Start by marking “Times Three” as Want to Read:
Times Three

Times Three

In Times Three, Science Fiction Grand Master Robert Silverberg presents a trio of ingenious variations on one of science fiction's most durable themes: time travel. These three novels, all of them prime Silverberg, approach that subject from a dizzying variety of perspectives. The result is a remarkable display of ingenuity, erudition, and sheer narrative power.

In Hawksbil
Published April 1st 2011 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about Times Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Times Three

Kat  Hooper
Mar 27, 2011 Kat Hooper rated it liked it
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Time travel is one of Robert Silverberg’s favorite themes and he gives us three of his best time travel novels, and an introduction to each, in the collection Times Three from Subterranean Press.

Hawksbill Station (1968) is about a camp for 21st century American political dissidents who are permanently exiled to... the late Cambrian era. Hawksbill Station is a stark and lonely place — it’s all rocks, ocean, and trilobites. With no meat, no women, and no way
Joe Martin

Time travel stories are my favorite sub-genre of science fiction. I've always loved the idea of visiting other times. I'd like to experience history directly. I'd love to sit in the audience for the first performance of Handel's Messiah or one of Beethoven's symphonies. I'd love to experience Teddy Roosevelt's charisma for myself. What was imperial Rome like, at the height of its power?

I'd also like to experience the planet as it existed in the past. I'd love to see what it would be like to walk

Jeffrey Powanda
Feb 08, 2015 Jeffrey Powanda rated it really liked it
Great fun. Silverberg anthologized three of his most famous time travel stories: Hawksbill Station, Up the Line, and Project Pendulum. I enjoyed all three, but liked Project Pendulum the most. It featured a set of male twins shunting back and forth over 95 billion years. A truly breathtaking concept with a breakneck pace.

Silverberg makes some bizarre choices in these stories. Hawksbill Station deposits male political prisoners in the late Cambrian era, when there isn't much around except trilob
Joyce
Mar 15, 2012 Joyce rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I read "Up the Line" some 30 years ago, in paperback. I guess it made an impression on me as I have been on the look out for it in hard back off & on over the last 10 years, or so. I would have been willing to buy it in paperback even, for a decent price. I did find a few copies on amazon, but they were all preowned paperbacks & price around $20.00----WHAT? I tried to order it@ both, Borders & B&N, to which they both replied " out of print, try a used book store ...more
Steven
May 22, 2013 Steven rated it liked it
This is three separate stories.

The introduction is actually a great read - it really gives interesting context for the stories. I guess it's the best introduction I've read...although most introductions to fiction are about boring "literature".

The first story is a little dull. It would have been better shorter (as the introduction indicates it originally was). The protagonist is in such a dead-end state that he can't go anywhere but up, so there's no real tension to the story.

The second story ha
Neil Hogan
Neil Hogan rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2017
Gujubrit
Gujubrit rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2016
Faith
Faith rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Chuck Childers
Chuck Childers rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2017
Sharon S. Nicholson
Sharon S. Nicholson rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Jeffery F Addison
Jeffery F Addison rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2014
Wendy Molinaroli
Wendy Molinaroli rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Michael Hall
Michael Hall rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Fantasy Literature
Fantasy Literature rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2012
Michael Seidlinger
Michael Seidlinger rated it did not like it
Michael Waechter
Michael Waechter rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2014
Rufus T.
Rufus T. rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Mike Ulrich
Mike Ulrich rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Jared
Jared rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2011
Allan Caplan
Allan Caplan rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
PJ
PJ rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2011
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2011
James
James added it
Pete Guion
Pete Guion marked it as to-read
Damon
Damon marked it as to-read
Neil
Neil added it
David
David marked it as to-read
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2011
Stuart
Stuart marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2011
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2011
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2011
Rory Hart
Rory Hart marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2011
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2011
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2011
Peg
Peg marked it as to-read
T.J.
T.J. marked it as to-read
Tina Randolph
Tina Randolph marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2011
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
May 03, 2011
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
May 05, 2011
Philip Hollenback
Philip Hollenback marked it as to-read
May 07, 2011
Chas
Chas marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2011
Palladin
Palladin marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2011
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2011
harlequin {Stephanie}
harlequin {Stephanie} marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2012
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2013
Ipsith
Ipsith added it
May 07, 2013
Patrick W
Patrick W marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2010
Anton
Anton marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...