Start by marking “After Their Vows” as Want to Read:
After Their Vows

After Their Vows

Broken vows don’t necessarily mean a broken marriage…

Angie de Calvhos meant every word of the vows she shared with husband Roque at the altar. Pity he didn’t return her sincerity… Expecting happy-ever-after, instead Angie found herself going through a mortifyingly public separation!

Paperback, Harlequin Presents, #3001, 192 pages
Published July 2011 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about After Their Vows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Their Vows

Marajean
Apr 08, 2011 Marajean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Alex is The Romance Fox
I enjoy most of Michelle Reid's books but this one just didn't work for me.
Angie, a former supermodel is a bit of a cardboard heroine. Yes, she's gorgeous, cares for her stupid brother and is still in love with her husband - the gorgeous feckless Roque. He's a real jerk in my opinion...what kind of man goes to fashion shows and involves himself only with models....right!!!!!! His behaviour towards Angie is so not there.....i wanted to hit him on the head.....
She let him walk all over her...what
StMargarets
Supermodel orphaned heroine, saddled with a horrible teenage brother, marries billionaire hero. It all goes south fairly quickly because she is torn between paying attention to her jealous brother or her jealous husband. Hero threatens to have an affair with someone else if she doesn't put him first and she thinks that's happened when she sees him kissing one of her friends from the modeling world. The "friend" also taunts her about the affair.

Heroine is devastated and disappears for a few month
RLA
Jun 16, 2011 RLA rated it it was ok
This is the story of Angie and Roque, they have been separated for a year after it was reported in the press that Roque had slept with another woman. Angie, a former model, has spent most off her adult life raising her younger brother and fighting to keep them out of debt. After she had married Roque she constantly felt torn between her troublesome brother, her career and Roque. Deeply heartbroken by Roque's betrayal she had retreated for a while then quit modelling to take up a regular job with ...more
Sneha Jaiswal
Apr 15, 2017 Sneha Jaiswal rated it did not like it
lousy hero!!the hero has every intention of cheating on his wife and goes half way into cheating by kissing another woman passionately and then has a change of mind!!and all this because the poor hero always wants to be the centre of the universe and couldnt tolerate when heroine gives importance to her brother !!wow what a crybaby!!I think he needs a doting nanny not a wife!the hero blaming the heroine for straying and heroine clamly accepting it was just too much.moreover I hate the double sta ...more
bookjunkie
Dec 01, 2016 bookjunkie rated it liked it
Shelves: harlequins
Angie was utterly incapable of dealing with her thieving brother, and no wonder, being a wimpy ostrich coward. When faced with a problem, she's totally "cool" and "English" (translation: da Nile ain't just a river in Egypt). I didn't hate her, but her inability to handle her younger brother in a remotely intelligent way was exasperating, and she really pushed the "fragile, breakable, wounded" thing pretty damn far, although granted she had good cause to want to protect herself.

Surprisingly, I li
Kiki
Apparently he was faithful.
Even though he thought about cheating, almost went down on the other woman on public and made out with her in a way that qualifies for grounds for arrest for indecent behaviour.
Because he didn't stick his tool in apparently that's not cheating.
All because heroine had to put her brother before him couple of times! He needs to understand that just because they're married doesn't mean magically he is now the centre of her universe and she'd severe ties with everyone else
willaful
Overwritten, overwrought, yet still boring, who’d have thunk it. There are snippets of an interesting story here, but it’s mostly drowned in endless bickering and accusations.

What I liked: both characters have faults. The breakdown between Roque and Angie’s marriage is partially caused by his threat to be unfaithful -- which Angie refuses to believe he didn’t carry out -- but also by Angie constantly putting her feckless younger brother ahead of her marriage. Roque thinks ruefully about Angie’s
Kate
Jun 18, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
About three-fourths of the way through the book, the hero realizes that they communicate about the wrong things: however, this assumes that they actually communicate about anything. This has to be one of the most infuriating HP couples ever. If they would just talk to each other, give real answers instead of pithy remarks when asked questions, and tell each other the truth, they might actually get along for the first 90% of the book.

I have absolutely no idea why they are even together (apart fro
Tina
Mar 26, 2011 Tina rated it did not like it
I like Michelle Reid's earlier stuff A Question of Prideremains one of my favorites by her because I thought it was quite intelligently written. But this one was really ...ugh.

The husband, Roque, was immature, possessive...all 'stop helping your brother or I will go sleep with another woman.'

