The Ancient One (The Adventures of Kate, #2)

The Ancient One (The Adventures of Kate #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,167 ratings  ·  75 reviews
While helping her Great Aunt Melanie try to protect an Oregon redwood forest from loggers, thirteen-year-old Kate goes back five centuries through a time tunnel and faces the evil creature Gashra, who is bent on destroying the same forest.
Published December 30th 2003 by Ace (first published September 16th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Ancient One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ancient One

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Machine by H.G. WellsHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingTimeline by Michael Crichton
Best Time Travel Fiction
197th out of 967 books — 3,053 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Subtle Knife by Philip PullmanNeverwhere by Neil GaimanAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Fantasy Books Set in Two Worlds
87th out of 471 books — 560 voters

More lists with this book...

Brittany
When I first read this book I didn't realize it was the second in a trilogy because it stands so well on its own. It is a classic teen-targeted fantasy story in that it encapsulates magic, an alternate world, a quest, reluctant heroes and time travel. However, although it is intended for younger audiences, the plot is sufficiently intriguing for older folks with interest in the genre, the writing is crisp and effective and the characters have dimension. I would recommend the book to anyone who e...more
Tabitha
I have read this book several times. I tend to wait until I have forgotten the end or at least parts of the middle before reading it again. Since I've probably read it 4 times now (over a 15 year span), it probably merits more stars. That being said, its probably close to 3.25 stars in terms of writing and creativity for an adult. However, the twist with the Native American culture and the time travel adventure make the book quite enjoyable. Further, its written for young adults and I think I re...more
X
Jul 03, 2010 X rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to X by: Q
I've been meaning to read this book for probably ten years, and I am happy I finally did! Fortunately, it is a stand alone book as I don't remember much about the first book in the trilogy. It's a good story of magic, time travel and lost cultures with a prominent - but not obnoxiously so - environmental message.
Jeni C.
This book was one of my favorite books in middle school. I took it with me to college, and I really enjoy revisiting it. The plot is engaging, magical, and it makes you think about the life you lead.
Zooheather
A fantastic read for all ages.

I first read this in grade school or junior high and loved it then. Kate is a strong, female protagonist and a great person for a young girl to read about. I appreciated that even with the strong environmental themes, Barron still recognized the challenge of people needing jobs and valuing the individuals who do cut down trees by making some of the loggers more human rather than completely evil (like one).

After just rereading Heartlight, however, Kate's developmen...more
Melanti
Well written but it suffers a bit from being a little dated, formulaic, and simplistic.

I'm a tree hugger, but Barron's brushing off of the townsfolk's economic concerns just rubbed me the wrong way. "Well, it's your own fault that you don't have any trees to cut down anymore" might be completely true, but it's not really a productive thing to say when you're trying to persuade people.

"This would only delay the inevitable for about a year" is a little more productive - there's more substance to i...more
Ryan Mishap
Can't resist those books set in Oregon. A teenager has to move in with her Grandma in a little logging town. There, she is caught up in the debate over logging the last remaining forest--but people think it is in a crater lake-like natural fortress which no one has been able to get into. The loggers are determined to blast a way in and the grandma is determined to stop them.
Meanwhile, the teenager is transported back in time to when the native people's of the area lived in the crater. Events...more
Ronna
I loved this book. I cried at the end of it.

The emotion that this book managed to evoke was brilliant. I hadn't read the first one in the series, hadn't even heard of it, but I picked this one up because I enjoyed the other books this author writes.' It is one of those books that makes a home in your heart and never leaves.
Susan Beecher
I wanted a lighter read and found this on my children's bookcase. I thoroughly enjoyed this young adult novel about a young woman in Oregon who, helping her great-aunt fight to save some ancient redwoods, gets transported back in time.
Charlie Hyde
Althea Ann
Picked this up because of the rave review on the back from Madeleine L'Engle. I'm not surprised they solicited her for a blurb, as it's a quite similar story to her "An Acceptable Time" - young girl and a problematic young man travel back in time to meet a Native American tribe. This book however, takes a more typical quest-story format, has more fantastic elements, and has a more blatant (but well-done) environmentalist message. (The main plot element has to do with saving a lost stand of ancie...more
Karen Trofka
This was one of my favorite books for a while. I liked the fantasy in it and the creatures were interesting.
Angela
I didn't think this was a bad book it just didn't make me care enough to finish it. There were a couple of scenes that were very well done but nothing else worked for me. This young girl just wasn't very young. She doesn't freak out even when coming face to face with creatures that are clearly not human not to mention the time travel. For someone who supposedly didn't believe in magic this isn't very credible. When I bought this book, I didn't know that it was young adult or a book two. Neither...more
Naevia
One of my favorite books when I was younger. Absolute perfection.
Allison
This is the first book that ever made me cry! I distinctly remember sitting on our couch one afternoon, finishing the last bit, with tears streaming down my face. I didn't think about it again for a long time, until I found it on eBay. Yay! I bought it, reread it, and enjoyed it almost as much as the first time. It didn't make me cry again, but I loved it. It is a fantasy, which isn't really a genre I normally get into. Nevertheless, it is a sweet tale and an easy read. I highly recommend it!
Emily
Jan 13, 2014 Emily rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: slc
Shelves: poc-sff
How to do cultural appropriation: white person presents "her" life's work of collecting and interpreting the dispersed lore of a disappeared aboriginal people, so her niece can save the aboriginal people's endangered ecosystem.
Dotty
An untouched forest of ancient redwoods is discovered on Native American holy grounds in the Oregon wilderness. A band of unemployed loggers sees an opportunity to earn a living and aren’t concerned about ecology or the heritage of the land
Kate and her great-aunt Melanie set off to stop the loggers. Once in the forest, Kate is transported 500 years into the past through a time tunnel and faces the evil creature Gashra, who is bent on destroying the same forest.
Anthony Faber
Kate #2. Better than "Heartlight". It still has the same flaws, but to a lesser extent.
Cora
Jun 27, 2008 Cora rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I read this book about 10 or so years ago, at least. I got so sucked into the reality of something so unreal. I felt like I was Kate and that everything was happening right before my eyes.

