Start by marking “The Dark Ground (The Dark Ground Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Ground (The Dark Ground Trilogy, #1)

The Dark Ground (The Dark Ground Trilogy #1)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  241 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Robert wakes up naked and alone in a thick jungle. The last thing he remembers is being in a plane with his family, but there is no sign of a crash or survivors. Then he discovers the shocking truth--he is in the park near his house, but his familiar world has been transformed into an alien landscape. When he finds others in the same position, he enlists their help in gett ...more
Published September 23rd 2004 by Dutton Juvenile (first published January 1st 2001)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis StevensonThe Double by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Scapegoat by Daphne du MaurierWilliam Wilson by Edgar Allan PoeA Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Doppelgängers
50th out of 113 books — 74 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAlice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Secret Of NIMH by Seymour Reit
Nests, Dens, Lairs, Holes, Lodges, Setts
34th out of 68 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Jaemi
Jan 25, 2009 Jaemi rated it really liked it
This is one of the most unique Fantasy books I think I’ve ever read. Which isn’t to say that the rest are all cookie cutter books, but I do read a lot about magic, and as different as the books are, the stories share similar genes. Dark Ground enters a new realm of real versus the unimaginable.

On a flight with his family, Robert Doherty takes a trip to the restroom, where he happens to look at himself in the mirror, and feels he sees someone looking back out at him. That’s the last thing he reme
Amy
May 29, 2015 Amy rated it liked it
Very unique book about the little people that live amongst us. So interesting. Robert gets pulled to the small world (lost and not knowing that he is small!), Lorn ends up showing him the way to where the rest of the kids live. He goes on a quest with Cam and Zak to find his family. Will he be the one to save them all?
Caranna
Mar 25, 2014 Caranna rated it liked it
The Dark Ground is a truly unique fantasy book filled with magic and mystery.

This book was very confusing at the beginning. I was grasping at straws trying to piece together a puzzle where more than half of the pieces were missing. I, like Robert in the story, had no clue what was going on or why it was happening. For this reason I had a hard time getting into the book. It took about 50 or 60 pages before the story really started to flow and I felt like I was able to put a few pieces in place.

W
Jenny
Jun 29, 2016 Jenny rated it it was ok
Usch vad dålig! Läs den inte!

Jättelångtråkig, jag gav upp i slutet, fatta, i SLUTET. Då brukar man ju kommit in i boken men det tog ju aldrig slut. Det var bara ett enda stycke av långtråkigt kallprat och handlingar. Början var bra så därför får boken en tvåa i alla fall, annars skulle den fått en etta. Synd på en så bra författare (vad jag förstått) och en så bra story.
Robbie C
I liked it although I didn't always understand what was going on. I think it could have been explained a bit better. I liked the idea of the book and the storyline was good. The main character wakes up in the jungle and the only thing he remembers is being on a plane. As he struggles to survive he notices someone watching him.
Star
Jul 10, 2011 Star rated it did not like it
ok guyz..i don't know if i should say this or not but......
this is one of the most terrible and ridiculous books i've ever read in my entire life..... but i had to since my teacher recommended it... those of you who still haven't touched it... don't even think about it... it's only filled with unneccessary and boring details....
Jayne
A kind of survivor story, Robert goes from returning from a holiday, to being attacked by a monster, with no knowledge of how it happened. But, Robert is determined to find out, and on the way, finds himself.
recommended for people of all ages.
Sally Flint
Nov 07, 2015 Sally Flint rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-reads
I'm not quite sure what to make of this read. It isn't the thriller, it is described as being on its cover, but then I hadn't realised it was part of a trilogy, so maybe the next books make it so. I'd describe it more as a dark 'borrowers' for older readers. Much less of the jolly making furniture out of cotton reels and much much more of the hardship and struggle that the characters experience. How the characters ended up small in the first place, will I think become more significant in the lat ...more
Michele Velthuizen
Nov 14, 2010 Michele Velthuizen rated it it was amazing
Interest level: 5th +
Reading level: medium
Genre: adventure, fantasy, survival
Series: Lost

What would you do if, one day, something strange happens and you shrink so much that you are no taller than a blade of grass? What would the world look like and how would you survive?

This is what happened to Robert who wakes up after a plane crash only to find himself all alone in a thick jungle. Although in shock, Robert quickly realizes that he needs to find food and shelter in order to survive, and as he
Evelyn Nicole Ruvalcaba
Apr 21, 2014 Evelyn Nicole Ruvalcaba rated it really liked it
This book was really good and kept me interested and made me want to keep reading. I actually couldn't stop reading. I read it all in about one week. The book consists of a boy Robert who ends up shrinking and finds some friends who help him survive and together they go on a journey to get Robert back to his normal self battling huge monsters and eating a snail in order to survive.
Alina Raza
May 08, 2011 Alina Raza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is having a lot of enrich mystery which is really hard to work out and all of it is connected to a boy's struggle towards his hometown.
The whole story contains characters that are having almost the same problem as Robert, the boy; they all need to get home but as they don't know where they are so that's why they can not make their move. As they know that any wrong step might cost their life.
But as Robert has seen something, he is determined to get there and find out the truth about how
Jon Saunders
I remembered reading and enjoying 'The Demon Headmaster' books when I was at school so I thought I would read something else by Gillian Cross.

Robert wakes up in a jungle. The last thing he remembers is being on a plane with his family. Where is he? How did he get here? As the story unfolds it becomes clear that the world Robert thought he knew is very far away from him. He meets up with a community of other children who have made the jungle their home and sets out with three of them to try and f
Lisa
Jun 11, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-school
Als ich das Buch in der 6.Klasse für eine Buchvorstellung gelesen habe, fand ich es super. Es birgt eine super schöne Idee, die umwerfend spannend war und mich sehr gefesselt habe. Vielleicht sollte ich es nochmal lesen, und dann die Folgebände noch anschließen, die ich irgendwie nie gelesen habe.
Ann
Sep 17, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2006
It's Lost meets the Littles in this unique fantasy. Robert doesn't remember what happened before he woke up naked in the woods. His last memory was being in an airplane bathroom. Did his plane crash? If so, where is the wreckage, and why don't there seem to be other survivors? As Robert tries to survive in the wilderness, he becomes aware of others around him, helping him. But when he realizes the truth about where he is and what has happened to him, he must undertake a difficult journey to reac ...more
TheSaint
Oct 17, 2008 TheSaint rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
The book jacket describes The Dark Ground by Gillian Cross as "unputdownable." Not an elegant description, but accurate, as I read nearly all of it in one sitting.
Robert is in strange and dire circumstances, no doubt. But he tries his best to survive with only his wits and bare hands. Luckily, someone takes pity on him and gives him a helping hand; which leads him to discover a whole group of other people in strange and dire circumstances. He is not satisfied that there is no way out of the sit
Jacy Merrill
Aug 08, 2014 Jacy Merrill rated it did not like it
I was bored with this book! I couldn't figure out anything until mid-way through and the end was not worth it.
Dianna
Dec 27, 2007 Dianna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dedicated readers
this book was allright, but nothing more. the only reason to keep reading at the beginning was to try and clear up your thoughts as to what in the world was going on. i didn't get the situation until about halfway through the book. after that, it just carried you, but it was hard to follow the author's train of thought. although the cover makes it seem daer and depressing, it really isn't, (don't go judging books by their covers) but just odd. i guess if you like that sort of thing... i don't th ...more
Maaz Khan
May 29, 2014 Maaz Khan rated it really liked it
Nice novel. very interesting and nice story
Reeva
May 12, 2011 Reeva rated it it was ok
May contain Spoilers!!!!!!!

