Start by marking “Rollback: Repealing Big Government Before the Coming Fiscal Collapse” as Want to Read:
Rollback: Repealing Big Government Before the Coming Fiscal Collapse

Rollback: Repealing Big Government Before the Coming Fiscal Collapse

Offers the first critical analysis of the 2010 mid-term elections
Published February 7th 2011 by Regnery Publishing, Inc., An Eagle Publishing Company (first published January 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rollback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rollback

Jul 08, 2011 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is pure awesome. It reminded me of some things I already knew – e.g., the government sucks and needs to be scaled way (WAY) back because we can definitely do better without it. But it also taught me a lot about some things I only kinda knew, like how bad the war on drugs is and how wasteful the military can be. It got me excited about the growth of libertarian philosophy and Austrian economic thought. It also has a great final chapter on ways to enhance freedom, from jury nullification
David Robins
Mar 19, 2011 David Robins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is ammunition. If you have a friend who defends the
Audrey Coleman
Apr 24, 2014 Audrey Coleman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to go down the rabbit hole and see how far the US government has pushed its luck with regulations, taxes, parasitic social welfare programs, military spending and waste, monetary policy and more - read this book.
It has a good amount of resources for each chapter, should one want to read source material - and he also gives recommendations for other works, should someone want to study economic or political theory further.
I'd recommend it for anyone interested in economics or political
M.G. Bianco
May 08, 2011 M.G. Bianco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
I've always like Thomas Woods. He writes in a way that takes difficult economic concepts--the type to which men like Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek, and Murray Rothbard would dedicate whole tomes--and makes them easily understandable by the average reader. This book is no different.

In Rollback, he explains how government intervention in the economy has stifled it, causing booms and busts that were either non-existent or much more survivable prior to the Federal Reserve/central banking. But it
May 05, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I agree with almost every word in this book, I still found it disappointing.

For one thing, it doesn’t come close to living up to the promise of the title. Far from providing a roadmap to solving our problem of big government run amuck, it actually documents pretty clearly the institutional forces that drive the relentless growth of government and effectively preclude any hope of “rollback”, large or small. It is a very familiar, convincing and depressing picture and Woods’ call for opt
Darryl Perry
Oct 31, 2011 Darryl Perry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Woods begins Rollback by asking “is it already too late?” Before giving a lengthy answer, he points to recent polls that suggests most Americans claim to not trust the federal government; though much like a teenager that insists his parents are clueless – still looks their way for a solution. In answering the question Woods writes, “[t]he coming fiscal crisis is an opportunity to take a careful second look at government... we would not only survive but flourish in the absence of countless in ...more
May 17, 2011 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woods does a great job here of taking complicated issues...or issues that certain people make complicated... and explaining them in terms that evereybody can understand. The root of the issue is government growing endlessly. Spending more, watching more, wasting more. Woods attacks those low hanging solutions -- things that are most important to do first to get America back to where it needs to be.

Government is out of control financially-- printing whatever money they want to spend, promises of
If you are depressed with the state of the U.S. you probably shouldn't read this if you want to be cheered up. Mr. Woods looks at the looming crisis, its causes, the deep seated expansionist thinking of the establishment politicians along with the entitlement loving people who want everyone but themselves to get off the gov. dole.

The main theme of this book is the excessive intrusion of the government in our lives and its repercussions. The free market is not responsible for the misshaps that i
John Boettcher
Jul 27, 2013 John Boettcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that explains the crisis of 2008 in the most accurate, blunt way possible. There is no book out there that does a better job of it than Woods does in his book. He also points out several philosophical reasons why government is not necessarily good and always looking out for the best interests of the people it governs.

He makes the case that there will be another collapse, even greater than the one we went through in 2008 if the government insists on continuing down the road it h
Jan 17, 2015 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for every citizen. As a card carrying Libertarian, I alternated between disgust and anger while reading this. We are so much further in debt then we have ever been led to believe. Our grandchildren and their children will be saddled with more and more debt because of our large, unwieldy government and the welfare state it has produced. We need to make drastic changes now- which the author lays out- but even then it might be too late.
Oct 18, 2015 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics, political
Probably Tom Woods best book to date. Short and to the point, yet provides a comprehensive coverage of government's overreach.
Sep 08, 2011 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
It's unfortunate that this book will be looped in as an exclusively anti-Obama screed due to its cover, as it is a great outline of the more libertarian side of conservatism that needs more press. The conclusions are effectively backed up - recognizing that it's a short, pithy book without full documentation. Woods is fairly balanced in his call for cuts, taking an equally savage pen to military spending and waste, as to social programs of dubious intent and failed outcome. Entertaining to read, ...more
May 23, 2012 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty fast , but informative read. Woods refutes some of the conventional wisdom that is peddled today as irrefutable. Citing specific examples, Woods trashes the do-gooders in Washington with his trade-mark snarky wit. He explains some of the most insidious ways in which we are tricked into supporting our military industrial complex and the dirty tricks the use to make it almost impossible to de-fund. What I love so much about Woods' writing is he is first and foremost a historian so he has ...more
Nathan Shumate
Sep 10, 2015 Nathan Shumate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will vote for any candidate who has read this book.
Mar 02, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
50% of households live in a home that is over 25 years old that require deferred maintenance cost (2-3% of appraised home value spent yearly on share upkeep) 25% of households live in a home over 50 years old. The odds of bankruptcy in a home is higher than a divorce in a household.
John Barbour
Jun 12, 2013 John Barbour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
A must read for all Americans. It is a giant step toward eliminating the prevailing myth taught to us in Junior high that without government intervening in the economy we would all be worked to the bone by greedy capitalists and poisoned by unscrupulous businessmen.
Feb 09, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a similar theme to Woods' Meltdown, he hammers government ineptitude with little held back. This book is more general in nature and, as its title infers, its theme is rolling back dramatically, government at all levels. Excellent read.
Feb 06, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
A great book by Tom exposing the flaws of big government and our upcoming fiscal collapse should we the people accept it. Lots of citations throughout the book! I cannot wait to read his other books!
Robert Kenyon
Apr 21, 2013 Robert Kenyon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally got to finishing. Woods doesn't really present anything earthshaking to liberty-minded fans, but this would be a great read for the average voter.
George Edwards
Jan 04, 2013 George Edwards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably Tom Woods best book. It's radical, but really well written and proving of facts that should really be taken seriously.
Apr 02, 2016 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The chapter on good government is one of the best chapters I've read in any book. Definitely worth reading
Earlean Browne
Earlean Browne rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
roselyn hart
roselyn hart rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Stuart Huggins
Stuart Huggins marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Jason marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Michael Ritchie
Michael Ritchie rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2016
Dave Manjarrez
Dave Manjarrez marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Rick Zierer
Rick Zierer marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Robert marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • Anatomy of the State
  • Liberty Defined: 50 Essential Issues That Affect Our Freedom
  • Lies the Government Told You: Myth, Power, and Deception in American History
  • How Capitalism Saved America: The Untold History of Our Country, from the Pilgrims to the Present
  • Dismantling America: and other controversial essays
  • The Austrian Theory of the Trade Cycle and Other Essays
  • No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority
  • Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers
Professor Thomas E. Woods, Jr., is the author of the New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, as well as The Church Confronts Modernity: Catholic Intellectuals and the Progressive Era and The Church and the Market: A Catholic Defense of the Free Economy.
He hold four Ivy League degrees, including an A.B. from Harvard and a Ph.D. from Columbia. He lives with hi
More about Thomas E. Woods Jr....