Growing Up Gracie

Growing Up Gracie

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  30 reviews
As the fifth of six kids, it's sometimes hard for Gracie Fremont to see what makes her special. But with the help of friends, family, and her faith, Gracie discovers that even the most ordinary girl can do extraordinary things. Told with sweetness, humor, and heart, this unique coming-of-age story will resonate with readers of all ages.
Published November 8th 2010 by Cedar Fort, Incorporated/C F I Distribution (first published November 1st 2010)

Julie
This was such a fun read! This book was written by a friend in our ward (and no, that is not why I'm giving the great review). :)

I loved the voice of Gracie and the antics of growing up in a small rural town. I enjoyed watching relationships develop (or fizzle, as is the case) over time. I laughed out loud some of the time and got teary others. It felt very real.

I don't read much LDS fiction -- I'm not sure exactly why except maybe because it makes me a little uncomfortable to read fictional cha...more
Rachael Anderson
Growing up Gracie is charm in a book. It was like reading a modern day Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea all rolled into one. Filled with humor, depth, strong bonds of friendship, and yes, romance (my favorite), Maggie takes the reader on an adventure so real and poignant, it will make you wish you grew up in a small town.
Kathryn
I just happened to pick up this book at the library and I'm so glad that I did. At first it was a little slow moving getting the background of Gracie's life in podunk Wyoming and the every day happenings of 6 year olds, but it got way better. Real life decisions came into play when middle school and high school was real life. Lessons were learned, testimonies were tested and found. Through it all Liza, Gracie, and Chelsea stayed friends. what a true blessing friends are, strong, supportive fami...more
Deborah Andreasen
Gracie is a middle child in a big family, trying to find her way and make an impression. She’s painfully plain, or so she thinks, and her crowning jewel is her beautiful eyebrows. Growing up in Cody, Wyoming, Gracie realizes that even in her ordinary life, she can be extraordinary.

I loved this book. It’s pretty relaxed, but not boring. The beginning, with it’s strange timeline, threw me off just a bit, but once I settled in, it was great.

Gracie is a very real character with very real flaws. Sh...more
Heather
Enter to win a copy at http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com ends 12/24/10

See the full review plus and excerpt at Fire and Ice http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com/2...

My first impression when I got this book in the mail was that this is my kind of cover! I LOVE it, as a sucker for photography of old trucks and vignetted edges. Plus the image fits perfectly with the story. I think this is one of the best covers I have ever seen from Cedar Fort's design team. Major score for author Maggie Fechner!

Th...more
Aydrea
I would really say this is a 4.5 rating.

Anyway I really liked this book. Gracie is a great character because she is easy to relate to and she is very likable. The book chronicles Gracie's life and it was so fun to read about all the things that happened to her and how she dealt with everything. There were friend, boy, and faith issues throughout the book and I found myself relating to Gracie and comparing what she did with what I might do. While I am not LDS I did appreciate reading about her st...more
Michael Knudsen
Maggie Fechner's story, which follows young Gracie from about kindergarten into her early twenties, is a gem of a tale. Told with wit and wisdom, it's much closer to real life than most of the action-thriller-suspense things we get caught up in these days. The things that impact and traumatize a young girl may seem trivial to many readers, but to Gracie they are her life. The author makes it easy for the reader, of whatever age or gender, to live through and experience the pangs of adolescence a...more
Loni
This was a very fun read about a Mormon girl who grew up in Wyoming. I am a Mormon girl who grew up in Wyoming so there were a lot of things I could relate to the main character with.

Grace (the MC) would even tell you it's churchy, so there you go. We warned you.

It had me giggling one minute and tearing up the next. And the whole time I'm wondering. Who is THE guy?

