Start by marking “La canción de Troya” as Want to Read:
La canción de Troya

La canción de Troya

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,750 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
La historia estaba escrita. Grecia y Troya, reinos míticos del mar Egeo, volverían a sumergirse en el fragor de las batallas. Ahí donde la sed de venganza y el honor humillado conducirían, insoslayablemente, a la devastación total de uno de los dos contendientes. Conjurando el poder de los dioses y a ira de los mortales, Grecia y Troya mancillarían con sus tropas las bonda ...more
Published 2004 by Círculo de Lectores, S.A. (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about La canción de Troya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La canción de Troya

Becky
This is the kind of historical fiction that I love to read. I've always had a passing interest in mythology, but sometimes it can be so dry! "So & So, son of Such & Such, did A, B, C, & D, had son Whatchamacallit with Whatshername who was the daughter of Whosthatguyagain?..." That's one of the reasons I've put off reading the Bible. Too many begats.

But McCullough manages to work all of the necessary begats in, while at the same time still moving the story along, and further making y
Mariana
Jul 13, 2014 Mariana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested in the story of the Trojan War - a must read!
Song of Troy is, probably, the best recollection of the Trojan War I've read so far. Colleen McCullough, with her stupend writing and style, presents us with this book on a well-known subject which, nevertheless, manages to keep the reader's interest from first page to last.

Colleen masterfully lays down the story of the most famous war of the ancient world, all the while bringing a new scope to the narrative, as each chapter is written through the eyes of a different character: the beautiful, bu
Artemas
This was my first read from historical fiction heavyweight Colleen McCullough. The story of the Trojan War isn't anything new by a longshot, but McCullough presents the tale through multiple POV's from both sides of the conflict, creating an interesting experience. I really enjoyed this book even though, like the siege of Troy itself, it started to wear me down by the end.

3.5 stars rounded up to a 4
Kirjaneito
Todella kiinnostava kirja! Antiikki-huumassani päädyin lukemaan tämän heti Akhilleen laulun jälkeen, mikä ei ehkä ollut Troijan laululle edullisin vaihtoehto. Päädyin jatkuvasti vertailemaan kirjoja keskenään ja vaikka teokset ovat keskenään todella erilaisia, eikä niitä varsinaisesti voi asettaa paremmuusjärjestykseen, Akhilleen laulu iski enemmän tunteisiin. Siinä missä edellä mainittu on katsaus Akhilleen ja Patrokleen rakkaustarinaan, Troijan laulu käsittelee kokonaisvaltaisemmin koko Troija ...more
Célia
A Canção de Tróia é um livro que me chegou muito bem recomendado, não só por colegas bloggers em cuja opinião confio bastante, mas também porque o meu pai leu-o e gostou muito. Apesar de o ter fisicamente, li a versão em inglês: primeiro, porque não o tenho comigo e depois porque a ideia de pegar num livro que o meu pai folheou me enche de uma tristeza infinita. Não me perguntem porquê, o luto tem destas coisas.

Sabia algumas coisas sobre a famosa Guerra de Tróia: uns pedaços de sabedoria popular
Alicja
rating: 4/5

A beautiful retelling of the Illiad. McCullough chooses to tell the tale through a variety of POVs (like Agamemnon, Hektor, Odysseus, Helen, Achilles, Paris, etc.) but it doesn't get confusing, whether it is my previous knowledge of the Illid or McCullough's writing style and strong characters filled with unique personalities (or a combination of both), I had no problem keeping track of the narrators. This style also enables us to see the conflict from all sides, to view all the chara
Kandice
Sep 23, 2009 Kandice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was moved to tears by this book, and felt ridiculous shedding them. I knew who would live and die, and exactly how it all turned out. That's McCullough's genius, though. She gives us all the little details, history books leave out, that make us feel for, and in some instances love, or hate a character. Everyone knows Odysseus was brilliant, but we don't think about how much that brilliance would have cost him. Achilles was brave, but he could have been sweet, kind and fair alongside his ruthle ...more
Deborah Pickstone

I was slow to get into this but once convinced it was my favourite version so far. I think most HF aficionados have favourite periods; I am willing to believe that, like me, they have the opposite about some periods. This is one of mine; I've read some of the classics around the story but the novels just don't attract me. It seemed a crazy event to me. However, CMcC managed to make it have logic as an event - it wasn't Helen after all but economic necessity, human nature and, to a degre
Dawn
To write a story where the end is already known and the characters are those of legend would seem to leave little for a writer to work with but McCullough has no problem making this story come alive.
Told by multiple points of view, the story could at times feel as if it was a little choppy but the different voices were distinct and interesting. Having parts of the story told by the Trojans and parts by the Greeks, gave a wonderful overview of the war from both sides.
Every writer has their own
Nina
Tämä on neljäs kerta kun luen tämän kirjan ja edelleen, yhä edelleen tämä pysyy yhtenä ehdottomista suosikeistani. Troijan laulu on täysin minun kirjani.

