After Their Vows

After Their Vows

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Broken vows don’t necessarily mean a broken marriage…

Angie de Calvhos meant every word of the vows she shared with husband Roque at the altar. Pity he didn’t return her sincerity… Expecting happy-ever-after, instead Angie found herself going through a mortifyingly public separation!

Paperback, Harlequin Presents, #3001, 192 pages
Published July 2011 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2011)

Marajean
RLA
This is the story of Angie and Roque, they have been separated for a year after it was reported in the press that Roque had slept with another woman. Angie, a former model, has spent most off her adult life raising her younger brother and fighting to keep them out of debt. After she had married Roque she constantly felt torn between her troublesome brother, her career and Roque. Deeply heartbroken by Roque's betrayal she had retreated for a while then quit modelling to take up a regular job with...more
Kate
About three-fourths of the way through the book, the hero realizes that they communicate about the wrong things: however, this assumes that they actually communicate about anything. This has to be one of the most infuriating HP couples ever. If they would just talk to each other, give real answers instead of pithy remarks when asked questions, and tell each other the truth, they might actually get along for the first 90% of the book.

I have absolutely no idea why they are even together (apart fro...more
Tina
I like Michelle Reid's earlier stuff A Question of Prideremains one of my favorites by her because I thought it was quite intelligently written. But this one was really ...ugh.

The husband, Roque, was immature, possessive...all 'stop helping your brother or I will go sleep with another woman.'

The wife Angie was all weepy and pathetic and had the backbone of a noodle.

The younger brother was a user.

Angie left Roque b/c she thinks he cheated on her and disappeared for a year. He wants her back so...more
willaful
Overwritten, overwrought, yet still boring, who’d have thunk it. There are snippets of an interesting story here, but it’s mostly drowned in endless bickering and accusations.

What I liked: both characters have faults. The breakdown between Roque and Angie’s marriage is partially caused by his threat to be unfaithful -- which Angie refuses to believe he didn’t carry out -- but also by Angie constantly putting her feckless younger brother ahead of her marriage. Roque thinks ruefully about Angie’s...more
Books&Friends
Reid is one 'Presents' author I have a "can't wait for christmas" book wish. I've always had a fascination with Michelle Reid's voice. I can count on an adult/mature take in her highly emotional stories. This one is no different. I loved that her heroine is the one struggling in a very real character arc/growth. The hero with his own issues has the inner strength and love to carry her through her journey. Stellar story telling as always.
My next question is... Michelle when is your next book? I C...more
Saly
A very average Reid. I expect more from her. No memorable moments like those in her books like The De Santis Marriage, Purchased Wife etc.
Edina Rose
Jun 21, 2012 Edina Rose marked it as d-n-f
I used to like Michelle Reid and I wanted to revisit old love. Suffice to say this is FAR from her best, even FAR from her average. Or my memory is failing me. It's been a long time.
The hero is too rich and too clever and too gorgeous and too strong and too perfect and too dominant and too arrogant and too irresistible. TOO MUCH.
The heroine is soooo weak I wanted to hit MY head against a wall. The kind who apologises for being right. WTF!?!
Halfway through the book I gave up. I'm not rating thi...more
Natalie
I'm going to fall back on my usual reply whenever I review a Harlequin Presents novel. This was a typical HP book. You have the heroine who is still suffering after her relationship with the hero. The hero is stewing in his bitterness over some offense he feels the heroine has committed to him. Inbetween all of this is the sparks that come off each other whenever they're together.

Ms. Reid's books are always enjoyable. This one is no exception. I found it a hort, light read that had me very inter...more
Vanessa
Roub
i do not know why the book got so many bad reviews because i really liked it. but then i always enjoy books by michelle. anyway coming back to the book. from the 1st page itself, i really thought roque had been unfaithful. and he was forgiven (by me at least) because it was clear he loved his wife very very much. and infidelity can happen to the best of couples. frustration and anger can drive you to do things like that. but roque did not do it. he had intended but he stopped himself..he was luc...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
I enjoy most of Michelle Reid's books but this one just didn't work for me.
Angie, a former supermodel is a bit of a cardboard heroine. Yes, she's gorgeous, cares for her stupid brother and is still in love with her husband - the gorgeous feckless Roque. He's a real jerk in my opinion...what kind of man goes to fashion shows and involves himself only with models....right!!!!!! His behaviour towards Angie is so not there.....i wanted to hit him on the head.....
She let him walk all over her...what...more
Goobledybook
I typically give HQN books 3-stars because I typically like them. This book was not very likable. Angie, the lead female is a doormat, while Roque, male lead, is a jerk.

Angie left Roque after she witnessed him making-out with his ex. She believed he slept with her as well. He didn't, but so what. The guy cheated then refused to apologize or acknowledge his mistake throughout. Instead the book focused too much on what a poor wife Angie was. Again, so what. If I become a lowsy wife to my husband,...more
Carmen
The story was a little underwhelming, with the heavily trotted out theme of blackmail reconciliation using the machinations of a sibling as the catalyst.

Now, divorce papers in hand, Angie has finally built up the courage to put an end to her time as a de Calvhos wife o...more
Jenny
Good read but not as well written and intense as other MR books!
Jemma Gutierrez
stupid heroine, seriously? Why can't anyone write a heroine that is actually smart for a change?
Tia
This book was pretty crappy. I don't understand why the heroine took the blame for anything. She was well within her rights to leave his ass. Whether o not he slept with the villain, he did kiss her. He was married and cheating is still cheating. The book was screwed up on so many levels but it still was a decent read.
Mary-jane
I don't understand the low rating for this book!It wasn't that bad but wasn't that good either.
I wasn't an emotional tearjerker book but the story was ok. The early pages was very slow but that's it
Teresa
To muche Harlequin ... e além disso se o protagonista é português não diz seguramente "meu" querida ... lê-se num domingo de manhã se não houver leitrua melhor à mão ...
Cokewater

I really liked all the yelling and screaming. Things got really emotional! Having the miscarriage weighing on her conscience added some real pathos.
Diane
the big misunderstanding, overbearing almost-ex-husband, heroine with family problems--same old, same old.
Lisa
What an HP is -strong hero, beautiful heroine, conflict, love conquers all.
Livia
Wonderful, fast paced "marriage in jeopardy" story.
Bridie Coleman
Very entertaining, great alpha male character.
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Fiordiligii
Fiordiligii marked it as to-read
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • Flora's Defiance (Secretly Pregnant…Conveniently Wed, #2)
  • Not a Marrying Man
  • Aristides' Convenient Wife (Mediterranean Marriage) (Harlequin Presents, #2630)
  • The Andreou Marriage Arrangement
  • One Night...Nine Month Scandal (Modern Romance)
  • Not For Sale
  • Bride in a Gilded Cage
  • The Santangeli Marriage
  • Lingering Melody
  • The Sicilian's Marriage Arrangement
  • The Blackmail Baby (Wedlocked!) (Harlequin Presents, 2247)
  • The Wedding Charade
  • Beauty and the Greek
Hi, my name is Michelle Reid and I’ve been writing for Harlequin Mills & Boon for the last twenty years, and the crazy part about it is that I only realised it had been twenty years while updating this page!

So, hang on for a minute while I take this huge milestone in....

Twenty years with almost forty books published or in the pipeline ... I know it isn’t a great average when compared with some...more
More about Michelle Reid...
Gold Ring of Betrayal The Ultimate Betrayal The Price of a Bride Mia and the Powerful Greek (The Balfour Brides, #1) Marchese's Forgotten Bride