Start by marking “Donavan's Word Jar” as Want to Read:
Donavan's Word Jar

Donavan's Word Jar

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Donavan is fascinated by words. They seem to leap out at him from books, signs, even the back of cereal boxes. He savors each word as he learns to say it and discovers its meaning. He keeps the words he collects on slips of paper in a big glass jar. But one day the jar is almost full and Donavan has a dilemma. How can he make room for new words without giving up all the te ...more
Published August 8th 1998 by Amistad (first published 1994)

Nicole Rose
Too cute - I loved this book and think it is a wonderful book to teach to a class of second or third graders - maybe even have my own classroom word jar! :)
Diane
“This was a word he had never noticed before, and the word made him smile.” ... “I am going to start paying attention to words from now on. I bet there are trillions of words out there, words I’ve never noticed.” So Donavan begins his word collection. But when his jar is too full to add any more words, he doesn't know what to do.

A simple story with is a great celebration of the love of language and the power of words. Could inspire some young writers to start looking for and collecting their ow
Rachel
This book is about 3rd grade level reading but with a lot of new words that are good to know. I liked this book for many reasons. 1.) The illustrator is awesome. Not only are the pictures very life like but she places certain words around the picture that matches to the scene or what was just written in the chapter. 2.) I like that there is a problem and it get solved. My reading class just wrote a book and it would be at their level of writing but with a lot more detail. I may use it next year. ...more
Jessica Vasko
While the writing can be slightly dull at times, this was a great read-aloud for my third grade class because there was a clear problem and my students were able to practice making predictions based on evidence from the text. DeGross is very explicit with the story elements she uses, so this book was also great for looking at author's craft.
Julie
Great story about a boy who collects words in a jar. He finally fills it up and doesn't know what to do next. He asks lots of people for their opinion. I won't give away the end but, it was a good one. I know my kids would enjoy reading this story at school.
Robert
We read this book early in the school year each year. It's an excellent book to demonstrate to students rich language. Persnickety, bamboozle, cantankerous, and other juicy words populate this book.

We use the story to teach prefixes, roots, and suffixes, but it's an excellent story to use for narrative elements and predictions too. There's an excellent metaphor at the end of the story.

Students enjoy it. Donavan learns that rather than expecting someone else to solve his problem, his problem isn'
Rebecca Crull
This is one of the books I read with my class this fall. I've had a class set for awhile, and just now have gotten to it. It was ok. I liked how it used interesting words through out he book. I'm a word person, and like the way certain words sound and the way they feel when you say them (I know, I'm weird ;-), so this book was fun to read with my kids. It also lender itself to some fun activities that we did as a class as we read the book. Some of the things we did were, writing words we liked o ...more
Renee Roz
This was summer reading for my soon-to-be 3rd grader. As a parent, I really enjoyed the story, the values and (of course) the vocabulary. From her perspective, she was able to read it mostly on her own and did so eagerly (which is sometimes a challenge when it's not a SpongeBob book or other hyped kiddie pop culture pseudo novel). And as a bonus, she is now starting to pay more attention to larger words and asking for definitions when she's not sure or can't figure it out on her own. All in all, ...more
J
(FROM JACKET)Donavan Allen is just like all the other kids in his third grade class. He likes getting out of school at the end of the day. He skips the raw vegetables his mom packs in his lunch. And he likes to collect things.
Donavan has a special collection, a collection like no other he knows. Donavan collects words. He keeps his words on slips of paper in a big glass jar. But when his word jar fills up, Donavan has a real problem. How can he make room for new words without giving up all the
Kristen
I found this book very unique. We often hear how people collect stamps, buttons, postcards, etc. But, rarely do we hear how someone collects WORDS. Donavan, however, has so many words he's running out of room. Through his dilemma he learns the power of words. This book would be great to discuss the hobby of collecting items, words and their meanings, the power of words, and how we can use words!
Deborah Harris
Jan 01, 2014 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a34, ar-4
AR Quiz No. 69710 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 4.1 - AR Pts: 1.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Tameka
I thought that this was a great book to read. This book would be great for a child not interested in reading and needed to expand their vocabulary. You could also read this book as a read a loud, and do a class project that lasted the entire school year, and collect words.
Karen
This is a good story for children to learn about sharing gifts that don't come in a package. However,they do need to be able to read and understand the words so this is a great book for utilizing the dictionary. A task that is put to the wayside due to technology,
Abby Barkeim
This was a fun book that shows how words can be an amazing thing. The story is about a boy named Donovan who collects words he sees that he likes. I love the idea of a word jar! Donovan is only in second grade, so this book may not appeal to many sixth graders.
Sharon Mumford
I read this book to my second graders at the beginning of each year. It's a great way to get them motivated and interested in big words. We start our own word jars and listen for interesting new words in everything we read.
Paula Lyle
Sweet simple story. Great for younger grades, as long as you are willing to discuss the interesting words that Donavan collects. Nice introduction to the power of words and their meanings.
Kristine Pratt
A book that delighted me as a child learns the power and beauty of words. This is a story I want to share with my own children, that they might become word collectors as well. :)
Erica
Very sweet novel, perfect for 2nd grade. Wasn't sure where it would go when I began it but what a nice ending!
Zia
Good book about a boy's love of words, and how he decides to make a difference in people's lives.
Bill
A superb book for teaching. Lots to talk about and a likable main character who rings true.
Jnase1
I liked the idea of this book...collecting words, but didn't care for the writing style.
Kerry Kenney
Good teacher read aloud, models great behavior for the budding lexicologist.
Lyn
I liked how Donovan found a solution to his problem!
Jane
Jul 20, 2014 Jane marked it as triedtoread  ·  review of another edition
Got it for my boy, but he showed no interest.
Alejandra Morales
Alejandra Morales marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014