Start by marking “Fire the Sky: Book Two of Contact: The Battle for America” as Want to Read:
Fire the Sky: Book Two of Contact: The Battle for America

Fire the Sky: Book Two of Contact: The Battle for America (Contact: The Battle for America #2)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  34 reviews
New York Times bestselling novelists W. Michael and Kathleen O’Neal Gear have long been considered the foremost chroniclers of early Native American life. Now, in a critically acclaimed, sweeping new series, they recreate the conflict-filled years following one of the first European invasions. Seen through the eyes of a courageous pair of Native Americans, Fire ...more
Published February 15th 2011 by Pocket Books (first published February 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fire the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire the Sky

Shawn Spjut
Battle for America: Fire the Sky; W. Michael Gear & Kathleen O'Neal Gear, 2010; Gallery Books

Fire in the sky is the second novel in Gear & Gear's "The Battle for America" series. Just as with the first book "Coming of the Storm", the authors have done a remarkable job of drawing this reader into the social, political, and geo-agricultural life of the Native American Indian. And even though the book is a fictional archeology of the history and culture of Indigenous Americans during the ti
Evie
***Originally published to: Bookish Blog | YA&Adult Reviews, Author Interviews, Guest Posts, News and Giveaways! @_@~

Fire The Sky is the second book in Contact: Battle For America series by the bestselling author duo, W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear. Just like the first book in the trilogy, it delivers breathtaking action, gripping plot developments, well-drawn characters, impressive abundance of historical details and, most of all, an excellent, profoundly meaningful story. Captiva
Eileen Souza
Fire the Sky is the second book written by the Gears in their new First Contact series. I've been reading the Gears for 18 years now, love so many of their books, but have recently been disappointed by several - mostly due to the requirements of their publisher to keep the pages down and split up manuscripts. This was the first book that they had written knowing that they would be trapped to under 400 pages, and I was much more satisfied with it. It was gripping to the point that I was itching t ...more
Sue
This is the second in a series of three historical novels on the first contact that the Native Americans had with the Europeans--in this case DeSoto, someone I would like to call an evil Spaniard, but unfortunately he and his tactics were all too common.

This is a fantastic novel, that is well-researched and well-written, as are all of the Gears' novels. It's a story of the superior technology of the Spaniards, their treacherous activities, including, rape, murder, mutilations, as well as, the po
The second in the trilogy. Interesting read on the "early" discovery of America and how it affected the native Americans.
Rick
Good story about the early contacts of native americans with the Spanish, from the native American perspective.
Roxie
Always a good read by these two authors that write about historical American Natives...loved it
Erin Bright
Loved the history lesson. The drama of trying to bring one man down and the tolls it takes!
Vic
Fire the Sky picks right up where Coming of the Storm ends. Black Shell and Pearl Hand are still in hot pursuit of Hernando De Soto, trying to figure out how to stop his ruthless destruction of the Indian nations standing in the way of his pursuit of gold.

The Gears are especially good at pointing out that the historical reference to Native Americans as savages is a misnomer. The series reveals extensive Native American cultures and civilizations with thriving economies that included active trade
Theresa
Fire the Sky (Contact: The Battle for America, #2)
By W. Michael Gear, Kathleen O'Neal Gear
"It amazes me reading stories by these authors, the research and information that they bring to life with dynamic characters, conflicts and changes in the North American world make history worth learning.
As you read this powerful story, you find that the technology, and war capacity of the Spanish was not why they gained such a foot hold in the new world, as they wandered throughout the country, destroying
Theresa

Fire the Sky (Contact: The Battle for America, #2)
Gear, W. Michael
Gear, Kathleen O'neal Gear

As you read this powerful story, you find that the technology, and war capacity of the Spanish was not why they gained such a foot hold in the new world, as they wandered through out the country, destroy
Neil Hanson
Another really outstanding book in this series. For folks (like myself) who love historical fiction, this series is a wonderful trip back into a possible life at the time DeSoto first landed in Florida. The authors paint a picture of a pretty advanced and well-populated SE United States at the time. Since they're also in the business of understanding and knowing about past cultures, I'm assuming they're painting an accurate picture of what things might have been like at the time.

They also do a r
Literary
Mandy's Review:

In Coming of the Storm, we were introduced to the Native American Indians' fight against the threat to their world: Hernando de Soto. Black Shell realized that the newcomers' ideas of gods and the afterlife were hugely different from the Indians'. Sadly, to the detriment of thousands of warriors, Black Shell also realized that De Soto's military tactics were much stronger than anything he had seen before.

