Start by marking “The Gates of Twilight” as Want to Read:
The Gates of Twilight

The Gates of Twilight

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In a fragile alliance, the natives are stirring uneasily under their foreign rulers. Rebellion is brewing, and at the heart of the conflict lies the bloody and powerful cult of the god Aoun, whose followers will stop at nothing to rid their land of alien domination. So civil servant Renille vo Chaumelle, scion of a proud, conquering line mingled with native blood, is consc ...more
Published February 23rd 2011 by Spectra (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Gates of Twilight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gates of Twilight

Natasha M.
I'm so happy I was able to read this (though I do think there may have been a few spoilers for the Wolf in Winter which I'm waiting for my local library to deliver into my hands) but I did feel as though I need to go back and read the Illusion (which I thankfully own) to refresh myself with the start of the Vonarish republic.

Basically these books take place in the same world... but I believe each book takes place a century (or maybe less) after each other. The Aveshquian society reminds me of a
Recently I found by chance my old copy of Illusion (alt-French Revolution with magic set in a secondary world which I read many years ago in the early/mid 90's) and browsing it, i realized I still liked it and also that after the disappointing Russian inspired one (Wolf of Winter - also read around publication long ago) I forgot about the author, so I decided to check her more recent offerings starting with Gates of Twilight.

This one is a sort of Indian Sepoy mutiny inspired though not quite and
Rather than the usual pseudo-medieval trappings for a fantasy novel, Volsky sets her story in a pseudo-19th century colonial India setting. It makes for an interesting change in tone, especially since it's clearly written with a postcolonial perspective. Beyond that, it's a fairly stream-lined fantasy story, with a small cast of characters. We're told everything about the villains about a hundred pages before the heroes find it out, which makes for an interesting opening hook, but does create a ...more
This book was interesting in the development of the evil characters, however I felt that I knew a whole lot more about them than I did the protagonist. The 'evil god' Aoun has many pages to his temperment and history. The main couple Renille and Jathonda have very few pages to their developed relationship and overall I felt that the book would have benefited greatly from just a few more words on their personalities. They end up together just because...they do...I just didn't connect with their r ...more
There is little more to say than this was an entertaining read. It isn't deep literature, but enjoyable and gripping. The main characters are lovable, and Renille (the main character) is thoughtful and logical, which appealed to me greatly. Alternative ideas of a god or gods, with explanations of the creation of them, or the creation of a race of gods additionally appealed to me.

I will be going back to the library at some point and looking up different novels by this particular author.
This diverting fantasy novel takes place in a 19th-century style world, in a location and situation that is clearly meant as a parallel to British-occupied India. Adventure ensues when the tensions between the colonials and the natives are exploited by a sinister cult. There are dashing heroes, clever heroines, snooty colonials, and menacing cultists. The book was a fun, entertaining read.
This book was ok. It was a little long, to many debates for my taste. But the action (about 150 pages into it) it got really good. The characters were a little thin. But really it wasn't a bad read. Very good descriptions. But it isn't one I'll read again.
Clearly a post-colonial Indian setting... it was middling enjoyable.
Trevor marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
A Bleak
A Bleak marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Greg Kirby
Greg Kirby marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Sarah Brunet
Sarah Brunet marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Hugh Mullan
Hugh Mullan marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Huw marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Shari marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
David marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
  • Dream Dancer (Kerrion Empire, #1)
  • Araminta Station (Cadwal Chronicles, #1)
  • Ivory (Birthright #14)
  • The Isle of Battle (The Swans' War, #2)
  • The Throne of Scone (The Tales of Aeron, #3)
  • Illumination
  • Blackmantle
  • The Complete Adventures of Lucky Starr (Lucky Starr, #1-6)
  • The Jaguar Princess
  • Reclamation
  • Rumors of Spring
  • Sorcerer & Gentleman (Argylle #2)
  • The Sword of Maiden's Tears (Twelve Treasures, #1)
  • White Jenna (Great Alta, #2)
  • Kings and Assassins (Antyre, #2)
  • Afterburn (Bio Rescue, #2)
  • Infanta (Indigo, #3)
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
Paula Volsky is an American fantasy author. Born in Fanwood, New Jersey, she majored in English literature at liberal arts college Vassar in New York State. At the University of Birmingham, England, she received an M.A. in Shakespearian studies. Before writing fantasy, she sold real estate and also worked for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Illusion, The Wolf of Winter, The Ga
More about Paula Volsky...
Illusion The Wolf of Winter The Grand Ellipse The White Tribunal The Sorcerer's Lady (Sorcerer, #1)