Start by marking “Hold the Dream (Emma Harte Saga #2)” as Want to Read:
Hold the Dream (Emma Harte Saga #2)

Hold the Dream (Emma Harte Saga #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  2,968 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Barbara Taylor Bradford’s enthralling New York Times bestseller A Woman of Substance introduced a remarkable heroine and her rise to fame, power, and wealth. Now the triumphant story—and unpredictable heritage—of Emma Harte continues…

A LEGACY TO SHARE
As the strong-willed force behind a thriving international business empire, Emma Harte built a life rooted in a single-minde...more
Published October 4th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Hold the Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold the Dream

Franzi Sportler
after finishing A Woman of Substance I read this sequel, and as in the first part, the author frequently goes overboard in details. Houses, rooms, people and clothes are described in the minutest particulars.
The story is kind of predictable, has its moments, and has lots of repetition, in itself as well as of the first part. The characters are not really interesting and really predictable, too, once they are established. I mostly enjoyed reading it, anyway, like one enjoys watching a really bad...more
Coralie
This is a 6 book series but I only read 5. I tried to read the 1st book, Woman of Substance, no way could I get into that book. I actually read the 4th book 1st & really like it. So I tried to start from the beginning & went to the 2nd book. I just loved this series. They are about a very wealthy family & friends. Good love stories & the drama in thier lives with Johnathon. I hope that the author writes one last book, if you read this series you will know what I am talking about.
Nada Abdelhalim
well where can i start, i really loved the book , loved paula's charater what a strong wise woman can do how she loved her gra. well they all loved her so much and tried to please her, little emily was a wise although of her young age well she is not little anymore she is a lady now.
hated that bastard ross and what he did, saddest part was the tragic death of david and jim but after all he she made back it to dear shane whom were perfect for each other.
liked what emma did with her will was real...more
Kinza Sheikh
After reading mostly thrillers and fast-pace fiction these days. This slow but steady novel was really relishing. Just like after enormous rides of bumpy and thrilly roller-coasters, one settle in a ferris wheel. No matter how thrill lover one is, he always enjoy those therapeutic rides. That was exactly the case here. As for the story, it was really slow at the start, then it started get interesting every minute. I really liked the character of Shane O'Niell, it was really interesting and well...more
Kathie
Read Woman of Substance again after many many years and now ready to tackle the series. Lots of repetition in Hold the Dream in case one forgot since Substance. Like the characters as adults. Sad loss of older characters but realistic as they can't all live forever. Enough mystery and conflict to keep me guessing. Agree with reviews that this book had too much detail of places, clothes, furnishings, but I'll keep reading as I'm Interested in the characters and how the author moves them into the...more
Emma
I really do love this series of books, I've read them multiple times since I was about 15 and each time something new comes through the story to me and its like its the first time I've read it, and I can't stop turning the pages. In some ways I enjoyed the second book much more than the first because the family really comes into its own in the present day, rather than looking back over 80 years as the first book does. Without the first book though, I think it is impossible to appreciate the seco...more
Angelina
I would have given it another star except that the author chose to make Emma pass away, instead of having her live to be 100 as I really thought she would. The saga is just not the same without her, and for that reason I lost all interest in reading the next book. "To Be The Best": how could it be, without Emma?

But I did enjoy the Paula/Shane storyline, and liked a lot of the minor characters, such as Emily and Winston. I also got to learn a bit about business deals, what goes on in a coroner's...more
Amanda
Definetly not as good as the first one. Like the first book this is really long. A lot of detail in the begining and then a real quick wrap up in the end.

The storyline was sort of all over the place. The story of the grandkids brought in too many characters. There were Emma's grandchildren then Blackie's grandchildren. She had cousins hooking up with each other.She tried to bring in a mystery with the murder but then she never followed through. All the suspisions were left open ended.

I was not...more
Carrington Stuart
Another amazing novel, that carries the thread of the story in A Woman of Substance forward to include another generation. Amazing read!
Georgine Pion
OK if you need beach reading and have absolutely nothing else to read.
Pat Buzby
Love a series and this one is the summer of 2012 for sure. I did have a series sob near the end when death affects the family, but it had to be when people are in their 80's in a book that is over 600 pages. So many characters...it's a good thing there was a family tree because I did have to refer occasionally. A bit soap opera in moments but heck the book was written in 1985 and soaps were still in. A good escape, I love Emma and the old fashioned love story...divorces...death...children...trav...more
Shannon Bradley
The only thing I don't like about these books is the tendency of the author to use big words when a simpler word would have done just as well. I find myself using the "look up" feature on my Nook much more when reading this series.