This is the weirdest book I have ever read. I don't even know what to think after reading it. I feel like my brain isn't functioning. I don't quite get what the hell just happened. It didn't explain anything. How did they get small? Why? Who did this to them? Why them? After reading this book I was left confused and frustrated. Nothing makes sense and the book was pointless. No adventure, no passion, no romance, no thrills. Just confusion and irratation.
Tom
Jan 29, 2013 Tom rated it liked it
A tense adventure for super small humans who keep getting smaller.Problem is you don't really get to know the characters and have no idea who they are, why they are small, why Robert changes at the end, etc. Maybe the author wants to save all this for #2 and #3, but you need something to help you stay connected to the characters and the story. I may go on to the second of this trilogy; I haven't decided yet.
Shonna Froebel
Jan 19, 2014 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it
Boy unexplainedly shrinks to a minuscule size. Tries with help of others in the same circumstances to get back home.
Marleigh
Dec 11, 2010 Marleigh rated it it was ok
Only read the first half. Started out really cool, but once the big plot twist was revealed, I lost interest for some reason. Probably because it looked like it was going to turn into a fairly straight up adventure story after that, and I wasn't in the mood for it.
Shannon
Mar 15, 2010 Shannon rated it liked it
This was a good story, although it was a little gritty for a kid's book. There was no humor to offset the survivalist theme. The ending was good, wrapping up one portion of the story while leaving possibilities for the next book.
Angela
Dec 17, 2007 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2006
On occasion I like to read juvenile books just so that I can stay current on what's popular. This book was full of surprises and it left me guessing the whole way through the book. I can't wait to read the next ones.
Jamie Davis
Feb 09, 2012 Jamie Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This was one of the most exciting, interesting, well thought through, fun book I've ever read. LOL. Robert is one of the most headstrong reliable guy I've ever read about. lol.

This book is a must-read. :)
Darling
Feb 03, 2011 Darling rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! full of dark mystery with every chapter giving you more suspense. The discriptions in the book of the scenes was amazing, it really made you vizualize what was going on.
Brandi
May 28, 2008 Brandi rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable. The atmosphere! The mystery! The adventure! Unfortunately the next two books in the trilogy are not as good, though the story does come together nicely in the end.
Courtney
Sep 24, 2011 Courtney rated it liked it
I really just don't do well with the whole man vs nature survival genre. Having said that, this is one of the better ones I've read with an intriguing premis.
Jul 28, 2011 Sarah added it
Shelves: ya, novel, fantasy, scifi
Interesting YA adventure story, similar to survival tales like The Hatchet but with a mild fantasy element.
Debbie
Jan 20, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Robert is looking at himself in an airplane mirror, and suddenly wakes up in a strange forest
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. MG-YA adventure about a boy who shrinks [s] 3 37 Jan 26, 2015 12:34PM
Worth Finnishing? 1 3 Jul 12, 2012 08:28PM
  • The Hour of the Cobra (Time-Travel Series, #2)
  • Alara Unbroken (Magic: The Gathering)
  • Apocalypse
  • The Demon Hunter (Oliver Nocturne, #4)
  • Eve of Destruction (Dark Eden, #2)
  • Passenger (The Marbury Lens, #2)
  • Freewill
  • A Crack in the Line (Withern Rise, #1)
  • Happy Kid!
  • Darkside (Darkside, #1)
  • Les liens de l'amitié (Les Nombrils, #3)
  • The Big Bazoohley
  • Dragon Blade: The Book of the Rowan
  • Jurassic World Special Edition Junior Novelization (Jurassic World)
  • Afterschool Charisma, Vol. 7
  • Black Valley
  • Guardian of the Vision (Merlin's Descendants, #3)
  • Empire of Gut and Bone (Norumbegan Quartet, #3)
Gillian Cross was born Gillian Arnold in 1945. She was educated at North London Collegiate School, Somerville College, Oxford and the University of Sussex. Although now a full-time writer who often travels and gives talks in connection with her work, she has had a number of informal jobs including being an assistant to a Member of Parliament. For eight years she also sat on the committee which adv ...more
More about Gillian Cross...

The Dark Ground Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Black Room (Dark Ground, #2)
  • The Nightmare Game (The Dark Ground Trilogy, #3)