Start by marking “Penguin Dreams” as Want to Read:
Penguin Dreams
Preview

Penguin Dreams

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Penguins don't dream! And, they can't fly either, but in this zany story from the bestselling author and artist team who created Olive, the Other Reindeer, anything goes!
Before the alarm sings ding-a-ling, one special penguin finds himself flying up, up, up and away. On his journey through space and sky, he meets some wacky winged characters, then lands head first in a pe
Published September 1st 1999 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Penguin Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penguin Dreams

Monica!
Okay, so this book is seriously random. It consists entirely of Chongo Chingi the penguin and his fucking weird dreams, which... okay, they're possibly brought on by the fact that he’s imprisoned in a tiny cage at the zoo, slowly going mad.

“ONLY IN MY DREAMS CAN I FLY!” Chongo Chingi wails, while bit by bit he forgets what life was like Outside.

Soon, I imagine, he’ll lose his dreams as well as his hopes for freedom.

Until then, keep dreaming, Chongo Chingi. Keep dreaming.
Kaethe
2001 May 13

What are penguin dreams? Cool, of course. Also, weird. This has more the feel of a David Wiesner book, although the art remains true to Seibold's distinctive style.

***

2013 July 22

I read it aloud to Natasha last night while we were waiting for Merlin to load on Netflix. Yes, we are attracted to fantasy. She shares my admiration for the incredibly cool two page spreads in which Chingi Chongo is flying through space, and then space turns out to be the complex world of underwater. Also, s
Heather
love Seibold's illustrations
Connie
First, let me say that the artwork is really cool.

The story though... it's about what you'd expect from a dream. It jumps around a lot. I like it, my nieces like it, but I can appreciate that some kids might not get it. That's cool.

Very short, as well. If your kid gets into it, that means it's great for hurried bedtimes.
Liza Gilbert
This is an entirely story-less book. It is apparently the dreams of a penguin. It seems to be an excuse for the illustrator to create different scenes, which do, indeed, turn out very well. The best part of the book is the quote by a three year old on the back cover about penguins "They fly in the water."
Amy Adams
Cute story. Penguins probably do wish they could fly. Very lovely illustrations. This would work nicely for the littles for storytime because it's super short, has fun pictures, and is full of cool sounds they can help make.
Jenny Forgay
You could use this book when working on a science lesson or just for fun during the winter.
Dona
Usually I really like penguins but I didn't get this book at all. Could totally just be me though.
Nux
Nice drawings, vivid colors... nice bedtime read for the little ones.
Sean Evans
Penguin Dreams (I Can Sleep Book) by J. Otto Seibold (1999)
Rose Ann
Cute childrens' picture book. Cute drawings.
Esme
Rated by my 4 & 5 year old students.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Alpha
Alpha marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Sarah added it
Jan 01, 2015
Leann Rudniski
Leann Rudniski marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Stacey
Stacey added it
Dec 14, 2014
T
T added it
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Olive, the Other Reindeer Vunce Upon a Time Lost Sloth Other Goose: Re-Nurseried!! and Re-Rhymed!! Childrens Classics Mr. Lunch Takes a Plane Ride