In Search of Time: The Science of a Curious Dimension

In Search of Time: The Science of a Curious Dimension

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Time surrounds us. It defines our experience of the world; it echoes through our every waking hour. Time is the very foundation of conscious experience. Yet as familiar as it is, time is also deeply mysterious. We cannot see, hear, smell, taste, or touch it. Yet we do feel it—or at least we think we feel it. No wonder poets, writers, philosophers, and scientists have grapp...more
Published January 5th 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published October 21st 2008)

Jon
The main topic of this book is 'time.' At first it covers the cultural aspects of time which I found very interesting. The author tells about how various cultures interpreted time and used it and how that changed over the centuries.
About 1/3 of the way through the book it shifted to modern physics and relativity. This section was only mildly interesting. The combination of a very complicated science combined with history of fairly dull scientists made for some pretty slow reading.
One serious...more
BAKU
He interviewd Barbour, Deutsch, and Penrose for this , but had no real idea what to ask them. ( Also you can probably skip the first five chapters )
Fil Krynicki
Having just finished this book, I meant to take advantage of my "Now" to record my thoughts, before they are lost to the (perhaps illusory) past.

Falk's treatment of time is roughly chronological, appropriate if somewhat alarming - I spent a good deal of the book thinking I had mistook a bit of popular science for a treatment of the social and cultural perceptions of time through the ages. Those, while interesting, were not my primary interest. As with all history, however, Falk manages to spend...more
Gary Schroeder
Dan Falk’s “In Search of Time” is a thoroughly approachable and enjoyable review of what physicists and philosophers are able to tell us about the nature of time, an aspect of life that we take for granted as obvious and understood...until you start to look at it closely. Falk covers every aspect of time from ancient attempts to build astronomical clocks and the development of mechanical time keepers to Einstein’s theories of relativity that shattered the illusion of any absolute standard for “n...more
Verene
I feel slightly cheated, as this book's subtitle says (with my emphasis) "the SCIENCE of a curious dimension," but the actual 'science of time' content was minimal, probably less than 1/8th of the book, and the majority of that was an overview of the ramifications of special relativity (nothing you wouldn't have already heard about if you took freshman physics in college or read pretty much ANY other book that touched on the topic). The rest was made up of what I considered mildly interesting fi...more
Mike Smith
This is a very good, recent book about just how little we really understand about the nature of time. If you've read a lot of books on the history of science, the first couple of chapters will seem a bit repetitive, as it covers ground that most books of that sort cover. It explains how we've improved our ability to measure time from the seasonal cycles and stone circles of the ancients to modern atomic clocks. There's a good discussion of Newton's views on time as compared to Einstein's. There...more
Picklevictory
I will probably edit this later with more details but I just have to write something real quick....

After two years of initially starting it and never being able to get through, I finally finished it for the first time and I loooove the book. I'm probably going to read sections over again in the near future. I took so many notes in my book that I want to go back to.

I definitely recommend this read for those who want to get a basic exposure to concepts of time through the lenses of different studi...more
Ted Hopkins
A good and absorbing read. There is nothing new here that I have not encountered in diverse other reads, either in books or magazines, but this pulls together many threads to make a whole cloth of our view of time. That is the wonder of this book.

The reader gets to consider time not just in terms of clock mechanics, physics, and mathematics but in every day life, in philosophy, in sociology, in psychology, in history, in religion, and more. Various human cultures respond differently to time and...more
Vegantrav
nothing really new hear, but a great overall view of the history, philosophy, and science of time - Falk's own struggle against the idea that time is an illusion (which modern physics seems to point toward) makes for some of the best reading of the book

the illusory view of time (brought to the fore of physics, in large measure, by Einstein's theory of relativity): time is just another dimension (like the 3 dimensions of space) - all moments in time exist simultaneously just like all places in sp...more
Aaron
I haven't read any other books on this subject, so I cannot fairly compare it to them. However, I thought Dan Falk did an excellent job in presenting all of the information and walking through the history time in a swell way. Anyone a little bit interested in time or the idea of thinking deeper in a seeming commonplace subject should definitely think about reading this book.