Being Horned Serpent's servant, Black Shell is tasked with notifying the Indi
Elizabeth Scheller Williams
I remember being taught about de Soto in Catholic grade school and being smacked when I questioned bringing 'God' to the ignorant savages. I wondered if white greed was a better reason for de Soto's actions than the mission to bring Jesus to the 'devil worshiping heathens' and got smacked a couple of more times. I am >SO< glad that the Gear's brought this part of American history to light.
Allison
Great follow-up to Coming of the Storm. The series follows Black Shell and Pearl Hand, as they rally people to fight Spanish invaders.

The depictions of Native American life are fascinating and well-researched. The books are wonderful glimpses into a bit of history that really doesn't show up much. Unfortunately, the Spanish antagonists are very one-dimensional. We know they're bad and are looking for gold, but that's about it.
Matt D
This was an exceptionally well written book about the earliest periods of contact between the Native Americans and the invading Spaniards. W. Michael and Kathleen O'Neil Gear put an exceptional amount of research into their writing, and it shows. The story is s continuation from the first novel in the series, and follows the Chicaza trader Black Shell as he, Pearl Hand, and Blood Thorn harass the army of Hernando de Soto across what will become the Southeastern United States. It is touching at s ...more
Edie
Here I go again with one of these pre-history type books! I really like these stories by the Gears! This is the second in the Contact: Battle for America trilogy and tells about the nativity of the Native Americans when deSoto arrived with his band of bad guys and the horrors that they endured at his hands. DeSoto was the badest of the bad guys for sure but in these stories there is a small group of NAs that dogs him through the South determined to save their people and their way of life. Unfort ...more
J. Ewbank
This book by the Gear's is in their tradition of informating you about Indian culture and history through interesting stories. The characters in the plot of this novel and very believable and ones you come to like very quickly. The plot is strong and interesting. This is the second in the series and I am waiting for the next one.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Renee
This was another excellent novel in the "First Contact" series. A great deal of research goes into each novel written by the Gears and their story-telling ability is par excellence. There are several strands in each novel masterfully woven together, all based on historical data. Colorful details based on culture, geography, and human emotion all combine for addictive reading of historical fiction.
Linda
I enjoy the Gear's writing and this book only stands to support that. It's been some time since I read book one of this series and, yet, I was right back into it almost from page 1. Looking forward to finding time to finish out the series, I think (though if my powers of prediction and what I am reading as foreshadowing are accurate, I may not be happy with the finale).
Bruce
This is the second volume of a trilogy and the review applies to the whole. This is what H. G. Wells tried to write about in War of the Worlds. The Gears have managed to do the whole thing of native-alien war in a convincing and enthralling fashion. Highly recommended to students of Southeastern anthropology and fans of speculative history.
Wellington City Libraries
I enjoyed this very much. i had read book 1 some time ago but could not find book 2 until your library purchased the book. I enjoy historical fiction more so of it is based on a person or events. This series has both. Both the authors write very good booksabout the American Indians. I will now after I read the series read about them.
Sherry
As usual, the Gears have left me wanting the next installment in this wonderful series of books about DeSoto's invasion of the south.

Black Shell and Pearl Hand continue on their quest to rid their homeland of the Monster DeSoto and Pearl Hand comes face-to-face with her past.
Sue
Once again, I raced through book two of this historical fiction. DeSoto's troups again are gruelish but loosing the battle. Not sure I like the style of the main character talking to the reader.. New to the Gear's writing style. Still, I like the books and series.
Elisabeth
I love the Gears, together and separately, but this series has been a little more difficult to read. I do love the characters and I did learn a lot, but it didn't grab me as much as their other books.
Trista
keeps you hoping that black shell will get de soto soon.but if you know your native american history you know it doesnt happen in this book.good read.cant wait for the last one.
Debby
LOVE these authors and every one of their books. I've read so many/most of them I begin to forget what I've read and what I haven't. I love this genre of books!
Mary
These books are amazing. Black Shell continues to make me laugh out loud while also bringing to life the horror that native Americans endured. Incredible read.
Heather
Like the first of the series, this was a page turner. I've had to work hard to put it out of my mind in order to wait for the next book.
  • It Wakes in Me (Black Falcon Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Drum Speak (Kwani, #3)
  • The Sacred Stones (The First Americans, #5)
  • Brother Wind
  • Song of the Wolf
  • Warrior Woman: The Exceptional Life Story of Nonhelema, Shawnee Indian Woman Chief
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the fam ...more
More about W. Michael Gear...

Contact: The Battle for America (3 books)
  • Coming of the Storm (Contact: The Battle for America, #1)
  • A Searing Wind: Book Three of Contact: The Battle for America
People of the Fire (North America's Forgotten Past, #2) People of the Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past, #1) People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past, #3) People of the River (North America's Forgotten Past, #4) People of the Lakes (North America's Forgotten Past, #6)