Start by marking “Lost Dog” as Want to Read:
Lost Dog

Lost Dog (Skin Kadash #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Peter McKrall is at a crossroads–out of work, fighting a klepto habit, and trying to figure out his next move. Life takes an unexpected turn when a search for his niece's stuffed dog leads him to something else entirely: a bullet-riddled corpse. Talking to reporters lands Peter on the local news, which turns out to be a dangerous spotlight. And now Darla, the troubled daug ...more
Published April 8th 2007 by Midnight Ink (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Dog

Sean
Dec 09, 2010 Sean rated it really liked it
A wonderful noir tale. When a kleptomaniac gets caught up in a murder investigation he begins to look like a good suspect. One of the nicest things about this setup is that the protagonist screws up. A lot. He makes dumb decisions that later come back to bite him. Even better: the real killer is developed beautifully. At the beginning he is cast as a loser with a violent streak, but as his menace grows so too does the revelation that he himself is a victim. No one here is wearing a white hat.

Th
Carlee
Aug 24, 2015 Carlee rated it it was ok
First I’d just like to point out that I rarely read crime fiction, and I found Lost Dog in a box of free books on the side of the road, so I went in not knowing what to expect, and I come out not really knowing how to critique the book.

The best way I can describe this book is like watching an unsatisfying, but not unbearable tv movie. The title, first off, is very mediocre. Other than that, where the novel is good, it’s honestly pretty good, where it’s bad, it’s laughably bad. In my experience,
Johnny
Jan 23, 2011 Johnny rated it really liked it
At the heart of any Hitchcockian "ordinary man in extraordinary circumstance" thriller, is the moment where our hero is at the wrong place at the wrong time. In the case of LOST DOG, we find our hero looking for a lost stuffed animal in a park.

Using coincidence is often at the heart of any thriller. The execution is very delicate and, for the most part, Cameron is successful in making us believe that when two people come together at the most inopportune moment, it is fate. A couple of times it e
Heather Petty
Jun 30, 2010 Heather Petty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned, mystery
I'll first say that I spent all of my high school and college years reading mystery novels for fun. But when it was time for me to start writing my own books, I read only from the genre I was writing. And sadly for me and my childhood dreams, a mystery writer I AM NOT.

After following Bill Cameron on Twitter for a while and learning that his latest book came out this year, I FINALLY ordered his backlist. I have never been so glad I did.

All of my mystery love returned the minute I dove into this
Harvey
Jan 21, 2011 Harvey rated it liked it
Bill Cameron was on an "up and coming author" list I saw so, as is my habit, I went back to the first book in the series.

This is a good, non-derivative version of the "the cops think I did it so I have to figure out who did" plot. The main character is charming but unambitious/unemployed who stumbles upon a body. Chaos (and falling in love) ensue. Good use of the Portland, OR location.

Several of the chapters are told from the crazy killer's POV. I could have done w/o this as it was cliched and p
Rob Haug
Mar 06, 2012 Rob Haug rated it liked it
I read this book because it is in a genre I like, and because it is a Portland author (my hometown). Seemed like a good first effort. My likes: captured the mood of the town in winter. Dialogue was believable. Characters were distinct. My only real dislike was the antagonist. He was actually drawn up well, but I was simply repulsed by his demeanor (as I was supposed to be). It really boils down to the descriptiveness of the character's behavior. George RR Martin does the same thing, and his book ...more
Evelyn
Nov 22, 2011 Evelyn rated it really liked it
When Peter McKrall goes out early after Christmas to look for his niece's stuffed dog left in the park, he doesn't find it. Instead he finds the body of a prostitute murdered and left in a large sewer pipe--the kind kids play in--which unleashes a chain of events that makes him the next target of the deranged killer.

I read Bill Cameron's fourth book recently and liked it so much I went back to get the others. An interesting crime novel with unique characters and realistic dialogue. I'm definitel
Malerie Ward
Apr 02, 2014 Malerie Ward rated it really liked it
Great book.
Linda
Mar 01, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: discussion-group
My favorite librarian thought I might like this book because it takes place in Portland ... practically in my daughter's backyard in fact. Sporting a cast of interesting, definitely off-beat characters, this crime mystery fiction, rather noir, definitely caught the flavor of certain neighborhoods. I felt as though I were walking along with Peter McKrall every step of the way. An enjoyable read, an interesting development of the psyche of the murderer over the course of the story.
Carolyn Rose
Aug 29, 2011 Carolyn Rose rated it liked it
This book is a good example of how an author can make things worse for a character at every turn and keep readers hanging on.
It's not a book for every reader. It's gritty and raw, and gets into the mind of the protagonist--a man with a host of issues--and the mentally unbalanced creepy killer.
Lots of good description of Portland, Oregon, and I'm looking forward to seeing the detective, Skin Kadash, take a larger role in later books.
Sean
Dec 28, 2008 Sean rated it liked it
i know the author so i figured i'd support him and buy this book. i read it quickly and it was just alright. i really hoped it would be better. then again, this was his first effort so i'll probably buy his next and hope for improvement.
Yaya
Jul 21, 2012 Yaya rated it it was amazing
Robin
Feb 08, 2009 Robin rated it really liked it
First book in the "Skin Kadash" detective series set in Portland. Very noir and gritty.
Chris
Dec 27, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
i read this book a long time ago, and loved it. it would definately be in my top ten
Richard
Apr 29, 2008 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Chris
Sep 20, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing
Another great Bill Cameron book! Cant wait to get my hands on another one!
Denise
Jan 17, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
Great writer, great plot. 373 pages
Tanya
Feb 16, 2012 Tanya rated it really liked it
It was a good book. Not great but good.
Kim
Feb 08, 2009 Kim rated it it was ok
test dwcdefewfe
Becky
Jul 26, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
...
Angel Rodriguez
Angel Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
William E. Loucks
William E. Loucks marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Guylaine Dubuc
Guylaine Dubuc marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
hervey baldwin
hervey baldwin rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Tay Smith
Tay Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
hallie
hallie rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Jeanne O'donnell
Jeanne O'donnell rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Alexus Carmichael
Alexus Carmichael marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Gloria
Gloria is currently reading it
May 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
521972
Critically-acclaimed mystery novelist Bill Cameron is the author of the dark, gritty mysteries Chasing Smoke and Lost Dog , both featuring irascible Portland homicide cop Skin Kadash. New York Times Bestselling Portland author Chelsea Cain describes Skin's third outing, Day One , as "an utterly engrossing page-turner." Booklist says, "[Day One is] unrelievedly bleak and gritty yet thoroughly c ...more
More about Bill Cameron...

Skin Kadash (4 books)