Start by marking “The Ancient One (The Adventures of Kate, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ancient One (The Adventures of Kate, #2)

The Ancient One (The Adventures of Kate #2)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,476 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
They stood untouched for thousands of years, hidden within a fog-filled hollow. Now Kate, visiting Oregon, has discovered the grove of giant redwoods in Lost Crater. And their existence has become a source of bitter conflict—between those who believe the trees are the dying mill town’s last hope, and those who wish to keep the area a protected sanctuary.

Caught up in the st
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published December 30th 2003 by Ace (first published September 16th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Ancient One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ancient One

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells11/22/63 by Stephen KingTimeline by Michael Crichton
Best Time Travel Fiction
236th out of 1,235 books — 3,977 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Subtle Knife by Philip PullmanNeverwhere by Neil GaimanAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Fantasy Books Set in Two Worlds
95th out of 576 books — 616 voters

More lists with this book...

Tabitha
Dec 22, 2009 Tabitha rated it really liked it
I have read this book several times. I tend to wait until I have forgotten the end or at least parts of the middle before reading it again. Since I've probably read it 4 times now (over a 15 year span), it probably merits more stars. That being said, its probably close to 3.25 stars in terms of writing and creativity for an adult. However, the twist with the Native American culture and the time travel adventure make the book quite enjoyable. Further, its written for young adults and I think I re ...more
X
Jul 03, 2010 X rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to X by: Q
I've been meaning to read this book for probably ten years, and I am happy I finally did! Fortunately, it is a stand alone book as I don't remember much about the first book in the trilogy. It's a good story of magic, time travel and lost cultures with a prominent - but not obnoxiously so - environmental message.
Jeni C.
Jan 15, 2014 Jeni C. rated it it was amazing
This book was one of my favorite books in middle school. I took it with me to college, and I really enjoy revisiting it. The plot is engaging, magical, and it makes you think about the life you lead.
Roybot
Jan 21, 2016 Roybot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A teen and her great aunt try to save an untouched forest from destruction at the hands of loggers desperate for work in a weak economy. Also, she travels through time, meets a bunch of supernatural creatures, and fights a demon dinosaur.

The Ancient One is exactly the kind book I devoured when I was in elementary/middle school. The magical elements remind me of The Neverending Story a little, and I liked Kate's pluck and courage. The moral is hammered home perhaps a little bit too heavy-handedl
Zooheather
Apr 29, 2013 Zooheather rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read for all ages.

I first read this in grade school or junior high and loved it then. Kate is a strong, female protagonist and a great person for a young girl to read about. I appreciated that even with the strong environmental themes, Barron still recognized the challenge of people needing jobs and valuing the individuals who do cut down trees by making some of the loggers more human rather than completely evil (like one).

After just rereading Heartlight, however, Kate's developmen
Melanti
Well written but it suffers a bit from being a little dated, formulaic, and simplistic.

I'm a tree hugger, but Barron's brushing off of the townsfolk's economic concerns just rubbed me the wrong way. "Well, it's your own fault that you don't have any trees to cut down anymore" might be completely true, but it's not really a productive thing to say when you're trying to persuade people.

"This would only delay the inevitable for about a year" is a little more productive - there's more substance to i
Ryan Mishap
Dec 21, 2008 Ryan Mishap rated it liked it
Can't resist those books set in Oregon. A teenager has to move in with her Grandma in a little logging town. There, she is caught up in the debate over logging the last remaining forest--but people think it is in a crater lake-like natural fortress which no one has been able to get into. The loggers are determined to blast a way in and the grandma is determined to stop them.
Meanwhile, the teenager is transported back in time to when the native people's of the area lived in the crater. Events
Ronna
Mar 08, 2014 Ronna rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I cried at the end of it.

The emotion that this book managed to evoke was brilliant. I hadn't read the first one in the series, hadn't even heard of it, but I picked this one up because I enjoyed the other books this author writes.' It is one of those books that makes a home in your heart and never leaves.
David Wiley
Mar 28, 2016 David Wiley rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading Barron’s first two books in his Atlantis series, so I was more than willing to take a look at this book when the opportunity arose. The Ancient One has been re-released to celebrate its 25th anniversary, featuring a female protagonist during a time when few books were writing strong female main characters. Overall this was a fun and enjoyable read in spite of its few flaws.

