Start by marking “Voice of the Lost (Medair, #2)” as Want to Read:
Voice of the Lost (Medair, #2)

Voice of the Lost (Medair #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  413 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Medair an Rynstar wants only to leave. Five hundred years after the Empire she served fell to the Ibisian invaders, Medair has betrayed her Emperor's memory by helping the descendants of the invaders. She knows she will be reviled, that to thousands she is hero-become-villain. Her one goal is to return to the hidden cave where she slept out of time, and hope that she wakes ...more
Published September 1st 2011

To ask other readers questions about Voice of the Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voice of the Lost

Pauline Ross
Jan 04, 2012 Pauline Ross rated it it was amazing
This is the second part of the duology begun in 'The Silence of Medair'. It demonstrates the greatest strength of self-publishing, in that it allows the author the freedom to break away from the tired old tropes and traditions, and create something stunningly different. This is a wonderful, character-driven story with great depth.

The plot is too complicated to summarise briefly - suffice it to say that 'wild magic' has been let loose on the world, with strange and unpredictable consequences. Thi
Lark
Oct 11, 2013 Lark rated it did not like it
I gave a decent rating to the first book, but I cannot give this book anything besides one star. I close this book feeling utterly annoyed.

This is the romance book, straight up. It's what all the romance lovers wanted from book one where Illukar and Medair declare their love for each other and get together. Oh yes, there's some vague plot in the background, but not really. It's mostly about these two. Who could have possibly guessed that a convenient fog would leave these two together on thei
Petra
Jan 06, 2016 Petra rated it it was ok
The first book is brilliant, the sequel is a mess.
Wyrdness
Dec 30, 2014 Wyrdness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't like this quite as much as The Silence of Medair because I thought there was an excessive amount of rehashing the same topics. I get that learning to let go of the past and try and forgive is a difficult and long drawn out process, but in a story there is only so much of that I can take before I want to yell "I know! I get it! Can you stop beating me over the head with it now?" However, I did like the ending. It wasn't really a Disney "Love Conquers All" type conclusion, which I think w ...more
Melissa McShane
See my review of The Silence of Medair for full review.
Férial
Mar 08, 2015 Férial rated it really liked it
I won't pretend that I have really understood the process of the time shifts and their consequences (like having memories of 2 different lives and a physical appearance slightly changed) and the workings of wild magic. And I am not sure I agree with the Illukar-Leskar weird thing and how Medair dealt with it.

But it was a good read. One that even brought a big lump in my throat at some decisive point of the story.

Very different from the Touchstone series even if the main characters (Cassandra and
Mara
May 12, 2012 Mara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
4 1\2 stars
self-published

I enjoyed the book slightly less than the first one. Maybe because I read them back to back one after the other, but the fears, doubts and insecurities Medair felt were the same and kept repeating. Mind you, given the choices and the actions she made, is perfectly understandable. I might not want to read about them, but they rang true, real.

Compared to the Silence of Medair, this story centres on romance, but the political is still very much centre-stage. The book is d
Intisar Khanani
Jun 13, 2015 Intisar Khanani rated it really liked it
A fast-paced conclusion to the Medair duology, with more than a couple plot-twists that surprised me. I love these two books for the premise, the issues, and the world-building. The pacing suffered a bit in the first book from the need for extensive flashbacks; not so this second book. Definitely a recommended read.
Valerie
Jan 10, 2016 Valerie rated it it was amazing
How am I meant to go on with my life after finishing this series? No, seriously—how?

Full disclosure: this book is WEIRD. If you hated the plot twist at the end of the last book (I wasn't a huge fan but my love for everything else outstripped it) you will feel some annoyance with the random magical happenstance in this book. But honestly, all I can think is "who cares?" Every turn in the road led to cool situations and weird moral quandaries and I was in it for the long haul. Plus, it's been a lo
Mo
Okay, maybe someday I'll get around to writing out full reviews of all of Höst's books, but today is not that day. I'm tired, for one thing, and for another, I kind of want to go read another of her books posthaste. So, here's a slapdash "review" of Voice of the Lost, with mentions of the novel that precedes it, The Silence of Medair.

Here's the thing: I think Höst's tendencies as a writer align so well with the things I like best as a reader (engaging characters; interesting and original world-b
Hélène
Aug 13, 2014 Hélène rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
This really is one book in two parts, so better to get the second one on hold. I could say it's an interesting reflection on responsability, loyalty, racism and love but it's a very incarnate reflection. We approach these themes through Medair's thoughts, feelings and actions. She sometimes seems to be running in circles but the course of action takes a very short time and, as a matter of fact, her adaptation is fast.

What annoyed me was the historical timing. A jump of five hundred years is way
Mel
Feb 15, 2014 Mel rated it really liked it
I loved this duology. High fantasy, but very much a romance at heart. If romance is not your cup of tea, then run, do not walk, away from this duo. Think the Curse of Chalion, and Paladin of Souls and embrace the total joy of "ok there is no logical way this can end well for anyone" and yet it works. With care to avoid spoilers, I feel there was enough foreshadowing and ambiguity in the way Medair and the invaders had interacted to explain why she was able to come to a pretty unique place of tro ...more
Jynt
Sep 20, 2013 Jynt rated it it was ok
I don't quite get it. What an amazing blend of poorly explained sequences. And what? Ieskar? I don't know..
Frida Fantastic (book blogger)
(Cross-posted from Adarna SF)

Voice of the Lost is the perfect sequel to The Silence of Medair. The first book is a political fantasy that’s epic in scope, and Voice continues to develop the themes of colonialism, empire, and sacrifice and a controversial romance is set in motion. Medair chooses to side with the descendants of her invaders while facing an oncoming apocalypse brought on by wild magic. Talk about raising the stakes!

I loved this book, and it has the strengths of The Silence of Medai
Cheryl M-M
Jun 09, 2012 Cheryl M-M rated it really liked it
This is the follow up to The Silence of Medair. The last chapter of the first book revealed the true identity and purpose of Medair to the people around her. This second book starts off with Medair making a choice that will change the world around her forever.
It is nearly impossible to say anything about the unfolding story within this book, as it will give away twist and turns, which are best left for the reader to discover.
I think this book doesn't work well as a stand alone novel, unlike the
Lexie
Feb 05, 2012 Lexie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prelim Review: First off, I want to say that the attack on Medair in the first chapter I fully expected to happen in the first book. I was more or less predicting the person would strike out against her, for the reasons that Medair concludes (much later in the book) and was only marginally surprised by it. Well mostly that it was so sloppily handled considering the source.

I think that I enjoyed the book a bit less than the first one. Maybe because I read them back to back in rapid succession, a
Michelle Dee
I wrote up a list of books for my friend to read along with what I thought of said book (I know, I'm the best sort of friend there is). I realised I hadn't written a proper review for a lot of the books, even though they were amongst my favourites, so I figured I'd just do a sneaky copy and paste as a stop-gap until I eventually got around to writing a proper review.

This book was really original and fascinating and the ship oh the SHIP! Definitely one to add on your list if you’re in a fantasy b
Bigal-sa
Mar 28, 2015 Bigal-sa rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
This book was nowhere nearly as good as the first book. It was more of a political romance, with a bit of magic thrown in, than the adventure story of the first.

The author was also not consistent with magic fatigue.