I am enjoying finally reading the whole series in order and one right after the other after not having been able to do so before. The story of Emma Harte and the legacy she left behind is touching and enthralling and soon you wish that you were a part of her family.
Kathy Sandlin
Jul 30, 2010 Kathy Sandlin marked it as to-read
Hmmmmm...all I can say is that the first one in this series was pretty good. Read it about 3 years ago. It followed the life of Emma Harte from her teenage years until she is 60 years old. This one picks up where the other left off when Emma is 60 years old and is so confusing since all of her kids and grandkids either hates each other or is sleeping with each other but they are all related. Not worth the 600 + page read. Made it until about page 200 and decided to call it quits.
Joanne Heim
A terrific sequel! So excited to read the next in the series!
Stickylittleleaves
The continuation of the Harte Saga continues where Emma Harte's favourite granddaughter Paula has taken center stage. We get to follow her in this book and the plot thickens. I can highly recommend this book too. The tv adaptation starred yet again Jenny Seagrove and Deborah Kerr, but this time Jenny plays Emma's granddaughter Paula. As Emma's longlife friend Blackie O'Neill we see Liam Neeson and as his grandson Shane we see 7th Heaven's Stephen Collins.
Kristen
This is another beautiful historical romance/saga series of the Emma Harte clan, the second after A Woman of Substance. This deals with a lot of family drama and suspense with plenty of romance and love and intrigue. Last week, I've read To Be the Best, which is the fourth book, after Emma's Secret. I'll read those two books next year. I'll be starting to read Unexpected Blessings, the last book in the series, tomorrow. A beautiful read.
Shanda
Another epic saga of the rich and faaabulus (needs to be said with a nasal annhhh sound for full effect). This follow-up to the wonderful Woman of Substance novel is a bit more predictable. I felt like I knew how the story was going to unfold, and I did. But I surely enjoyed the journey. BTB's books are a great escape for me. Fabulous wealth and jewels abound alongside tragedy and great challenges, and good will always win.
Linda
This is the second in the Emma Harte series. Emma has done quite well for herself and her family. She has lost some very important people in her life, Paul the man she adored and by whom she had her favorite child Daisy, Winston and Frank her beloved brothers. This book brings the next two generation of the Harte family. I enjoyed this book very much, hope you do also. Can't wait to start the next one.
Julie
Jul 15, 2014 Julie added it
The only book that has made me cry!
Anne Marie

I loved this book, even though I liked Woman of Substance better. The things that stand out in my mind are how surprising that more characters aren't alcoholics since all they do is drink, and the amount of cigarettes consumed is astounding! So glad Shane and Paula got back together at the end. I hope he finds out about what Ross did to her!
Shaylene
Well, I'm only a few chapters in, but so far it's just as well-written as A Woman of Substance, the first book in the Emma Harte saga by Barbara Taylor Bradford. It's very much a girl-book, and very Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights-ish.
Faith
Mar 04, 2012 Faith rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any woman
I loved this series. A Woman of Substance was without question the best of the series, but I enjoyed following the story with the other books. There is only one Emma Harte so the rest of the characters seem not quite so interesting but I still enjoyed reading them. Never gone back and re-read any of them like I have the first book.
Sherry Cooper
Not as good as Woman of Substance, but these books are addictive.
Sue
Sequel to 'Woman of Substance'. Emma is 80 and has been training her grandchildren to continue her vast business empire. Fairly readable although I wasn't very interested in the business side; rather spoilt by too many flashbacks to the previous book, pulling in unecessary details that simply filled space.
Connie
2nd in the Harte saga. Emma Harte died in this one and the story centered around Paula for the most part and how Shane and her finally decided to be together. It was very sad when Emma died and I thought this was as good as the first in this series.
Dyah Woro Dwi Lestari
menurut saya, hold the dream adalah seri yang paling menarik dari trilogi emma harte. alur ceritanya menarik, karena pada seri ini terjadi peralihan kepemilikan departemen store dari emma ke paula, cucunya dari suaminya yang sangat dia cintai, paul.
BoekenTrol
Oct 20, 2011 BoekenTrol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: Moem
Many years ago I read "A Woman of Substance" and always wondered how Emma was doing, if there was and end to her story.
And when I foudn this book in one of the book boxes Moem sent to me, I was SO happy... Look forward to read it!
Marianne
Quite a story, long book and the author is able to spend a lot of time on the details of her character's lives. Once I got into the story, I couldn't put it down.

I'm liking this series. Anxious to get the next one.
Emma
The sequel to Woman of Substance and enjoyable in a different way to the first. Real good read and love the highs and lows of the sprawling family and their trials.

Have read it many times.
  • Random Winds
  • Princess Daisy
  • Deceptions
  • Queenie
  • Heaven and Hell (North and South, #3)
  • Farther Afield (Fairacre, #11)
  • Thurston House
  • Sins of the Fathers
  • Bright Captivity (Georgia Trilogy, #1)
  • Destiny
  • Wicked Pleasures
  • Rivals (Rutshire Chronicles #2)
  • Charleston
  • Vendetta: Lucky's Revenge
Barbara Taylor Bradford is the author of 25 bestselling novels, including Playing the Game, Breaking the Rules, and The Ravenscar Dynasty. She was born in Leeds, England, and from an early age, she was a voracious reader: at age 12, she had already read all of Dickens and the Brontë sisters. By the age of twenty, she was an editor and columnist on Fleet Street. She published her first novel, A Wom...more
More about Barbara Taylor Bradford...
A Woman of Substance (Emma Harte Saga #1) To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3) Unexpected Blessings (Emma Harte Saga #5) Emma's Secret (Emma Harte Saga #4) A Sudden Change of Heart

“Love is a handful of seeds, marriage the garden, and like your gardens, Paula, marriage requires total commitment, hard work, and a great deal of love and care. Be ruthless with the weeds. Pull them out before they take hold. Bring the same dedication to your marriage that you do to your gardens and everything will be all right. Remember that a marriage has to be constantly replenished too, if you want it to flourish...” 12 likes
“fraction of a second, before asking,” 0 likes