Start by marking “Help Me Live, Revised: 20 Things People with Cancer Want You to Know” as Want to Read:
Help Me Live, Revised: 20 Things People with Cancer Want You to Know

Help Me Live, Revised: 20 Things People with Cancer Want You to Know

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Almost all of us know someone with cancer.

And, of course, we want nothing more than to offer comfort and support, and foster hope. But we don’t always know how—and may feel uncomfortable asking. Following her own treatment for cancer, Lori Hope created a survey for cancer survivors addressing issues they wanted their families, friends, and caregivers to understand. The r
Published September 13th 2011 by Celestial Arts (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Help Me Live, Revised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help Me Live, Revised

Suezq
Jan 27, 2008 Suezq rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: healing
Lori Hope is an extraordinarily compassionate woman and a survivor. This book is a must read if you've ever known anyone with cancer, particularly if a loved one is dealing with cancer right now. She shows you in such a loving way....with insight, humor, common sense, and experience....how to be part of a valuable support system. Read this book! It's an easy read. It's essential!
Deena Scintilla
Jan 03, 2010 Deena Scintilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diana
Recommended to Deena by: jumped out at me from the library shelf.
Shelves: non-fiction
A must-read for anyone who knows or cares about someone who is experiencing cancer either as a patient or as a caregiver. I plan to buy 2 copies-one for my personal lending library & one for my sister.
Barb
Jul 10, 2009 Barb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book written by a cancer survivor on what to say/not say and do/not do when a friend or family member has a serious illness.
Kathy
Nov 10, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Noone wants to read about cancer but this is a very helpful book that tells you how people with cancer would want to be treated. We all know or will know someone who is effected by this horrible disease. It does not always mean a "death sentence" but I believe it's only human to think it is and probably feel it is. This book makes you think before you say things and makes you realize that it is not necessarily the end of your life. I haven't ready very much of it yet but know that it's a positiv ...more
Nancy
Mar 20, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cancer-stuff
This was a very good place to start, for me. If nothing else it certainly let me know that it is okay to be dumbfounded; everyone is. And that I may very well say the wrong thing at times but it is always better than saying nothing. Mostly to confirm my belief people with cancer are still ALIVE. It's the next thing on their plate, but it certainly won't be the last thing. They still need to eat and sleep and talk and laugh and cry and yell, and LIVE THEIR LIVES. And maybe I will be able to remem ...more
Connie
Jul 04, 2015 Connie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cancer, caregiving
Extremely beneficial. If you know someone with cancer - especially if you are the caregiver! - this is a Must Read. Read it over and over.
Elizabeth
Sep 08, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books
This book was fantastic and I think is going to become my staple for friends with loved ones who are going through Cancer. It made me actually think about what is going on in my mom's head - as opposed to what I think I think I know.

Lori - as a cancer survivor herself - write the book with wit and wisdom. She interviewed a large number of survivors, physicians, care givers and support network people to put this book together.

Is everything perfect? no, but it at least gives you thoughts, ideas
J.C.
May 26, 2008 J.C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who know someone with cancer or other life-threatening illness or tragic life event
Recently learned my sister has cancer, and this book has helped me feel more confident in offering her help and support. It's almost all common-sense, yet it's very reassuring to read what cancer patients want and don't want to hear. And the words of advice extend beyond just dealing with cancer--I feel more comfortable with the idea of talking to anyone with a life-threatening illness or tragedy. Highly recommend.
B.j.
Sep 19, 2012 B.j. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cancer
Anyone who has a family member or friend who is living with cancer should read this book. Most people are just as shocked as the cancer patient upon learning the news. Most find it difficult to know what to say or how to act. This book is based on large surveys of cancer patients and summarized the most important messages that cancer patients want you to know.
هناء يونس
Nov 05, 2012 هناء يونس rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A very good book for people who know cancer patients. When reading the book I relized the great resemblance in the cancer patients' way of thinking, attitudes and feelings no matter how different was their nationalities and religions.
Elizabeth Mullis

Great book and insight about feelings/ emotions of cancer patients. Helped me understand the feelings of my mom whom was recently diagnosed with lung cancer.
Stephanie
Mar 29, 2010 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical
I only skimmed about half of this. It's pretty basic stuff (e.g., don't tell people "your cancer is a blessing in disguise! be thankful!"), but reassuring none-the-less.
Linda
Dec 14, 2008 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was mostly common sense, but reading it helped me process some things and think a little more about the situation, which was a good thing.
Jgfunk
Sep 03, 2012 Jgfunk rated it it was amazing
Excellent book- I've experienced it from both sides of the equation. I've given away 4 copies to friends who have loved ones with cancer.
Susan Hester
Hope has very good intentions but this book is over the top in detail. Cut by half or even 2/3, Lori and we'll get the point.
Aimee
Aug 18, 2007 Aimee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EXCELLENT book for anyone that has someone close to them with cancer. Gives lots of good insight.
Cathie
Jul 06, 2013 Cathie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
mainly common sense, did give you things to think about and examples of what was helpful
Sheila
Dec 12, 2011 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read if you are know anyone with cancer. Based on a survey - very informative
Breanne
Extremely insightful.
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Tracey
Tracey is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2016
Cay
Cay rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
JoAnn Capriotti
JoAnn Capriotti rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
FSN
FSN marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Dusty
Dusty rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Deirdre Cully
Deirdre Cully marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016