I don't think I have ever been so sad that a book has ended.

With all of the movies that are coming out, Harry Potter, LotR, etc., I would love to see how this would turn out as a movie though I think I wold be thoroughly disappointed.
LuAnn
Tom Barron is a really good writer, and I enjoyed this novel, although I did think the environmentalist issue came across just a tiny bit too strong. I had thought the book was going to be more of a fantasy than it was. Don't get me wrong; there were fantastical elements (time travel, talking owls, other unusual beings), but the story didn't really fit the pattern of true fantasy as I'm familiar with it.
Mercurybard
Re-reading this was like revisiting an old friend. It is one of my favorite books from my childhood (I can remember reading it in 5th grade). Kate is still a fiesty and resourceful heroine, but this time around I could appreciate more where that rat-bastard Jody was coming from. However, when we finally meet Gashra, the description of his appearance is just ridiculous.
Sarah Rogers
I adored this book as a teenager; going back and reading it as an adult, I perpetually question "Why does this happen? How did this occur?" Sadly, many of these questions are never answered. That is the only reason I give this book four stars out of five, as it's an intriguing, original, fun read. I recommend it for students in Middle school.
Kate
This was truly a great book and one I share with not only students but adults. It has alot of twists but also alot of lessons in it. Such as is logging healthy for our world? Do we have the right to impose our way of life on others? It is a book I have read several times and will continue to re read as I always come away with something.
Venus Smurf
I read this book for the first time when I was ten or eleven, and though it's been awhile, I really enjoyed it. I mean, sure, it's more directed at children or young adults, and the big bad monster turned out to be something that only makes me laugh at an adult, but it was well written, and had plenty of action and humor. I really enjoyed it.
Brooke Evans
I was super super nostalgic about this book, because I loved it in fourth grade and then I couldn't remember the title until just recently. That said, of course it wasn't as good as I remembered, but it was a fun book. It was a little too "LOVE THE ENVIRONMENT AT ALL COSTS" for me, but the story kept my attention and I enjoyed reading it.
Centa Schumacher
Jul 13, 2011 Centa Schumacher rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids, people who like kids' fantasy novels
Indulging in a fantasy novel I looooved as a kid. I found a bunch of these at a used book store, going to dive into some nostalgic summer reading.

Update: Totally held up as an awesome YA novel. I tore through this in one day, which was pretty satisfying. Felt like I was 10ish again. Lots of owls though.
Ryan
The first book I ever read in a day. Frankly, I don't remember much from this book -- only the striking descriptions of the protagonist ghosting through the forest at night, and, that even at age eight, the chainsaw scene at the end with the boyfriend at the end was so corny it made me squirm uncomfortably.
Julian Adorney
Amazing story. Barron's lush descriptions and evocative storytelling pull me in to the world. The action's slow at times, and it's definitely not a story for everyone. But, if you like coming-of-age stories and the magic of nature--mixed in with a little real fantasy--you'll want to grab a copy.
Nicole
Really great. My only hesitance is with the descriptions of a fictitious aboriginal people. Something doesn't sit right with me when a white man writes about a fictitious culture based largely on a cultural group that is not his own.

That being said, I do love fantasy books with ethical themes. :)
Sophia Mendez
Extremely disappointing book. Started off well. Could have been a very good story, but when the stones started talking and everything came to her too easily I found it to be extremely disappointing to read. The only reason it gets a 3/5 for me is because of the exemplary descriptions.
  • The Changeling Prince
  • The Arkadians
  • The Books of Great Alta  (Great Alta, #1-2)
  • The Boggart (The Boggart, #1)
  • Wolfsong (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #2)
  • Alien Secrets
  • Jennifer Murdley's Toad (Magic Shop, #3)
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • The Raven Ring (Lyra, #5)
  • The Chalice (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #3)
  • Child of the Grove (Wizard of the Grove, #1)
  • Elske (Kingdom, #4)
  • Support Your Local Wizard (Young Wizards, #1-3)
  • Quest for a Maid
  • Courage of Falcons (The Secret Texts, #3)
  • Dragons in the Waters (O'Keefe Family, #2)
  • The Spellsong War (Spellsong Cycle #2)
  • Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)
T.A. Barron grew up in Colorado ranch country and traveled widely as a Rhodes Scholar. Though he’d dreamed of becoming a writer, he couldn’t find anyone to publish his first novel. He joined a business, eventually became president, then decided to try again. So in 1990, he surprised his business partners by moving back to Colorado to become a writer and conservationist. Since then he has written o...more
More about T.A. Barron...
The Lost Years (The Lost Years of Merlin, #1) The Seven Songs of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #2) The Mirror of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #4) The Fires of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #3) The Wings of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #5)