Vaikka tarinaltaan tämä kirja ei olekaan ihmeellinen, sen taikuus on täysin rakenteessa. Colleen McCullough on sitonut yhteen ällistyttävän määrän materiaalia, kertojia, tapahtumia ja tapahtumapaikkoja ja onnistunut tekemään niistä häkellyttävän yhtenäisen kuvaelman yhdestä antiikin ajan merkittävimmistä sodista.

Tämä kirja kertoo monen vuosikymm
Emily
Jul 01, 2014 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In general, I did like this take on the Trojan tale, but I have a couple of criticisms.

The narration device of having a different viewpoint in each chapter is one of my favourites, but in this case it was often difficult to tell one from the other. I think having fewer voices, more clearly defined, would have made the story immeasurely better.

My other criticism is that the author clearly has her favourites. Achilles and Odysseus have been firmly manipulated, with portions of the story greatly c
Genia Lukin
Mar 28, 2012 Genia Lukin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This is the story of the Iliad, retold by Colleen McCulough, one of the big and most meticulous historical fiction writers around.

However, this book fails to live up the the usual McCulough expectations. Her research is meticulous, as usual; she's clearly read the Iliad, dug into the history of ancient Greece, etc', but somehow, unlike in her vast and significantly superior Masters of Rome series, she fails to engage.

Her problems in this book are threefold:

She strikes a poor balance between revi
Margarida
Mar 25, 2014 Margarida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinário livro narrado na primeira pessoa por diversas personagens, iniciando-se muitos anos antes da famosa Guerra de Tróia. A excelência dos detalhes, da geografia, as peculiares características dos gregos e dos troianos, tudo contribui para esta ser uma obra imperdível. CM tem aqui o seu melhor romance.
James Burns
I would like to start out by saying, when I write a review on historical fiction, I don't like to reveal much about the story line. I want the reader to enjoy and discover the story line for themselves, if study history, legends based on history I want you to form your own opinions. That's the fun and challenge in reading historical fiction, discovering what is fiction and what is based on historical events.

This is a book about the face that launched a thousand ships. And why did the Greek kings
David Sierra
Mar 18, 2012 David Sierra rated it really liked it
Colleen McCullough vuelve a mostrar su dominio de la ficción histórica acercándonos esta vez a la guerra que tanto influyó en la literatura occidental. Los personajes se nos muestran cercanos, con sus dudas y flaquezas, narrándonos algunos en primera persona momentos clave de la misma historia. Helena, Aquiles, Ulises, Príamo, Héctor, y tantos, tantos iconos de la Grecia Clásica. La narración hace que la historia nos parezca verosímil, intentando unir la mitología con las realidades descubiertas ...more
Lucas
Jul 03, 2011 Lucas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the story of the Trojan war told in a manner more akin to today`s readers. so if you don`t have the stomach for The Iliad this could act as a nice substitute.

it is epic in scope (as it should be) beggining with the young years of the many important characters, and then after many stories set them off to the war. the war in itself is also long and with many tribulations but this is not a complaint, since the book delivers what the movie failed to.

