Start by marking “Yakuza Moon: The True Story of a Gangster's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Yakuza Moon: The True Story of a Gangster's Daughter

Yakuza Moon: The True Story of a Gangster's Daughter

In this lively and inspiring adaptation by a rising star in the manga world, and with illustrations by a leading artist, Shoko Tendo's powerful story has been recreated. Yakuza Moon is a heartrending and eye-opening account of her experiences growing up in Japan's gangster society.
Born into the family of a wealthy yakuza boss, Shoko Tendo lived her early years in luxury.
Published July 1st 2011 by Kodansha

To ask other readers questions about Yakuza Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yakuza Moon

Courtney
A fascinating graphic memoir of a woman who has lived her whole life under the shadow of organized crime. I cannot compare it to the actual memoir, as I didn't even know about it until I stumbled upon this graphic novel. Still, it does pack a punch. Shoko's life is frightening and brutal and yet she finds ways to keep herself afloat. I have always wondered what life must be like for the women who are, by extension, part of the Yakuza families. Unsurprisingly, it's not too good. Overall, this is ...more
Tammy
Mar 07, 2016 Tammy rated it liked it
This is the true story of Shoko Tendo. She was born into a life of luxury as her father was a powerful mob boss. In Japan these groups are known as Yakuza. However, when he father was sent to prison the family feel into debt. When their father returned home he had become a mean violent drunk and he never reclaimed any power in the Yakuza or any of the wealth that went with that status.

As a young teen Tendo was bullied by her classmates and feel in with her older sisters gang. Tendo became a pro
Ainun Nazrin
It's actually 2.5*.
I have this idea that Shoko-san's autobiography is as interesting as Yankumi's in Gokusen (I know it's a fiction!). However I thought that her life will be kind of different than non-yakuzas - that she got proper training in self-defence or at least her father brought her up in yakuza education. But, none I could find in this manga. Maybe her book is different?
Nur Hanifah
Umm....A real story which was full of description that you totally understood what was the situation was like, feeling,... all your senses come to live. I read it once and it really made a deep impression,I still can remember a number of parts in the book...read it 4 years back
Dean
Dec 31, 2012 Dean rated it liked it
The manga adaptation of Shoko Tendo's 'Yakuza Moon' is a pulpy, purple memoir that has little to do with the Yakuza and more a recollection of bad boyfriends and other such unsavory characters. Michiru Morikawa's artwork is excellent and the highlight of this one.
Sara
Sep 03, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok

I think I would like to read the full version of this, the manga version is all experience, no depth or description, or scene setting. The art is ok, but with such historically rich material to work with and build on it certainly could have been better.
Jul 05, 2015 168811 rated it liked it
I started it expecting the usual memoir of a drug addict similar to Christiane F.'s Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo, but it turned out to be a lot more self-critical and sober than that. I finished it with a great deal of respect for the author.
Nina
Oct 17, 2015 Nina rated it liked it
Great work for Manga fans. The artwork is brilliant! Though, if you are interested or want to find out (more) about Shoko Tendo’s life, I recommend to invest a little time and read the real deal!
Martha
Mar 28, 2015 Martha rated it really liked it
Very interesting autobiography. I'm always interested in Japanese books since I lived there.
Beth
Jun 10, 2012 Beth rated it liked it
Quick read. Decent graphics. Engaging enough to make me want to read the original work.
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Vlad Vlad
Vlad Vlad rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Kalyar Nyo
Kalyar Nyo marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Jewelz
Jewelz added it
Sep 12, 2016
Nguyen Thuy
Nguyen Thuy marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Christopher Frattina
Christopher Frattina marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Delicea Yuan
Delicea Yuan rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Larasestu Hadisumarinda
Larasestu Hadisumarinda marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Meyke Liechandra
Meyke Liechandra is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2016
Mpoushoura
Mpoushoura marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Jamie Grieve
Jamie Grieve rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Amrita
Amrita rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
joeyr
joeyr added it
Aug 20, 2016
Hungry Letters
Hungry Letters marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Tommy Anansi
Tommy Anansi marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
x-shootingstar-x
x-shootingstar-x rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Caridad
Caridad marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Kavita
Kavita marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
  • Uncle Al Capone: The Untold Story from Inside His Family
  • Animal: The Bloody Rise and Fall of the Mob's Most Feared Assassin
  • Monster: My True Story
  • Tokyo Underworld: The Fast Times and Hard Life of an American Gangster in Japan
  • Eliot Ness: The Rise and Fall of an American Hero
  • J. Edgar Hoover: The Man and the Secrets
  • Ponzi's Scheme: The True Story of a Financial Legend
  • Last Chance to Eat: The Fate of Taste in a Fast Food World
  • Hotel: since 2079
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 8 (The Drifting Classroom)
  • Best of Rivals: Joe Montana, Steve Young, and the Inside Story behind the NFL's Greatest Quarterback Controversy
  • Sanctuary, Vol. 1
  • Death by Pad Thai: And Other Unforgettable Meals
  • Canadian History for Dummies
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 6 (Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, #6)
  • Joni: The Creative Odyssey of Joni Mitchell
  • The Beatles: Fifty Fabulous Years (Enhanced Edition)
  • The Magic Of Awareness
Sean Michael Wilson is a comic book writer from Scotland, who now lives in Japan. He has had more than a dozen books published with a variety of US, UK and Japanese publishers. Although also writing 'western' style graphic novels, such as adaptations of classical novels, he often works with Japanese and Chinese artists on manga style books. He is currently writing books for big Japanese publisher ...more
More about Sean Michael Wilson...