Start by marking “Selected Poems (Everyman Poetry)” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems (Everyman Poetry)

Selected Poems (Everyman Poetry)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  9 reviews
EVERYMAN'S POETRY LIBRARY: This new series of the world's greatest poetry features the hallmarks of Everyman Classics: top-quality production and reader-friendly design along with helpful notes and critiques. Each edition is also a great value, especially for those readers beginning to explore the work of this remarkable poet.
Published May 15th 1997 by Phoenix (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Ltd ) (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Jude Brigley
Have been reading Clare's poems throughout the year and reminding myself how much I like them.
'The girning winds bit sharp and thin
And made the early riser blow his nails,
and crizzling frost shot needles in the dyke
and crumpt beneath the feet down grassy vales.'

I love 'crizzling', 'crumpt' and 'girning'.
Brandon
I read this almost straight through as soon as I purchased it. This is the true country voice of the English Romantics...Wordsworth wished he could draw on the enormous rural knowledge that John Clare possessed. I can return to this time and time again.
Mar 26, 2014 Sarah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-must-to-read
I cant wait for this book, I am in love with John Clare and his deep relationship with nature, Ive knew him by coincidence from reading some poems in a classic poetry book.
Matilda
I am a huge fan of poetry and John Clare is by far one of my favourite poets. This book contains most of his best sonnets and poems and includes a small timeline of his life.
My only criticism is that it does not contain all of his poems however it was perfect for when I had a little spare time to pick up a poetry book and enjoying a poem or two.
Suzammah
There are only so many sonnets about different British birds I can appreciate. He had a great poem about a badger getting revenge on some nasty country folk though, that was fun. Of course, when he's being a thoroughly miserable bastard and writing about inner turmoil rather than a lesser spotted sparrow, he's one of the best.
John
What can you say if you like poetry you just have to love John Clare I particularly like the poems to Mary ( Romantic In me I guess ) When i first read this copy, the words I sleep with you I wake with you and yet you are not there, just kept going through my mind over and over.
Jake B
Collection of poems I studied for my AS English Lit, some poems are truly brilliant (I Am, To John Clare, some of the nature ones) however some are just plain boring. He needed an editor, for example 'The Parish' could be three pages shorter and much better.
Jenni
Jul 27, 2007 Jenni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poets
The most ignored of the romantics and ten times better than Wordsworth (gag).
Susan
Boring, inane and insipid. Couldn't wait to be done with this.
Victor Cosby
Victor Cosby marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Nihan Yildirim
Nihan Yildirim marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Brian Neumann
Brian Neumann marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
thomas
thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Sharon Jones
Sharon Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Tom Ashworth
Tom Ashworth marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Home
Home added it
Feb 13, 2015
  • Selected Poems
  • W.B. Yeats (Everyman's Poetry)
  • The Complete Poems
  • Selected Poems (Wordsworth, William)
  • Complete Poems
  • Selected Poetry
  • The Selected Poems
  • The Complete Poems and Translations
  • Seeing Things: Poems
John Clare was an English poet, in his time commonly known as "the Northamptonshire Peasant Poet", born the son of a farm labourer at Helpston (which, at the time of his birth, was in the Soke of Peterborough, which itself was part of Northamptonshire) near Peterborough. His poetry underwent a major re-evaluation in the late 20th century and he is often now considered to be one of the most importa ...more
More about John Clare...
"I Am": The Selected Poetry of John Clare Major Works Selected Works (Oxford Authors) Careless Rambles by John Clare: A Selection of His Poems Chosen and Illustrated by Tom Pohrt The Prose Of John Clare