The Modern Middle East: A Political History Since the First World War

The Modern Middle East: A Political History Since the First World War

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Since it was first published in 2006, this concise overview of the making of the contemporary Middle East has become essential reading for students and general readers who want to gain a better understanding of this diverse region. Writing for a wide audience, Mehran Kamrava takes us from fall of the Ottoman Empire to today, exploring along the way such central issues as t...more
ebook, Revised, Second Edition, 536 pages
Published January 3rd 2011 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 2005)

Steven Wedgeworth
Very informative and very helpful. I learned a ton and cried a little. Kamrava does a good job of criticizing Western meddling in the Middle East without being screechy.
Aaron
The title is misleading because @ the beginning of the book he delves into the foundations of Islam and the schism that occurred after Mohammed's death. He briefly touches on the interim period between then and the early 20th century as the title suggests. This is very much a scholarly work and he does a great job of just laying the facts out on the page with little to no opinion on events.
Lizeth
I haven't read many non-fiction books, but these past few months I decided I needed to enter that room and not be afraid. A friend of mine recommended this book and I'm glad I took his advice. It provides a very good and reader-friendly introduction to the Middle East. It doesn't read too much like a history book. In fact, some chapters read more like a short story. I recommend it.
Saman
the analysis in the book is excellent .

the book is an introduction because there are lots of things not mentioned.(although the author apologies for that in the introduction)

and i just felt like he was trying to put so much in the book sometimes it gets chaotic

Tracey Cruickshank
excellent reference point for anyone needing to know what the trues issues are in the middle east. Clear, understandable writing from the beginning of the o ottoman empire to the present. Last few chapters were a bit beyond my scope or interest level but glad I read them.
Ben
Lots of interesting information, but presented in a kinda dry standard history book kind of way.
Bill Kyzner
This is being used as a textbook. It is dense, but provides an excellent history.
Philippg
very informative and readable history of the middle east after WW1
Manu
Manu is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
A.y.
A.y. is currently reading it
May 04, 2014
Syne
Syne added it
Apr 23, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Muslim Stevenson
Muslim Stevenson marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Eddie
Eddie marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Ivor
Ivor marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Qatar: Small State, Big Politics The New Voices of Islam: Rethinking Politics and Modernity�A Reader Iran's Intellectual Revolution (Cambridge Middle East Studies) The International Politics of the Persian Gulf Revolution in Iran: The Roots of Turmoil