr 04, 2007 Anne Mulder rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Light NW mystery
Shelves: mineallmine
Not my favorite of hers but ok
Allison Rasa
Allison Rasa marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Kat Seker
Kat Seker marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Janet Borjeson
Janet Borjeson marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Catherine Stange Schmid
Catherine Stange Schmid marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Heather Prewo
Heather Prewo marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Kelli Wetmore
Kelli Wetmore marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
  • Death Loves a Messy Desk (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #3)
  • Final Sail (Dead-End Job Mystery, #11)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Scotched (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #5)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters Mystery, #4)
  • Death A L'Orange (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery #3)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.
After getting her B.A., she wor...more
More about Mary Daheim...
Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #1) The Alpine Advocate (Emma Lord Mystery, #1) Fowl Prey (A Bed and Breakfast Mysery, #2) Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #4) The Alpine Betrayal (Emma Lord Mystery #2)