The wife Angie was all weepy and pathetic and had the backbone of a noodle.

The younger brother was a user.

Angie left Roque b/c she thinks he cheated on her and disappeared for a year. He wants her back so
Fiona Marsden
Feb 11, 2016 Fiona Marsden rated it really liked it
This is a trope Michelle Reid has done several times with good effect. My favourite is Lost in Love which gave me all the feels. The Man Who Risked it All is similar but with the hero being unfaithful while they were apart which was a bit of a downer.

This story takes up a year after Angie leaves Roque. They were lovers and then married but her younger brother kept causing problems and every time, Angie would choose helping her brother over her loyalty to her husband. She was left with the respon
Missy
Mar 30, 2013 Missy rated it really liked it
A good read.....lots of drama and passion.

One arrogant sexy rich playboy catches sight of lovely sweet model and falls in lust. She keeps turning him down because he is involved with another model. Intrigued he offers his help when she needs it and they talk. Finding out his is not involved with the other woman frees her passion.....they have a wild affair. Being a possessive latin man he needs claim her so he marries her.

Both have fiery tempers which leads to heated verbal exchanges and some pa
Rachel
Apr 19, 2017 Rachel rated it did not like it
I normally enjoy this author but I hated this book. The hero was an arsehole! All he did was hurt her and lie to her, then explain it away like oh well, it's because I'm a man and Portuguese. The heroine forgave him way too quickly, and i absolutely hate it when the trouble-making OW gets a happy ending!!
Romance_reader
Apr 17, 2016 Romance_reader rated it liked it
angst in slow motion (you get very vivid descriptions of exactly how the H and h are feeling/ their body language/ their physical gestures, etc to accompany the dialogue) is what Michelle Reid does best and this book is testament to her talent. It's like watching one of those movies that keep the camera rolling from one scene to the next without a perceptible 'cut'.The intensity between the couple was breathtaking and you see them having some very 'real' fights and misgivings with natural respon ...more
Mo
Apr 26, 2016 Mo rated it did not like it
This guy... wow, this guy. I don't even know what to say. You know you get those people who, no matter their own actions, always see themselves as the wronged party? And they spend their lives being the perpetual victim, whining about how unfair life is and listing their many difficulties like they're the only person to ever suffer? Well here's a good rule of thumb for romance writers: those types don't make good Heroes. They are by their very nature whiny. And whiny guys aren't hot.

(view spoile
Roub
Feb 24, 2013 Roub rated it really liked it
i do not know why the book got so many bad reviews because i really liked it. but then i always enjoy books by michelle. anyway coming back to the book. from the 1st page itself, i really thought roque had been unfaithful. and he was forgiven (by me at least) because it was clear he loved his wife very very much. and infidelity can happen to the best of couples. frustration and anger can drive you to do things like that. but roque did not do it. he had intended but he stopped himself..he was luc ...more
Books&Friends
Mar 01, 2011 Books&Friends rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reid is one 'Presents' author I have a "can't wait for christmas" book wish. I've always had a fascination with Michelle Reid's voice. I can count on an adult/mature take in her highly emotional stories. This one is no different. I loved that her heroine is the one struggling in a very real character arc/growth. The hero with his own issues has the inner strength and love to carry her through her journey. Stellar story telling as always.
My next question is... Michelle when is your next book? I C
Saly
A very average Reid. I expect more from her. No memorable moments like those in her books like The De Santis Marriage, Purchased Wife etc.
Edina Rose
Jun 21, 2012 Edina Rose marked it as d-n-f
I used to like Michelle Reid and I wanted to revisit old love. Suffice to say this is FAR from her best, even FAR from her average. Or my memory is failing me. It's been a long time.
The hero is too rich and too clever and too gorgeous and too strong and too perfect and too dominant and too arrogant and too irresistible. TOO MUCH.
The heroine is soooo weak I wanted to hit MY head against a wall. The kind who apologises for being right. WTF!?!
Halfway through the book I gave up. I'm not rating thi
Tia
Sep 07, 2012 Tia rated it liked it
This book was pretty crappy. I don't understand why the heroine took the blame for anything. She was well within her rights to leave his ass. Whether o not he slept with the villain, he did kiss her. He was married and cheating is still cheating. The book was screwed up on so many levels but it still was a decent read.
Vanessa
Jan 25, 2013 Vanessa rated it liked it
Bukola
May 24, 2014 Bukola rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
Angie, a former model, comes out of hiding to save her younger brother from the wrath of her estrange husband, Roque. Angie & Roque had separated a year ago after the news of Roque's alleged affair spread like a wild fire in tabloids.

