Start by marking “Nourishing Wisdom: A Mind-Body Approach to Nutrition and Well-Being” as Want to Read:
Nourishing Wisdom: A Mind-Body Approach to Nutrition and Well-Being

Nourishing Wisdom: A Mind-Body Approach to Nutrition and Well-Being

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  31 reviews
"Marc David eloquently describes the importance of addressing the emotional and spiritual aspects of our lives in order to truly nourish ourselves." --Dean Ornish, M.D. Combining the principles of nutritional awareness, personal growth, and body psychology, Nourishing Wisdom provides practical methods for redefining the role food plays in our lives. Line drawings.

From the
Published February 2nd 2011 by Harmony (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Nourishing Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nourishing Wisdom

Veronica
I would give it 3.5 stars if I could. The first part of the book was a turn-off. Apparently, David thinks that the missing element from eating is our relationship with God and our recognition of ourselves as manifestations of the divine.

Yeah. So helpful. Thanks.

Anyway, he does have some helpful information in this book. Some of what I found helpful:

"By telling you to avoid meat, for example, some vegetarian proponents are not only asking you to eliminate it because it is harmful to health, they
Amy
Each of us uses food or other popular substances to play out our hunger for the spiritual source. Alcoholics-booze, eating disordered-food, addict-drugs. Diet will vary fro m person to person, from one week to the next, and no matter what happens, nothing will stay the same for long. Tolerance and respect for the food preferences of others is a crucial ingredient of eating. When food ceases to nourish, a deeper source of nourishment must be found. Health comes not only from eating good foods, bu ...more
Carol Cottrill
Marc David's book, Nourishing Wisdom changed the way I (a practicing nutritional consultant) look at nutrition. A must read for anyone interested in embracing a truly holistic approach to nutrition and overall health of mind and body.
Andrea
1.5 Parts of this were okay, even a bit interesting, but mostly I felt this book contradicted itself, missed major points, and was oddly absolutist while trying to be open and relative.
Liked how David emphasized the individuality of "diet." Made me rethink how I interact with food.
Jennifer Paloulian
Interesting - not in line with what I believe, but a different perspective.
Lindsay
This book really did offer quite a bit of mind-body-eating wisdom. Far from being a specific approach, it's more of a paradigm for viewing oneself and one's relationship with the body and food. I appreciated how balanced and grounded I felt after reading it. In my efforts to heal and nourish my body, I've come across a lot of books that promise the best way or the only way to eat/live/heal. This book helped me identify with my own body and my own experience to determine the best ways to calmly n ...more
Nadia
I was highlighting whole pages.
Elizabeth
After reading his Slow Down Diet, I wanted to read more from him, so picked up this book.

I liked it but not quite as much. What I think was valuable about this book was that it was broader in its focus and concepts. Not just about eating mindfully, it's about broader food/nutrition lifestyle.