I am also happy to say that man physicists of today believe if time does indeed exist, it is not in the everyday way we thi...more
Taylor Ellwood
This book presents a "history" of time, with a heavy focus on physics and how physicists throughout history have approached and tried to conceptualize and explain time. The author does an excellent job of presenting a wide variety of both contemporary and historical perceptions of time. I enjoyed reading this book because it provided some food for thought on how I understand and conceptualize time. I recommend it to anyone who finds the concept of time fascinating and wants to learn what others...more
Nicole Chardenet
Falk is a science journalist whose style is easy to read. He covers - not to make a joke here! - time past, present and future. The early chapters cover the history of clocks and measuring time which I found quite interesting. I also liked the parts where he got into the physics of time, which was a bit dense for me but through no fault of Falk's, the subject matter itself is difficult to grasp. All in all, I'd call it a good read.
Scott Miller
Covers the basic for two-thirds of the book, and finally only gets interesting the last third. Probably best for strict beginners only. The best past was near the end when the author finally explores the idea that time make be a human concept only, an illusion, with no basis in reality -- a concept I fully believe and wished would have been more thoroughly explored.
Jeffrey
Great overview of time and space. Includes perspectives from many disciplines such as philosophy & physics, and everything in between. Easy to read, and the author takes what could be a dry book and makes it entertaining.

I need to check out his previous book, Universe on a T-Shirt, and make my way through some of the reference books he cites.
Seth
"It is also rather intriguing that the fate of the universe billions upon billions of years in the future is actually clearer to us than the fate of our own civilization."

A great read, full of thought-provoking ideas, and based on broad research into many fields generally thought to be unrelated.
Lindsay Goto
Easy to read for the layman if a bit dense and hard to get through at times, Falk takes us on an incredible walk through time. We are lead through philosophical, scientific, religious and existential debates and introduced to a fascinating new world where time cannot and will not be taken for granted.
Adam Carter
I really like books like Falk's that challenge me to think about the world in ways that seem counterintuitive. I believe more and more that the real world runs counter to our intuitions (as useful as they may be) and that I am improved somehow by questioning or at least being suspicious of my certainties.
Ken
"if no one asks me, i know what it is
but
if you ask me to explain what it is, i know not"

St Augustine's riddle re Time

nothing new in this book but it is a compreshensive collection of ideas and thoughts on the topic of Time. I especially like the last chapter.

William Boyle
So, it turns out that *nobody* knows what time is! –
No wonder that advances in physics have balked! –
It seems that most time scientists have come to the conclusion that “time” is actually a psychological illusion…
(...Are they pulling our leg???)
Grumpus
Robert
The author does a good job presenting the various theories about time in a very engaging manner. I don't think I can agree with the consensus opinion, but it seems that he doesn't either. It is a very thought provoking book.
Jefferson F
The title doesn't lie, this book is about time. How we understand time, how different cultures observe time. If your the kind of person who is curious about most things this book is for you. Its a fascinating read.
Dennis Willingham
Basic discussion of the nature of time and the different theories of time. Difficult to follow in spots, but to be expected when trying to explain rather esoteric physics.
Erroll Treslan
The future is now, the past is the present .... and I am confused. I really enjoyed this book.
Shane
Interesting overview of how physicists, philosophers, and ordinary people view time.
Alan
Great complete overview of the current state of knowledge about time.
User3162
More philosophy than psychics, but still recommended!
Claude Bertout
Voir la revue des "Tactiques de Chronos" d'Etienne Klein.
H Wesselius
An easy read which really didn't tell much.
Ann
an easy way to delve into physics and philosophy while looking at the tao of time.
  • Eating the Sun: How Plants Power the Planet
  • Curiosity: How Science Became Interested in Everything
  • About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution
  • Being No One: The Self-Model Theory of Subjectivity
  • Chasing Venus: The Race to Measure the Heavens
  • A Stubbornly Persistent Illusion: The Essential Scientific Works of Albert Einstein
  • The Hidden Face of God: Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth
  • Head Trip
  • The Theory of Clouds
I'm a science journalist, author, and broadcaster based in Toronto, Canada. I've written three books so far: My first book, Universe on a T-Shirt, looked at the quest for a unified theory of physics, while In Search of Time explored the physics and philosophy of time.

I'm very excited about my new book, The Science of Shakespeare, to be published this April! This time I turn the clock back 400 year...more
More about Dan Falk...
Universe on A T-Shirt: The Quest for the Theory of Everything The Science of Shakespeare: A New Look at the Playwright's Universe