Start by marking “A Year in My Kitchen” as Want to Read:
A Year in My Kitchen

A Year in My Kitchen

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Skye Gyngell presents a treasure trove of dishes especially created to make the most of ingredients at their seasonal best. Her enthusiasm for great-tasting food is conveyed on every page, providing a constant source of inspiration.
Unknown Binding
Published October 20th 2006 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Year in My Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Year in My Kitchen

Rebecca
I had such high hopes for this book but sadly they didn't really come true. Rather than joyful, seasonal fare, the savoury recipes are almost all fussy salads, that take hours to produce and use all sorts of fancy ingredients but don't really seem to amount to anything that is going to be more than a dinner party starter... and some of the things Skye comes out with, talk about pretentious!- 'another old fashioned idea of mine is that celery eaten raw should be peeled. It's an attention to detai...more
Chez
at first didn't see the merit of this book. None of the recipes really grabbed me. I couldn't figure out why it won any awards. But I went online and found the Petersham Nurseries and scrolled around the site. It would be nice to visit that's for sure. Sounds like an interesting concept to own a business such as this. For a Cook like me the business inspired me, so I opened the book and had another look around and then did find a few recipes that I should try. Didn't buy the book, I always borro...more
Aja Marsh
nice recipes everyday people can accomplish (for the most part) without any crazy ingredients. Solid recipes with some interesting flavor combinations that had me intrigued, but not so interesting as to be unapproachable. The emphasis was on quality ingredients that can be used in multiple ways which I think is more realistic to how most people cook. I wish there were either more photos of the food or fewer photos of unrelated things.
Mary
I took this book out from the library based on the critical acclaim I have seen given to it. I enjoy eating with the seasons and appreciated the recipes being grouped together in this way. A decent selection of vegetarian recipes (as I'm veggie) and this was recommended in a veggie magazine, but not a book I'd refer to that often. Her 'toolbox' of spices was also very informative.
Tara
A beautifully photographed cookbook from the innovative chef Skye Gyngell. The book is organized by season and the recipes are designed to showcase seasonal flavors and textures. (In summer, she offers up baked aubergines with tomatoes and tarragon, for example; in autumn, baked quince with honey, bay, and verjuice.) The recipes I've tried have worked out well.
Cheryl
I love this cookbook. Skye's story is amazing anyway, but the way she thinks about food and how it all works together with the seasons and on the plate is wonderful. Her "Toolbox" of condiments is the key to her beautiful food. I love this book, I love the Petersham Nurseries and I love the understated elegance of Skye Gyngell.
Virginia
Beautiful pictures! Not really what I expected, only found about 3 recipes I want to try. Expected more narrative I think.
Mj
Sweet potato frittata, baked quince, yummmm
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Ralee
Ralee marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Rayanne
Rayanne marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Giulia
Giulia marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2014
Mrs. Carstens
Mrs. Carstens marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Bea Gallego
Bea Gallego marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Anna Rose
Anna Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Lindsey Yonk
Lindsey Yonk marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
521926
Skye Gyngell is head chef at Petersham Nurseries Café in Richmond, Surrey, and an established food writer, contributing regularly to the Independent on Sunday, Vogue and delicious. Born in Australia, Skye has worked as a chef in Sydney, Paris and London. Since 2004, she has been pivotal in establishing Petersham’s reputation for excellent food and an impressive number of awards. A Year in my Kitch...more
More about Skye Gyngell...
My Favorite Ingredients How I Cook Grown in Britain Cookbook