His writing is good, concepts are both scientifically sourced and intuitively sound, and I enjoyed it a lot. It was a nice follow-up and helped round out my recent interest in this reading category.
Kasey Jueds
Maybe not quite as wonderfully amazing as The Slow-Down Diet, but still wonderful and amazing! I love the way Marc David writes about food and nutrition; he definitely seems to understand, in a deep way, the food-as-spiritual-practice idea, and the way he talks about our relationship with what we eat is moving and thoughtful and often surprising.
Claire
This is about food. This is also about what it is to be a physical form in this world, and the factors involved in our nourishment and growth. His viewpoint on nutrition is pointing at the Truth imo. As 'eaters' everyone should read or at least skim this book. Bringing awareness to our eating can be transformative on many levels.
Andrea
This is a psychology of eating book. It doesn't have any specific eating suggestions but I am including it in the cooking shelf because it has to do with food. I thought the book was interesting. It talks about why we eat, how food nourishes us, and how to overcome negative habits with regard to eating.
Maria
An insightful, engaging little book on emotional, psychological, physical and spiritual aspects of eating. It's really blowing open the idea of whole-body/mind/spirit nourishment for me. I wish I'd read this when I was eighteen! I would honestly recommend this book to everyone who eats.
Smts19
Interesting read; about the mind-body connection when we eat food, and our psychological relationship to food. How our bodies make use of food when we slow down and become mindful of what we are eating, as opposed to eating too quickly as we multi-task, without thinking about the eating.
Christine Theberge Rafal
...be kind to yourself...try to give your body what it wants...strategies for dealing with cravings and not judging them...guidelines for "ordered" eating. Each chapter has exercises, or experiments, to do, plus bullet list of key points to takeaway from the chapter.
Candice
This book was required reading for a training and I'm so happy it was. It is an insightful, enlightening look at food and our complicated way of interacting with it. The book is non-judgmental and does not promote any specific diet.
Katey
I've struggled with finding a sane, holistic approach to food for ages... I love the mind-body connection and the spiritual and yet practical way Marc talks about this... am interested in his next book, too... "to read"
April
I love this book. Not your typical nutrition book. It's not about what you should or shouldn't eat but rather how to have a healthy relationship with food. I highly recommend this one.
Liberty Johnke
Jun 25, 2015 Liberty Johnke rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people sick of dieting
I really loved this book. It takes a different spin on health and wellness and offers a refreshing alternative in a world of chronic dieting and self-hate. One of my favorites!
Kelly L.
A little too "touchy-feely" for me. I get how the mind is involved with our food choices and how "we are what we eat," but I just couldn't get into this.
Rebecca Erlewein
Oct 14, 2009 Rebecca Erlewein rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who eats
The best food on "nutrition" - the act of nourishing ourselves.
And without saying a single food is good or bad.
I wish I'd written this...
Alison
A thought provoking look at how we view food and diet. This is one of those books anyone in the nutrition/health coach/diet field should read.
eHawk rivera
great holistic overview on food, thought, and eating. really appreciated the workbook feel of the chapters.
Nick
I found it hard to put down. A bit too 'spiritual' for me, but lots of psychological insights on food.
Barbara

Fantastic read - a whole new way to look at our relationship with food!
Shawna
Highly recommended for anyone interested in reflecting upon their relationship with food.
Lia
One of the best books about our relationship with food that I've ever read.
Alice Winn
A little dippy, but totally reasonable advice. At least thus far.
Kirsten
For Yoga of Nutrition class
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • The Inside Tract: Your Good Gut Guide to Great Digestive Health
  • Women, Food, and Desire: Embrace Your Cravings, Make Peace with Food, Reclaim Your Body
  • Power Foods for the Brain: An Effective 3-Step Plan to Protect Your Mind and Strengthen Your Memory
  • Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss
  • Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Start Living Again
  • Living a Charmed Life: Your Guide to Turning the Ordinary into the Extraordinary
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
  • Food and Healing
  • The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
  • 40 Days to Personal Revolution: 40 Days to Personal Revolution
  • Staying Healthy with Nutrition, rev: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine
  • Why Our Health Matters: A Vision of Medicine That Can Transform Our Future
  • Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • The Chemistry of Joy: A Three-Step Program for Overcoming Depression Through Western Science and Eastern Wisdom
  • Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight
  • Easter Everywhere
Marc David is the Founder and Director of The Institute for the Psychology of Eating and the author of The Slow Down Diet: Eating for Pleasure, Energy, and Weight Loss, and Nourishing Wisdom: A Mind-Body Approach to Nutrition and Well Being. A nationally recognized teacher, speaker and corporate consultant, Marc presents his expertise in nutritional medicine, the psychology of eating, and the scie ...more
More about Marc David...
The Slow Down Diet: Eating for Pleasure, Energy, and Weight Loss Mind/Body Nutrition - Increase your energy, eat without stress, and transform your health The Addicted Runner 19 Tips To Build 5 Pounds Of Muscle In 28 Days Or Less The 4 Greatest Fat Loss Secrets in History

“Eating with awareness is the most important and powerful tool to transform your relationship to food and the body. Once you begin to practice it, it becomes a lifelong habit. There is no goal or ideal to strive for. All there is to do is eat, observe, and accept. No matter what kind of food you eat or nutritional system you follow, eating with awareness is” 0 likes