Is it the brother's friend, Justin? Is it the popular boy, Cade? Maybe it's the nerdy boy Quentin?!
Jennie
I almost stopped reading when nothing happened by the fifth or sixth chapter, but I make myself read at least fifty pages of books I receive for review consideration so I kept going. I wound up getting interested and finished the book. This is a character driven book with very little plot. It's just the story of an ordinary little girl growing up from about six to twenty something. The author is very good at projecting realism into her writing and the book is amazingly free of copy errors. It's...more
Mary Elizabeth Morton
Authentic & beautifully written characters you can't help but love. Uplifting coming of age story about a young girl, her wonderful family, friends & religion that help her become a wonderful, happy & successful woman.
JadeMary:)
Wow. I loved this book. I personally am not religious, so I was slightly concerned that the religious references in this book were going to be overwhelming to me, but I eventually found out that they weren't. The author, Maggie Fechner balanced all the issues mentioned in this book splendidly. From Gracie's love life, friends and family to her religion and the struggles of growing up and having to go out of your comfort zone in order to meet new people and experience new things. It was perfect....more
Aimee
In this book we literally grow up with Gracie. It was a sweet book and well written. There were many things to relate to in Gracie's growing up experiences with school, home, friends and love. It flowed like a slow moving river, easy. There was nothing exciting or riveting. It wasn't a page turner where you just had to know what happened next. The characters were real and believable though and just like people I have known in my "growing up" years.

LDS fiction
Gayle
I seem to be reading more LDS fiction recently. I loved this sweet story that follows an "average" girl growing up in a large family in a small Wyoming town from about kindergarten through her early twenties. It certainly wasn't a plot-driven novel -- no page-turning action -- but very much character driven. I loved that it was so realistic and dealt with issues such as friends, family and faith. Definitely a book I hope my kids will read when they get a bit older.
AnnaMay
This wasn't as 'witty' and fast-paced as some LDS fiction. I liked the relaxed pace. I liked coming to love Wyoming through her descriptions. I really related to the main characters and liked how her family had some inconsistencies with the 'perfect' family sometimes depicted in LDS settings.

Nice book. I hope she writes more.
This was a fun read--especially since I know the author! I was a little put off by the writing style at first, until I realized it was in the perfect "voice" to be read aloud, as if Gracie was telling her story rather than writing it. (This should really be made into an audiobook!)
Annissa
This book for me started out really slow and the prologue just made the start of the book confusing. Once I got into a few chapters past the characters Jr. High experiences, the book really started to get interesting. The ending was great!
Yvonne swinson
Really enjoyed this. It's a perfect read for a young adult. Her writing style is fluid, easy-to-read, and I enjoyed the setting and premise of the book. She deals with some tough topics gracefully - teen pregnancy, death, and so forth.
Barbara Short
I love when every-day life is inspirational. Gracie is an ordinary LDS girl who struggles and yet grows in her faith. When I can close a book and hand it to my pre-teen daughter without any hesitation, I am a happy mother.
Debbie
This was a good book. It is the story of a young girl as she grows up. It follows her through her different school years and the things she and her two best friends go through. I really liked this story.
Kaylee
Read this book. Seriously. I loved it. I picked it up this morning, and then after I put my kids to bed tonight I thought I'd read a few more chapters and ended up not being able to put it down.
Heather
This is your typical Mormon fluff book, but I really enjoyed it! The writing was very well done and I loved the characters and the story. Fun read.
Beth
My friend wrote this book. I loved it! Kept my interest throughout the story, feeling along with Gracie her life experiences.
Tfox100
One of those books to enjoy, but really very predictable. A good one to throw in when you need some light reading.
Marian Kaye
I think it could be added to the shelf that's labeled Mormon schmaltz. It was a quick read and enjoyable.
Janice Wright
This was a very fast paced novel, I really lived it! Will definitely keep it on my shelf, its great!!
Anna
This was a fun read. I enjoyed the characters and writing. Definately worth reading.
Arlene Stokes
This was a fun and quick book about a LDS girl growing up. I enjoyed it.
Mindy
Great, sweet story. Enjoyed it. Gracie is a great character.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hi Readers!

I am a new author with my first novel Growing Up Gracie recently published by Cedar Fort Publishing. I love to read historical fiction, romance, and family saga; and I don't need a happy ending to be satisfied.
I love to write too. My second novel was recently submitted to my publisher, and I am anxiously awaiting to hear from them.
More about Maggie Fechner...