The main character, Kate, is the sort of main character you can admire and cheer for. She is a bright spot
Kaila
Dec 11, 2015 Kaila rated it did not like it
I remember reading this for a book report when I was maybe in the 5th grade. I thought I would revisit it, because I remember liking it. Wowzers, how the times change.

It's a heroine, so that's cool. But she's a white heroine, here to save the natives. She actually ended up helping out (view spoiler) more than the natives, but it was still weird and "The white girl will save us all" tropey.

The writing is...how can I put this. Inane? Immature? Terms such as "Suddenly
Georgene
Jun 28, 2015 Georgene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My son recommended this book and since it took place in my home state, I bought it and read it.

It's an interesting time-travel book which draws upon several Oregon Native American cultures, both ancient and modern. It takes place in a misplaced Crater Lake, but that's the author's privilege to move things around to suit their story.

If given a choice, I would have rated it slightly under 4 stars, but it was definitely worth more than 3 stars.
Kaye
Jan 03, 2016 Kaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant adventure story ripe with exciting characters and spiritualism. I didn't know this was a series and haven't read any of the others, but this book stands alone really well. This story has a little bit of the environmentalists vs loggers, but a LOT of magic and time travel and fantasy. Kate is a brilliant heroine and anyone who is a fan of books like the Wrinkle in Time series will really enjoy this one.
Talia
Nov 18, 2015 Talia rated it it was amazing
This book is full of ancient magic and connection to nature, along with plenty of humor. T. A. Barron wrote a masterpiece, truly capturing my heart in the tale of friendship and bravery, kindness and strength. One of a kind, and gorgeously written, this book is a true work of art.

P.S. The Tinnani ruler and the peppermints are so funny! You will get it when you read it.
Susan Beecher
May 07, 2014 Susan Beecher rated it liked it
I wanted a lighter read and found this on my children's bookcase. I thoroughly enjoyed this young adult novel about a young woman in Oregon who, helping her great-aunt fight to save some ancient redwoods, gets transported back in time.
Charlie Hyde
Feb 13, 2011 Charlie Hyde rated it really liked it
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 Althea Ann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up because of the rave review on the back from Madeleine L'Engle. I'm not surprised they solicited her for a blurb, as it's a quite similar story to her "An Acceptable Time" - young girl and a problematic young man travel back in time to meet a Native American tribe. This book however, takes a more typical quest-story format, has more fantastic elements, and has a more blatant (but well-done) environmentalist message. (The main plot element has to do with saving a lost stand of ancie ...more
Hannah
Feb 25, 2015 Hannah rated it really liked it
This book isn't a standalone?! Read this in 6th grade and now I MUST read at least the one before it! (Loved it in 6th grade.)
Karen
Jul 03, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books for a while. I liked the fantasy in it and the creatures were interesting.
Angela
Apr 19, 2012 Angela rated it did not like it
I didn't think this was a bad book it just didn't make me care enough to finish it. There were a couple of scenes that were very well done but nothing else worked for me. This young girl just wasn't very young. She doesn't freak out even when coming face to face with creatures that are clearly not human not to mention the time travel. For someone who supposedly didn't believe in magic this isn't very credible. When I bought this book, I didn't know that it was young adult or a book two. Neither ...more
Naevia
Jul 21, 2014 Naevia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books when I was younger. Absolute perfection.
Susanne Neumann
Mar 10, 2016 Susanne Neumann rated it it was amazing
TOTALLY AWESOME
Princess
Jan 21, 2016 Princess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting mix of environmental advocacy, time travel, native American culture, adventure and fantasy. Though I wasn't that satisfied with the message in the ending because the characters somehow lack action towards environmental preservation. I wished they still did something to continue advocating the Ancient One's plea. But glad to stumble upon this in a local library. I think it would be great if this is adapted to film especially now that environmental awareness is very rampant and sign ...more
Allison
Apr 20, 2008 Allison rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that ever made me cry! I distinctly remember sitting on our couch one afternoon, finishing the last bit, with tears streaming down my face. I didn't think about it again for a long time, until I found it on eBay. Yay! I bought it, reread it, and enjoyed it almost as much as the first time. It didn't make me cry again, but I loved it. It is a fantasy, which isn't really a genre I normally get into. Nevertheless, it is a sweet tale and an easy read. I highly recommend it!
Dotty
Feb 06, 2011 Dotty rated it liked it
An untouched forest of ancient redwoods is discovered on Native American holy grounds in the Oregon wilderness. A band of unemployed loggers sees an opportunity to earn a living and aren’t concerned about ecology or the heritage of the land
Kate and her great-aunt Melanie set off to stop the loggers. Once in the forest, Kate is transported 500 years into the past through a time tunnel and faces the evil creature Gashra, who is bent on destroying the same forest.
Anthony Faber
Mar 26, 2014 Anthony Faber rated it really liked it
Kate #2. Better than "Heartlight". It still has the same flaws, but to a lesser extent.
Cora
Jun 27, 2008 Cora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I read this book about 10 or so years ago, at least. I got so sucked into the reality of something so unreal. I felt like I was Kate and that everything was happening right before my eyes.

