Start by marking “A Hummingbird in My House: The Story of Squeak” as Want to Read:
A Hummingbird in My House: The Story of Squeak

A Hummingbird in My House: The Story of Squeak

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  134 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Anyone who has fallen under the spell of the hummingbird will treasure this lovable true story of a young ruby-throated hummingbird who becomes part of someone's household and life. 57 full-color photographs; 10 black-and-white drawings.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published November 3rd 2010 by Crown (first published March 6th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Hummingbird in My House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hummingbird in My House

Leah
Jan 23, 2012 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love hummingbirds, I mean, I really love them. I look for them every spring, wait expectantly, and get all giddy when the first one shows up at my feeder. This book is the story of a winter spent with a hummingbird who otherwise would have died in the cold. Arnette rescues the little guy and happens to have the perfect sunroom in her house to keep him. The reader takes the joyous little journey with her as she raises this bird, keeps him warm, fed, and bathed, and eventually prepares for his r ...more
Nona Williams
This very short book contained interesting information and was a very quick read, but I was distracted while reading it as the author slipped into awkward paragraphs in passive voice. It is professionally published and I wondered why her editor failed request corrections.

The book contains a number of lovely photos and it included charming stories about the author's personal interactions with this attractive little bird.
Jacque Mgebroff
Hummingbirds are fascinating little things. So very small but also very tough birds. A Hummingbird in My House is a story about the winter Arnette Heidcamp rescued a baby hummingbird that was left behind during migration. The book is packed with information on these little guys. For example, they seem easy to train, they aren't particularly afraid of human beings or hawks, they eat hundreds of pounds of bugs a day. The story takes the reader on a straight route from point A to point B. Amen. Why ...more
Ann Amadori
After reading the two books about Arnie the starling, I was interested to read about this hummingbird that the author "rescued" for the winter. She made detailed observations about his behavior. I found it interesting but more clinical than the Arnie books, although Squeak seemed to develop a definite personality as she got to know him.
Leslie
Jun 27, 2015 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pictures are lovely enough to almost make up for the mediocre writing. Hummingbird pictures always amaze me, particularly when they capture the iridescent quality of their colors. So...just look at the pictures. It's enough.
Caryn
Mar 15, 2010 Caryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about hummingbirds. It was a happy book about a woman who took in a young hummingbird over a winter. I could never have devoted so much but it was uplifting.
Pat
Jul 17, 2013 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful little book and a must-read if you have even the slightest interest in hummingbirds. The photographs alone are worth picking this book up.
Pamela Barrett
Nov 30, 2009 Pamela Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story of a young male Hummingbird who stayed long past migration and the woman who learned how to take care of him.
Karissa
Dec 01, 2011 Karissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learned alot about hummingbirds that I didn't know. Delightful story.
Samuel
Jan 25, 2016 Samuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rate this five stars, but I should note that this is a largely idiosyncratic choice. The author is a brilliant photographer, but an unexceptional writer. However, what comes across in this slim book is a story that she deeply wanted to tell, the story of a tiny bird who came into her life for a handful of months, and then departed, but who left an enormous impact on the author's heart. I believe in these kinds of stories, and they touch a soft spot deep inside me; I loved the moments I spent w ...more
Megalion
Jan 30, 2016 Megalion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Squeak is a young hummingbird who flew into a sunroom instead of beginning migration. The author is an avid fan of hummingbirds and gardener and decided to try helping the bird overwinter in the sun room as she could see he was under weight to migrate anyways. He wouldn't survive.

What follows is a detailed accounting of how she worked to keep his environment as natural seeming as possible, keep him well fed. She veers from a scientific logging to enjoying the moments of trans-species bonding.

I
Deborah
I was looking forward to this book. I learned a bit more about hummingbirds but I found a lot of this book stretching facts. I am stretching facts by giving it 3 stars. Ha
Allison
This is a beautiful little book with tons of great hummingbird pictures recounting the personal story of a little hummingbird that was rescued from a cold New York October when he for some reason failed to migrate south before the frost. He stayed in the author's sun room for the winter and was released in the spring. The book includes good general hummingbird information, but is primarily the story of Squeak. The pictures are amazing since the author was able to build a relationship of trust wi ...more
Kay Vanatta
Feb 05, 2015 Kay Vanatta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a FUN read!! If you are a hummingbird lover, this story of wintering over a young hummingbird will delight you!
Sandy Clark
Sweet story.
Amy
May 16, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing.
Amanda Arra
Sep 30, 2007 Amanda Arra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this little book on a sale rack at a bookstore years ago. It is the true story of a woman who found a hummingbird outside in the cold and took it into her greenhouse for the winter and then let it go in the spring. It allowed her to observe his behavior and take lots of wonderful photos. As a hummingbird freak, I totally dug this book, but anyone who is even remotely interested in nature would like it. A quick read with lots of photos.
Beth
Nov 14, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It all begins when the author observes a young ruby-throated hummingbird in her yard in late fall, long after the other hummingbirds have left. Knowing that he will surely die if left outside, she brings him into her home for the winter. This delightful story is beautifully illustrated with photographs of Squeak as he gracefully feeds on her amazing array of flowers, baths and preens, exercises and sunbaths.
Cher
Jul 06, 2008 Cher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ornithology
A woman notices one juvenile male hummingbird in her yard isn't migrating along with the others of his species as he should. What follows is her capturing him into her atrium and spending the next 6 months fattening him up. Adorable photos of Squeak pepper the pages. An excellent short read.
Jeannie
Jan 06, 2016 Jeannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeannie by: Don't remember where I got it - purchased or a gift.
Shelves: nonfiction, memior
What a sweet story. I love hummingbirds as well and enjoyed reading about the more detailed day-in-the-life of a hummer. They are such beautiful creatures. I hope Squeak had a long, happy life.
Sandy
Jan 19, 2008 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful tale of hummingbird/human friendship...well, OK, maybe the human outreach for connections with other creatures.
Patty
Apr 30, 2012 Patty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute little story about a hummingbird that stays after the season in a woman's house in upstate New York.
Fiona
Aug 21, 2009 Fiona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely written memoir from someone who lived with a Hummingbird for the winter.....
Wes Morrow
Very good, with lots of information based upon actual observations. Great pictures, too.
Marie
Jan 23, 2014 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story, well written, I gave this one to my Mom!!
Rachelckelly
Read this book for the shamelessly adorable pictures.
Scout
Scout marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
  • That Quail, Robert
  • The Parrot Who Owns Me: The Story of a Relationship
  • How to Be a (Bad) Birdwatcher
  • Providence of a Sparrow: Lessons from a Life Gone to the Birds
  • Kissed by a Fox: And Other Stories of Friendship in Nature
  • Of Parrots and People: The Sometimes Funny, Always Fascinating, and Often Catastrophic Collision of Two Intelligent Species
  • The Parrot Who Thought She Was a Dog
  • The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds
  • A Supremely Bad Idea: Three Mad Birders and Their Quest to See It All
  • The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill: A Love Story . . . with Wings
  • An Eagle Named Freedom: My True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • Enslaved by Ducks
  • Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons: A Journey to the Flora and Fauna of a Unique Island
  • Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds