The Key to The Name of the Rose: Including Translations of All Non-English Passages

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose is a brilliant mystery set in a fictitious medieval monastery. The text is rich with literary, historical, and theoretical references that make it eminently re-readable. The Key makes each reading fuller and more meaningful by helping the interested reader not merely to read but also to understand Eco's masterful work. Inspired by pleas f...more
Published October 15th 1999 by University of Michigan Press (first published June 1987)

Andres
Indispensable guide to Umberto Eco's novel The Name of the Rose. It provides translations for the untranslated bits and pieces (and there are lots and lots of untranslated bits and pieces), as well as giving brief paragraphs on the people, places, events, and/or allusions that are referred to throughout the novel.

It does get tiring after a while having to flip to the book so that you can understand yet another Latin or what-have-you phrase or sentence or paragraph, and reading the different para...more
Chris
I'm rating this book purely on utility. There are two main sections to the book - a chapter with short introduction to some historical characters and events referenced in the book that the average reader will know little to nothing about. I read these before starting the novel and then referenced them as needed while reading. They are interesting enough in themselves and provide much needed context. I could have actually used more of a reference (quick, what were the differences between a Franci...more
Gundula
May 21, 2012 Gundula rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone reading The Name of the Rose
Highly recommended for anyone reading or intending to read Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, but especially for anyone feeling frustrated with and by the book (I was ready to give up, but this book made me reconsider). The essays and information included are very informative, and the large section of translations of all of the non-English passages are amazing and a godsend to those who are not fluent in Latin, Greek, Italian etc., but do want to know, or need to know what all, or most of the n...more
Gavin
Placed under detective tag due to its being a companion piece to The Name of the Rose. As the title says it translates all the non-English parts of the mentioned book. I got it for my third reading just to see if my translations had been accurate. On the whole they had been, except for one or two bits.

The book under review would be of great use to anyone with little or no knowledge of French, Italian, Latin and other languages used by Eco while reading The Name of the Rose itself.
Carolyn
I actually found it distracting to try to read this in parallel with the novel. The back and forth made the reading of the novel itself disjointed. I probably should have just read a few chapters of the novel, made notes where I wanted clarification, then consulted this reference book afterward.
Jjewell
My first time through "The Name of the Rose" I did my best to puzzle through the Latin myself, but having this book to hand definitely increased my understanding and enjoyment the second (and third...) times.
incredible LaLa
Feb 22, 2008 incredible LaLa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
yah, sebagai anak yang sedikit lemot..buku ini sangat membantu untuk memahami cerita di dalamnya....ga kalah penting sama buku novel in the name of the rose-nya...
A.K. Klemm
Extremely helpful. Read it during my readathon of The Name of the Rose: http://anakalianwhims.wordpress.com/2...
Paras Allana
This book was helpful when I started The name of the rose. Not just because of the translations but because of the historical contexts as well.
Mark Dickson
Having the latin quotes translated and the references explained or at least in context helped me gain deeper appreciation for this work.
Chris
Definitely a helpful book when reading The Name of the Rose. Especially if you'd like to know what the many non-English words/phrases mean.
Robert
It seems like cheating, but if you don’t know medieval French, it’s probably a necessary companion to The Name of the Rose.
Dion Yulianto
Buat apa ya dulu saya beli buku ini padahal buku induknya malah belum punya? hiks

jawabannya ya karena lagi obralan muahahaha
Jean
Very helpful! A must-have companion to Eco's _Name of the Rose_.
Aaron Allbright
A must-have companion if you read Eco's "The Name of the Rose"
Jennifer Sigman
Good to have on hand when you read "The Name of the Rose"
India
Very helpful when reading The Name of the Rose.
Zane
dont judge me
Narek Ghazazyan
Narek Ghazazyan marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Teampants
Teampants marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Timbo
Timbo marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Luke Padgett
Luke Padgett marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Charles Carlini
Charles Carlini marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014