It would probably be better to read the omnibus version rather than two separate books.
Terri
May 30, 2016 Terri rated it it was ok
I thought the first book was amazing. so I stayed up all night to read the second book. it was a flaming hot mess. yes it was nice to have the romance but the weird three some thing? forgive me but that felt like a Stephanie Meyer move. I have so much to say but whatever. just read it.
Catherine
Jan 24, 2015 Catherine rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book too, but I have to admit to getting rather tired of Medair's misery. I understood why she felt like that - but it got rather tiring to read about it all through the book.
An interesting ending I did not see coming also. A good read.
Christine
Aug 13, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing
Kitty
Jun 27, 2014 Kitty rated it did not like it
I lived the first if these books, but this was a mess. It went from being a great straight up fantasy to a badly written romance that ended in such a creepy way, I couldn't be rid of it soon enough. What a disappointment.
Jenny Koch
The second book in the duology focused more on the romantic storyline. While I enjoyed the book as a whole, I have mixed feelings about the ending. While it is a HEA, it was...rather strange. I wasn't exactly thrilled with it.
Liz
Jan 25, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 21st-century
Yeah, well, after I enjoyed the first book so much, I wasn't very well going to stop?

Especially not with the romantic subplot unresolved. Seriously, who do you think I am?
Mike
Aug 19, 2015 Mike rated it it was ok
DNF at 33%. It was probably a mistake to read this book, when I was barely able to follow the first one. I wouldn't normally abandon a book by an author I actually really like, but this would've been just a waste of time to keep reading - I barely understood what was going on. Andrea K. Höst is a great author, and you should really read And All the Stars and Stray. But this series isn't her best.
Angela
Jun 29, 2015 Angela rated it it was ok
Not as good as the first book but it ended the story on a reasonably positive note, however strange things turned out.
linhtalinhtinh
Jan 26, 2014 linhtalinhtinh rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
This series is a pleasant surprise for me. I like it more than Host's other more popular books. Perhaps because I always slightly prefer fantasy to sci-fi.

This is a story of a woman's quest to deal with war, races, power, loyalty, love, and hatred. Though the book is not that deeply profound, and morals are not that well delivered (as, compared to the Lumatere chronicle by Melina Marchetta, though it is quite a high bar to pass), Medair is still certainly a good series to read. 3.5 stars to be
Elaine Cristina Oliveira
Feb 22, 2013 Elaine Cristina Oliveira rated it did not like it
This is what happens when an author tries to extend what should not be extended.

Seriously, had the war and romantic interests been resolved in the first book - it would take no more than fifty pages - it would have been memorable.

As it is... it is forgetable, at best.

This conclusion disappoints for turning to magic to change the whole story set - and thus resolve unsovable plot flaws - more than once and by trying to make the romantic ending please everyone.

Please, Ms. Höst. Remember that less i
William
Jun 02, 2014 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2014
Short enough book that it almost doesn't make sense that it and the first volume were separated. It continues right were we formerly left off and sets about resolving the conflict. That's a backdrop to what is in essence a really sweet love story.
Alina White
Dec 30, 2014 Alina White added it
Shelves: 2014
Disappointed. :(
  • Taming the Forest King
  • Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4)
  • Allegiance (River of Souls, #3)
  • The Trouble with Kings
  • Havenstar
  • Pure Magic
  • The Flesh and the Devil
  • Steelflower
  • The Light of Kerrindryr
  • Sword of the Falcon (The Falcons Saga, #2)
  • The Ritual (Theft and Sorcery, #1)
  • Watersmeet (Twelve Baronies #1)
  • My Love, My Enemy
  • Binding Spell (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms #3)
Born in Sweden and raised in Australia, Andrea K Höst currently lives in Sydney. She writes fantasy, but wanders occasionally into science fantasy.

Her novel "The Silence of Medair" was a finalist for the 2010 Aurealis Award for best fantasy novel.
More about Andrea K. Höst...

Medair (2 books)
  • The Silence of Medair (Medair, #1)

“Such an Ibisian scene: both their faces were formal masks, their posture correct, pain kept inside where it cut deeper.” 7 likes
“Can you truly tell me, you with your heart leaping over itself in fright, that you can be my lover? My friend and helpmeet, my comfort and passion? Because I would not accept less.” 5 likes