Start by marking “The First Tortilla: A Bilingual Story” as Want to Read:
The First Tortilla: A Bilingual Story

The First Tortilla: A Bilingual Story

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"The First Tortilla" is a moving, bilingual story of courage and discovery. A small Mexican village is near starvation. There is no rain, and the bean and squash plants are dying. Jade, a young village girl, is told by a blue hummingbird to take a gift to the Mountain Spirit. Then it will send the needed rain.

Burning lava threatens her, but Jade reaches the top of the volc
Published May 1st 2007 by University of New Mexico Press

To ask other readers questions about The First Tortilla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Tortilla

Juanita Serna
This book is a great book for a a read aloud. The first tortilla is about a young girl who has to go up a mountain to talk to the Mountain Spirit and ask for rain. Her small Mexican village is near starvation and without the rain, they will all have to move. After many obstacles she reaches the top of the volcanoes and gifts the Mountain Spirit a gift. The Mountain Spirit leads the way to a cave where corn is grown. She takes some corn back with her and plants it. She then grinds the rest, mixes ...more
Jim Sibigtroth
This is a bilingual story where English and Spanish are placed adjacent to each other. It also contains a glossary where several Spanish words are explained. This is useful when beginning readers are learning about the parts of a book. The story shows how corn can be ground into flour with a stone matate. It shows corn kernels in yellow, blue, white, and red so I bring some ears of real Indian corn to show the students that wild corn isn't just yellow like they are used to. The young girl in the ...more
Dusty
Okay, so I am deeply committed to Anaya's magnum opus, Bless Me, Ultima, and am even teaching it to my classes of ninth grade students here on the US-Mexico border. Anaya is an original, insightful, lyrical, masterful writer. I picked up The First Tortilla because I was drawn to its illustrations and because I thought it might prove an interesting discussion piece in my classroom as my students delve into Ultima.

Tortilla is about a young Mexican girl who pleases the amorphous "Mountain God" and
Jessica Valdez
This book was great! I definitely believe that it can be used for students from the lowest grades to the highest. The vocabulary was simple and refined, but the concept behind the story is what is so versatile. With the older grades we can utilize this book when teaching about cultivation. When using it for the lower grades, we can teach about family and perseverance. This was an all around good book and was a great read.
Carolina
Lots of writing. Great images. Good story for 4/5+

Particularly those with more Spanish instruction. The language is challenging and compelling
Cassandra Neal
This book is the story of Jade who travels to the top of a volcano to present corn kernals to the Mountain spirit who is angry at the lack of honor given to him by the people of the village. Jade is instructed by a hummingbird to present this gift to end the drought that the Mountain spirit has plagued her village with. When the rain returns and the corn blooms, Jade uses the crop mixed with water to create the first tortilla. This book closely mirrors books such as The Legend of The Bluebonnet ...more
Barbara Lovejoy
What a DELIGHTFUL book! I had read 2 or 3 times the book Bless Me, Ultima--in English and Spanish--written for adults by this author and had so thoroughly enjoyed it that I looked forward to reading this book written for children. I bought this book to put in our Esperanza school library with money donated by one of our founding Esperanza board members.
Sheila Rocha
Lovely and magical! An Anaya addition to a children's library. He reclaims an ancient story and vivifies the imagery of indigenous Mexico through word and the rich layers of color and form by artist/illustrator Amy Cordova. Cordova manifests the visual elements of the story through the eyes of a child.
Katherine
I read this book to my first grade class for a folktales thematic unit and I absolutely loved it and so did the kids. I pulled in a multi-cultural aspect since most of my students are hispanic and I love the fact that it has a heroine in it. Great book about family and culture.
Jen
This was great. This book is equally full of Spanish and English, translated well and has nice pictures. I'm not sure that this story is true folklore or not, but it certainly can be entertaining. Too long for a read aloud or bed time. imo.
Espen Lyshek
great pics for a great story a girl goes to a mounten to stop a drout.
Jasper Davis
I thought this book was good because the picture's are awesome.
Mckinley
Fun to read the spanish trying to understand the story.
Wanda Soto
Sep 27, 2013 Wanda Soto marked it as to-read
This book its so interesting for my little sister (:
Kraig
I loved the picture`s. But it was`nt my type.
Adriannasantos
Adriannasantos marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Gh Maziad
Gh Maziad marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Mariam
Mariam marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Bilgesubilgen
Bilgesubilgen marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Joette Ceballos
Joette Ceballos marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Joette Ceballos
Joette Ceballos marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rudolfo Anaya lives and breathes the landscape of the Southwest. It is a powerful force, full of magic and myth, integral to his writings. Anaya, however, is a native Hispanic fascinated by cultural crossings unique to the Southwest, a combination of oldSpain and New Spain, of Mexico with Mesoamerica and the anglicizing forces of the twentieth century. Rudolfo Anaya is widely acclaimed as the foun ...more
More about Rudolfo Anaya...
Bless Me, Ultima Alburquerque Tortuga Zia Summer Heart of Aztlan