Start by marking “Understanding Your Grief: Ten Essential Touchstones for Finding Hope and Healing Your Heart” as Want to Read:

Explaining the important difference between grief and mourning, this book explores every mourner's need to acknowledge death and embrace the pain of loss. Also explored are the many factors that make each person's grief unique and the many normal thoughts and feelings mourners might have. Questions of spirituality and religion are addressed as well. The rights of mourners ...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Companion Press (CO) (first published July 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Your Grief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Your Grief

Linda
Nov 30, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me more of a head rather than heart approach to healing but
still a good book. I will keep it close by as it has good information.
Wanda
May 02, 2016 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I recognize the importance of repetition in learning, I was wearied by the redundancy in this book. However, if you can get past that, it is an excellent book with many thoughtful ideas on how to cope with the loss of a loved one. I regret not underlining the passages that have most helped me because now I may have to read it again! Actually it would be worth it to re-read, if it meant I could help someone else through the lonely, sad time of mourning.
The author is obviously a caring an
Kristi
May 02, 2016 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Used in our Refuge group at church. I am grateful for Dr. Wolfelt's description of the variety of ways people experience grief. Not everyone copes or processes grief in the same way, but it was comforting to read about people who did grieve similarly to me.
Tamara
Apr 14, 2015 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had I read this book earlier in my journey, I would've given it 4 or 5 stars. It's well-written with practical suggestions. It covers all the difficult aspects of the process without droning on forever & without making you cry even more than you already are.
Teri Orthwein
Jun 21, 2015 Teri Orthwein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot say enough

I cannot say enough good things about this book. It is so good at getting down to it in helping out with the problems with bereavement
Lynn
Jul 22, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review is
here
Michelle
May 24, 2014 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had to read for a Grief course. Very repetitive and very touch-feely. Disliked. Could be helpful to someone who is grieving, though.
Ellen Taylor
Feb 03, 2014 Ellen Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most helpful part of the book was the discussion of the misconceptions of grief and the "Am I Crazy?" chapter. Our culture seems to hate discussing normal reactions to grief and mourning, so I decided I would try reading about it. The point the book makes is that you can't avoid grief; can't go under it, around it, or over it, but through it. As a pain aversive person (I avoided the dentist for 16 years once!), this was bad news. I thought I might just stay busy and let it go away, but it ha ...more
Ellen Atkin
For me, this book was a little difficult to read. It didn't flow smoothly for me. Maybe I'm a little further down the path, but I didn't feel the need to go through all the exercises the author lays out. Hopefully, others will read this when they need support and assistance and get more out of it than I did. On the other hand, it did validate some of what I have experienced so far in the grief process... thoughts and feelings, action and inaction.
Thomas
May 31, 2016 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful in multiple areas.

Not written from a Christian perspectives and so at times can be very individualistic and a bit self-serving in application at points ("you deserve..."). That said, most of the applications are helpful and geared to help people embrace that they will often have to do the healthy things for themselves in the face of others who want them to be fixed right away.

Recommended.
Jenni Elyse
One of the most valuable things I’ve learned while reading this book is that no one should dictate my grief except me. No one should tell me to get over it, to move on, to be happy, etc. I should find people who are willing to listen without judgment when I have griefbursts.
Helene Domi
Jan 09, 2014 Helene Domi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and easy to read.
John
Nov 11, 2009 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been instrumental in helping me deal with my father's unexpected death. It has brought me peace, understanding, and the ability to accept my own grief.
Jinny
Mar 09, 2010 Jinny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grief-and-loss
This is the best book about living with grief that I have ever read. Highly recommended for anyone grieving or anyone whose family member or friend is grieving.
Katie
Sep 17, 2012 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was good. It takes a very spiritual perspective on grief and healing – which will appeal to some, but not all. It’s worth a look.
Jaime
Jul 28, 2016 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly helpful in giving order and sense to that which has none. Easy to digest when focus and energy are low.
Caroline Flohr
Apr 25, 2013 Caroline Flohr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book respects the fact that death is profound and grief is most unique.
Darlene
Jul 06, 2012 Darlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This guide is very helpful after experiencing the loss of someone you love.
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Cheryl Bear
Cheryl Bear rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Brittney Jasmin
Brittney Jasmin marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Toni
Toni is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2016
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Pascal Gautron
Pascal Gautron rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Ruby
Ruby marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Zara
Zara marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Rhonda Dlouhy
Rhonda Dlouhy rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Lilly
Lilly marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
  • Learning to Laugh When You Feel Like Crying: Embracing Life After Loss
  • How To Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies
  • Unattended Sorrow: Recovering from Loss and Reviving the Heart
  • The Wisdom We're Born With: Restoring Our Faith in Ourselves
  • The Last Dance: Encountering Death and Dying
  • Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy: A Handbook for the Mental Health Professional
  • The Grief Recovery Handbook: A Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Devastating Losses
  • Hungering for America: Italian, Irish, and Jewish Foodways in the Age of Migration
  • Life After Loss: A Practical Guide To Renewing Your Life After Experiencing Major Loss
  • Coming to Term: Uncovering the Truth About Miscarriage
  • Slamming Open the Door
  • Grieving Mindfully: A Compassionate and Spiritual Guide to Coping with Loss
  • The Lord Is My Shepherd: Healing Wisdom of the Twenty-third Psalm
  • Divine Beauty: The Invisible Embrace

“Sorrow is an inseparable dimension of our human experience. We suffer after a loss because we are human. And in our suffering, we are transformed.” 0 likes
“[S]ociety often tends to make those of us in grief feel shame and embarrassment about our feelings of grief.

"Shame can be described as feeling that something you are doing is bad. And you may feel that if you mourn, then you should be ashamed. If you are perceived as 'doing well' with your grief, you are considered 'strong' and 'under control.' The message is that the well-controlled person stays rational at all times.

"Combined with this message is another one. Society erroneously implies that if you, as a grieving person, openly express your feelings of grief, you are immature. If your feelings are fairly intense, you may be labeled 'overly-emotional' or 'needy.' If your feelings are extremely intense, you may even be referred to as 'crazy' or a 'pathological mourner.'

"As a professional grief counselor, I assure you that you are not immature, overly-emotional, or crazy.”
0 likes