also of interest you should see that each chapter
Anna
Mar 28, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really really liked this books but there were some points which prevented me from giving it 5 stars.
1) Not everyone can pull off first person narrative. She had many characters telling the story but it seemed liked it was one person just every chapter he called himself different.
2) lack of development in relationships. It just states: a loves b, b is the father of c and so on.
3) Briseis, Achilles, Patroclos triangle. So clished, of cource on person had to be the jelous one, the other — noble o
Zoe Saadia
Jul 28, 2011 Zoe Saadia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greatly enjoyed this novel!
Being a hardcore fan of McCullough already, I've expected much and, surprisingly, I got more.
As expected she once again succeeded in bringing to life a very ancient, and mainly forgotten, world of a legend, but she did more than this for me with the ever-changing, first-person point of view.
Deserves 5 stars in my opinion :)
Kei
Dec 08, 2007 Kei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I have two favourite stories set in Troy, and this one seems a nice choice for my First Book. The war comes to life, the characters step out of Homer and breathe - the good, the bad, and the slightly derranged - and Odyseus is my kind of hero, just a guy who wants to get the job done properly and go home.
Belén
Jul 30, 2015 Belén rated it it was ok
Shelves: ficcion
Mira, yo ya tengo La Canción de Aquiles por bandera y esto me ha parecido bastante mediocre, tanto algunos datos como el estilo. Buenas descripciones pero aún así no me ha salpicado la sangre. Lo que más me ha gustado es la caracterización y que mi OTP es canon.
Para echar el rato.
Bookish
Dec 05, 2007 Bookish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good story about troy
Shelves: goodreads
wow! what a great book! this author continues to dazzle me - she has always been one of my favorites! the way this story is told is unique - each "chapter" told by a different character and it all blends in beautifully! i didn't think i'd like this approach but it worked and well!
Nacho
Oct 31, 2007 Nacho rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histórica
Revisión de la Iliada despojada de factores mágicos, divinos y míticos. Los héroes, por ejemplo, son bastardos, lo que explica que sean hijos de mujer y dios. Ese punto desmitificador está bien, pero la alternancia de puntos de vista en la narración no cuaja. Se deja leer.
Maria
Jun 30, 2007 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good treatment of the Trojan war, but I was expecting more in terms of scope based on her Caesar series. Not epic...but a good read. Pretty down to earth in terms of the involvement of the gods.
Michael
May 13, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Very readable account of the Trojan Wars. Somehow manages to retain a level of historical gravitas and tell a rip-roaring war story at the same time.
Quince
Apr 17, 2016 Quince rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I tried. I failed. I have to bring it back to the library now.
Sam
Apr 16, 2015 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I just read this again, it is so good!
Bloodymaggie
Nov 06, 2015 Bloodymaggie rated it really liked it
Para no ser tan negativa, voy a poner alguna nota buena, empezando por libros que he leido y sí me han gustado sobre la mitica guerra de Troya.
Muy bien escrita, contada y desarrollada, tanto la historia como los personajes. Un autentico ejercicio de desarrollo de personajes sin caer en el maniqueismo. Incluso saber de algunos que en otros textos, no sabriamos nada de ellos como le ocurre a Briseida, la esclava favorita de Aquiles. Tal vez se tome ciertas licencias pero como el resultado no alter
Penelope Wallace
I agree largely with the reviews of Emily and Genia Lukin, about the treatment of Achilles and women characters. The story is well-researched and carefully told, but there are risks to telling it through several different characters, all of whose prose style is very similar. I have a theory as to why the author did this. The story, even at bits that are very dramatic, is largely told in stately paragraphs, and I think this is deliberate - she is trying to sum up a very different world of story: ...more
Juan Carlos Badaoui
Sep 04, 2015 Juan Carlos Badaoui rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Una mezcla magistral entre los géneros histórico y fantástico, con una aproximación bastante realista a la mentalidad y las costumbres del mundo antiguo durante la Era de los Héroes. Valoro especialmente cómo la autora deja abierta la posibilidad de atribuir muchos de los hechos de la historia tanto a la acción directa de los dioses del Olimpo como a explicaciones que pudieran ser perfectamente naturales y racionales. Y también cómo deja entrever que la guerra, más allá del "rapto" de Helena, se ...more
  • The War at Troy
  • The Praise Singer
  • Homer's Daughter
  • Of Merchants & Heroes
  • God of War
  • Achilles
  • Gildenford (Norman Quartet, #1)
  • Memnon
  • The Songs of the Kings
  • The Gates of Troy (Adventures of Odysseus, #2)
  • The Light Bearer
  • The Memoirs of Helen of Troy
  • The Beacon at Alexandria
  • The House of Death
  • The Ten Thousand: A Novel of Ancient Greece
  • The Black Stone (Agent of Rome #4)
  • Alcestis
Colleen Margaretta McCullough AO (married name Robinson, previously Ion-Robinson; 1 June 1937 – 29 January 2015) was an Australian author known for her novels, her most well-known being The Thorn Birds.

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Colleen McCullough...

“Love isn't truly the body. Love is freedom to roam the heart and mind of the beloved.” 3 likes
“Beware the Greeks when they bear gifts.” 1 likes