The Gates of Twilight

The Gates of Twilight

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In a fragile alliance, the natives are stirring uneasily under their foreign rulers. Rebellion is brewing, and at the heart of the conflict lies the bloody and powerful cult of the god Aoun, whose followers will stop at nothing to rid their land of alien domination. So civil servant Renille vo Chaumelle, scion of a proud, conquering line mingled with native blood, is consc...more
Published February 23rd 2011 by Spectra (first published 1996)

Natasha M.
I'm so happy I was able to read this (though I do think there may have been a few spoilers for the Wolf in Winter which I'm waiting for my local library to deliver into my hands) but I did feel as though I need to go back and read the Illusion (which I thankfully own) to refresh myself with the start of the Vonarish republic.

Basically these books take place in the same world... but I believe each book takes place a century (or maybe less) after each other. The Aveshquian society reminds me of a...more
Liviu
Recently I found by chance my old copy of Illusion (alt-French Revolution with magic set in a secondary world which I read many years ago in the early/mid 90's) and browsing it, i realized I still liked it and also that after the disappointing Russian inspired one (Wolf of Winter - also read around publication long ago) I forgot about the author, so I decided to check her more recent offerings starting with Gates of Twilight.

This one is a sort of Indian Sepoy mutiny inspired though not quite and...more
Mjhancock
Rather than the usual pseudo-medieval trappings for a fantasy novel, Volsky sets her story in a pseudo-19th century colonial India setting. It makes for an interesting change in tone, especially since it's clearly written with a postcolonial perspective. Beyond that, it's a fairly stream-lined fantasy story, with a small cast of characters. We're told everything about the villains about a hundred pages before the heroes find it out, which makes for an interesting opening hook, but does create a...more
Mariette
This book was interesting in the development of the evil characters, however I felt that I knew a whole lot more about them than I did the protagonist. The 'evil god' Aoun has many pages to his temperment and history. The main couple Renille and Jathonda have very few pages to their developed relationship and overall I felt that the book would have benefited greatly from just a few more words on their personalities. They end up together just because...they do...I just didn't connect with their r...more
John
There is little more to say than this was an entertaining read. It isn't deep literature, but enjoyable and gripping. The main characters are lovable, and Renille (the main character) is thoughtful and logical, which appealed to me greatly. Alternative ideas of a god or gods, with explanations of the creation of them, or the creation of a race of gods additionally appealed to me.

I will be going back to the library at some point and looking up different novels by this particular author.
Carol
This diverting fantasy novel takes place in a 19th-century style world, in a location and situation that is clearly meant as a parallel to British-occupied India. Adventure ensues when the tensions between the colonials and the natives are exploited by a sinister cult. There are dashing heroes, clever heroines, snooty colonials, and menacing cultists. The book was a fun, entertaining read.
Millerbug
This book was ok. It was a little long, to many debates for my taste. But the action (about 150 pages into it) it got really good. The characters were a little thin. But really it wasn't a bad read. Very good descriptions. But it isn't one I'll read again.
Darcey
Clearly a post-colonial Indian setting... it was middling enjoyable.
Dave White
Dave White is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Kevin Stanton
Kevin Stanton marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Garrett
Garrett marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Leigh Morgan
Leigh Morgan is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2014
Andrea Berrios
Andrea Berrios marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Sophia Koehn
Sophia Koehn marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Paula Volsky is an American fantasy author. Born in Fanwood, New Jersey, she majored in English literature at liberal arts college Vassar in New York State. At the University of Birmingham, England, she received an M.A. in Shakespearian studies. Before writing fantasy, she sold real estate and also worked for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Illusion, The Wolf of Winter, The Ga...more
More about Paula Volsky...
Illusion The Wolf of Winter The Grand Ellipse The White Tribunal The Sorcerer's Lady (Sorcerer, #1)