Start by marking “The Middle Way: Faith Grounded in Reason” as Want to Read:
The Middle Way: Faith Grounded in Reason

The Middle Way: Faith Grounded in Reason

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The Dalai Lama opens The Middle Way with an elegant argument for the power of compassion in cultivating a happy life. From there, he connects core ideas of Buddhist philosophy to the truths of our shared condition. His Holiness delivers a sparklingly clear teaching on how the Buddhist ideas of emptiness and interdependency relate to personal experience and bring a deeper u ...more
Published August 10th 2009 by Wisdom Publications (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Middle Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Middle Way

Adam Uraynar
Jul 25, 2016 Adam Uraynar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
p7 enlightenment for the purpose of benefiting others

8 Middle Way (Madhyamaka) position as falling into the extreme of nihilism, while [...] Mind Only position as falling into the extreme of absolutism.

41 principle of nature just means that the world exists in a particular way and not another way [such as a rock sinks, and milk floats]

43 gross level of impermanence--as when we die or when, say, something is burned or demolished.

45 two kinds of cause and effect--material and mental

45 motivations
La Pomme
May 21, 2015 La Pomme rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I find it hard to rate this book as it was my first encounter with Buddhist philosophy. Ans as it turns out this is definitely not a book for beginners. Although it walks us through the basic concepts, it's aim is above all to offer Dalai Lama's interpretation of classical Buddhist texts. Quote by quote they are analysed and often translated to simpler, modern language.
Bryan
Jul 14, 2016 Bryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be helpful in understanding the Dalai Lama's approach to Buddhist philosophy, but in many ways this is a less practical book than I had hoped. It is also full of the paradoxical philosophic statements so common in deeper Buddhist literature. I also found the focus on achieving Nirvana to be not very applicable to my own interests in Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, as I am not a Buddhist myself. Still, it was helpful in explaining some of the motivations inherent in Buddhist ...more
Joyce Lagow

Anyone who thinks that Tibetan Buddhism is somehow the path of airy-fairy mysticism is dead flat wrong. In fact, the subtitle of the book--Faith Grounded in Reason--gives far more of an indication of what Buddhism really is. I have often thought that the Shakyamuni Buddha was the first and possibly the greatest systems analyst/process engineer. All the deification and ritual was superimposed, much later. Underneath, the foundation of Buddhism is process analysis: the origin of suffering, cause a
Hernán
The book is divided in two parts. The first part is a walkthrough of another book written by Nagarjuna. Also, some basic buddhist concepts are explained. This first part keeps getting increasingly harder to understand as you continue reading, thus requiring the reader to be extremely focused in the reading if you care to understand what the author is trying to say.

In the second part of the book, as the concepts are supposedly "well-explained" in the first part, the Dalai Lama just goes directly
Gita
Aug 27, 2016 Gita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My rating probably shouldn't be taken in consideration as I did not finish the book.
I gave up at 18%, it's not a book for beginners though I've been attending a beginners course. It goes from one truth to another and mixes it all together, I simply could not follow all of that.

Perhaps I am just not there yet, but perhaps the book could've been written better as I don't feel like I'm at the stage where I don't understand Buddhism.
Kathleen Loucks
Feb 09, 2015 Kathleen Loucks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diversity
very hard to get through, but very interesting, about the Buddhist teachings about emptiness
Stephanie
Mar 25, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
This book was highly esoteric at times. I would think to myself, "It's a good thing I took that 'Introduction to Buddhism' class in University".

Having said that, it was a good read. It made the topic at hand accessible without dumbing it down or oversimplifying.
Brad
Teachings given by the Dalai Lama in 2004. I was there but don't remember the depth of his analysis of Nagarjuna's views. I am glad to have this reference.
Sandi
Aug 11, 2010 Sandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book and good preparation for upcoming Kalachakra initiation
Charles Burton
Charles Burton marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Hans Lepouttre
Hans Lepouttre marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Herve
Herve marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Neenah
Neenah marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Nicole Viscome
Nicole Viscome rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Gene
Gene marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Richard Meacham
Richard Meacham marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Charles Warner
Charles Warner marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
KimberleyYasmin
KimberleyYasmin marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Diane Allen-harkins
Diane Allen-harkins marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Giulia Reyers
Giulia Reyers marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Heleen
Heleen marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Jennifer Mcandrew
Jennifer Mcandrew marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Didi Ong
Didi Ong marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Seth
Seth marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
  • The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment (Volume 1)
  • The Lankavatara Sutra: Translation and Commentary
  • The Shambhala Principle: Discovering Humanity's Hidden Treasure
  • The Flower Ornament Scripture: A Translation of the Avatamsaka Sutra
  • The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism
  • The Heart of Understanding: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra
  • The Connected Discourses of the Buddha: A New Translation of the Samyutta Nikaya
  • Crazy Wisdom
  • The Bodhisattva's Brain : Buddhism Naturalized
  • The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: The Buddha's Way of Mindfulness
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...