Start by marking “In the Wings: Behind the Scenes at the New York City Ballet” as Want to Read:
In the Wings: Behind the Scenes at the New York City Ballet

In the Wings: Behind the Scenes at the New York City Ballet

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Here is New York City Ballet as it really is- the good, the not so good, and the majestically beautiful. It's a true story, and it's told by someone who can honestly claim that he was there.
Published December 16th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about In the Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Wings

Dancing on My Grave by Gelsey KirklandBunheads by Sophie FlackThe Cranes Dance by Meg HowreyBallet Shoes by Noel StreatfeildLife in Motion by Misty Copeland
Best Ballet Books Ever!
77th out of 81 books — 62 voters
Dance With Me by Luanne RiceThe Cranes Dance by Meg HowreyDamaris Dances by Elsie J. OxenhamSo, You Want To Be a Ballet Dancer? by Jennifer KronenbergThe Ballet Lover's Companion by Zoe Anderson
Dance both fiction and non fiction
74th out of 108 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Dec 18, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such an enjoyable read for someone like me who enjoys ballet, but has no idea what goes into it. Froman, a ballet dancer himself, has his camera by his side in the studio and takes photos of all stages of the process; from warming up on the barre to using a laser in the physical therapy room, this is a side of ballet I had never seen. The photographs, featuring a wide variety of dancers and performances, are organized chronologically with where they would fall into a daily routine. From ...more
Barbara
Photographic book of behind the scenes of the New York City Ballet. Photos better than the text.
Apr 24, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ballet
Really great photos in this chronicle of a day in the life of a ballet dancer. The writing is amateurish but also moving and conveys the joys and anxieties of dancing at NYCB. Froman could almost be any young man giving a daily account of his profesional life, and NYCB could almost be any demanding work place, except it's like totally not. Case in point, Froman's nice wrap-up at the end: "I have Vivaldi in my ears, Merrill in my head, and Balanchine in my body." Worth a look, especially for the ...more
Rachel C.
Between ABT, So You Think You Can Dance, Breaking Pointe and Bunheads, I've had ballet on the brain lately. So I rooted out a few books to borrow from the NYPL. "Starve a fever, feed an obsession" is what I say.

The photographs are gorgeous and they're from a rare insider's perspective, but the truth is that still photography will never be able to capture the magic of seeing a live ballet performance with live orchestral music.
Kathleen
A wonderful look at life backstage at NYCB. With this book, On Their Toes by Morris, and A Very Young Dancer, I've basically got picture books about being a dancer covered for ages 8, 10, and 12. Additionally, this book would be a great coffee table book, for those who like to clutter up tables with books.
Ava
Apr 01, 2012 Ava rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, adults, ballet fans, dancers
Shelves: coffee-table
Great photos, large book, backstage a dancer prepares, but disappointing as it has virtually no content. It should say that somewhere in the title and of course, it is expensive. But, for a coffee table, gift for a dancer or non, it definitely brings you behind the scenes. Perhaps I am jaded (;)
Melissa
Aug 09, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I keep in my "all time favorite dance books" bookcase next to my bed. I am a dance photographer and Kyle's work is incredible and inspiring to me. I also love the fact that he was a dancer in the New York City Ballet, one of the greatest ballet companies in the world today.
Ruth
Mar 19, 2008 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: balletomanes
Shelves: dance
Lovely pictures, but the text was unimpressive.
Ana Luisa
Ana Luisa rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Mahlea
Mahlea added it
May 25, 2016
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Janey tucker
Janey tucker marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Sarah McCutchan
Sarah McCutchan marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Melissa Snavely
Melissa Snavely marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Morgan
Morgan added it
Jan 30, 2016
Desiree
Desiree rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Lrharley
Lrharley rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
BW
BW rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Charlotte Van
Charlotte Van marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Isabella Ingels
Isabella Ingels rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015