I don't think I have ever been so sad that a book has ended.

With all of the movies that are coming out, Harry Potter, LotR, etc., I would love to see how this would turn out as a movie though I think I wold be thoroughly disappointed.
Cristina
Jun 10, 2015 Cristina rated it liked it
I think I would have enjoyed reading this more if I had read the first Adventure of Kate. I didn't realize that this was the second of the sequential stories and this is a series since there are more books with this idea. I'm going to finish up the series and go from there thus far I think that it's time travel in a forest and it's fantasy so that's intriguing to me and helps my prism of thought expand.
LuAnn
May 14, 2009 LuAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Tom Barron is a really good writer, and I enjoyed this novel, although I did think the environmentalist issue came across just a tiny bit too strong. I had thought the book was going to be more of a fantasy than it was. Don't get me wrong; there were fantastical elements (time travel, talking owls, other unusual beings), but the story didn't really fit the pattern of true fantasy as I'm familiar with it.
Mercurybard
Aug 30, 2011 Mercurybard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Re-reading this was like revisiting an old friend. It is one of my favorite books from my childhood (I can remember reading it in 5th grade). Kate is still a fiesty and resourceful heroine, but this time around I could appreciate more where that rat-bastard Jody was coming from. However, when we finally meet Gashra, the description of his appearance is just ridiculous.
Sarah Rogers
Nov 09, 2011 Sarah Rogers rated it really liked it
I adored this book as a teenager; going back and reading it as an adult, I perpetually question "Why does this happen? How did this occur?" Sadly, many of these questions are never answered. That is the only reason I give this book four stars out of five, as it's an intriguing, original, fun read. I recommend it for students in Middle school.
  • Double Trouble Squared
  • Winds of Change (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #3)
  • The Arkadians
  • Support Your Local Wizard (Young Wizards, #1-3)
  • Dark Moon (Firebringer, #2)
  • Libby on Wednesday
  • The Riddle and the Rune (Gom, #2)
  • The Boggart (The Boggart, #1)
  • Jennifer Murdley's Toad (Magic Shop, #3)
  • A Well-Timed Enchantment
  • Once Upon a Time (She Said)
  • Quest for a Maid
  • The Chalice (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #3)
  • Night Journeys
  • Mind's Eye
  • Dragons in the Waters (O'Keefe Family, #2)
  • Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom
  • Star Wars, Book One: The Glove of Darth Vader; The Lost City of the Jedi; Zorba the Hutt's Revenge
T.A. Barron grew up in Colorado ranch country and traveled widely as a Rhodes Scholar. He is the winner of the de Grummond Medallion for “lifetime contribution to the field of children’s and young adult literature” and many other awards. T. A. Barron is the author of more than 30 highly acclaimed books, many of which are international bestsellers. They include The Lost Years of Merlin (now being d ...more
More about T.A. Barron...

The Adventures of Kate (3 books)
  • Heartlight (Adventures of Kate, #1)
  • The Merlin Effect (Adventures of Kate, #3)