While at it, she decides it’s time to ask for divorce too. However, Roque has no intention to divorce Angie. He wants her back and uses her brother as a bait to keep her married to him. Roque & Angie soon leaves for his home town to work on their issues. An
Saintlyjuliet
May 21, 2016 Saintlyjuliet rated it really liked it
"A esperança é a última que morre."

Roque quotes this line about 3-4 times. It sums up his whole attitude when it comes to his relationship with Angie. I love heroes who fall head over heels for the heroine and do anything to keep them. Roque is like that but he is also stubborn, a little childish, arrogant and deeply hurt.

A misunderstand caused by OW Nadia leads Angie to leave Roque. He knows he is innocent and he is shocked that Angie didn't even bother to talk to him before condemning him. H
Goobledybook
Nov 21, 2013 Goobledybook rated it it was ok
I typically give HQN books 3-stars because I typically like them. This book was not very likable. Angie, the lead female is a doormat, while Roque, male lead, is a jerk.

Angie left Roque after she witnessed him making-out with his ex. She believed he slept with her as well. He didn't, but so what. The guy cheated then refused to apologize or acknowledge his mistake throughout. Instead the book focused too much on what a poor wife Angie was. Again, so what. If I become a lowsy wife to my husband,
Natalie
Mar 12, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
I'm going to fall back on my usual reply whenever I review a Harlequin Presents novel. This was a typical HP book. You have the heroine who is still suffering after her relationship with the hero. The hero is stewing in his bitterness over some offense he feels the heroine has committed to him. Inbetween all of this is the sparks that come off each other whenever they're together.

Ms. Reid's books are always enjoyable. This one is no exception. I found it a hort, light read that had me very inter
Carmen
Apr 28, 2012 Carmen rated it it was ok
The story was a little underwhelming, with the heavily trotted out theme of blackmail reconciliation using the machinations of a sibling as the catalyst.

Now, divorce papers in hand, Angie has finally built up the courage to put an end to her time as a de Calvhos wife o
Consuela Rossetto
May 28, 2015 Consuela Rossetto rated it it was amazing
Shelves: harmony
Un voto infranto non significa necessariamente anche un matrimonio finito.
Angie de Calvhos credeva in ogni singola parola del voto pronunciato all'altare insieme a suo marito Roque.
Peccato che lui non fosse altrettanto sincero, e invece del futuro felice che sognava, ad attenderla c'era una mortificante separazione.
Ora, con le carte del divorzio pronte per essere firmate, Angie ha finalmente trovato il coraggio di mettere la parola fine in fondo alla sua vita di moglie, ma non ha fatto i cont
Mandy Saial
Angie thought her marriage was like in the fairy tales until her husband puts her through a terribly public divorce that isn't pretty.
Then she ends up falling for his charms once again .
I usually love reading Harliquin Presents books because they are sweet , sexy and a quick read , but this one I really didn't get into at all. I was a little turned off after what went down between them and that she went back after all was said and done.
Mary-jane
Sep 04, 2012 Mary-jane rated it really liked it
I don't understand the low rating for this book!It wasn't that bad but wasn't that good either.
I wasn't an emotional tearjerker book but the story was ok. The early pages was very slow but that's it
Rute Sousa
The male lead is supposedly a Portuguese who lived for years in Brazil. And sometimes he says some expressions in portuguese in his dialogues, but they are all wrong. Shame on you Michelle Reid! I was wondering if the Greek and Italian books are also wrong.
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • A Lingering Melody
  • The Santangeli Marriage
  • Flora's Defiance (Secretly Pregnant…Conveniently Wed, #2)
  • An Ideal Marriage?
  • The Blackmail Baby
  • Princess From the Past
  • The Failed Marriage
  • Aristides' Convenient Wife  (A Mediterranean Marriage #9)
  • Jake Howard's Wife
  • The Illegitimate Tycoon (Bad Blood, #6)
  • Once a Ferrara Wife... (Ferrara, #1)
  • The Sicilian's Marriage Arrangement
Hi, my name is Michelle Reid and I’ve been writing for Harlequin Mills & Boon for the last twenty years, and the crazy part about it is that I only realised it had been twenty years while updating this page!

So, hang on for a minute while I take this huge milestone in....

Twenty years with almost forty books published or in the pipeline ... I know it isn’t a great average when compared with some
More about Michelle Reid...